Start by marking “Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories About Animals and Nature” as Want to Read:
Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories About Animals and Nature

Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories About Animals and Nature

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  15 reviews
"DRAMATIC...ENTHRALLING...EXPERTLY CRAFTED...Michener treats each of these creatures with fundamental respect, and in many cases, admiration and awe, if not outright love."
—The Virginian-Pilot & The Ledger-Star
In these sixteen wonderful stories, bestselling author James A. Michener lights up nature's most awesome and beguiling handiwork—from the sublime shaping and re
Published October 12th 1993 by Random House (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Creatures of the Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creatures of the Kingdom

Arlene
I finished Creatures of the Kingdom. It was a collection of animal stories, mostly from his longer books. There were stories from Alaska, Centennial, Chesapeake, The Covenant, Hawaii and Texas. I recognized several of the stories. I think my favorite was the last story, "the Colonel and Genghis Khan" about a squirrel who keeps invading the bird feeder in the retired officer's back yard. I don't think that this one was in any of his other books.
Marygrace
Like visiting an old friend. I read quite a few Michener book in the past. This book I got from the parents grab bag. The title caught my attention. It is a bunch of short stories that are taken from his other books. Some I had read and enjoyed revisiting. The beginning of his books he goes thru geological history of a region and talks about the evolution of different animals. If you enjoy Michener I think you would like this book. I am going to pass it on to Clay eventually. If anyone want to r ...more
Beakerkin
It is an excellent book for kids. I read all of the stories in their original. There is one classic bonus story that does not appear anywhere else. It is actually the most memorable in the set.
Robin
First let me say that I’m a huge fan of James Michener’s writing. This book is a collection of chapters from other books that are only related in that their topic is nature. From geological processes to conjectures about prehistoric animals to modern animal tales from the wild and the backyard, the excerpts don’t really hang together as a cohesive unit. The pace is somewhat uneven, but since I’m a fan, reading excerpts helped me determine which novels to read (Chesapeake, The Covenant, and maybe ...more
Julianna
Slow at times, still I am amazed at the breadth and depth Michener can bring to a short story of any setting. He allows us to access prehistorical times and places (without an archaeology degree) as though we are still deeply connected to the actions and habits of extinct creatures. I love to read the impact on ecosystems a single fictional animal had, and marvel at how our present-day lifestyle in the Western world is so realistically interpreted by him in this animal perspective style of writi ...more
Pa
Mar 31, 2011 Pa rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in easy to read nature tales
Selections about animals and nature from various of Michener's novels. Some are fairly good. Others are rather dated. The dinosaur story (though presumably OK at the time it was written) is now seriously outdated and inaccurate (in light of our current knowledge).
Stacey
This book is great. It takes all of the animal stories from many of Michener's books and puts them together to form this book. Even if you have read his others books, still neat to just read the animal stories.
Jenny
I love his books. The only thing wrong with this one is it is short stories which I'm not into much. I will have to get the books these excerpts are taken from and read them I haven't gotten to all of them yet.
Brent
Sep 27, 2013 Brent marked it as to-read
Had to return book to library. .75% finished but the clock ran out.
Remark on how Mitchner bring to life the average animals living as the do. And through sympathy you take them on and cheer them.
Deborah J.
Now and then I like to read a good collection of animal essays. There are some wonderful ones out there and James Michener's is one of them. I devoured it!
Teoh
There is always that one book we regret chucking into the recycling bin in the heat of the moment. This is mine.
Tara
Mar 31, 2012 Tara marked it as to-read
I got this at Greenburgh Library today for $1. A good deal, I think. It's Hardcover, in good condition.
Kattieone
Some of the most amazing books about nature. Vividly written, pure pleasure to read, and read again.
Beth
Apr 12, 2013 Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quitters
Couldn't get into right now. I like Michener, but need to be in the right frame of mind to read his style.
Cws
Sep 15, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Mic
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Kelle
Kelle marked it as to-read
Carmen
Carmen marked it as to-read
Mjs1981
Mjs1981 marked it as to-read
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Dale King
Dale King marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Claire Rademacher
Claire Rademacher marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Maryann Wright
Maryann Wright marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Linda A.
Linda A. marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Mary
Mary added it
Oct 30, 2014
Kh
Kh marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Bob Way
Bob Way marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales
  • Tales of O. Henry
  • The Woman Who Thought She Was a Planet and Other Stories
  • Uncommon Wisdom: Conversations With Remarkable People
  • Rama: The Omnibus
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
  • Collected Stories
  • Great Irish Tales of Horror: A Treasury of Fear
  • Anthony Adverse
  • Where the Rivers Flow North
  • Wages of Sin
  • Hemingway: A Biography
  • The Irish R. M
  • Works of Edith Wharton
  • Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up?
  • Field Notes: The Grace Note of the Canyon Wren
  • A Walk in Wolf Wood (Modern Classic)
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for th
More about James A. Michener...
Hawaii The Source Centennial The Covenant Chesapeake