Start by marking “Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories of Animals and Nature” as Want to Read:
Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories of Animals and Nature

Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories of Animals and Nature

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In sixteen wonderful stories, Pulitzer Prize–winning author James A. Michener burrows deep into the secret lives of animals and the hidden world of nature. Here he sheds light on nature’s most awesome and beguiling handiwork, from the sublime shaping and reshaping of earth’s lands and seas to a ridiculous armadillo’s assault on a bit of Texas real estate that paid off hand ...more
Published April 18th 1995 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Creatures of the Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creatures of the Kingdom

Arlene
I finished Creatures of the Kingdom. It was a collection of animal stories, mostly from his longer books. There were stories from Alaska, Centennial, Chesapeake, The Covenant, Hawaii and Texas. I recognized several of the stories. I think my favorite was the last story, "the Colonel and Genghis Khan" about a squirrel who keeps invading the bird feeder in the retired officer's back yard. I don't think that this one was in any of his other books.
Marygrace
Jan 08, 2013 Marygrace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like visiting an old friend. I read quite a few Michener book in the past. This book I got from the parents grab bag. The title caught my attention. It is a bunch of short stories that are taken from his other books. Some I had read and enjoyed revisiting. The beginning of his books he goes thru geological history of a region and talks about the evolution of different animals. If you enjoy Michener I think you would like this book. I am going to pass it on to Clay eventually. If anyone want to r ...more
Beakerkin
Oct 16, 2010 Beakerkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an excellent book for kids. I read all of the stories in their original. There is one classic bonus story that does not appear anywhere else. It is actually the most memorable in the set.
Robin
Mar 19, 2013 Robin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nature
First let me say that I’m a huge fan of James Michener’s writing. This book is a collection of chapters from other books that are only related in that their topic is nature. From geological processes to conjectures about prehistoric animals to modern animal tales from the wild and the backyard, the excerpts don’t really hang together as a cohesive unit. The pace is somewhat uneven, but since I’m a fan, reading excerpts helped me determine which novels to read (Chesapeake, The Covenant, and maybe ...more
Will
Dec 28, 2014 Will rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to think that this book is the result of some unscrupulous editor and that Michener had little to do with it. It is nothing but a money ploy, repackaging selections from Michener's other books. The one original story is poorly written and displays all of Michener's flaws without his redeeming features. The writing is stale and clichéd. There is no reason to buy this book unless you are trying to acquire all of Michener's works.
Julianna
Slow at times, still I am amazed at the breadth and depth Michener can bring to a short story of any setting. He allows us to access prehistorical times and places (without an archaeology degree) as though we are still deeply connected to the actions and habits of extinct creatures. I love to read the impact on ecosystems a single fictional animal had, and marvel at how our present-day lifestyle in the Western world is so realistically interpreted by him in this animal perspective style of writi ...more
SarahLeeNotCake
Jul 08, 2015 SarahLeeNotCake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
joyful animal tales, the squirrel one and the duck hunting one in particular are a delight
Veronica Harris
Jan 23, 2016 Veronica Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such love in the telling (9.0)
Mona Randall
Michener is the best!
Pa
Mar 31, 2011 Pa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in easy to read nature tales
Selections about animals and nature from various of Michener's novels. Some are fairly good. Others are rather dated. The dinosaur story (though presumably OK at the time it was written) is now seriously outdated and inaccurate (in light of our current knowledge).
Stacey
Feb 05, 2008 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. It takes all of the animal stories from many of Michener's books and puts them together to form this book. Even if you have read his others books, still neat to just read the animal stories.
Jenny
Mar 21, 2009 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love his books. The only thing wrong with this one is it is short stories which I'm not into much. I will have to get the books these excerpts are taken from and read them I haven't gotten to all of them yet.
Brent
Sep 27, 2013 Brent marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Had to return book to library. .75% finished but the clock ran out.
Remark on how Mitchner bring to life the average animals living as the do. And through sympathy you take them on and cheer them.
Deborah J.
May 08, 2012 Deborah J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now and then I like to read a good collection of animal essays. There are some wonderful ones out there and James Michener's is one of them. I devoured it!
Teoh
Sep 29, 2014 Teoh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is always that one book we regret chucking into the recycling bin in the heat of the moment. This is mine.
Tara
Mar 31, 2012 Tara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got this at Greenburgh Library today for $1. A good deal, I think. It's Hardcover, in good condition.
Kattieone
Sep 10, 2013 Kattieone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the most amazing books about nature. Vividly written, pure pleasure to read, and read again.
Beth
Apr 12, 2013 Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quitters
Couldn't get into right now. I like Michener, but need to be in the right frame of mind to read his style.
Laura Mae
Laura Mae marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Herman
Herman marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Elaine Mulligan
Elaine Mulligan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Phaedra
Phaedra marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Kat
Kat added it
May 07, 2016
Bookaholic
Bookaholic marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea
Silvia-otilia Mihalcea marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales
  • The Exquisite Corpse Adventure
  • Hemingway: A Biography
  • The Tower
  • Contemplation
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for t
More about James A. Michener...