The Overseer

The Overseer

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A blueprint for world domination whose cynicism goes a chilling step beyond Machiavelli, this document -- in the wrong hands -- could bring about the downfall of the free world.
Paperback
Published July 1st 1999 by Jove (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Overseer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Overseer

Paula
This is a compelling international thriller. Just when you think it is safe to stop, the characters are spun in a new direction that leaves the reader breathless.

Government agent Sarah Trent is sent on a fact finding mission. Little does she know that it is a conspiracy to draw her back into the world of espionage. Her research leads her to Columbia University professor Xander Jaspers. Jaspers becomes Sarah´s instructor in understanding an even larger conspiracy.

That conspiracy is centered on Th...more
Joanne
A well-written and seat-gripping thriller. Might make you think of the DaVinci Code because it's got people searching for a manuscript, but that's about where the similarity ends, since this one is all about political theory and its application to controlling states via terrorism pre-9/11.

The female protagonist is a smart and sensitive government operative, the male protagonist a gentle golly-gee-whiz academic, and they actually seem like believable people, at least as far as thrillers and vast...more
Cynthia Armistead
I never had any interest in reading the Da Vinci Code, and if I'd heard about this, I might not have been interested in it, either. But somehow I picked up a damaged copy of it, and got terribly interested but it was in such bad shape that there was no way to go on reading. I found that I had to request it from the library, and as soon as it arrived I started over at the beginning. I've read it in chunks since then.

If I'd read this book when it was first released, back in 1998, I'm sure it would...more
Dokusha
Eine Gruppe von Leuten setzt an, die Theorien eines Mönches aus dem 16. Jahrhundert zur Erlangung der absoluten Staatsmacht in die Praxis umzusetzen. Voraussetzung für diese dauerhafte Staatsmacht ist es, erst einmal Chaos und Panik zu erzeugen.
Erst als die ersten Probeläufe für das Chaos analufen, wird klar, daß es diese Leute ernst meinen und sie gewillt sind, alles zu zerstören, um dann ihren neuen Staat aufzubauen. Die Zeit, sie noch aufzuhalten, ist knapp...
Spannend geschrieben, trickreich...more
Bill
This novel started out well - I was quickly drawn into the story and the two main characters were plausible and interesting and the writing was crisp and tight. However, as it went on, it just went on and on. Sarah became more of a fantasy James Bond character, Xander seemed to become too quickly adept at thriller work and everyone seemed to know more and more than the reader. In the end, it was a stuggle to finish and the climax, when it came owed way too much to James Bond movies, with large m...more
Mkl
A strange book! I don't mean a bad one, I mean a strange one! So much so that I do believe I will read it again quite soon. The story is a bit confused at the start. But it gets more and more interesting as it goes. Since English is not my mother language, I had a bit of trouble understanding some things, and had to read it over again until I caught what it meant. I would recommend it to a person that enjoys the language, and is not only in a hurry to know the end of the story.
Kristel
This book is better than my three-star rating would lead you to believe. I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is: a thriller with touches of political theory. There are some instances where it's clear that Rabb is an inexperienced writer, but I still enjoyed it regardless.
Erin
Not great. The stilted writing would have been okay if the plot was suspenseful and engrossing, but unfortunately things just plodded along. The characters were implausible, but not as implausible as the pseudo-Machiavellian storyline. Oh, well--it was just a beach read.
Tomi
I found the basic premise of the book to be rather farfetched...so that made it hard to believe the things that happened in it. There was also too much discussion of political philosophy for a mystery/thriller. The action scenes were well-written and the characters believable.
Seamus
It was very hard to put this book down. Rabb went so far as to write the "400 year old manuscript" that is at the center of the story. All-in-all a very clever piece of work...both the story and the manuscript.
Krista
A mediocre DaVinci Code at best...predictable, and not particularly creative. Did not really care for the characters nor the secret manuscript around which the story centered.
Michaela
Very awesome! Recommended to those who want an emotional action with a graze of romance which hardly touches the main plot and is wonderful in every way.
Jane
I forced myself to keep reading for 50 pages. The writing is stilted and the plot not compelling. Not spending any more precious reading time on this one!
Chuck
Sixteenth century supremacy theory is put into practice in the twentieth century. I couldn't finish this one.

Jessica
Wildly implausible, but Rabb shows some of the glimmers of talent that shine brighter in his later books.
Wendy
Goes to show that the DaVinci code was nothing new. Good "history is cool" mystery action novel.
Mardie
Not great. Had a hard time reading it to the finish. His later books are much, much better.
Simon
This book blows the Da Vinci Code away. One of my favorite thrillers.
Brenda
A somewhat busy first novel lacking in suspense.
Sue Davis
Political theory and thriller. Pretty good, not great.
Frank Charles
Couldn't finish it. Hard to get into.
Patri
Patri added it
Aug 12, 2014
Miroslav Bratanov
Miroslav Bratanov marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Jugoslav Stojcheski
Jugoslav Stojcheski is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2014
Johana Saenz
Johana Saenz marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Mouna Laghrib
Mouna Laghrib marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
John Fugate
John Fugate marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
  • Bullet for a Star (Toby Peters, #1)
  • Children of Wrath
  • Remembering the Titanic
  • 27
  • The Third Translation
  • The Amateur
  • The Snows of Yesteryear
  • Mind Catcher
  • The Case of the Careless Kitten (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Select
  • A Proper Education for Girls
  • Murder Your Darlings (An Algonquin Round Table Mystery #1)
  • Zig Zag
  • The Music of the Spheres
  • Drowning Towers
  • Mr. Clarinet (Max Mingus, #1)
  • The Falling Woman
  • The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria (Sano Ichiro, #7)
Jonathan Rabb grew up knowing he would be an academic. The son and grandson (on both sides) of historians, Rabb’s world shook at its very core when he opted to try his hand at political theory. As an undergraduate at Yale, Rabb divided his time among Locke and Hobbes and Hegel while spending his more reckless hours singing with the Whiffenpoofs and galloping across stage in such roles as Harry the...more
More about Jonathan Rabb...
Rosa (Berlin Trilogy, #1) Shadow and Light (Berlin Trilogy, #2) The Book of Q: A Novel The Second Son (Berlin Trilogy, #3) The Strand Magazine June-Sept. 2013