Start by marking “The Complete Odes” as Want to Read:
The Complete Odes

The Complete Odes

The Greek poet Pindar (c. 518-428 BC) composed victory odes for winners in the ancient Games, including the Olympics. He celebrated the victories of athletes competing in foot races, horse races, boxing, wrestling, all-in fighting and the pentathlon, and his Odes are fascinating not only for their poetic qualities, but for what they tell us about the Games. Pindar praises ...more
Paperback, Oxford World's Classics, 186 pages
Published July 16th 2007 by Oxford University Press (first published -444)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Odes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Odes

Yann
Jul 23, 2011 Yann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: antiquité, grece, po-sie

Pindare est un poète grec du 6eme siècle avant JC. Il a connu la guerre contre les perses relatée par Hérodote. Bien que postérieur à Homère et Hésiode, ses compositions ont été très appréciées et j'ai toujours eu envie de lire ces fameux Péans que les armées grecques chantaient avant le combat, dont parle Thucydide dans la guerre du Péloponnèse. Certains chants sont hélas très lacunaires, on a gardé surtout des poèmes qui étaient dédiés aux vainqueurs des jeux olympiques.

Mon seul regret avec ce
Daniel Chaikin
Oh dear... Pindar is tough. I used two translations to try to get through this, but apparently Pindar is tough on translators too. Not only were their poetics different, but the meaning was often wildly different (that is, when I understood the meaning).

Pindar of Thebes wrote numerous books, about 18 of which were known to have existed, and all but four are now lost. Those four consist of his poems in honor of the winner of various events at ancient olympic games. The poems are rife with mytholo
Eadweard
Apr 10, 2013 Eadweard rated it liked it
Shelves: greek, poetry
These were... sort of tough to get through. You better know your greek mythology to make any sense out of them, if not, be ready to read the footnotes every 15 seconds.
Caracalla
May 08, 2013 Caracalla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I write this just cause I did a sort of whistle stop tour of the epinicion odes this morning, having previously read Pythians I, II, IX and Olympian I in the Greek and done essay work on Olympian I. I ended up finding lots of reasons to find Pindar highly imprssive although at first the painful process of actually translating him had made me feel less favorable. It's particularly in the poems with longer sections of mythological narrative like Olympian I, Pythian IV and IX that it's clear Pindar ...more
Cliff Davis
Jul 30, 2012 Cliff Davis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed these vibrant poems that bring to life the ancient Greek world, even though they were reputed to be obscure and difficult.
Annik
3.5/5
Tony
Aug 03, 2012 Tony rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
THE ODES. (this trans. 1969). Pindar. *.
All I can say is that I tried. These odes, written by Pindar (518BC-438BC), probably between the years 480BC and 460BC, are simply not accessible to me. Although the translator C. M. Bowra has attempted to provide us with enough background to give it our best try, I still didn’t have enough knowledge to make heads or tails of the work. Pindar wrote these odes to honor winners of various Olympic games. Each was dedicated to the individual champion in each
Σς
Sep 19, 2012 Σς rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, greeks
Another Greek poet in the canon with an enormous reputation, who simply is disqualifyingly alien to today's reader. These poems are odes to famous athletes, something I think only Lil' Wayne does nowadays.

As with almost all classical poets, these poems are all highly, highly allusive, and uncultured rubes like me miss a lot. It took a lot of effort to finish this book, and I simply did not enjoy it. I do not fault the translator: it is simply not possible to translate Greek quantitative verse i
Alp Turgut
Ve sonunda geldik 2015'in son kitabına. Antik çağın 9 büyük lirik şairinden biri olan Pindar / Pindaros'un (MÖ 518-438) tüm şiirlerini okuyucuya sunan "The Odes / Bütün Zafer Şarkıları", olimpiyat oyunlarında zafer kazananları övmek ve ödüllendirmek amaçlı yazılmış şiirleri barındırıyor. Sappho ve Hipponaks'ın aksine mitolojiye daha fazla önem veren Pindaros'un metaforik dilini anlamak gerçekten çok zor. Fazlasıyla sabır gerektiren bir eser olmasından dolayı eserin açıkçası bir yerden sonra gerç ...more
Jesse
Jul 03, 2010 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pindar, whose name is used in Marx as a euphemism for one who sings the praises of tyrannies, wrote some of the greatest poetry of the ancient world. Extolling athletes and connecting them to incidents in myth, each ode weaves a web of mystery and beauty that will make you want to wear a laurel wreath and dilute your wine; indeed, the odes are so pleasing, you won't notice your gag reflex upon reading the conservative maxims interspersed throughout.
AGamarra
Aug 13, 2015 AGamarra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clásicos
Las Odas de Píndaro, son un grupo de poemas dirigidos a celebrar triunfos de famosos griegos en los juegos de la antigüedad.

