Start by marking “Earth, Air, Fire and Custard” as Want to Read:
Earth, Air, Fire and Custard

Earth, Air, Fire and Custard (J. W. Wells & Co. #3)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  1,184 ratings  ·  50 reviews
J.W. Wells seemed to be a respectable establishment, but the company now paying Paul Carpenter’s salary is, in fact, a deeply sinister organization with a mighty peculiar management team. Paul thought he was getting the hang of it—particularly when he fell head over heels for his strangely alluring colleague, Sophie—but death is never far away when you work at J.W. Wells. ...more
Published January 1st 2006 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published February 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Earth, Air, Fire and Custard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth, Air, Fire and Custard

Liza H
Compared to the first two books,this book felt like a bit of a hot mess. There was way too much of a add-as-you-go plotline... seriously like the author was just making it up as he went along, and had to keep stopping in order for some character to take up 2-3 pages of text to explain what was going on. Not fun. I just barely finished it -- it was one of the rare times that I was annoyed enough that I almost just quit reading it.
Eve
This is the further adventures of Paul Carpenter the hapless hero from both The Portable Door and In Your Dreams. While the first two books were (more or less) kind of straight forward adventures, this one is more nuts. And I say that as a fan of comedy fantasy...I suspect Tom Holt smoked a lot of joints and drank a lot of gin. The plot moves around so fast its hard to keep up.

Who are the bad guys? What's the deal with the fae? If Paul Carpenter is so desperate for love, why doesn't he just join
Caleb
This review is going to sort of cover the previous two books in the series as well -- The Portable Door and In Your Dreams. The main idea of this series is pretty funny -- my summary is, "take Harry Potter and turn it into The Office". Boring bloke gets a sucky job at a corporation that, turns out, is actually all about magic. Hijinks ensue. What more could you want?

Well, it could have been a little better. More Office Space and less The Office would have been nice. The main character's horrible
Trayana
Мислите, че имате лош късмет? Не бих казала. Представете си пълния неудачник – вземете нескопосания колега, който винаги има проблеми с компютъра си, прибавете спънатия съсед с уши като сателитни чинии, добавете влюбчивия ви съученик от гимназията с лабрадорски поглед. Представихте ли си го? А сега го умножете по три и ще получите бледо подобие на Пол Карпентър – героят на нашата история.

Старата и уважавана фирма J.W. Wells може да ви предложи всичко – от летящи килимчета до планирани икономичес
Sian
Jun 22, 2008 Sian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes adventure that moves quickly and is slightly crazy
Recommended to Sian by: My Father:>{
Traummachine
This third installment at the evil firm of J.W. Wells & Co. introduces a new partner in the firm who seems to like Paul and wants to help him, and Paul doesn't trust that in the slightest. As usual, Paul trusts himself even less, is his own worst enemy, and has to muddle through unraveling the evil schemes of upper management.

Like Paul, I was completely confused for the first half of the book. I'd just started to get frustrated by it when the tumblers started falling into place. Earth, Air,
Marta
W konkursie na najdziwniejszy tytuł powieść „Ziemia, powietrze, ogień i… budyń” z pewnością zajęłaby wysoką lokatę, a może nawet otarła się o zwycięstwo. Cudownie absurdalny i intrygujący, jest równocześnie zwodniczym, bowiem Tomowi Holtowi nie wystarczyło kreatywności na wypełnienie pozostałych stron w sposób równie błyskotliwy i zabawny.

Główny bohater, Paul Carpenter, od dziewięciu miesięcy jest zatrudniony w firmie J.W. Wells & Co, specjalizującej się w świadczeniu magicznych usług. Paul,
Richard
Jan 07, 2008 Richard rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Terry Pratchett in search of something a little bit weirder
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
I've *finally* finished a book! Its taken me months to read this novel, but I've made it to the end...

But don't take the fact that its taken me so long as a critique on the book itself. The reality is that my life has been taken over by becoming a Dad to an adorable little girl. She's taken far more of my time than books have! The fact that I persisted in fact should show that its worthwhile keeping going with the text!

The story itself concerns a put upon loser, Paul Carpenter. His parents have
Rebecca
There are books you read at certain points in your life that speak to you. Tom Holt's stories, these three in particular, had me hooked. Even a few experiences the characters had, I too experienced (my girlfriend was replaced by a goblin - no, wait, I was fired). Witty, perfect, special and endlessly endearing. These are the kinds of stories I would aspire to write, because as far-fetched as some of the concepts seem, they're far too human as well.

Beautiful book from a wonderful writer who can
Richard
Well it began to redeem itself, but then all the explanations... chapters of them! And despite the contrivance, it still didn't explain things very well... I understood okay, but there are holes. It's like he set up all sorts of weird crap, and then was unable to resolve it properly. Are you subbing the writing to minions, Mr Holt? Because this has been a drag. I'm trying to think if any of it was enjoyable, and certainly some of the running around in the middle was, and bits of the explanation, ...more
Gooseman
This was a very humorous book, though it was really quite confusing and I'm not sure it ever fully explained itself. It's the first book by Tom Holt I've read and I'll definitely read more by him.
Tony
Very Long winded at times. A lot of time was spent explaining how the character got to where they are but in the long run the book left many unanswered questions.
Isabel (kittiwake)
'I have a feeling that it won't take me very long at all to get settled in here. If I may say so, Mr Tanner, you run a tight ship.'
(What did that mean, exactly? A ship that never bought a round? A ship that kept getting wedged in the entrances to small harbours?)

