The Geek Handbook: Practical Skills and Advice for the Likeable Modern Geek

The Geek Handbook: Practical Skills and Advice for the Likeable Modern Geek

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  14 reviews
And the GEEKS shall inherit the earth! Although it may not be good for their pasty white skin, Geeks these days are enjoying a moment in the sun. From Pop Culture to High-Tech Everything, Geeks rule and everybody else, well, drools.

Drawing on his own knowledge of being a geek for almost 30 years, author Alex Langley provides essential advice for growth and survival for the...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Krause Publications

Judchen
"The Geek Handbook" is exactly what the name says it is: A handbook to help "the modern geek" adapt and survive in this world. It has advice on finding friends (and partners), finding a place to live, cooking (the geek way) and much more.
This was overall a really good and funny book and I liked it more than I expected. I thought it would be full of stereotypes and cliches (and sometimes it was but without taking itself seriously) and was surprised. It made me laugh a lot, mainly because it make...more
R2geek2
This book is cute and great for the beginner geek. I like the categories, although I'm not sure what I think about the foodies and the sports geeks, sports especially because they often cannot be kind to my people. The section where Langely says that Sci-Fi geeks watch anything with Nathan Fillion in it is especially true; I mean who doesn't LOVE Nathan Fillion? Good humor and helpful tips to boot.
Sam
Hilarious. However, Roswell, NM is NOT a good geek vacation spot (or a good vacation spot in general). I'm here for the New Mexico Military Institute and I can assure you that there is nothing geeky in this city. There are a few extremely stupid touristy gift shops, but that's about it.
Alexandra
The Geek Handbook is a wonderful book packed with awesome information. I remember getting it for a friend for her birthday, but after reading a few pages myself, I decided to buy my own copy.
It was worth it. Seriously.
The book starts out explaining what a geek is, and then goes into detail about the different types of geeks. They range from comic geeks, to science-fiction geeks, to food geeks, sports geeks, and pretty much any other geek in the galaxy. The Geek Handbook addresses several things,...more
B
This book is full of many good practical plans/ideas for living life as anyone who has even slight leanings toward nerd life/culture. Everything is said in a humorous way that makes it a fun, easy read, as well. I just wish I could've gotten it *before* going to Comic-Con, instead of during, as he had some brilliant tips for conventions of those sort which I wish I knew beforehand. I'd recommend it, but with the caution that it does have a few inappropriate references.
Gabrielle Montellé
For any geeks, ANY GEEKS, this is a must read. Social gatherings? How to build a nerdy family? How to decorate your home? How to survive the zombie apocalypse? Everything, anything you need to know about geekry is in this book. I enjoyed laughing and having a good time reading this book, while also sharing some details to my equally geeky (although he doesn't admit it) father.
Junebuggin
This book was laugh out loud funny and I could relate so much.
Cristóbal Barrera
I can't believe I already finished. What I thought would have been nothing but the typical guide to something, this book proved to be hilariously written from the perspective of not only a very spontaneous and versed writer , but also from the insider and experienced voice on the matter. A book that I truly recommend to have fun and enjoy.
Melissa Frye
Highly entertaining and enlightening. Hardcore nerds may find it boring (unless they want to argue the points Langley makes), but intermediate and beginning nerds will be fascinated by the information this book contains.
Jill
This has some funny ideas that really do apply to many everyday situations for geeky people and non-geeky people who want to understand us better.
Kyle
Hilarious and informative! One of the best handbooks on the subject of geekery I've ever read! Great illustrations as well!
Deyara
Funny and quite well put together. Timelines were a bit boring but enjoyed the rest.
Chateebox
Entertaining, but that's about it. :D
Plsno
Nerd blackface at its worst.
Ninon
Ninon is currently reading it
Jul 06, 2014
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Madison
Madison marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Al Rayray
Al Rayray marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
nairboon
nairboon marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Aaron Golding
Aaron Golding marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Carl Robson
Carl Robson marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Amber
Amber added it
May 01, 2014
Mitchell Fobbester
Mitchell Fobbester marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Alex Langley can control gravity, swim at over eight-hundred miles per second, and has a dangerous, borderline nuclear passion for writing. He also writes news, interviews, and comics for the website rocketllama.com, has over 20,000 followers on twitter, and edits content for geek girl/web celebrity @actionchick Katrina Hill at actionflickchick.com. Thousands follow his work online, and he has bee...more
More about Alex Langley...
Geek Lust: Pop Culture, Gadgets, and Other Desires of the Likeable Modern Geek