Start by marking “Matilda” as Want to Read:

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  374,583 ratings  ·  8,034 reviews
Matilda es una lectora empedernida con solo cinco años. Sensible e inteligente, todos la admiran menos sus mediocres padres, que la consideran una inútil. Además tiene poderes extraños y maravillosos... Un día, Matilda decide desquitarse y empieza a emplearlos contra la abominable y cruel señorita Trunchbull.
Published 1997 by Alfaguara (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Matilda, please sign up.

Laura Pamplona They stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact…moreThey stated in the book that she is a gifted child... I wonder why are you surprised at the fact that she can read at 2 years old but not at the fact that she can move stuff without touching them...(less)
The Average BookWorm I know this is two months old but I'll answer it anyway.
Movie adaptations of books tend to be different from the actual book.
If the movie is exactly…more
I know this is two months old but I'll answer it anyway.
Movie adaptations of books tend to be different from the actual book.
If the movie is exactly the same as the book then why waste your money if you already know what will happen?
And I'm guessing it was just drawn that way because she's a very small child? I'm not sure why, I guess the paper is just way too big for her!

Raeleen Lemay
This book was so great! I do enjoy the movie a bit more, but nevertheless this will always be a favorite of mine. I also really want to re-read some more Roald Dahl books now!
Grace Tjan
5 stars from my little girl, Jess (age 7).

Comments while reading:

"Matilda's parents are sooo stupid!"

"What is a 'used car salesman'?"

"How does putting sawdust and oil in a car's gearbox make it run smoother?"

"The funniest parts are when Miss Trunchbull hurled the kids out of the classroom, and when the newt fell on her."

"How come Miss Trunchbull made Nigel stand with one leg up while facing the wall? That's a weird punishment."

"What?! Miss Honey's wicked aunt is Miss Trunchbull?"

"What i

While I personally love a book about a child prodigy (especially in the area of telekinesis), I had a different reaction to this book while rereading it as an adult. As a kid I thought Matilda was awesome, she was intelligent and independent. As an adult I see this as a book about gross neglect and a commentary on absentee parenting and its role in our children's education.

I come from a county where the dropout rate is high and everyone wants to blame the teachers, but no one identifies the rea
Shayantani Das
Matilda is basically a child prodigy; she is 4 years old and a voracious reader. That is amazing, I know! But, Matilda is not the only character. There are the tyrannical parents who do not encourage reading, do not have a shred of love or sympathy for Matilda and basically hate Matilda for some unknown reason. They even abandon her without even thinking twice. Who does that???? Especially with out any sane cause.

Then there is her school life and enters Mrs. Trunchbull. She is evil. Not simply
Jason Koivu
This might be one of the most perfect books for readers. It's about a reader who just wants to get her read on and bad people are trying to stop her.

Instant character attachment!

Fully involved in the "tumultuous" plot!

"Let my reader goooo...." sing the readers!

What a wonderful tale! Little Matilda is saddled with a nasty father, a fairly terrible mother and an indifferent brother. Matilda just wants to read. Why read when we've got the telly, wonder her disgusting parents. After being crapped
Nov 06, 2010 Mariel rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cool people
Recommended to Mariel by: public school
"You chose books and I chose looks." Matilda's mom kills me. I chose looks. I like to look smart too, though. In high school my bro's friends would pick on me for owning so many books. I pretended to be dumb like Matilda and said I hadn't read any of the books and they were trophies to make me look smart. That answer was apparently the right thing to say (probably about the only time I've ever said the right thing either. If it is right to say either like eye-ther I said it like eee-thur, and so ...more
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen.

This book was so heartwarming. And it just proved that Dahl was (and always will be) one of the best storytellers ever. The way he writes and how he draws you into the story will always amaze me. This is my second book of his, but it definitely won't be my last.

Amazing book, that I think everybody should read, at least once.
WOW, I loved Matilda ! This was my first time reading the story that makes so many list of "must read" that I wanted to understand what all of the fuss was about. Well now I do!!!

Roald Dahl weaves a compelling and creative tale that keeps the reader interested from start to finish! This book is charming, clever, and funny ... with a bit of sadness mixed in.

The characters are vividly developed:

From the Good ...

* Matilda, the child prodigy, who taught herself to read and has morals (not sure whe
I would like to write about how great this book is, but I think my 8-year old daughter does a much better review. She read the book aloud to my wife and me on our long road trip this week.

The non sequitur moment in her review brought to you by Spice, the howling cat.

Oh, and yes - Spoilers abound.
Duda Klein
I used to watch this movie when I was a kid and I honestly don't know why it took me so much to read the book.. I really loved the irony about the sexism coming for her mother and father, it was clearly a critic.
I only had two issues with this book:
- The way every five year old child speak and think like an adult;
- The end

The end was really fast and I think it could be more worked on...

