Start by marking “The Overseer” as Want to Read:
The Overseer

The Overseer

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  248 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A blueprint for world domination whose cynicism goes a chilling step beyond Machiavelli, this document -- in the wrong hands -- could bring about the downfall of the free world.
Published July 1st 1999 by Jove (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Overseer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overseer

This is a compelling international thriller. Just when you think it is safe to stop, the characters are spun in a new direction that leaves the reader breathless.

Government agent Sarah Trent is sent on a fact finding mission. Little does she know that it is a conspiracy to draw her back into the world of espionage. Her research leads her to Columbia University professor Xander Jaspers. Jaspers becomes Sarahs instructor in understanding an even larger conspiracy.

That conspiracy is centered on The
A well-written and seat-gripping thriller. Might make you think of the DaVinci Code because it's got people searching for a manuscript, but that's about where the similarity ends, since this one is all about political theory and its application to controlling states via terrorism pre-9/11.

The female protagonist is a smart and sensitive government operative, the male protagonist a gentle golly-gee-whiz academic, and they actually seem like believable people, at least as far as thrillers and vast
Cynthia Armistead
I never had any interest in reading the Da Vinci Code, and if I'd heard about this, I might not have been interested in it, either. But somehow I picked up a damaged copy of it, and got terribly interested but it was in such bad shape that there was no way to go on reading. I found that I had to request it from the library, and as soon as it arrived I started over at the beginning. I've read it in chunks since then.

If I'd read this book when it was first released, back in 1998, I'm sure it would
Eine Gruppe von Leuten setzt an, die Theorien eines Mönches aus dem 16. Jahrhundert zur Erlangung der absoluten Staatsmacht in die Praxis umzusetzen. Voraussetzung für diese dauerhafte Staatsmacht ist es, erst einmal Chaos und Panik zu erzeugen.
Erst als die ersten Probeläufe für das Chaos analufen, wird klar, daß es diese Leute ernst meinen und sie gewillt sind, alles zu zerstören, um dann ihren neuen Staat aufzubauen. Die Zeit, sie noch aufzuhalten, ist knapp...
Spannend geschrieben, trickreich
This novel started out well - I was quickly drawn into the story and the two main characters were plausible and interesting and the writing was crisp and tight. However, as it went on, it just went on and on. Sarah became more of a fantasy James Bond character, Xander seemed to become too quickly adept at thriller work and everyone seemed to know more and more than the reader. In the end, it was a stuggle to finish and the climax, when it came owed way too much to James Bond movies, with large m ...more
good summer read. Take it to the beach.
A strange book! I don't mean a bad one, I mean a strange one! So much so that I do believe I will read it again quite soon. The story is a bit confused at the start. But it gets more and more interesting as it goes. Since English is not my mother language, I had a bit of trouble understanding some things, and had to read it over again until I caught what it meant. I would recommend it to a person that enjoys the language, and is not only in a hurry to know the end of the story.
Jonathan Rabb....Hmm. The book is interesting a tell-tale of what would happen if a manuscript got into the wrong hands. At first i could not get the concept but when i dug in deeper i got more intrigued by it. It isn't the best Ive read,but its definably one to go for.
Not great. The stilted writing would have been okay if the plot was suspenseful and engrossing, but unfortunately things just plodded along. The characters were implausible, but not as implausible as the pseudo-Machiavellian storyline. Oh, well--it was just a beach read.
I found the basic premise of the book to be rather that made it hard to believe the things that happened in it. There was also too much discussion of political philosophy for a mystery/thriller. The action scenes were well-written and the characters believable.
It was very hard to put this book down. Rabb went so far as to write the "400 year old manuscript" that is at the center of the story. All-in-all a very clever piece of work...both the story and the manuscript.
I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is: a thriller with touches of political theory. There are some instances where it's clear that Rabb is an inexperienced writer, but I still enjoyed it regardless.
A mediocre DaVinci Code at best...predictable, and not particularly creative. Did not really care for the characters nor the secret manuscript around which the story centered.
Very awesome! Recommended to those who want an emotional action with a graze of romance which hardly touches the main plot and is wonderful in every way.
I forced myself to keep reading for 50 pages. The writing is stilted and the plot not compelling. Not spending any more precious reading time on this one!
Sixteenth century supremacy theory is put into practice in the twentieth century. I couldn't finish this one.

Wildly implausible, but Rabb shows some of the glimmers of talent that shine brighter in his later books.
Goes to show that the DaVinci code was nothing new. Good "history is cool" mystery action novel.
Not great. Had a hard time reading it to the finish. His later books are much, much better.
This book blows the Da Vinci Code away. One of my favorite thrillers.
A somewhat busy first novel lacking in suspense.
Sue Davis
Political theory and thriller. Pretty good, not great.
Frank Charles
Couldn't finish it. Hard to get into.
Gitte marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Ashley Scarlett
Ashley Scarlett marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Correct book name in spanish 2 10 Apr 03, 2015 03:47PM
  • Scipio Africanus (The Carthage Trilogy, #2)
  • Dancing with Eva
  • Children of Wrath
  • Marta
  • Папокот на светот (Papokot na svetot)
  • Pismo gospođe Vilme
  • Day of the Bees
  • Mildred Pierced (Toby Peters, #23)
  • The Sadness of the Samurai
  • Off the Radar: A Father's Secret, a Mother's Heroism, and a Son's Quest
  • The Nightingale
  • La loba blanca
  • The Colour Of Heaven
  • The Athenian Murders
  • The Third Translation
  • The Last Nazi
  • Napoleon: The Song of Departure (Napoleon, #1)
  • A Gathering of Spies
Jonathan Rabb grew up knowing he would be an academic. The son and grandson (on both sides) of historians, Rabb’s world shook at its very core when he opted to try his hand at political theory. As an undergraduate at Yale, Rabb divided his time among Locke and Hobbes and Hegel while spending his more reckless hours singing with the Whiffenpoofs and galloping across stage in such roles as Harry the ...more
More about Jonathan Rabb...
Rosa (Berlin Trilogy, #1) Shadow and Light (Berlin Trilogy, #2) The Book of Q: A Novel The Second Son (Berlin Trilogy, #3) El Senor del Caos