Start by marking “Che: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
Che: A Memoir

Che: A Memoir

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In a new, expanded edition of a best-selling Ocean classic, Castro describes a historic political partnership that changed the face of Cuba and Latin America. He vividly portrays Che--the man, the revolutionary, and the thinker--recounting in detail his last days with Che in Cuba, giving a remarkably frank assessment of the Bolivian mission.

Fidel Castro, in an unusually ge
Published December 18th 2012 by Ocean Press (AU) (first published 1381)

To ask other readers questions about Che, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Che

Pollopicu
It's a shame there aren't any reviews written on this book on Goodreads yet. It would certainly make for a very interesting discussion. The preface by Jesus Montane wasn't impressive, however, the intro written by David Deutschmann helped give the reader a quick chronological biography on the political history and contribution that Che Guevara offered the Cuban Revolution. The analysis that Castro offers on the death of Che is thoroughly fascinating. Castro defends the truth behind the murder of ...more
Mohammed
I have been looking for such a book for a long time. I wanted to read Castro's story on Che's death, how he received the news, how he made sure that news was correct, and how he addressed the world on that.

This book is exactly about that, in addition to other related things.

I found this book very interesting because of the things I mentioned. There are many stories on Che's death since it was unclear and a lot of people tried to change the true story. I'm not saying that Castro's story is the tr
Austin James
I recently finished Fidel Castro's memoir of Che Guevara.

Because Cold War era history is an interest of mine, and I enjoyed Che's "The Motorcycle Diaries", I decided to give this book a shot. I was pretty disappointed. I've never read a history book that has so much repetition. I feel like one could read the first chapter, or even the introduction and have read every notable thing in the book.

The book is actually a collection of speeches and interviews Fidel gave on Che Guevara, mostly covering
Susan
I read much and skimmed some. You can really tell the regard Castro had for Che.
Patti Williams
This was a great read, reveals as much about Che as it does about Castro. I was especially surprised at the amount of information Castro seems to provide in his speeches (when everyone was trying to learn whether Che had been killed). And tho I know Che was probably not the romantic icon rebel that many view him as today, I love the fantasy of a handsome, dark, intelligent, man fighting the powerful imperialists to free latin america!
Louise KM
I'm addicted to books about Che Guevara - and to be honest, I thought that this would be a lot more detailed than it actually was, it's a gathering of letters, speeches, rather than an actual biography. Still very interesting to have insight from Castro on his right-hand-man!
Julie
Interesting read. For those who complain about this being a poorly written history book, it is written as a memoir by Fidel Castro. You must go in knowing he is not a historian and will obviously have a bais in his view of the events mentioned. I enjoyed the book immensly.
Vera Lynn Brathen-Gylstrom
Som nevnt av en annen leser, så sier denne boken like mye om Castro som Che. Talene som er gjengitt i boken er interesant lesning. En bok som er verdt å lese. Inspirerer til videre lesning om Che.
Nemo Velazquez
Una forma muy interesante de ver al Che desde la perspectiva Cubana, además se tiene la oportunidad de conocer a Fidel como un gran orador, que a fin de cuentas mueve masas.
Mardell
A rather subjective point of view from Castro. It would be better to read a well written biography of Che or his diaries.
Aden Dohn
a nice collection of fidel's speeches, writings, and interviews about che. Not amazing but not bad either.
Rebecca
Too repetitive for me
Frendrik Camerun
Frendrik Camerun marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Nicolai Petersen
Nicolai Petersen marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Fady
Fady marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Taufique Abir
Taufique Abir marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Alig
Alig added it
Mar 14, 2015
Sharon L. Sherman
Sharon L. Sherman marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Victoria Saenz
Victoria Saenz marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Mehdi Dridi
Mehdi Dridi marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Lance Kwin
Lance Kwin marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Траяна
Траяна marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Aquilino Lopez
Aquilino Lopez is currently reading it
Feb 01, 2015
  • The Oak And The Calf: Sketches Of Literary Life In The Soviet Union
  • Separation of Church & State: What the Founders Meant
  • Vaclav Havel: Or Living in Truth
  • Benjamin Franklin
  • Rommel: The Trail of the Fox (Wordsworth Military Library)
  • The End of Racism: Finding Values in an Age of Technoaffluence
  • All for the Union: The Civil War Diary & Letters of Elisha Hunt Rhodes
  • Chesty: The Story of Lieutenant General Lewis B. Puller, USMC
  • Henry Adams and the Making of America
  • Radical Son: A Generational Oddysey
  • History of Women in the West, Vol 1: From Ancient Goddesses to Christian Saints
  • The Soong Dynasty
  • Anzio: Italy and the Battle for Rome � 1944
  • Writings
Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz (b. 8/13/1926) is a revolutionary & politician who was Prime Minister of Cuba (1959-76) & President (1976-2008). He also served as the Commander in Chief of the Cuban Revolutionary Armed Forces (1959-2008) & as the First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba (1961-2011). Politically a Marxist-Leninist, under his administration the Republic of Cuba became a ...more
More about Fidel Castro...
My Life: A Spoken Autobiography History Will Absolve Me Fidel & Religion: Conversations with Frei Betto on Marxism & Liberation Theology War, Racism and Economic Injustice: The Global Ravages of Capitalism Fidel Castro Reader