Start by marking “The Wardrobe Wakeup: Your Guide to Looking Fabulous at Any Age” as Want to Read:
The Wardrobe Wakeup: Your Guide to Looking Fabulous at Any Age

The Wardrobe Wakeup: Your Guide to Looking Fabulous at Any Age

3.35  ·  Rating Details  ·  158 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews

In a fashion world that constantly speaks to youth, "The Wardrobe Wakeup, " is an essential look book for every woman 40+. Leading fashion and beauty editor Lois Joy Johnson shares style-boosting, closet reviving, money-saving fashion tricks she's learned over thirty years working with A-list models, celebrities, and real women.
"The Wardrobe Wakeup" is packed with solution
Published December 25th 2012 by Running Press Book Publishers (first published December 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wardrobe Wakeup, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wardrobe Wakeup

Elizabeth
Didn't love it. For one thing, I checked this out from my library and I wasn't really paying attention - when I read "at any age" I assumed we were talking about timeless classic wardrobes and styling tips. Not so. This is for the 40 and above set - which is fine, but let's call it what it is. I also feel like they spent so much time on format that there is actually precious little information that would help the average woman. It's mostly women with overinflated egos and pocketbooks talking abo ...more
Ellison
Feb 12, 2013 Ellison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent primer for women "of a certain age" and in this case that means over 50. Johnson has a suitcase full of ideas for dressing age-appropriate while still looking chic and she unpacks all of them. My favorites were tips on dressing in the same color from top to bottom; layering your top half with ankle pants; and her tips on underwear, leggings and shoes. She also targets women getting back into the work force, addressing questions of how to dress when you're the oldest person in the ro ...more
Mckinley
Oct 15, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Helpful. Good tips. Nice layout.
Same clothes- Edit wardrobe, wear (only) 1 color, wear navy with black, elongate neck (show collar bone) and legs, (re)tailor for fit, thinnest to thickest layering, relax the look, wear 1/2-1" thin belts, mix prints, wear ironically
Spending - print dresses, low cost piece with expensive accessory, ruching/shirring/draping, red, cheap white t-shirts and camis, a few trendy pieces, wear shapewear, consignment, get the size that fits; rent a dress or bag, sell what
Lisa A. Carlson
Mar 14, 2013 Lisa A. Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
I mean honestly if you don't fall in love with this book; you are missing the point. It's so wonderful especially if you are woman in transition. It doesn't insult but encourages us how to live with the clothes we love, reinvent the ones we are maybe discouraged with and asks us to regularly take stock of how we look which should never be work but should reinforce style and class. The pictures of the women here are stunning and I didn't know most of them. The intro is done by Cheryl Tiegs, a nat ...more
Michelle
Apr 11, 2014 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fashion
This is a fantastic book, full of timely advice for anyone looking to get or keep a modern, fashionable look. It offers frank advice from an experienced author and many other contributors who are headlining names in worldwide fashion. The layout of the book is pleasing, with great photos that show there is lots of room between teen-queen and matronly.

One of my favorite things about this book is that it doesn't pigeonhole women into categories (how many fashion books give you a quiz in Chapter 1
Tina
Apr 19, 2016 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adulting
The best guide to wardrobe I've read in a long time! Practical and wise advise galore. Lots of great pictures of down to earth fashions. Good for younger women too!
Thomasin
Jun 20, 2014 Thomasin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not a fashionista, so perhaps this was just not my thing, but whenever a book starts out describing how I can find good purses at "any price," whether it's the $2k range, the $300 range, or the $50 purse from Target, I know I'm not the ideal reader. Who pays $50 for a purse? Crazy people, that's who.

