Start by marking “Bewitching the Duke (Wise Woman, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bewitching the Duke (Wise Woman, #1)

Bewitching the Duke (Wise Woman #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  136 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Only Her Desire…

After losing his wife in childbirth, Colin Barrett, Duke of Northrop, does not trust healers. So when he discovers Selina White cleansing his home, he is livid. As duke, Colin is accustomed to his charges taking orders from him. But the fiery Selina has the audacity to defy him when he asks her to leave his lands. More infuriating, he cannot stop thinking a
Published December 6th 2012 by eKensington

To ask other readers questions about Bewitching the Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bewitching the Duke

Lisa
Colin Barrett, Duke of Northrop, is forced to return to his country home and attend some matters so all is ready for a upcoming wedding. He has avoided the place for eight years following the death of his child and wife due to, he believes, the ineptness of the local healer. So when he awakens to the healers daughter cleansing his home, he is irate...but the sassy lady captures his attention. Has she no sense of propriety? Women wear their hair bound, not loose around their shoulders. They wear ...more
Kathie (katmom)
Thank you, NetGalley and Kensington Books, for giving me the opportunity to read BEWITCHING THE DUKE by Christie Kelley.

This summary pulled me right in:

Only Her Desire…

Tin
This is a 2.5-star book for me.

* * *

Selina White serves as wise woman of Northrop Park, the seat of Colin Barrett, the Duke of Northrop, a man who has very strong reasons for hating the ancient practice. Years before, Selina's mother was called to help in the birth of Colin's heir, but the tragic turn of events resulted in the death of the child and of Colin's wife. The duke left the estate soon after intending never to return to Northrop Park and all the painful memories that lingered there.

Co
Beth
The Duke of Northrop, Colin Barrett, lost his wife and new born child 8 years prior during child birth. He blames himself for demanding that she give birth in his ancestral home. He also blames the wise woman that over saw the birthing. Returning to Northrop on the insistence of his family, he discovers Selina White cleansing his home. Irate, that the daughter of the woman he blames for the death of his beloved wife is in his home, he casts her out of her home and his lands.

The tenants are havi
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
VERY ENTERTAINING HR !!!

Bewitching The Duke was entertaining and it held my interest. Colin Barrett the 7th Duke of Northrop has returned to Northrop estates to prepare his run down home for his sisters Kate's wedding. Colin has been gone for 8 yrs letting his estate go down in disrepair. Colin is a troubled soul becasue he lost his wife Mary and his Heir in the Child Bed at Northrop now he hates being there.

Selena White is called a Wise women. A Healer of sorts. Healer wise women's skills have
Bunga
Lumayan menarik. Saya butuh waktu lama buat selesai baca. 3 jam mungkin...

Heroine di sini adalah Selina, seorang wise woman (healer tp agak mix dukun gt kali ya), dan Hero di sini adalah Colin-Duke of Northrop yang 8 tahun lalu istri+bayinya meninggal saat persalinan gara2 ibunya Selina yang membantu persalinannya waktu itu.

Di awal cerita Colin berusaha utk ngusir Selina dari estatenya karena dia gak sanggup melihat reminder kenangan pahit kematian istri dan anaknya, eh... servant-servant di e
Patricia Wissore
I hadn't read this author before, but picked up the book for something new. I was really glad I did! I loved the story line about how the h was very comfortable with herself and her life. The H was dark and brooding with a past that Selina was able to work thru and assist him in living and loving again. The author gave you just enough information on the characters backgrounds that you could see and understand where they were coming from. I do wish she had given just a little bit more background ...more
Tracy T
This was an okay story. The hero and heroine were good, had some good chemistry a few nicely written sex scenes. There was a lot of dialogue in this book, which I liked. I liked the secondary characters.

However there was not much substance to the story, no mystery or anything like that. One secret you found out about at the end, but no OMG moments at all.

I do like the writing style so I will listen to the next book and hope it is a bit more exciting than this one.

