Start by marking “Came Back To Show You I Could Fly” as Want to Read:
Came Back To Show You I Could Fly

Came Back To Show You I Could Fly

It's the summer holidays and eleven-year-old loner, Seymour, lodged with a fussy guardian in an inner-city suburb, is bored and unhappy in his confined world.

By chance he meets Angie - beautiful, charismatic Angie. He is bewitched, and his world is opened as she takes him on unexpected holiday outings and shopping sprees.

Angie, however, is not what she seems.
Published (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Came Back To Show You I Could Fly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Came Back To Show You I Could Fly

Text Publishing
‘It’s been more than 25 years since Robin Klein’s poignant story of the friendship between lonely, timid 13-year-old Seymour and affectionate, effervescent, but seriously troubled 20-year-old Angie won the CBCA Book of the Year (Older Readers), a Human Rights Award and a White Raven commendation at the Bologna book fair but the novel has, remarkably, retained all its freshness and is surely no less relevant in this era of ice addiction than it was in 1989.’
Adelaide Advertiser

‘This coming-of-age
Eleanor
Mar 23, 2013 Eleanor rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-ya
Read this in high school, saw it in my library (with MEG RYAN on the cover, lol!) and decided to have a trip down memory lane. Slightly awkward YA by todays standards - as the genre didn't exist in the day, it's a strange combo of adult voice, MG protagonist, YA secondary character and preachy message trying not to come across as a preachy message. But at it's heart, it's a very sweet story about an odd pair with nothing in common, connecting with each other over a shared loneliness. Lovingly dr ...more
Brit McCarthy
Robin Klein is an author I remember from my younger years, spending hours between my school's library and the local one. I remember that I read a few of her books, the only problem being that aside from Hating Alison Ashley, I couldn't remember any of the titles of the ones I read and when I look at Klein's list of MG/YA works I'm not sure if the titles seem familiar because I read them or just because I saw them on the shelves a lot. So when I came across (as I do!) Came Back To Show You I Coul ...more
Nicole
Aug 08, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I read this book at school and feel in love with the characters.
The relationship between Angie and Seymour is so bitter sweet and he is completely devoted to her. When I realised that Angie is on a downward spiral and Seymour can't quite understand what is going on my heart broke for Seymour.

Bianca
Aug 04, 2011 Bianca rated it really liked it
This is a powerful book for young readers. It definitely made an impression on me that I remember more than 15 years later.
Diem
Feb 03, 2017 Diem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
Review to come on podcast.
Sharah McConville
I read this when I was in my early teens but don't think I totally understood what it was about. Just read it again 20 years later and absolutely loved it.
Amanda
Came Back to Show You I Could Fly by Robin Klein is an iconic Australian classic. But, as I mentioned in my review of the Melling sister series, it's a book I missed out on reading as a child. I am thrilled that Text Publishing have released this beautiful new edition so that I could finally read this story.

Eleven year old Seymour Kerley has been sent to stay with a friend of the family, while his parents separate. It's the school holidays and there are plenty of things he'd rather be doing, b
Carlyn Brody
Jan 21, 2016 Carlyn Brody rated it it was amazing
Came back to show you I could fly by Robin Klein is a classic Australian children’s book. It won the best children’s book for older readers on The Children’s Book Council of Australia in 1991 and has been a part of the English curriculum in Australian schools. Robin Klein is an Australian author who had written many children’s books including Hating Alison Ashley and Halfway Across the Galaxy and Turn Left.

The protagonist in this book is ten year old Seymour. Seymour’s parents have recently sep
André
Dec 31, 2007 André rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is quite simply the worst book I have ever read. It is worse than Gavin Menzies' pseudo-historical 1421 trollop. It is worse than anything in the paperback romance section of your local bookshop. It is somehow even worse than that overhyped, meritless Harry Potter drivel. You really do have to wonder how absolute rubbish like this actually manages to get published. Is there someone so idiotic that they think this will play well with children and teenagers?

