Start by marking “The Geek Handbook: Practical Skills and Advice for the Likeable Modern Geek” as Want to Read:
The Geek Handbook: Practical Skills and Advice for the Likeable Modern Geek

The Geek Handbook: Practical Skills and Advice for the Likeable Modern Geek

And the GEEKS shall inherit the earth! Although it may not be good for their pasty white skin, Geeks these days are enjoying a moment in the sun. From Pop Culture to High-Tech Everything, Geeks rule and everybody else, well, drools.

Drawing on his own knowledge of being a geek for almost 30 years, author Alex Langley provides essential advice for growth and survival for the
Published October 24th 2012 by Krause Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Geek Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Geek Handbook

R2geek2
Jul 20, 2013 R2geek2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is cute and great for the beginner geek. I like the categories, although I'm not sure what I think about the foodies and the sports geeks, sports especially because they often cannot be kind to my people. The section where Langely says that Sci-Fi geeks watch anything with Nathan Fillion in it is especially true; I mean who doesn't LOVE Nathan Fillion? Good humor and helpful tips to boot.
Cristóbal Barrera
I can't believe I already finished. What I thought would have been nothing but the typical guide to something, this book proved to be hilariously written from the perspective of not only a very spontaneous and versed writer , but also from the insider and experienced voice on the matter. A book that I truly recommend to have fun and enjoy.
Sam
Feb 17, 2013 Sam rated it it was amazing
Hilarious. However, Roswell, NM is NOT a good geek vacation spot (or a good vacation spot in general). I'm here for the New Mexico Military Institute and I can assure you that there is nothing geeky in this city. There are a few extremely stupid touristy gift shops, but that's about it.
Judchen
"The Geek Handbook" is exactly what the name says it is: A handbook to help "the modern geek" adapt and survive in this world. It has advice on finding friends (and partners), finding a place to live, cooking (the geek way) and much more.
This was overall a really good and funny book and I liked it more than I expected. I thought it would be full of stereotypes and cliches (and sometimes it was but without taking itself seriously) and was surprised. It made me laugh a lot, mainly because it make
Alexandra
Jan 16, 2013 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Geek Handbook is a wonderful book packed with awesome information. I remember getting it for a friend for her birthday, but after reading a few pages myself, I decided to buy my own copy.
It was worth it. Seriously.
The book starts out explaining what a geek is, and then goes into detail about the different types of geeks. They range from comic geeks, to science-fiction geeks, to food geeks, sports geeks, and pretty much any other geek in the galaxy. The Geek Handbook addresses several things,
Voss Foster
At least for my experience, the back matter made promises the book couldn't keep. An entertaining book, very humorous (particularly the footnotes), and with some exceedingly cute illustrations that beg to be filled in with crayons in spat of child-like glee.

However, the writing sometimes dragged and made certain sections less of an enjoyment and more of a chore along the way to the next fun bit. On top of that, while it claimed to have advice for social interaction and passages that would inspir
B
Apr 08, 2014 B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is full of many good practical plans/ideas for living life as anyone who has even slight leanings toward nerd life/culture. Everything is said in a humorous way that makes it a fun, easy read, as well. I just wish I could've gotten it *before* going to Comic-Con, instead of during, as he had some brilliant tips for conventions of those sort which I wish I knew beforehand. I'd recommend it, but with the caution that it does have a few inappropriate references.
gabrielle
Jun 10, 2013 gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For any geeks, ANY GEEKS, this is a must read. Social gatherings? How to build a nerdy family? How to decorate your home? How to survive the zombie apocalypse? Everything, anything you need to know about geekry is in this book. I enjoyed laughing and having a good time reading this book, while also sharing some details to my equally geeky (although he doesn't admit it) father.
Melissa Frye
Jan 09, 2013 Melissa Frye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Highly entertaining and enlightening. Hardcore nerds may find it boring (unless they want to argue the points Langley makes), but intermediate and beginning nerds will be fascinated by the information this book contains.
Jill
Jun 16, 2013 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This has some funny ideas that really do apply to many everyday situations for geeky people and non-geeky people who want to understand us better.
Kyle
Dec 28, 2012 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious and informative! One of the best handbooks on the subject of geekery I've ever read! Great illustrations as well!
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Plsno
Mar 02, 2013 Plsno rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nerd blackface at its worst.
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2013
Ninon
Ninon rated it it was ok
Jul 06, 2014
Amelia
Amelia rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Iris
Iris rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Brad
Brad rated it it was ok
May 13, 2016
Julie Germak
Julie Germak rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Ladymidnight
Ladymidnight rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Alexa
Alexa rated it really liked it
Mar 07, 2013
Emmanuel Nevers
Funny, I thought this book was okay but at times dragged.
Sarah El
Sarah El rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2013
Derrick Lim
Derrick Lim rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2014
Christina
Christina rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2013
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Derek
Derek rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Morgan Cahill
Morgan Cahill rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2012
Jenn Swanson
Feb 06, 2015 Jenn Swanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had some good info and quite a bit of humor too. Worth reading.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Ultimate Book of Top Ten Lists: A Mind-Boggling Collection of Fun, Fascinating and Bizarre Facts on Movies, Music, Sports, Crime, Celebrities, History, Trivia and More
  • Listverse.com's Ultimate Book of Bizarre Lists: Fascinating Facts and Shocking Trivia on Movies, Music, Crime, Celebrities, History, and More
  • Exactly Where They'd Fall
  • Tudor Roses
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Psychology: CIG to Psychology
  • The Quakers: A Very Short Introduction
  • Modern Pioneering: More Than 150 Recipes, Projects, and Skills for a Self-Sufficient Life
  • Adult Children: The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families
  • Why You Shouldn't Eat Your Boogers and Other Useless or Gross Information About Your Body
  • Blood Marriage
  • An Introduction to Buddhism: Teachings, History and Practices
  • The Art of The Avengers
  • Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks
  • What the Hell: How Did We Get It So Wrong? Eternity, Grace, and the Message of Love
  • Whatever Happened to Pudding Pops?: The Lost Toys, Tastes, and Trends of the 70s and 80s
  • Knits for Nerds: 30 Projects: Science Fiction, Comic Books, Fantasy
  • Chakras for Beginners: A Guide to Balancing Your Chakra Energies a Guide to Balancing Your Chakra Energies
  • Spiritwalker: Messages from the Future
Alex Langley can control gravity, swim at over eight-hundred miles per second, and has a dangerous, borderline nuclear passion for writing. He also writes news, interviews, and comics for the website rocketllama.com, has over 20,000 followers on twitter, and edits content for geek girl/web celebrity @actionchick Katrina Hill at actionflickchick.com. Thousands follow his work online, and he has bee ...more
More about Alex Langley...

“we have the granddaddy of all multiplayer shooters … GOLDENEYE.” 0 likes
“Comic Book Geek Before Hugh Jackman was filling movie screens with his handsome mug, the character Wolverine was first introduced in The Incredible Hulk #181, not in any X-Men comic. Many people will read that sentence and think, “Huh. That’s interesting.” A comic book geek, however, will read that and not only already know that, but they will have corrected the sentence by adding, “...and while that issue is credited as his first appearance, technically he was first introduced on the last page of The Incredible Hulk #180.” 0 likes