I listened via audible as I re
Stephanie

E-Book
File Size: 899 KB Print Length: 234 pages

ONLY HER DESIRE…

Farrah
This review also appears on my blog at http://www.thegoldenruleof666.blogspo...

Absolutely lovely! Bewitching the Duke was so sweet and perfect, I just adored it. Definitely a winner.

Selina is different from most historical romance characters you come across. She's no society lady. She's a wise woman who is more or less exempt from society's rules. And she was took full advantage of that. But she was also very loyal to the people on the duke's estate that she took care of. She's determined to con
Kay Naughty Book Snitch
Selina is a wise woman/healer for the Duke of Northrop's estate. She is caught trying to do a cleansing of his home prior to a wedding that's to take place there. The Duke is furious about this because he blames a wise woman for the death of his wife and son. When he finds out that woman in his house is none other than the daughter of that wise woman, he is beyond furious.

He has her thrown out of the house and eventually off his estate. The only problem is that his tenants that he has neglected
Diana N Neal
Selina and her family have been the wise women of the village of Staffordshire for centuries. They have always had an compatible relationship with the Dukes of Northrop who own the land. Until eight years ago when Colin, the current Duke, lost his wife and blamed Selina's mother. Now, Colin has returned; still haunted by his loss and wanting no reminders of that time, which includes Selina.

Despite the sad blurb, this was a good story. Selina was one of those heroines I enjoy reading about: stubb
Shauni
Bewitching the Duke is a story that has been told and while it was a pleasant read, I am sad to say it has been told better. Christie Kelley, writes likeable characters, but they seem to lack connection. That being said this was not a bad book. Believe me I have read bad books.. this book was sweet and unassuming and it offers a reader a chance to escape for a few moments.

Colin Barrett, Duke of Northrop is one angry man. Bitter because his wife and child died in childbirth.. angry at the "wise w
Belinda
I finished reading Bewitching the Duke by Christie Kelley and it was well written and very sensual. I really liked both main characters. Ever since Colin Barrett, Duke of Northrop, lost his wife in child birth, he has not moved on. He has mourned his wife and is afraid to love again. Then he meets Selina White who is a wise woman and healer who lives on his property. Colin can’t abide so called healers, who he thinks aren’t professional as doctors. He is confronted by the fiery Selina who defies ...more
Alexander Petkovski
Bewitching The Duke is a historical fiction set in England 1814. The main characters are Selina White, a wise lady who tends the ill people and delivers babies and Colin Barret, Duke of Northrop. Colin comes back to the manor to prepare for his second wedding. He hates the house because he lost his wife and son there. When he comes back he finds Seline in his bedroom. He gets furious and chases her out of the house. Later, Colin finds her and tells her to leave the place for the next two months. ...more
Maria
Colin and Selina' s story was beautiful. The first half was a little slow, but then it picked up quiet nicely. There was hot love scenes, which I loved. Colin had been grieving to for his dead wife and son for eight years. Selina was the wise woman on his estate. Can she heal him, while hiding a secret? Will he come out of his grieving finally? This was a really a good book. This was book 1.
Vashti
I usually tend to stay away from books where the hero is still clinging to the memory of a long dead wife,in this case 8 years has past since she died in childbirth along with the child.
But I enjoy this author's books and decided to give it a chance.The book held my intrest ,but could have hit the hero over the head several times and told him to get over with it all ready.I mean years have past man and you need to get on with your life.

When he finally realizes the heroine is the love of his life
Kelly_Instalove
Feb 12, 2013 Kelly_Instalove rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kelly_Instalove by: 2012-12-06 - Zebra
Grade: DNF

Dammit! This little hoyden had disturbed his thought process.

I struggled to reach my 33% decision point, and there just wasn’t anything different about this Regency to keep me reading. The dialogue was repetitive, the plot had yet to move forward in any meaningful way, and I never connected with either of the main characters.