Well, let's just say it doesn't pla
Banafsheh Serov
Oct 01, 2009 Banafsheh Serov rated it liked it
I first read this book as a teenager. It was the summer holidays and feeling bored and hot I picked this book up for lack of something better to do. Fifteen years later when it was chosen for our bookclub, I had only a vague memory of the plot. It has become a habit with our little group to choose youth fiction. Maybe its the ability of YA to probe into dark and serious topics with eloquent subtlety that often make them a favourite with our small group.

Shy, reserved 11-year-old Seymour is dumped
Tara Calaby
Re-read

I remember this being one of my less-liked Robin Klein books when I read them all as a kid, most likely because I read them in mid to late primary and I think this one would have felt a bit irrelevant to my own life. Actually I probably read this one in grade five, as that was when it was first released. Regardless, drugs weren't really a thing I'd encountered much in fiction and at all IRL.

I think it's important to consider the fact that this book was published in the 1980s when thinkin
Lydia
Oct 12, 2015 Lydia rated it liked it
I was trying to think of the author of this book the other day and I saw it in my school's library!

So glad. I've been wanting to review this book. I really liked this book when I read it in high school. I thought it was a pretty important book. It discussed drug use (without explicit examples, only references) in an age-appropriate way. I was a little bit older than I needed to be to read it, so I didn't enjoy it as much, but I thought it was really accessible.

I liked the characters, I liked t
Tara
Apr 15, 2009 Tara rated it really liked it
I remember reading this book over and over again at one point. Mostly because the girl on the cover reminded me of Meg Ryan and I loved her 'Carmen Miranda'.
An endearing tale of a messed up young woman who befriends a dorky young boy. Seymour is being hidden with his mother's friend while his parents get divorced. His mother is afraid his father will take him away, and the the overly fussy spinster that is taking care of him forbids him to leave the house.
School holidays, and bored young Seymour
Marita
Jan 05, 2015 Marita rated it really liked it
This is a classic Australian ya that I had never read, although it will be 25 yeas old in 2015. Robyn Klein does not dissappoint. The friendship of a lonely young boy with family troubles and a young woman with a drug problem makes for a poignant story told in an unreliable narrative voice, as the boy tells the story. Very controversial at the time of publication, it remains realistic in an emotional sense, although much softer than it might be, and not controversial at all for ya in my opinion. ...more
Vorbis
Jun 02, 2013 Vorbis rated it liked it
I imagine this work was ground-breaking in its day, and it's still well written. Through the eyes of a young boy, entranced with an older 'cool' girl struggling with drug addiction and the lies and betrayal of trust that goes with it.

Tried to read it when I was a lot younger and couldn't get into it at all. Read it now and turned out I'd missed the boat on when it could have been influential to me. Never mind.
Lexie
Oct 09, 2015 Lexie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
I had to read this book and do school stuff on it. Look it wasn't a terrible book, it had a good message and is even written really well, it was just really kinda boring. The chapters were so long and dragging, I think there were only like, 12 chapters in the whole book, and it was really slow and thin. Definitely not the sort of book I'd pick up on my own, but it was assigned by my english teacher. Like I said, it wasn't horrible, but it's far from great too, I don't recommend it.
tee
I wasn't allowed to read this one as a kid but continued to borrow it from the school library anyway. Mum decided I couldn't be trusted to return it, so she'd march back with it and return it herself. Then I'd borrow it again and read it all in one gulp before she could confiscate it. I don't remember exactly what about it was so offensive to my mum (she was super uptight about adult themes in books and had fits over the tamest of things) so I'm looking forward to rereading it and remembering.
Heather Browning
Feb 28, 2016 Heather Browning rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
I thought this was so powerful when I read it as a kid - the story of a young, shy boy and the vibrant, beautiful drug-addict who befriends him. In parts it now seems a little ham-fisted, the 'drugs are bad' vibe of the 1980s showing strongly through. Perhaps we're a bit more cynical about it all now. Still, in terms of looking at how these things can change people and families, this is a strong story.
Librariasaurus
Aug 28, 2013 Librariasaurus rated it really liked it
I'm sitting in class and realising I've read one of the books my lecturer is talking about! Finally I have read one of them!!!
I remember reading this book in high school if I'm thinking straight, otherwise it was one of those books that I picked up in the school library not knowing anything about it and loved it to bits.
Apart from remembering that I loved the book I can't remember much else about it, perhaps I'll read it again!
 Soph - Lock&Key
Was going to read this boom for my english class but then I picked up another book, I saw this book a while a go and read it.

