Start by marking “Girl in the Mirror” as Want to Read:
Girl in the Mirror

Girl in the Mirror

Charlotte Godowski was used to the horrified stares she received from strangers. She'd learned to accept her facial deformity, until one cruel incident compelled her to have the surgery that changed her life forever.

Charlotte Godfrey is beautiful beyond compare. In Hollywood, where such beauty is power, her rise is meteoric. Suddenly she has everything she could want: acce
Published November 15th 2012 by Mira Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Girl in the Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl in the Mirror

Dawn Bates
Mar 23, 2013 Dawn Bates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up from a selection a friend donated to raise money for animal welfare here in Egypt. It is not really my kind of book, but I thought I would give it a go. It turned out to be a book that mirrored my own feelings of myself at the point of reading it. A troubled soul trying to make sense of herself, trying to accept the way she looks and appears to others even though she doesn't connect with the person people think she is.

I have hit age 35 and although I know I have achieved a
Becky
Jul 01, 2015 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and heartbroken story of a woman born with a physical abnormality. Parts of the book was slow and therefore could not give it a great rating
comfort
Parts of this story (about AIDS) is out of date and the author makes a notation at the beginning of the book to clear this up.

Charlotte is born with a facial disfigurement and does not live her life to the fullest. SHe does. however, have a killer bod.

After she is sexually harassed by her boss at a office party she wins enough money in the court case to buy herself a new face.

She moves to California and becomes a minor actress and falls in love with the Mexican "gardener". She leaves her Mother
Kathrine
Oct 12, 2012 Kathrine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fluff, book-club
First off this book felt incredibly dated, even with the updates the author supposedly made (I'm not going to try to track down an original copy to compare. So not worth my time).

How many social issues can an author shoe horn into 400 pages? Apparently too many. Plastic surgery vs beauty? Check. Child Abuse? Check. HIV+? Check. Familial obligations? Check. Race issues? Check. It was like a bad Lifetime movie. To make matters worse, only one of those issues was truly about the 'Girl in the Mirror
Suzanne
Mar 27, 2009 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The books that I've read from this author has been more about conservation issues. This one is quite different.
The main character--Charlotte--was born without a pretty face. She was teased and bullied until she was 18. That was enough for her! So, she went to a plastic surgeon & had a makeover. She then went to LA to see the world & hopefully, be an actress. Her life was wonderful & she was having so much fun until she started getting headaches & other health issues. Could these
graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst)
"Girl in the Mirror" is one of those Jackie Collins-lite books; a mixture of Lifetime movies, soap operas and Jacqueline Susanne. I occasionally have an urge for such type a book and I have to say that this was an entertaining one! The story was rather engaging, the characters were just about as good as they could be for this type of book (I don't mean that disparagingly in any way), and it was an easy, breezy read. Yes, a lot of it is implausible and the surprises really aren't, but it's pure f ...more
Maureen
A little bit far-fetched, but a good read none the less! It was one of those books that I couldn't put down. I enjoy all of Mary Alice Monroe's books. I admire the way that she creates characters that feel very real to the reader. I believe that Girl in the Mirror is one of her earlier novels. Like I said, the story line was a little bit far fetched. The circumstances and coincidences seemed a little unlikely, but that's the joy of fiction!It was a nice easy read. All in all, a nice love story!
Emily
Jul 03, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It deals with appearance, self-esteem, and also a lot with love. Because she suffered from a face malformation, she thought no one could lover her .Of course she finds out she was all wrong. Physical beauty does not worth inner beauty. She has been trapped by this world of appearances where physical beauty is overrated.
Mary Sewell
Very good book as most every one of Monroe's are. I was a little slow getting into this one, but it got progressively more interesting as I progressed until about 3/4 of the way through when I couldn't put it down. Characters were pretty accurately portrayed and I found the description of the older Mexican customs interesting and accurate.
Beth Balberchak
May 15, 2012 Beth Balberchak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's some strong conflict here, and the heroine goes thru a MAJOR journey. I hadn't read M.A. Monroe but I heard her give a workshop once and loved it.

I love that the hero wasn't your typical alpha type. He's a Mexican-American.

