Start by marking “Bake Sale Murder” as Want to Read:
Bake Sale Murder

Bake Sale Murder (Lucy Stone #13)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,698 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
Ever since local developer Fred Stanton and his wife, Mimi, built five modular homes next door to Lucy Stone's farmhouse, life just hasn't been the same. With Mimi complaining about everything from the state of Lucy's lawn to another neighbor's lovable dog, quaint Tinker's Cove, Maine, is now entangled in cul-de-sac politics and backstabbing. And when Mimi doesn't show up ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by Kensington (first published December 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bake Sale Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bake Sale Murder

Jenn
Feb 22, 2012 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First, the positive: I got this one free from Amazon. Apparently it's the 13th in a series, but it doesn't feel like that. I loathe reading book out of order. And while this does feel like a series book, it doesn't, at all, feel like I've missed anything by just reading this book. I mean, Lucy's just meeting a lot of her neighbors! Anyway, this one was also very readable and kept me interested right until the end. I didn't see it coming as far as the culprit either.

Now, the negative: Lucy's kind
Andrea Guy
There's something special about Lucy Stone mysteries. This is the 13th in the series. This story mixes small town life with a cozy mystery. Unlike a lot of authors with long lived series, I find that Lucy Stone is still fresh, and her characters a progressing on with their lives. Things aren't at a stand still in these books. Lucy's son Toby is engaged, her daughter is away at college. The neighborhood is changing. That's what sets up the stage for the murder.

It takes awhile for the murder to ta
Tabby Kat
Lucy Stone isn't happy. Instead of living on a nice quiet road that she's used to, a little subdivision has sprung up next to her, including one obnoxious motorcyle riding teenager who spends as much time reving up his machine as he does riding it.

Lucy and her friends, Sue, Pam and Rachel start working on the Hat and Mitten fund. A bake sale seemed like a good idea to raise funds, until she starts calling her friends for baked donations and realizes she hasn't kept up with them for awhile as ev
Luffy
Jul 10, 2014 Luffy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm rating this book 2/5, I can't understand the low ratings, even if I'm contributing to its low average. I'm used to my harsh rating system, which is ironic, as I'm easily pleased during the actual act of reading a book. It's just that books need to achieve something to earn 4 or 5 stars. As for this book, the story was running along familiar lines, which is unavoidable in a series of 20 books.

The clearly wrong arrest of a murder suspect, the paucity of progress in Lucy Stone's inv
Amy "the book-bat"
This Lucy Stone mystery was pretty good. There were plenty of twists and turns that kept me guessing right along. I liked that I felt engaged in the story and didn't figure out "whodunit" until the end. There were quite a few new characters introduced, but it didn't seem like too much at once like in other series when a lot of new people are added. The additions made sense the way they were introduced and the way they interacted within the context of the story.
Zuleima
Ashley
Dec 20, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I have started well into the series, but I did get this book for free. Honestly, I doubt I would have spent money on it. Not because I think it's necessarily a bad book, but the cover and title leads a lot to be desired.

Although it is the 13th book, it's still easy for newcomers to jump in, which I really appreciated. Also, I didn't guess the murderer immediately, which is always a bonus. The book was also a real page-turner - I ended up reading it in one sitting, plus it did make me laugh a
Kim j
Dec 23, 2012 Kim j rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meier
I do not know why I keep reading these because they are so bad. I guess because they are so cheap???

Lucy seems to fall into solving the murders as she never really does any real investigating. She is out of touch with her kids and constantly complaining. Plus the writing is very amatuer and drawn out. If she can write a series so can I. Do not waste good money on this series...
Lindsay
Sep 02, 2014 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by Leslie Meier and I know it is not the 1st in the series. I enjoyed this mystery. I had figured it out long before Lucy had, so I was more then a little worried for her safety when she found herself face to face with the killer. I liked this cozy because it seemed so different then what I am used to (single recently jilted/divorced/cheated on ladies, who have no children and dont want them with generally failing/successful small business') I loved that Lucy h ...more
Bonnie
Jan 05, 2016 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know where this book came from, so I figured since I couldn't sleep, an easy read would be best. I actually read the whole thing. It was a quick read, the characters were interesting enough, and wasn't what I expected. I thought it would be like others I had read (and some gave up on), with silly recipes in the middle of the chapters, claiming that the characters are the most discriminating of chefs (when the foods described are nothing more than pedestrian), and the like...Luckily, to f ...more
Gary E
Jun 05, 2016 Gary E rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book

After 12 other books in this series it is hardly surprising that book 13 is enjoyable as well. If anything I would say tha is one of the better installments in the series. My only complaint about these books it that they are a little too short. I would love it if they were at least 10% (even better would be 25%) longer. But with today's shorter attention spans and more hectic schedules there is also something to be said for a good quick read.

