Blank-133x176
Conversations with My ...

Mamphela Ramphele

Conversations with My Sons and Daughters

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Where did we lose our idealism and why and at what cost?' In these conversations with people of a younger generation Mamphela Ramphele responds to the growing despair among young South Africans about the cracks that are appearing in our system of governance and threatening the idealism of the country that reinvented itself with the dawn of democracy in 1994. She shows inci...more
ebook
Published October 1st 2012 by Sa Penguin

To ask other readers questions about Conversations with My Sons and Daughters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conversations with My Sons and Daughters

Rian
I hope - desperately, passionately - that Mma Ramphele reaches her target audience with this brave and bold conversation. She tells a compelling story of what is needed - attitudes, approaches, and inner values - to counter the darkness that is encroaching on public life in South Africa.

If every up-and-coming young person entering public service, business and politics in South Africa would take her words to heart, I see a new and brightly shining light emerging from the swamp of public misadmin...more
Hester Hoff
I loved the book ! Mamphela has a fundamentally and refreshingly honest view on S A Politics but she not only criticizes the status quo, but offers alternate solutions. I highly recommend this book to be read by ALL South Africans.
Niel Knoblauch
Very accurate in pinpointing the state if South Africa today, and very inspirational in terms of the way forward. Very good work...
Renate
Sep 29, 2013 Renate rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Renate by: Agnes
A South African friend gave me this book, saying it gave her hope. At first I was a bit puzzled as to the source of my friend's hope as the majority of this book describes what is wrong with the country and who is to blame. It is only in the last few chapters that a slither of hope emerges when she gives some constructive suggestions and examples on how things can be fixed.

This book is not easy to read as the style of writing is that of someone more accustomed to writing official or academic doc...more
Phumlani
A thinker,a visionary,an intellect. This Lady deserves a platform to air her views and is possibly S.A's most under appreciated treasures.In this age of populists and promise makers,people need a voice of reason like this one.
Smangele Belebesi
A very precise account of what is wrong with the current administration ( leaves Zuma no place to hide) but also a lot of empowerment for the "youth" in just making them\ us realise what role we can play to change the situation
Betty
This is not an easy read but is one of importance to South Africans of all ages - but particularly to the younger generation who will shape our future.
Margaret Crampton
I see this as a significant comment on South Africa today by one of South Africa's great leaders. I am still reading it and it is a good read
David Bonbright
This is the sanest vision and call to action imaginable. Dr Ramphele has shown the way. South Africa, you are on notice!
Louise Brummer
So DISAPPOINTING!! second book never finished dont know what she is on about?????????
James
A valuable read for any South African.
Lorna
An interesting read.
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Blessed Mapako
Blessed Mapako marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Matshepo Nyambi
Matshepo Nyambi marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Rethabile
Rethabile marked it as to-read
27733797921 marked it as to-read
Penelope Msani
Penelope Msani marked it as to-read
Austin Maumela
Austin Maumela marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Mlungisi
Mlungisi is currently reading it
Sep 03, 2014
Gugu
Gugu marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Mamphela Ramphele is a leading South African academic, businesswoman, medical doctor and former anti-apartheid activist. She is a trustee of the Nelson Mandela and Steve Biko Foundations and Founder of the Citizens Movement.

She is the current leader of Agang, a developing political party.
More about Mamphela Ramphele...
Across Boundaries: The Journey of a South African Woman Leader Laying Ghosts to Rest: Dilemmas of the Transformation in South Africa Mamphela Ramphele: A Life Steering by the Stars: Being Young in South Africa A Passion For Freedom