Also: Important secondary characters are twins named Mia and Tia. That’s not a good way to encourage me to keep reading or, god forbid, buy their sequels.

However,
Teresa

Ebook ARC from Netgalley for honest review.

This is the first book by Christie Kelley I have read. I found this book well written and the characters likable and genuine. The plot was easy to follow as well.
I liked that the hero kept faithful to a wife that he still loved and missed, especially since his feelings for her were a main plot point. It is too common for the hero of a historical romance, especially one set in regency England, to be a rake and womanizer.
My only real complain
Mary Vilarino
Selene is a spunky one could almost say modern woman, who speaks her mind. Colin is a selfish Neanderthal but one who eventually learns to be a better human being. I enjoyed the book and the whole story
Dwi_eternity Lestari
ceritanya agak maksa gak sih....
alurnya kayaknya gak smooth
beberapa kali mengernyit
dan gak bikin emosi
datar aja
Beckey
When the Duke, Colin, awakens to find the local healer, Selina, in his room preforming a cleansing, he is seriously furious. Colin has an aversion for healers after losing his first wife during childbirth. Colin is comfortable making orders and demands that Selina to stop and never to return.
Selina disregards Colin and his orders. What happens next is something that you will need to read?
The storyline was written excellently but it was pretty much predictable story to what was going to happen.
Tory
. I am not really a historical details buff, but there were times where it seemed that the speech was pretty contemporary rather than what would be accurate for the time period. Colin tended to react angrily to everything and Selina tended to ignore anything that didn't fit in with her plans or at least try to find a way around it.
Ceacily cici Sherly
ceritanya oke...chemistry lead ce n conya oke tapiii endingnya gag oke...well hepi ending sih,cm saya berasa ada yg kurang penyelesaian masalahnya gampang bener..gag bikin tegang n deg2an...jadinya agak kecewa padahal chapter2 awal feelnya dpt bgt *sigh*
Karen Darling
This was too much. She's living on his property he kicks her off the property, she secretly moves into a room in his house, she switches rooms, she moves to her friends house, this book was just too much.
Amy
It was alright. I want to give it three stars because I finally, FINALLY finished it, but it really doesn't deserve three stars.
Shelly Bell
I've been waiting forever for this book. Loved it and I can't wait for Mia and Tia's stories.
Helen
Loved this story I fell into it and could hardly put it down looking forward to the next one
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 14 hours, 36 min ago
  • The Way to a Duke's Heart (The Truth About the Duke, #3)
  • The Mad Lord's Daughter
  • The Tattooed Duke (The Writing Girls, #3)
  • All I Want For Christmas is a Duke
  • The French Maid
  • The Bride of the Unicorn
  • Isaac's Decision (Nebraska Historicals, #9)
  • Treasure Me (The Legend Hunters, #3)
  • The Art of Duke Hunting (Royal Entourage, #2)
  • Sunrise with a Notorious Lord (Lords of Vice, #4)
  • When You Give a Duke a Diamond (Jewels of the Ton, #1)
  • One Night with an Earl (House of Trent, #2.5)
  • A Duke to Die For (The Rogues' Dynasty #1)
  • Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel (Beau Monde, #1)
  • How to Ravish a Rake (How To Series #3)
  • What a Duke Wants
  • How to Romance a Rake (Ugly Ducklings #2)
  • A Study in Seduction (Daring Hearts, #1)
Christie Kelley was born and raised in upstate New York. As a child, she always had a vivid imagination and the bad dreams that go along with it, or perhaps the dreams were caused by the five brothers and three sisters she lived with. After seventeen years working for financial institutions in software development, she took a leap of faith and started her first book. Seven years later, her first b ...more
More about Christie Kelley...

Wise Woman (2 books)
  • Enticing the Earl (Wise Woman, #2)
Every Night I'm Yours (The Spinster Club, #1) One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5) Scandal of the Season (The Spinster Club, #4) Every Time We Kiss (The Spinster Club, #2) Something Scandalous (The Spinster Club, #3)