Themes flowed through this book, the writing was easy to understand and it had some ineresting characters, come back to show you I can fly is a good read about finding yourself and helping others.
Liz
Apr 05, 2009 Liz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: thirteen and over
Shelves: ya, 2009
I had been trying to get my hands on this book since forever, and only succeeded last year. I read it, and I wasn't disappointed. This is the best Robin Klein book ever. Loved the ending. Well-written from the perspective of a child who doesn't understand everything, but whose heart understands a whole lot. I was so touched that Angie didn't forget Seymour at the end.
Lisa Birch
May 23, 2016 Lisa Birch rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-i-have-read
I read this as a child, and then reread as an adult. Angie's addiction and illness skipped over me during my first read, I honestly thought she was just immature and thoughtless (as many characters in kid lit tend to be!). As an adult, the book had much more to offer, and I really enjoyed watching Seymour grow in strength and character. Robin was such a brilliant author. I loved her stories.
Emma Donaghy
May 13, 2015 Emma Donaghy rated it liked it
I remember reading this one in high school. I loved both of the main characters because they were so real! These were people you could run into on the street. I particularly loved the friendship between Seymour and Angie and how by the end of the book their roles appeared to have reversed. This was a sweet and touching story about a friendship that could happen to anyone.
Chloe Demetriou
Mar 10, 2015 Chloe Demetriou rated it did not like it
I had to read this book for English at school, but this is without a doubt the worst book I've read. I didn't enjoy it at all, I think it was very predictable and typical. I know this book is quite old and was written in the 80's but now days this genre and storyline just isn't cutting it. It's defiantly not my type of book either.

Sorry Robin Klein.
Angela Herd
Jan 27, 2013 Angela Herd rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute FAVOURITE stories as a young adult. I must have read it over 7 times, and I wish i could read it for the first time over again. I loved this book with all my heart. I have loved all the books I have read by this author, Robin Klein, but this one holds a special truth and place in my heart.
Gen
Jan 27, 2015 Gen rated it liked it
Read this book in about year 8. It was alright but I found the idea of the friendship between a kid and an adult junkie both a little weird and a little heartbreaking. This poor sheltered kid got one hell of an introduction to the real world but in some ways also acted as a bit of a moral compass for the junkie.
Melissa Morris
Oct 15, 2014 Melissa Morris rated it liked it
I bought this book second hand from a train station before my short trip. I actually quite enjoyed it but I thought it was a bit strange, probably because I can't relate to taking my children to a friend's house to hangout and be bored for the school holidays.
Mar 03, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
It was an ok book. The only reason I read it was because I had to read it for school. Not something I would usually choose to read. I thought it was predictable but not in the good way. I may read it again when I'm older and I might actually enjoy it because I'm not being forced to read it
Melissa Burtt
Dec 10, 2013 Melissa Burtt rated it really liked it
I listened to this audiobook with the kids on the way to and from school. We all enjoyed the story. I never read this as a kid.
  • Taronga
  • Forget me not: The Story of One Family's Voyage on the Titanic
  • My Sister Sif
  • When We Were Two
  • Chain of Hearts
  • Misery Guts
  • Legend (Lockie Leonard, #3)
  • Just a Dog
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Uncanny! (Uncollected)
  • Pigs Might Fly
  • Second Best (Sweet Valley Twins, #16)
  • Seven Little Australians (Woolcots, #1)
  • Nanberry: Black Brother White
  • Nukkin Ya
  • The Lake at the End of the World
  • In Ecstasy
205124
Winner of the Dromkeen Medal (1991).
More about Robin Klein...