The Entire Original Maupassant Short Stories

The Entire Original Maupassant Short Stories

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  250 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"I entered literary life as a meteor, and I shall leave it like a thunderbolt." These words of Maupassant to Jose Maria de Heredia on the occasion of a memorable meeting are, in spite of their morbid solemnity, not an inexact summing up of the brief career during which, for ten years, the writer, by turns undaunted and sorrowful, with the fertility of a master hand produce...more
Published August 2nd 2007 by Nuvision Publications (first published January 1st 1927)

Susan Kraus
Endles stories of seduction, and betrayal. Women are unfathomable playthings. I realize that he was writing about the culture and social set he was involved in, but it was all too much for me. He died of syphilis - I understand why.
Tanya Morrison
Perfection of the short story. His ability to note what was going on around him is supreme. I realize that for an observant author every big or small event that occurs lends itself to the compactness of a story with a moral, a laugh, a comment, an unexpected outcome. Learning to guess the game of where a story is going is great fun with a master like Guy de Maupassant. Nothing more relaxing than a volume of best short stories.
TheCustomer
Chilling, funny, poignant tales from Maupassant's experiences in the Prussian War, Paris and Étretat are distilled into easy, flowing, but insightful prose. Line after elegant line will leave you shaking your head in wonder at how he managed to write so much, so well, in such a short life.
He is, in my opinion, the greatest prose writer and I re-read this book every year.

Credit must be given to Albert McMaster's lucid and idiomatic translation, turning a masterpiece of French literature into a ma...more
Mally
Absolutely loved it. Paul's Mistress is probably among my favorite short stories, Maupassant is really an amazing writer. I wish I could read them in French!
Franz
I love de Maupassant's stories: fun, insightful, a little naughty. One of my perennial favorites.
Dora's book group selection January 2010.
Deb
Deb added it
Jul 23, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Polet
Polet is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Cindy Hui
Cindy Hui marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Gianelle
Gianelle marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • Notes from Underground, The Double and Other Stories (B&N Classics)
  • গল্পগুচ্ছ
  • Sarrasine
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Sylvie
  • Cures for Love
  • My Fantoms
  • The Turn of the Screw, The Aspern Papers and Two Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
  • The Open Window
  • The Lemoine Affair
  • The Complete Stories of Robert Louis Stevenson: Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Nineteen Other Tales (Modern Library Classics)
  • Journey Around My Room and a Nocturnal Expedition Around My Room (Hesperus Classics)
  • Tomorrow's Children: 18 Tales Of Fantasy And Science Fiction
  • The Cardboard House
  • Bliss & Other Stories
  • A Schoolboy's Diary and Other Stories
  • The Renaissance: Studies in Art and Poetry
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...
Bel-Ami The Necklace and Other Short Stories Une vie Le Horla et autres nouvelles fantastiques Boule de Suif (21 contes)

“Any government has as much of a duty to avoid war as a ship's captain has to avoid a shipwreck."

[On Water]”
8 likes
“Since governments take the right of death over their people, it is not astonishing if the people should sometimes take the right of death over governments."

[On Water]”