Besides that, it's a really great book and a fast read.
Oh Roald Dahl, you make my life complete. Matilda is one of those books for me. One of the books in my bookshelf, tattered and worn, pages falling out, that I will always go back to, no matter what the occasion. Dear, darling Miss Honey, Matilda's first grade teacher, is ever child's dream, and now that I'm older, every adult's dream as well. Miss Honey lives in a two room cottage with no running water, a camp stove, and wooden boxes for seats. She eats margarine instead of butter! Would that w ...more
Sarah Churchill
What's not to love about Matilda? Child genius who loves reading and learning, Terrible (verbally abusive) parents and an all kinds of abusive Headmistress. It sounds like it's going to be dismal, and it is sad - I really, really felt for little Matilda - but her attitude and outlook on life are fantastic and inspirational. And like all Dahl books, the nasty characters get their comeuppance. Love, love, love this book even more than I remembered.
K.D. Absolutely
This is my third book by Roald Dahi (1916-1990). I did not plan to read this because I’ve already read his more famous (earlier) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (1964) and his boyhood memoir, Boy: Tales of Childhood (1984) which are both included in the 501 Must Read Books that I am trying to read completely. However, the Filipinos group here in Goodreads selected this book as its bestseller read for this month, September 2011 so I had to buy and read this one too.

This book's main protagonist,
pinkpinkpink (teaching my cat how to read)
I remember reading Matilda as a child... and back then I had a lot of questions:
How did Matilda learn to add very large numbers?
Why can't I add large numbers like Matilda?
Is it really ok to get back at your parents when you think they did something wrong?
Are there really people like "The Trunchball"?
Can I have superpowers like Matilda?
Why am I not allowed to go to the library by myself when Matilda can clearly manage by herself?
And lastly,Can adults really be that clueless and stupid?

But reading
This was a fun read, even though the movie Matilda is heavily engraved in my mind and there was no real surprises when reading it. It was fun even though the young lad I was reading it with kept falling asleep two pages in, and I felt to finish in one night.
This story could be used as a manual to parents on how to NOT raise your kids and to all the Trunchbottoms, on how to Not teach children.
All the Trunchbottoms watch out their next pupil might just be like Matilda or up the ante maybe the gi
Heba Nouraldeen
لم تفارقني الأبتسامة طوال قراءتي
لقد أحببتك يا ماتيلدا :)
تلك الفتاة الراشدة صغيرة السن ..العبقرية حادة الذكاء
وللأسف كم من الأباء والامهات يفتخرون بأبنائهم الحمقى المغفلين وفى المقابل هناك غيرهم من لا يهتم بعبقرية ابنائهم ويعتبرونها ثرثرة فارغة بل ومزعجة...
واخيراً ماتيلدا كانت تدرك ان الذكاء وحده لا يكفى
كانت لطيفة ...واللطف يأتى فى مقدمة الصفات الأنسانية التى لابد الا نتخلى عنها ابداً
جميل عالم الأطفال بفكاهته ..نحن بحاجة للعودة اليه من حين لأخر :)
My senior year in high school, I became friends with this girl that kind of way outclassed me.

I wore men's cords and snap up western shirts under tee shirts, and was often barefoot when I could get away with it (I kept my duct taped corduroy converse in my backpack and would just slip them on when I went into class)I dyed my hair every week and went to a lot of local punk and third wave shows (srsly, a lot - like at least two a week and I rarely paid my way in).

Contrast with E. who wore heels an
La verdad es que siempre tuve curiosidad por leer este libro ya que siempre amé la peli, pero la honestamente esperaba otra cosas y resultó no ser mi favorito de Roald Dahl, tiene obras mucho más ingeniosas y entretenidas.

Lo dejo en un me gustó.

Sin embargo, le voy a dar cinco estrellas porque:

1º es Roald Dahl
2º es Matilda
3º detesto a los adultos que le dan puntajes negativos a libros infantiles. Dios no permita que me convierta en una alguna vez :P
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
I have to wonder about Roald Dahl's childhood. His evil adult characters had to have come from his own nightmares. The kids always win against the grownups, though. Maybe that's why Dahl's books are so popular. Isn't it every kid's dream to get back at the big people who get to control your life just because they're big and you're little?
Some of Dahl's grownups are so absurdly cruel, it emphasizes the fact that there are a lot of adults who should not be allowed near children. (I'm thinking of
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Despite Roald Dahl being my favorite author as a child (I loved The BFG and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory the most), I never read this book as a child. I've also never seen the movie. I suspect my parents kept it from me, afraid of what my brain would do with the revenge fantasy theme. *grin* I do love the idea of extra brain power coming out in secret powers. I already had that fantasy as a child, so my parents couldn't keep it from me entirely.

This audiobook production is spectacular. Kate
Vitor Martins
Primeiro livro do Roald Dhal que eu leio e, apesar de já estar esperando uma boa história (amo o filme), me surpreendi com a narrativa sensível.
Uma leitura rapidinha, mas muito proveitosa! Adorei!
This book was almost *too* stimulating, too gloriously gratifying, when first I read it at a tender age: it's repulsively trite of me to say this, but I felt that it had been written expressly for me.