Overall, I really enjoyed it! A great find on my library's free shelf. :)
Natalya
Jun 14, 2010 Natalya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strong book, great plot, lots of action, fun characters, love the Mexican-American theme, great morality tale of testing love via beauty/ugliness transformation (would you love me no matter what), characters likable though with flaws which makes them three dimensional. What surprised me was her style, realistic and choppy, more common to writing of men authors. Will read more by her...
Meow
Mar 09, 2010 Meow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, romance
This is essentially a romance novel, but with much more depth and a great twist on the stagnant female. Examines conceptions of beauty and what a woman is willing to risk to gain and maintain hers. Not as crazy about His side of the story, but the Heroine's was enough to keep me completely enthralled.
Joann
Sep 17, 2014 Joann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that will make you stop and think about the value our society places on beauty and the cost of that beauty to an individual. On some levels this is a love story; on another level, it's a statement about the shallowness of society and the media. I really enjoyed the book.
Samantha Donaldson
From ugly duckling to a beautiful swan. This book reminds us that beauty is only skin deep, and that true beauty lies within. Being beautiful and famous isn't all glitz and glamour. A great read it contains characters that you will love to hate and others you just love!
Phyllis Mcgovern
Nov 17, 2016 Phyllis Mcgovern rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Intro to author

This is the first book I have read by Mary Alice Monroe and must say I'm glad to make her acquaintance
The flow of the story had me turning pages and postponing my chores
I recommend this book to everyone as it has believable characters and food for thought
Crystal
Jan 22, 2016 Crystal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. this was my first exposure to Mary Alice Monroe's work. So many twists and turns in this story that I was on the edge of my seat till the last page. Been a Mary Alice Monroe fan ever since..
Jessica Banker
Aug 04, 2011 Jessica Banker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excellent read, and a touching story
Kristi Fleming
Apr 05, 2013 Kristi Fleming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Great story of love for oneself and the ability it gives you to love others. The characters are dynamic. Can't wait to read more of MAM's work.
Elizabeth Hildenstein
Great!

what a charming book. Great characters with nice storyline that shows you don't have to hung up over your looks but rather what's inside that counts most.

Mharj
Dec 23, 2012 Mharj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is very beautiful..
Cindy
Mar 27, 2011 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
I usually love her books, but not this one. A deformed girls has jaw surgery and becomes a movie star. Yeah, right. It was okay.
Leslie
Aug 13, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Extremely different than most of Monroe's work but hard to put this book down. I was a little disappointed that from early on I knew what was to happen, but enjoyable read nonetheless!
Mich
Jun 25, 2010 Mich rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
my least fav of hers so far.. too close to a 'throbbing member' book in my book. eh... a few times i almost just stopped reading it. the book club is STILL her best
Jennifer Fopiano
May 30, 2009 Jennifer Fopiano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: fopi@bellsouth.net
I think this was the best book I've read by this author. Too bad it is not in print anynore...I lost my copy.
Kimberly Bartley
Fantastic story!
Alice
Feb 10, 2010 Alice rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get interested in this book. I stopped reading it.
Edith Bruckner
Edith Bruckner rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2014
Diane Popp
Diane Popp rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Kathy
Kathy rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2011
Jill Morris
Jill Morris rated it it was amazing
Jun 27, 2013
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • Fire Your Boss
  • Perfect Love
  • Your Best Life Now for Moms
  • Abiding Darkness: A Novel (The Black or White Chronicles, #1)
  • Snowed In
  • Bad Moon Rising
  • Dead Girl Dancing (Dead Girl, #2)
  • Borrow Trouble
  • The Cure for Anything Is Salt Water: How I Threw My Life Overboard and Found Happiness at Sea
  • The Silent Rose (Paranormal Series I, #1)
  • Whirlwind (Welcome to Tyler, #1)
  • The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel
  • Promises (Star Wars: Junior Jedi Knights, #3)
  • Reconciliation: Healing the Inner Child
  • Lover's Knot
  • Sleeping Through the Night: How Infants, Toddlers, and Their Parents Can Get a Good Night's Sleep
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
New York Times bestselling author Mary Alice Monroe found her true calling in environmental fiction when she moved to coastal South Carolina. Already a successful author, she was captivated by the beauty and fragility of her new home. Her experiences living in the midst of a habitat that was quickly changing gave her a strong and important focus for her books.

Mary Alice Monroe writes richly textur
More about Mary Alice Monroe...

“the measuring tape and saw Michael standing alone on the small rise. The man seemed a part of the scenery as he stood, hands on hips, his hair whipped by the wind like the meadowsweet at his feet, his jaw set like the granite rocks. “He must love his job,” she said to Bobby. Bobby looked up and followed her gaze to his brother, standing” 0 likes