These are just fun books with lots o
Karen
Apr 30, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-e-book
This mystery started out pretty well - a woman in a small community stabbed in the back while baking cookies! Lucy Stone is a reporter for the local paper and begins investigating this, as well as some allegations of hazing by the high school football players. Her nosiness is definitely noticed, leading to some problems closer to home! But the ending was less than satisfying, especially how the hazing issue was handled. It was a free Kindle book I downloaded. Not sure if I'd try another one by t ...more
CD
Mar 30, 2012 CD rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, mystery
What's better than sex? Brownies of course! Well, not really but "Better than Sex Brownies" are on the possible list for the Charity Fund Raiser Bake Sale. And they are voted down as being too expensive to make and not 'healthy' like carob bars. Could this be the reason that one of the bake sale participants winds up with a chefs knife plunged into her while baking?? Or is it something more devious like a personality conflict?

The dead women is not the most popular among her neighbors. They don't
Veronica Noechel
The first 25 pages made me go, "oh no. I'm not going to like this book. Now I'm going to have to decide whether I force myself to finish it (because I'm obsessive-compulsive) or live with the guilt of putting it down now and feeling I've been unfair to this innocent book who asked so little of me." and as I nearly always do, I proceeded to read this rest, rather than live with the guilt of feeling like I didn't give it a fair shake. I'm glad I did, because once I got past the character introduct ...more
Sandy Vaughan
Oct 13, 2010 Sandy Vaughan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucy is the mom of 5, works on the small town newspaper, and is highly involved the school activities. After one the regular meeting of the group of 4 (mom's who have been raising their kids and helping others for years) decide there is a need for a bake sale to help kids in need with school supplies, Lucy is sent off to round up the moms who used to bake. Problem: they are all into other things or have moved, are empty nesters, etc. Next meeting, it is decided it is time to involve the new moms ...more
Jodi
Oct 10, 2015 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, 2015-read
Although I only gave this book three stars, I also enjoyed it much more than I expected to. Lucy Stone is the unlikely intermediary between her old neighbors and her new neighbors in a bake sale to the death. When one of Lucy's least favorite new neighbors ends up dead Lucy has to figure out what is really happening in her neighborhood before dieting becomes the safe word of the day. The story was entertaining and Lucy and her family were much more likable than I remember from the last Lucy Ston ...more
Sandra
Apr 01, 2016 Sandra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery in this book wasn't bad but the book itself could have used some serious editing. In this day of ubiquitous cell phones, why would anyone drive around looking for someone who had not shown up for an event. Why not phone?

Also teenage boys (or girls, for that matter) do not magically change from sullen, surly adolescents to polite young people over night.

Also why would anonymous letters not be turned over to the police at the beginning of the warnings?
Susan
Dec 17, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
Bake Sale Murder was the first full length book that I have read by Meier having only read a novella before, and I found that I really enjoyed it. Despite being further along in the series, I found that I was able to pick up quickly the main characters and follow things pretty well. This book can be enjoyed as a standalone or as part of the series. I really enjoyed the world that Meier created with her small neighborhood and local group of ladies and neighbors that were center stage in the book. ...more
Jeannine Stewart
A cozy where the main character, Lucy Stone, is a parent and reporter on the local paper in a small Maine town. I've read others in this series and they were enjoyable but I felt this one missed the mark. The plot includes rumors of high school hazing and an incidence of sexual harassment of the football team cheerleaders, which includes Lucy Stone's daughter. I did not find either Lucy or her husband's reaction t0 this incident believable or realistic.
Andrea
Apr 06, 2014 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the Lucy Stone series with plenty of interesting twists and turns in the plot. With a new housing development in the Stone's neighborhood and plenty of changes happening around Tinker's Cove who would murder developer Fred Stanton's wife Mimi and why? Read Bake Sale Murder to find out if Lucy saves the day before it is too late for herself or someone else. Who knew that a bake sale could turn deadly!
Erin Alves
I enjoyed reading Leslie Meier's first mystery book for me. It had a good plot and I enjoyed the characters. I look forward to reading other titles of hers. I read this book after my uncle John passed away and I was really sad. This book helped bring me out of depression and take my mind away from the grief I was experiencing.
Stacy
Oct 27, 2010 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
A free book I downloaded for the Kindle... I normally like cozies but am having a hard time getting into this one...