Just a few of its attractions:
- a fiendishly, freakishly precocious protagonist, whose precocity is depicted as a source of both value and supernatural powers. We're supposed to love Matilda *because* she's smart (a welcome relief from the nerd-bashing and suffocating averageness of other kids'-lit
June 23, 2013

Another wonderful memory of my childhood. Sort of. I read this book years ago (I won't say how many, of course), and I loved it. My dear grandma (my Goodreads back then) bought it for me. I read it as fast as I read Little Women. I just couldn't put it away. Amazing story, nice writing, funny descriptions of... kind of awkward situations. Really good book. A book that I no longer have because I lent it to someone and that someone NEVER gave it back to me. So, if you, "someone", have
This was the perfect reading experience for an out loud reread with my six year old. He absolutely adored the story and I had hoped he would because this is one of my absolute childhood favorites.

We took our time and read this over two weeks with just small chunks each night. My little was cracking me up with his running commentary on the story and I realized very quickly that he is growing up so much faster than I realized.

He was very focused on Matilda's family dynamic even after we meet the T
Sidharth Vardhan
It was a toss between this and 'Ulysses'. And 'The Sound and the Fury'* - Which, by the way, Matilda had read by age of five! and she liked it! Feeling embarrassed already? No? she could also tell you within seconds and without calculator; what is seventeen times nineteen. Can you? Can you?

Not only is she a child prodigy; she also showed ability of telekinesis for sometime. Roald Dahl seems to have a message for both children and grown-ups. And it is quite clear; grown-ups need not always be rig
So much fun to read, mainly because of the nostalgia, silly humour and mad-over-the-top characters - I especially loved evil Mrs Trunchbull and her Chokey and Matilda's awful parents. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was Matilda coming into her random powers too late in the story, also some of the kids sounded a little old for their age. Still it was an entertaining little read.
This is a funny yet heartfelt moving story about a small girl who comes from a hellish family but shows a tender heart and an optimistic personality. Very inspiring! While reading this, I can’t stop thinking I wish I had a brain like her especially the ability to read all those great novels in a very early age. Unlike Matilda, my mom was the one doing the reading job when I was 5 years old...LOL!

Every one should read this no matter what age…
The audiobook as read by Kate Winslet, Perfect Human Being, is a 5/5, for sure. So good. Very entertaining, Northern accents (one of my favourites!), nice range of voices. I love her reading. So much. I'm going to go look up every other book she's read and listen to each of them.

If I had read this as a child, I would have mostly been interested in Matilda being really into books and getting justice for Miss Honey (justice is my fave), but reading it as an adult is really a different beast altoge
Ahmad Sharabiani
پدر تو چهطور به دختر نابغهات میگویی: بیشعور»
پدر و مادر ماتیلدا لقبهای زشتی به دخترشان دادهاند: حقهباز! احمق! بیشعور! دروغگو! اما راستش را بخواهید ماتیلدا یک دختر کوچولوی نابغه است. پس باید دید که ماتیلدا چهطور میتواند رودست پدر و مادرش بلند شود و به مدیر مدرسه بفهماند که استعداد و قدرتی کاملاً استثنایی دارد.» رولد دال بهترین نویسندهی مرد انگلستان لقب گرفته است. او مینویسد: «اگر میخواهید دنیا را از دریچهی چشم کودکان ببینید، چهار دست و پا روی زمین زانو بزنید و به بزرگسالانی که بالای سرتان چشم غره
Hanbi Ko
Jan 02, 2008 Hanbi Ko rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids
Matilda is an extrodinary 5 year old girl with amazing mental powers with her eyes and brain. She lives to do anything to get rid of the school's principal and finds a new family with a teacher in her grade while her family is moving. She is willing to always try her best and shares her thoughts to everyone. She gives hope to others and she finds happiness.
Catching up on Cl...: Matilda -- Spoiler Thread 31 51 Nov 22, 2015 12:11PM
Catching up on Cl...: Matilda -- No Spoilers 14 47 Nov 11, 2015 06:22AM
  • Pluk van de Petteflet
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Pippi Goes on Board
  • Sideways Stories from Wayside School (Wayside School #1)
  • Second Form at Malory Towers (Malory Towers, #2)
  • Kruistocht in spijkerbroek
  • De katten van Kruisem
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • De kleine kapitein in het land van Waan en Wijs

Dahl's first published work, inspired by a meeting with C. S. Forester, was Shot Down Over Libya. Today the story is published as "A Piece of Cake". The story, about his wartime a
More about Roald Dahl...

“The books transported her into new worlds and introduced her to amazing people who lived exciting lives. She went on olden-day sailing ships with Joseph Conrad. She went to Africa with Ernest Hemingway and to India with Rudyard Kipling. She travelled all over the world while sitting in her little room in an English village.” 775 likes
“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.” 737 likes