Start by marking “Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories About Animals and Nature” as Want to Read:
Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories About Animals and Nature

Creatures of the Kingdom: Stories About Animals and Nature

"DRAMATIC...ENTHRALLING...EXPERTLY CRAFTED...Michener treats each of these creatures with fundamental respect, and in many cases, admiration and awe, if not outright love."
—The Virginian-Pilot & The Ledger-Star
In these sixteen wonderful stories, bestselling author James A. Michener lights up nature's most awesome and beguiling handiwork—from the sublime shaping and re
Published October 12th 1993 by Random House (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Creatures of the Kingdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creatures of the Kingdom

Arlene
I finished Creatures of the Kingdom. It was a collection of animal stories, mostly from his longer books. There were stories from Alaska, Centennial, Chesapeake, The Covenant, Hawaii and Texas. I recognized several of the stories. I think my favorite was the last story, "the Colonel and Genghis Khan" about a squirrel who keeps invading the bird feeder in the retired officer's back yard. I don't think that this one was in any of his other books.
Marygrace
Dec 04, 2012 Marygrace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like visiting an old friend. I read quite a few Michener book in the past. This book I got from the parents grab bag. The title caught my attention. It is a bunch of short stories that are taken from his other books. Some I had read and enjoyed revisiting. The beginning of his books he goes thru geological history of a region and talks about the evolution of different animals. If you enjoy Michener I think you would like this book. I am going to pass it on to Clay eventually. If anyone want to r ...more
Beakerkin
Oct 16, 2010 Beakerkin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is an excellent book for kids. I read all of the stories in their original. There is one classic bonus story that does not appear anywhere else. It is actually the most memorable in the set.
Tina
Dec 16, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprised to hear of a "new" Michener novel and couldn't wait to read it. I was equally surprised to hear familiar stories, took me halfway through to realize this novel is a recycling of previous Michener novels. I felt kind of bilked but realized I was actually getting a mini preview of Michener novels I have yet to read.

I loved it but reduced a point for the recycle.
Robin
Jan 02, 2011 Robin rated it it was ok
Shelves: nature
First let me say that I’m a huge fan of James Michener’s writing. This book is a collection of chapters from other books that are only related in that their topic is nature. From geological processes to conjectures about prehistoric animals to modern animal tales from the wild and the backyard, the excerpts don’t really hang together as a cohesive unit. The pace is somewhat uneven, but since I’m a fan, reading excerpts helped me determine which novels to read (Chesapeake, The Covenant, and maybe ...more
Julianna
Slow at times, still I am amazed at the breadth and depth Michener can bring to a short story of any setting. He allows us to access prehistorical times and places (without an archaeology degree) as though we are still deeply connected to the actions and habits of extinct creatures. I love to read the impact on ecosystems a single fictional animal had, and marvel at how our present-day lifestyle in the Western world is so realistically interpreted by him in this animal perspective style of writi ...more
Lynn Alan Heath
I thought this was a new book, but it turns out it is a collection of short stories from James Michener's other books (i.e., Hawaii, Chesapeake, Alaska, etc.) with the exception of the last story about a Texas gray squirrel named Ghengis Kahn.
I thought the story was pretty good, but the book was a let down. I was expecting a new production based on the title I knew I had not read this Michener book before so I was deceived.
Will
Dec 27, 2014 Will rated it did not like it
I'd like to think that this book is the result of some unscrupulous editor and that Michener had little to do with it. It is nothing but a money ploy, repackaging selections from Michener's other books. The one original story is poorly written and displays all of Michener's flaws without his redeeming features. The writing is stale and clichéd. There is no reason to buy this book unless you are trying to acquire all of Michener's works.
Stacey
Feb 03, 2008 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is great. It takes all of the animal stories from many of Michener's books and puts them together to form this book. Even if you have read his others books, still neat to just read the animal stories.
Pa
Mar 31, 2011 Pa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in easy to read nature tales
Selections about animals and nature from various of Michener's novels. Some are fairly good. Others are rather dated. The dinosaur story (though presumably OK at the time it was written) is now seriously outdated and inaccurate (in light of our current knowledge).
Jenny
Mar 21, 2009 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love his books. The only thing wrong with this one is it is short stories which I'm not into much. I will have to get the books these excerpts are taken from and read them I haven't gotten to all of them yet.
Teoh
Sep 24, 2012 Teoh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is always that one book we regret chucking into the recycling bin in the heat of the moment. This is mine.
Kattieone
Sep 10, 2013 Kattieone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some of the most amazing books about nature. Vividly written, pure pleasure to read, and read again.
Veronica Harris
Jan 23, 2016 Veronica Harris rated it it was amazing
Such love in the telling (9.0)
Brent
Sep 27, 2013 Brent marked it as to-read
Had to return book to library. .75% finished but the clock ran out.
Remark on how Mitchner bring to life the average animals living as the do. And through sympathy you take them on and cheer them.
Beth
Apr 01, 2013 Beth marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quitters
Couldn't get into right now. I like Michener, but need to be in the right frame of mind to read his style.
Cws
Sep 15, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
F Mic
SarahLeeNotCake
Jul 08, 2015 SarahLeeNotCake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
joyful animal tales, the squirrel one and the duck hunting one in particular are a delight
Tara
Mar 31, 2012 Tara marked it as to-read
I got this at Greenburgh Library today for $1. A good deal, I think. It's Hardcover, in good condition.
Deborah J.
May 08, 2012 Deborah J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now and then I like to read a good collection of animal essays. There are some wonderful ones out there and James Michener's is one of them. I devoured it!
Mona Randall
Michener is the best!
Aaron Williams
Aaron Williams rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2012
Milt Jacobs
Milt Jacobs rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Shani Lustgarten
Shani Lustgarten rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2013
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2013
Gayle
Gayle rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2017
Judi
Judi rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2011
Dp4nrw
Dp4nrw rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2009
Anita Carty
Anita Carty rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Woman Who Thought She Was a Planet and Other Stories
  • Return to Wild America: A Yearlong Search for the Continent's Natural Soul
  • The Tower
  • Lovely Green Eyes
  • Where the Rivers Flow North
  • The Tenants of Time  (The Thomas Flanagan Trilogy #2)
James Albert Michener is best known for his sweeping multi-generation historical fiction sagas, usually focusing on and titled after a particular geographical region. His first novel, Tales of the South Pacific , which inspired the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific, won the 1948 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.

Toward the end of his life, he created the Journey Prize, awarded annually for t
More about James A. Michener...