Es como una canción dedicada a un triunfador, pero las Odas de Píndaro, con sus demás poemas son además fuente invaluable de Mitología Griega, describe con hermoso lirismo diferentes pasajes. Debo mencionar entre ellos en primer lugar a Jasón y los Argonautas, y también me entusiasmaron las historias de Tántalo y de Beleforonte.
Pandafeet
I think these are made to be heard but not read. Perhaps it was just the translation. When I was in the mood for them I enjoyed them, other times it was a struggle to keep going. I'm glad I have read them though, you really do notice how political they are in some cases and that brings them closer to us in modern times. I much preferred London mayor Boris Johnson reading an Olympic ode in the Greek at the 2012 London games.
Adam
Nov 22, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth it for the following:

"Even so we go abroad in our manhood's height,
pondering many designs; for our limbs are shackled to shame-
less hope, and the streams of forethought lie afar.
We should seek out some measure in things gained;
too bitter are the pangs of madness after loves that arc past
attainment."
Derek
Mar 05, 2016 Derek rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heavy poems without the cultural context -- I spent most of the time looking at the absurd quantity of notes rather than with each poem. Nevertheless, there were moments when the poetry truly shined, whether it was Pindar's cheeky commentary, his beautiful phrasing, or his strong (and impressive) understanding of city-state/Grecian mythology.
James Violand
Jul 03, 2014 James Violand rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of ancient Greece.
Shelves: own
Pindar earned his bread by comparing champion athletes with mythical heroes. Much of our knowledge of these heroes come from their being recorded in his odes. Interesting read. Not for everyone, especially not for those who do not appreciate Greek poetry.
Mike Jensen
Nov 10, 2010 Mike Jensen marked it as books-abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Ancient flowery poetry of the "Oh great [name of god] who ascends from on high" sort puts me off. Reading this translation of Pindar's odes was an attempt to finally overcome this and "get it." I failed and bailed out. I found this book a bore. Maybe it is better in Greek.
Mel
This might be extremely valuable to those translating from the original Greek, but for the rest of it, I'd guess it's an unrewarding chore. Pindar is the grand-daddy of all brown-nosers and should be the patronus of all modern spin doctors. Save your money - buy some donuts.
Michael
Jun 08, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Possibly the greatest poet to have ever lived. A primary influence on our ideology of sport, Pindar also nearly single-handedly created the unified kingdom of Rhodes, where the relevant poem was inscribed in gold on the central temple. His control of language is simply unsurpassed.
John
Nov 10, 2009 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Pindar is like the yeast to true classical poetry's wine. His style and allusions felt obscure even for this type of art and I really never could get into his head. This has thankfully been preserved for us despite thousands of years, but is best used as a textbook, not recreational reading.
Christin
Guity rating: when something's too classic to give just two stars but too boring to give more than three. Sorry Pindar.

(should have known, Edith Hamilton likes him and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)
Zepp
Jun 12, 2008 Zepp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cool jerk
Another great translation by RL, a nice compact edition with an excellent cover. Find this one for sure.
Dan Yingst
Just couldn't get into it as much as Sappho or Homer. Given that I also was frustrated by Horace, it might just be that odes aren't my cup of tea.
Averill
Oct 12, 2014 Averill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading Pindar was akin to eating a pomegranate, a lot of work for so little sustenance. I was expecting something like the Iliad or the Aeneid... I was wrong. Lol
Mark Swessinger
Dry

While Pidar's Odes are good reading, reading them in this manner was toil-some. They are best consumed one or two at a seating with other light fare to be read along side.
christophocles
Dec 28, 2015 christophocles rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Legendary & underrated text. It's funny to think of an Olympic champion on the podium receiving poetry so full of startling truths.
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2012
Biba Yaish
Biba Yaish rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Julius McCarter
Julius McCarter rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
John Hercules
John Hercules rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2015
Jude Brigley
Jude Brigley rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2011
  • The Comedies
  • Epigrams
  • Selected Satires
  • The Poems

“Creatures of a day. What is someone? What is no one? Man is the dream of a shadow.” 3 likes
“But in one short span of time winds quickly shift direction,   veering back and forth.” 2 likes