That said, dressing as a grown women vs. a 20-something is something I'm feeling the need to transition into, and this book does offer some advice I can take to heart. I'll be cleaning out a few
Carol Feldman
Mar 15, 2015 Carol Feldman rated it really liked it
Stuff I should have known but didn't. :-(
Apryl Anderson
"Fabulous at Any Age" yet, primarily for those who want to disguise their age--not deny their age, mind you, but to gracefully flow into the next age. I appreciate that there is a market for this, and by all rights, this includes me, yet I did not appreciate the condescending tone of "I know what looks great on me. Don't worry, you'll catch up." The photography is excellent, but how many photos of Johnson looking radiant do we need? I didn't not feel enthusiastic about fashion after reading this ...more
Duckpondwithoutducks
Even though the cover says that the book is a guide to looking fabulous at any age, it is actually for those who are over 40. I felt that the text could have benefited from better organization, because it seemed a bit all over the place, and repetitive in places. Also, all of the pictures were of women who were quite slender, without what most of us would consider figure flaws. It would have been nice to have had pictures of women of different shapes and sizes.
Debora H
Feb 24, 2016 Debora H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ms. Johnson does an excellent job in outlining wardrobe malfunctions that can plague the female closet and the solutions. Although I did not find too many bad ideas in my closet, I did learn ways to freshen and update what I have. This book is an excellent resource.
Connie D
Nice format and suggestions. I liked the way it focused on issues for women middle-aged and older. However, this book would be much more useful for someone living in a more fashion-conscious part of the world and/or a different lifestyle from mine.
Lisa Scovill
Jun 17, 2013 Lisa Scovill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm in my early fiftys and have just lost a significant amount of weight. I had gone through my closet and realized that this was my chance to really learn to look pulled together. This book was just what I needed to start looking at clothes critically in terms of how they work together and how to put together a more polished look. The ensembles in the book lean to a more urban, New Yorkish style than I would maybe wear all the time, but there's definitely much to learn here. What was missing wa ...more
Susan
Jun 19, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Got lots of up to the minute ideas for updating my wardrobe, both casual and work related.
Erin C. Healy
Nov 03, 2013 Erin C. Healy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am a jeans and T-shirt gal, but I knew as I aged and advanced at work I needed to do something to perk up my appearance. I LOVED this book. It was simple, easy to read, laid out in quick segments, all of which made me want to read about a subject I care little about. By the second chapter, I was starting to care a whole lot more. I began applying Lois' principles and already I look more professional and feel more confident at work. She is definitely a good friend in book form, steering you awa ...more
Celia Juliano
Wardrobe Wakeup claims to be for any age, but even at 41, I felt like this book was aimed toward the generation above mine. Johnson makes repeated references to women 40+, but most of these references didn't feel relevant to me. Still, the book offers some good tips on updating your wardrobe for women over 40, as well as reminders about good basics to have. I liked the format and photographs too.
Amy
Sep 13, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: resource
It doesn't state it on the cover, but definitely for the 40+ woman.
Nancy
Nov 29, 2014 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had good ideas, but the items she suggested were way to expensive for the average woman. I think $26 for one pair of underwear would be very costly.
Melissa M. D'Andrea
Mar 26, 2014 Melissa M. D'Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, kindle
Not ready to dress like I'm older!
V
Jan 14, 2016 V rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A decent book with some good tips.
Manintheboat
Jan 27, 2014 Manintheboat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
"Any age" meant over 50 and "Looking Fabulous" meant as long as you are wearing black or leopard print.
Kerry
Apr 28, 2013 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lifestyle
I have a lot of nice stuff and now I know why some of it wasn't really working for me. SIGH. I am 40, but felt a but like this author was writing for people older than me. A lot of the advice is pretty accurate I would say except it seems odd that the recommended pant for a pear or hourglass shape is an ankle length trouser. I've always believed that we need bootcut or wider leg pants with heels. Anyway, this was one of the better entries in my 5 book read a thon.
Andd Becker
Feb 28, 2013 Andd Becker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WONDERFUL fashion-ideas book for the ageless over-40 crowd. Fifty-plus and sixty-plus ladies will find something useful.
The emphasis is on glamour and comfort. Wear age-appropriate clothing that looks fabulous!
How to do it? SO many suggestions. Wear one color top to toe. Master the art of layering. Wear a tank under a tailored jacket.
Arrange closet-clothing by color. Put like items together.
Update your wardrobe without trying to look young. Elegance will emerge.
Nancy
Another quick read/skim book about fashion - this one aimed to women over 40. Some good tips, though nothing I didn't already know. Perhaps I do need to look into "shape wear." I do know that I need to go through my closet and weed out the things I will never wear again, either because they are too young, too short, too small or ....Having just read two books about fashion, I think I'm good for a while.
Bea
Oct 31, 2013 Bea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great clothing ideas for women over a 'certain age'. I liked her idea of grouping everything in the closet by color, which would certainly simplify what to wear. Also listed were many websites and what stores had specific great products (tee shirts here, leggings there etc..)
Tracy
May 02, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a realistic look at fashion for those of us over 40. I've never been one to really care about fashion but have been trying to look less frumpy and more put together as I age. This has some good advice and I loved that the models are real women who are over 40.
Amber Polo
A lot of repetition and the assumption that the reader has a closet full of designer clothes and money for more. And that all women over forty are tall and thin. Needs photos to illustrate some instructions fashion business types need.
Brenda
Dec 05, 2013 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-book, e-books
I read this e-book for some fresh ideas and because I could get the book from my public library. I did gather a few new ideas and I hope to better my closet. Most of the advice was geared for the 30 year old to early 50 year old.
Barbara
Apr 24, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a great review of style and gave me some very practical tips. It is always good to review the fashion world as we age; we don't want to be known for poor fashion sense
Marcy Graybill
I usually like these kinds of books. Nothing really new, just a reminder of what is appropriate and stylish and how those of us who are over 40 should be dressing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Style Clinic: How to Look Fabulous All the Time, at Any Age, for Any Occasion
  • Marilyn in Fashion: The Enduring Influence of Marilyn Monroe
  • The Truth About Style
  • Inventing the Rest of Our Lives: Women in Second Adulthood
  • What I Wore: Four Seasons, One Closet, Endless Recipes for Personal Style
  • The South Beach Diet Gluten Solution: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Gluten-Aware Plan for Losing Weight and Feeling Great--FAST!
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • SEAL Survival Guide: A Navy SEAL's Secrets to Surviving Any Disaster
  • The Power of Style: Everything You Need to Know Before You Get Dressed Tomorrow
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • Quirkyalone: A Manifesto for Uncompromising Romantics
  • Fashion: The Definitive History of Costume and Style
  • What Not to Wear
  • Rules, Britannia: An Insider's Guide to Life in the United Kingdom
  • Cockeyed: A Memoir of Blindness
  • Confessions of a Fairy's Daughter: Growing Up with a Gay Dad
  • Denyse Schmidt: Modern Quilts, Traditional Inspiration: 20 New Designs with Historic Roots
  • Un-Jobbing : The Adult Liberation Handbook (Second Edition)