OK, it was a quick and easy read, but it wasn't my favorite of any of the cozies I have read. To be fair, it was #13 in a series that I had not read any of the previous books, so the characters were not familiar to me at all. And it was a free on at Amazon, so maybe it wasn't one of her best in this series. Having said that, I did like it, it was cute and there were free recipes at
Believeit2seeit
Feb 24, 2015 Believeit2seeit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Reminded me of Jill Churchill's cozy mysteries. Suburban mom and amateur sleuth saves the day while juggling parenting and neighborhood duties. I was surprised by the gritty themes, while the victim was obnoxious and didn't seem like a much mourned person, the investigation brought out a lot of scary issues in the community.
Rachel
Jan 21, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, kindle
Bake Sale Murder is a cozy mystery that is the 13th book in the Lucy Stone Mystery series. I didn't have any trouble jumping right in without having read any of the previous books in the series.

Lucy Stone is a reporter for the Pennysaver in her small town, Tinker's Cove, Maine. One morning she discovers her neighbor Mimi stabbed to death in her kitchen. At the same time, Lucy is investigating allegations of hazing against the high school football coach that are being made in anonymous letters se
Mary Schildman
Feb 10, 2015 Mary Schildman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Number 14 is a go

Not reading these in order but close enough...not a boring moment in the book. Of course a great number of established characters and a few new ones. Number 11 made me cry (death of a dog) but this story kept me reading to the end. Looking forward to #12 or #13 or whatever.
Darlene House
Glad to discover delightful new mystery series. I enjoyed this book that followed small town journalist sleuth dealing with family and friends while solving a mystery. There were some plot twists so didn't guess the murderer. Looking forward to reading more Meier books.
Catherine
Jul 30, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Lucy Stone, a part-time reporter and full-time mom and wife, solves the murder of an irritating, busy-body in small-town Maine. Mimi Stanton seems to like complaining about her neighbors: one day she is found stabbed in her kitchen. It is Lucy who finds her and Lucy who ultimately solves the murder.

I found this to be a wonderful, cozy mystery. The characters are more fully developed, the feel of small-town Maine is portrayed in a believing manner, and the working-mother-sleuth actually works. Th
Sara Tuschen
The characters are okay. The storyline is a bit complex for a small town paperback mystery. The author could have gotten a lot darker, it might have made the story pop a little more. Bits and pieces of the story were interesting, but very little connected.
Janet Robel
Cute mystery! I was just a little surprised that the murder took place so far into the book because I kept wondering when it would happen. I do like how Lucy's life progresses through each of the books and a like the small town she lives in.
Patricia
Apr 12, 2015 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Must be hard being the one in a small town to always find the dead body, Lucy Stone once again is taken by surprise going about her errands and discovers another body. Life in Tinker's Cove has changed, read and see how.
  • Murder à la Mode (Savannah Reid, #10)
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • Death of a Trophy Wife (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #9)
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • The Witch of Agnesi (Bonnie Pinkwater Mystery, #1)
  • A Little Death in Dixie
  • Revenge of Innocents (Carolyn Sullivan, #4)
  • Lie Down in Green Pastures (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #3)
  • Triple Exposure
  • Dead Deceiver (A Loon Lake Mystery, #11)
  • Lye in Wait (Home Crafting Mystery, #1)
  • A Brisket, a Casket (A Deadly Deli Mystery, #1)
  • Antiques Roadkill (A Trash 'n' Treasures Mystery, #1)
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet (Biggie Weatherford, #6)
  • Getting Away is Deadly (A Mom Zone Mystery, #3)
  • June Bug (Murder-by-Month Mystery #2)
  • Chili Con Corpses (A Supper Club Mystery, #3)
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery, #2)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)

“Maybe he was just a crazy guy who liked funerals.” Phyllis was applying polish topcoat with all the care of Michelangelo painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. “Nobody goes to funerals for fun,” said Lucy,” 0 likes