Brilliant Hues

Brilliant Hues

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  9 reviews
When twelve-year-old Sadie has to move away from her home in California, she stumbles into questions of faith, doubt, and wrestling with the answers.
Published September 1st 2012 by Zonderkidz

Lori Twichell
As the most recent installment in this Sadie’s Sketchbook series, this story felt a little more heavy handed than previous books. This time, the drama surrounding Sadie was high level angst. Life threatening situations, death all around her, and big changes amongst her friends made it feel like there was less for Sadie to count on and far more for her to juggle.

Still, I love the characters and the story. I love seeing how Sadie has grown and changed over these four books. Her character has matur...more
Emmalee Miller
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads. I did enjoy this book, I would have liked it a bit more without the religious aspect, but that's just me. It is well written, has a good plot line, and has a really good message. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to buy a book for a young Christian friend and/or relative. This is the 4th book in the series that follows Sadie who has moved back to her hometown after a year away. She feels left out by her friends who have changed since sh...more
Sharon
Apr 27, 2013 Sharon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: preteen girls
Sometimes it is good to read a book for the sake of nostalgia. This happens to fall into that category. It brought back memories of receiving "Sweet Valley Twins" books from the scholastic reader when I was a preteen girl.

This was a good positive story. I think girls need role models who are strong but can admit they need help when it really counts and it is OK to ask for it. I even read a few chapters out loud to my six year old who loves books and is getting into the girly stuff.

*This book was...more
Mindy
I received this book for free as part of Goodreads' First Reads. This was a very cute tween girl's book. I loved the fact that this book answered some big questions which every person faces. This is great since at this age, girls are already going through a lot. I really like the main character, Sadie. She seems so down to earth and confident. She also will admit when she doesn't know something, which is something that everyone needs to admit every now and then. I am going to pass this book on t...more
Cathy Smith
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. It was a very well written story, and continuation of the journey of Sadie. The situations were very real and any young person would have such doubts. But her faith pulls her through with the help of good friends. I really liked her confronting her problems head on in the end. She is very mature for her age. The series must be a good one, because I enjoyed this book greatly, and would recommend it to any and all who wants to read this.
Chelsey
This is a Goodreads Giveaway.

Naomi Kinsman's Brilliant Hues is a quick read. The book is quite interesting, although somewhat predictable. It's definitely not a genre (inspirational fiction for middle readers) that I normally delve into. The points on believing in a religion and learning to confront adversaries, both physical and nonphysical are valid points for a young reader to have examples of.

Recommended for young readers. Especially girls.
Ricki Thompson
Where will Sadie find the courage to stand up to her bullying friends? Where will she find the strength to confront her dad's bullying adversary? Will it prove impossible - to be be accepted AND do the right thing? I like how this story struggles with moral and spiritual dilemmas in an honest, straightforward way. I appreciated being reminded that, no matter our struggles, we are not alone.
Tashia
I found this to be a very delightful read. This is a story that can be inspiring to many of today's teens. The only negative is that the ending was a bit vague, otherwise the overall story and concept was very good.
Sue Poduska
Sadie Douglas is dealing with a lot of events, most of them beyond her control. How she reacts to those events are important factors in her growth and development.
Laney Garland
Elise
My daughter and I enjoyed the mystery and how overall the book was written, and all the adventures she has.
Kendrank
Kendrank marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Tallulah A. Scribbles
Tallulah A. Scribbles marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Raghdan fawakhiri
Raghdan fawakhiri marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2013
Jaclyn Ann
Jaclyn Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2013
Amelia Drew
Amelia Drew marked it as to-read
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
E.
E. marked it as to-read
Chanin Malley
Chanin Malley marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What makes a book Christian? 1 4 Nov 25, 2012 12:09PM
Naomi Kinsman is the author of Spilled Ink (winner of the 2009 Moonbeam Gold Medal for Educational/Activity book) as well as the From Sadie’s Sketchbook series (Zondervan). She has written and directed over 50 plays for young audiences, and has written for Highlights, Spider and Devozine magazines.

As founder of the Society of Young Inklings, Naomi shares her passion for writing and creativity with...more
More about Naomi Kinsman...
Shades of Truth Flickering Hope Waves of Light Luconeth Shades of Truth