Start by marking “Conversations with My Sons and Daughters” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Conversations with My ...

Mamphela Ramphele

Conversations with My Sons and Daughters

Where did we lose our idealism and why and at what cost?' In these conversations with people of a younger generation Mamphela Ramphele responds to the growing despair among young South Africans about the cracks that are appearing in our system of governance and threatening the idealism of the country that reinvented itself with the dawn of democracy in 1994. She shows inci ...more
ebook
Published October 1st 2012 by Sa Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Conversations with My Sons and Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conversations with My Sons and Daughters

Rian
Feb 10, 2013 Rian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope - desperately, passionately - that Mma Ramphele reaches her target audience with this brave and bold conversation. She tells a compelling story of what is needed - attitudes, approaches, and inner values - to counter the darkness that is encroaching on public life in South Africa.

If every up-and-coming young person entering public service, business and politics in South Africa would take her words to heart, I see a new and brightly shining light emerging from the swamp of public misadmin
Hester Hoff
I loved the book ! Mamphela has a fundamentally and refreshingly honest view on S A Politics but she not only criticizes the status quo, but offers alternate solutions. I highly recommend this book to be read by ALL South Africans.
Niel Knoblauch
Aug 20, 2013 Niel Knoblauch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very accurate in pinpointing the state if South Africa today, and very inspirational in terms of the way forward. Very good work...
Siyamthanda Skota
The book starts with this Sepedi idiom: 'Mabu a u tswitswe' (The soil has been stolen), which simply means something is terribly wrong with the current state of affairs in our country. These words are uttered by a young man during his conversation with Dr Ramphele. The young man seems overwhelmed by frustrations and anguish. He is facing the dilemma of speaking out against corruption at his workplace and jeopardising his great career prospects, or shutting up and focuing on reaching the upper ec ...more
Renate
Jan 07, 2013 Renate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Renate by: Agnes
A South African friend gave me this book, saying it gave her hope. At first I was a bit puzzled as to the source of my friend's hope as the most of this book describes what is wrong with the country and who is to blame. It is only in the last few chapters that a slither of hope emerges when she gives some constructive suggestions and examples on how things can be fixed.

This book is not easy to read as the style of writing is that of someone more accustomed to writing official or academic documen
Noélle
Mission aborted. I got just over halfway through this book, but it is simply a difficult read. It is the old respectable person telling the younger ones how to enact a revolution they weren't able to. I respect Ramphele. I know she has done a lot in terms of social justice. But this book is hard to swallow after Agang.
Tebo Mnguni
Oct 18, 2016 Tebo Mnguni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly documents how inspirational this woman is, she served at all this major organizations and considering that it was back in those days were females were not only scares in varsity but in the work force.
Phumlani
Oct 20, 2013 Phumlani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thinker,a visionary,an intellect. This Lady deserves a platform to air her views and is possibly S.A's most under appreciated treasures.In this age of populists and promise makers,people need a voice of reason like this one.
Smangele Belebesi
A very precise account of what is wrong with the current administration ( leaves Zuma no place to hide) but also a lot of empowerment for the "youth" in just making them\ us realise what role we can play to change the situation
Betty
Jan 13, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-african
This is not an easy read but is one of importance to South Africans of all ages - but particularly to the younger generation who will shape our future.
Margaret Crampton
I see this as a significant comment on South Africa today by one of South Africa's great leaders. I am still reading it and it is a good read
David Bonbright
Feb 12, 2013 David Bonbright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the sanest vision and call to action imaginable. Dr Ramphele has shown the way. South Africa, you are on notice!
Marilyn Peters
Marilyn Peters rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2012
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2014
Deepassassin Sa
Deepassassin Sa rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Oku Dotwana
Oku Dotwana rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Zanele Ngwenya
Zanele Ngwenya rated it it was ok
Nov 21, 2013
Jolene Wium
Jolene Wium rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2013
Siya Nxumalo
Siya Nxumalo rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2013
Alexandra Maree
Alexandra Maree rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Jennifer Hamilton
Jennifer Hamilton rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Imani Cheers
Imani Cheers rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2015
James
Feb 18, 2013 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A valuable read for any South African.
Gilynne Wastie
Very interesting
Luisa
Luisa rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Sherly Molapo
Sherly Molapo rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2014
Nthabiseng Boshomane
Nthabiseng Boshomane rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2013
Annie
Annie rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mamphela Ramphele is a leading South African academic, businesswoman, medical doctor and former anti-apartheid activist. She is a trustee of the Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko Foundations and Founder of the Citizens Movement.

She is the current leader of Agang, a developing political party.
More about Mamphela Ramphele...