The third book in the series that started with "The Portable Door", in which Paul Carpenter has numerous problems at work, dies several more times, and continues his love-hate relationship with his colleague and ex-girlfriend Sophie Pett
Claire
A follow on from 'The Portable Door' (and possibly another in between them, but I couldn't work out which one), it's a very grounded view on the fantasy world. J.W.Wells is a company specialising in magical solutions, a very Fortune-500 company style workplace. Paul and Sophie have found themselves part of it - Paul because his parents sold his soul to the company as a baby - and are constantly struggling to keep on top of the machinations of their superiors. I love Tom Holt's work, I really nee ...more
Vidya
Wacky sense of humour!!!liked it in bits and pieces..initially it was a bit confusing as i had not read his previous works..but enjoyed it as it progressed.....His imagination is totally wild and random!! The characters are human though they are in a magical land!and after a long time i enjoyed an ending!!!!
Bernard
The third in the H.W. Wells & Co series, it's my least favorite so far. I love how it starts out, but then things get twisted and turned and the final third of the book is close to boring. When characters have to keep explaining what is happening to each other, perhaps the author has been gratuitously complex. Poorly handled time-travel and confusing alternate dimensions muddle up the plot, badly.

So why three stars? Because the first part of the book is lovely, particularly with the protagon
Jjlupa
Virginie Mahe
A little bit disappointed by the third book in the serie.
Huw Evans
Urgh. I like Tom Holt and his ability to create a parallel world within the one we recognise and I thank him for softening me up to read Terry Pratchett. He writes well, with humour and perspective and hsi retelling of mythology is often masterly (cf Snow White and the Seven Samurai, or Grailblazers). This book is just a shambles, a development too far, of the JW Wells series. I disliked intensely the TV series, "The Office" and this book seemed to be in a similar genre. I will re-read his earli ...more
Nina
This is probably the worst in the series, the last third of it was really confusing and should've ended long before it finally did; the problem was solved, the bad guys were dead, and everything was explained in boring detail, twice, but things just kept happening for no apparent reason. So why did I give this 3 stars? Because it started out pretty good, I like the series, and I love the characters. This was a disappointing ending to Paul Carpenter's story but worth reading if you like the serie ...more
Julie P
The third book in the Paul Carpenter trilogy that details his complex office environment, co-workers, and his love affair with Sophie. A satisfying read, if for nothing than to round out the trilogy, but a word of caution - definitely read these books in order or you will never understand. Ever. I've read the other two and still had trouble with some of the double-dealing characters and situations that Paul encounters.
Charles
Wonderful book. Bit drawn out with the always trying to make some obscure reference that I've never heard before. Paul seems to be the typical dull English bore with the knack to get through the most absurd circumstances. It sometimes feels like the same joke over and over again but with the twists and turns of the plot turns out to be a great story for anyone into the comedy science fiction category.
Brodysatva
Meh. I loved the first two in the JWW series, but this was tough going and too heavily reliant on some very heavy handed exposition. It was pretty poor in places, pages of reveal by one character (no spoilers here) left me feeling a bit cheated after the great crafting of 'The Portable Door'. Hopefully the next will be better, otherwise, I'm going to feel very cheated...
Stuart
Really weird! Interesting construction and good ideas, but towards the end found myself thinking please just get to the point! Wouldn't read any more of his books by choice having read this, sort of gave me a headache trying to keep up with it. Not that it's complicated, more that it seems he was going all out to try and make it clever with various twists etc
Mike
The last of the J.W. Wells trilogy. The ending was a big surprise to me and I'm still mulling over whether I liked it our not. As with a good mystery, the clues were all over the place, but I was still caught completely off guard. Again, though, the book is delightfully well-written and full of belly-laughs.
Mike Klein
Another funny addition to the series. It reads OK as a stand-alone, but does refer to the earlier stories in the series, so it probably would be worth reading them first.

All of the plot points get confusing and possibly don't make complete sense, but it is a funny read and worth the effort.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
This book is an okay read but quite a dis pointing ending to the series involving Paul Carpenter at J.W. Wells & Co. I loved the two previous instalments and I think that this book lacked Holt's usual wackiness, as well as a "punchier" style. Still, it was an entertaining enough read:)
Zivan
Getting through to the end of Earth, Air, Fire and Custard was a slog.

So many false endings, so long for our character to start figuring out things on his own.

I know that Poul's clulessness is a comic device but it just goes on and on and on over almost three whole books...
Steve
Weird, rather depressing, overly long and a little hard to follow. The continual jumping in and out of parallel worlds, though time and the various plot twists required quite a bit of concentration. I got a little bored towards the end. Probably won't read the others.
Kate Millin
The third and, I think, final one in the series - as good, and off the wall as the earlier ones. You have to keep reading as you cannot guess which way the narrative will jump next - custard as the alternative dimension for example
  • The Da Da De Da Da Code
  • Дебют в Ехо (Лабиринты Ехо, #1.1-1.3)
  • The Unhandsome Prince
  • Costume Not Included
Tom Holt (Thomas Charles Louis Holt; born September 13, 1961) is a British novelist.
He was born in London, the son of novelist Hazel Holt, and was educated at Westminster School, Wadham College, Oxford, and The College of Law, London.
Holt's works include mythopoeic novels which parody or take as their theme various aspects of mythology, history or literature and develop them in new and often humor
More about Tom Holt...

J. W. Wells & Co. (7 books)
  • The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1)
  • In Your Dreams (J. W. Wells & Co., #2)
  • You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps (J. W. Wells & Co., #4)
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • May Contain Traces of Magic (J. W. Wells & Co., #6)
  • Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Sausages (J. W. Wells & Co., #7)
The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1) Expecting Someone Taller You Don't Have to Be Evil to Work Here, But it Helps (J. W. Wells & Co., #4) In Your Dreams (J. W. Wells & Co., #2) Who's Afraid of Beowulf?