Start by marking “The Spirit of the Place” as Want to Read:

3.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  111 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Notorious for its Rabelaisian comedy, and celebrated for its humanism, Samuel Shem's "The House of God "was hailed as "troubling and hilarious...brutally honest" ("The New York Times"), a ""Catch-22 "with stethoscopes" ("Cosmopolitan"). Now in his most ambitious novel yet, Shem returns to dissect the complicated relationships between mothers and sons, ghosts and bullies, d ...more
Published December 1st 2012 by Berkley Books (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit of the Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit of the Place

Viviane Crystal
Dec 29, 2012 Viviane Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a very young boy, Orville Rose senses that he is "a part of something else," a joyous cry that his mother quickly quashes with the stern response, "This is all there is." Orville runs to his room in tears and basically spends the rest of his life running away.

Now after he has served overseas as a Doctor Without Borders and seen all there is to see of suffering, disease, murder and more, he has fallen in love with an Italian woman, Celestina. His tranquility is shattered upon receiving a teleg
David Edmonds
May 11, 2016 David Edmonds marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Samuel Shem's The Spirit of the Place is the story of Orville Rose, who is forced to leave Europe and live in his mother's home after her death by the bequest of her will; he is to live in the house for 1 year and 13 days in order to receive his inheritance. I am assuming that it is his mother's idea that after that much time, he will settle down and stop running from the things in his life that make him unhappy.

I tried to finish this book. I even went beyond my 100 page mark, even though the I
Literary Ventures Fund
Apr 17, 2008 Literary Ventures Fund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Samuel Shem's HOUSE OF GOD, fans of great fiction, anyone who is or knows doctors
Samuel Shem

'The Spirit of the Place is written with a large heart, a healing touch, wry and wise insight into the human condition. Worthy of the Best of Samuel Shem, which is worthy indeed.'
James Carroll, National Book Award Winner and author of House of War

Book Description

Samuel Shem's first novel, The House of God, the classic novel of life and death in an American hospital, has sold more then two million copies and is required reading in medical schools throughout the w
Dan Burke
Aug 05, 2015 Dan Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A deeply moving examination of life and how we view it.The story explores how we approach our lives, measure our successes, and examine the constant trade offs we continually negotiate as we search and stuggle to make sense of our lives. Samuel Shem takes us on a search, entertaining, but so much deeper, leading to self examination of what we each find truly important in life. Intelligently written and masterfully done!!!
David S. Grauman
Solid fair

The author's first book was a masterpiece. The second, interesting. This was just a novel. Time spent reading it was not wasted, but could have been spent better elsewhere.
Marvin
Nov 03, 2010 Marvin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extraordinarily well-written novel about a 39-year-old doctor who, upon his mother's death, returns to his home town, a decaying Hudson River community in upstate New York, and is compelled by the terms of his mother's will to stay for a year. This is no nostalgic homecoming; the town's many shortcomings, failures, & "breakages" are elaborated--and exaggerated--in detail, and they are what represent "the spirit of the place." Despite the extraordinary writing and the interesting character ...more
Bruce
May 03, 2009 Bruce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because James Fallows recommended it on his blog. I read to the end because of the characters. I didn't mind that not every mystery was solved, not every misunderstanding was set right. That's how it is in real life. The sense of breakage in place, people, and relationships was delicately interweaved. All the famous people connected to the city of Columbia, New York -- especially the contemporary ones like Ollie North -- gave me a fact checking itch, but not enough to scrat ...more
Sarka Kysilkova
Apr 14, 2015 Sarka Kysilkova rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bohužel nejslabší kniha od S. Shema.
Kristy
Jul 14, 2008 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid novel about a wandering expatriate doctor who is forced to live in his childhood home in his small New England home for one year and 13 days by the terms of his mother's will. As you might expect, he has to face some truths about his family and himself while he is waiting for his inheritance. The best parts are the doctoring bits, which I assume are relatively truthful since Shem (the pen name of Stephen Bergman) is actually a member of the Harvard Medical School faculty.
Elaine
Jun 20, 2008 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, june
Orville Rose has spent his whole life running away from the people and places that make him feel uncomfortable. Now his mother is dead and as a condition of her will she wants him to stay - for a year and 13 days in his childhood home. The Spirit of the Place follows Orville through the ups and downs of those 378 days as he tries to find a place for himself in the town where he grew up.
Jess
Jan 31, 2009 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
REALLY predictable - no surprises in this book. Still, I finished it, which says something. It was like watching a movie when you've already read the book first. You know the ending already, but you want to enjoy seeing the plot get there. Pretty good overall.
Jude
Dec 03, 2013 Jude rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the house of God when I read it as a student. I was hoping this book would be similar in content. However I found it to be a completely different flavor And it took a while to get over my disappointment. Eventually I did enjoy the book.
Melissa
Apr 07, 2010 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't get past chapter 1 - it really does not catch my interest (plus I have advance copy).
Liz
Sep 07, 2009 Liz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not anything like his classic, House of God, but a good read. Quirky characters.
Susan
Nov 28, 2009 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not shaping up too great.
Jim Woodward
Jim Woodward marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Megan List
Megan List rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2016
June D
June D marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Christy
Christy marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Morgan Decker
Morgan Decker marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Stephanie Dooley
Stephanie Dooley is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Hisham
Hisham marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Szg
Szg marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
David Marshall
David Marshall is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2016
Craig Kannel
Craig Kannel rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Jeffry
Jeffry marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Mitch
Mitch marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
  • Let the Shadows Fall Behind You
  • Rose House (La Rosaleda #2)
  • A Curable Romantic
  • The Cougar Club
  • So Long at the Fair
  • The Triumph of Deborah
  • Immortal
  • Sword
  • Soldier, Nurse and Spy in the Union Army
  • A Man Worth Fighting For (Wiccan Haus, #2)
  • Seasons of the Heart
  • The Rebel
  • Practice Makes Perfect: How One Doctor Found the Meaning of Lives
  • Sacrifice
  • RuneWarriors (RuneWarriors, #1)
  • Shady Lady (Men from Special Branch, #5)
  • The Petrelli Heir
  • Counterfeit Cowboy
Samuel Shem (aka Stephen Bergman) is the author of several books of fiction including the bestseller The House of God. He is a doctor, novelist, playwright, and activist. A Rhodes Scholar, he was on the faculty of Harvard Medical School for three decades and founded the Bill W. and Dr. Bob Project in the Division on Addictions at Harvard Medical School. He divides his time between Boston, MA and T ...more
More about Samuel Shem...