Start by marking “Killing the Emperors: Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mysteries” as Want to Read:
Killing the Emperors: Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mysteries

Killing the Emperors: Robert Amiss/Baroness Jack Troutbeck Mysteries (Robert Amiss #12)

Lady (Jack) Troutbeck is missing. So too, is Sir Henry Fortune, celebrity curator, and his partner in love and money, louche art dealer Jason Pringle. Panic begins in the London art world when no one can locate Anastasia Holliday, sensational abject artist, Jake Thorogood, the critic who catapulted her into stardom, or Dr Hortense Wilde, notorious for having influenced gen ...more
Published October 2nd 2012 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published October 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Killing the Emperors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killing the Emperors

Carl Brookins
Oct 28, 2012 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

You needn’t be a fan of or even knowledgeable about art to enjoy this thoroughly enjoyable crime novel. But if you are and if you are pleased to read carefully constructed, devastatingly plotted, well-written crime fiction, you’ll want to read this novel.
Here are outrageous, flamboyant real figures in the British Post-modern art scene. Here are prissy, mincing extravagantly wealthy scheming art collectors and gallery owners, hustlers all, they are cheek by jowl with questionable educators all tr
Dantanian
Feb 12, 2016 Dantanian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jack Troutbeck is a hilariously erudite yet opinionated character of great appetites for life, beauty argument. In this Edwards novel, she takes a well deserved pot shot of the ridiculousness of the YBA's and so much contemporary art, in a deadly setting which ruthlessly sends up the art establishment whilst providing a fine and amusing thriller read.
Hazel
Apr 04, 2013 Hazel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
made it through three chapters and gave up. I enjoyed several of her earlier books and enjoyed her skewering of various aspects of British culture (and American and Irish) but this was just a rant repeated several times in just the first few chapters. A yawn.
Damaskcat
Dec 02, 2012 Damaskcat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Baroness ‘Jack’ Troutbeck, has been pretty outspoken about conceptual art – think pile of bricks at the Tate - in general and those involved with it in particular. Never one to mince words, it seems she may have opened her mouth once too often when she suddenly disappears. Various other people connected with the avant garde art world also disappear over the next few days and Jack’s friends become extremely worried about her.

Has she been kidnapped? It hardly seem likely but after a while that is
Susan
Nov 15, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
While I really loved the first set of Edwards' Robert Amiss books, when she developed the magnetic, eccentric character of Baroness Ida "Jack" Troutbeck, she let Jack--as she acknowledges herself--take over the series entirely. Jack is fun to read about, but her oversized personality and reactionary opinions have, eventually, ruined my enjoyment of the books as a whole. In this one, Jack rants about the art business, and then finds herself kidnapped with others who, to put it mildly, disagree wi ...more
Marguerite Kaye
If I'd realised this was the fourth or fifth book in a series, I wouldn't have picked it up from the library. 50 or 60 pages in, and I felt like I was at a party where everyone knew everyone else, and I knew nobody and no-one wanted to talk to me. There were lots of 'in' jokes, lots of references (footnoted!) to other books, and the characters seemed to me, standing on the outside looking in, to be a smug, self-obsessed and pretty stuck up bunch. So I left the party.

I could be utterly wrong. I
Jillian Ivy
Aug 12, 2013 Jillian Ivy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Ruth Dudley Edwards book I'd ever picked up. How have I missed this author for so long? I read all the Agatha Christie as a teen, and this really reminded me of those novels, but the characters are so much more lively. Even the dead ones. Jack Troutbeck is a character in a million. I wouldn't want to have to work with her, but reading about her is a hoot. And Robert Amiss, I don't understand his life-plan, but we're all lucky he always needs a job. The setting is cozy, but the ...more
Robin
Dec 09, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, which unlike the author's previous entries is more a comedic adventure than a crime mystery. The pleasure would have been enhanced had there been a whodunit element to the plot. Suffice to say there is an echo of Shakespearian tragedy here, where the reader is left to guess who on earth will be left alive by the final act.
If you loathe the hollow shenanigans of modern art, then you will relish seeing its exponents get their just desserts. I look forward to reading Baroness T
Will
Nov 20, 2012 Will rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Amiss-Troutbeck sleuthing in the series which keeps taking aim at some aspect of British society. This one unleashes a fusillade at the world of "modern art". Readers may need a strong stomach to take in the discussions of "artists", most of whom are, unfortunately, NOT fictional. Downgraded for the prevalence of expletives... but again unfortunately, many of them are actually appropriate to the subject matter.
Valerie Andrews
Baroness Jack Troutbeck is on a tear, railing against the nouveau ideas that constitute art and the people who create, buy, sell and critique it. As an academic exercise, she plots ways to destroy them all, based on their particular media and offenses against culture. When her friendship with a Russian oligarch who collects art goes sour and Jack – and others related to the art world – are kidnapped, it's up to Robert Amiss and his assorted friends and associates to rescue Jack.
Nev Fountain
May 02, 2013 Nev Fountain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
A well research plunge into one of the maddest areas of culture. A breathlessly hectic page turner which infected me with a healthy deprecation of modern art.

The concept is great, and well thought through. If I must have a criticism, the premise is laid out rather too directly, and twists and turns are in short supply, but the enthusiasm of the writer takes you through it.
Monica
A hilarious and utterly non PC diatribe about the wretched excesses of postmodern art disguised as crime fiction. Well, there is crime - kidnapping and murder - but mainly it is a gleeful skewering of the likes of Damien Hirst (dead animals) Tracey Emin (soiled bed linens)and the community of pushers and panderers that support the cachet and astronomical prices such works of "art" receive.
Barbara Bothwell
Dame Jack Troutbeck is again caught up in murder and mayhem. This time involving the world of Modern Art - and the Dame's take of the genre. (Hilarious!)

Gruesome, nailbiting and, amazingly, some laughs. I enjoyed every pate of this book. A Gold Star
Rog Harrison
I like Jack Troutbeck as a character though I have nothing in common with her about from liking real ale! This book ridicules modern art and has some gruesome deaths but although it made me smile I did not enjoy this as much as some of Ruth Dudley Edwards' other books.
Lisa
Nov 26, 2013 Lisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really love these characters and get very excited when there is a new story to read but.... this one fell short of expectations. I just found it slow and plodding and un-engaging. :(
Patricia
Jun 30, 2013 Patricia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit thin, this is a self-indulgent criticism of conceptual art. Too ranty and so morbidly violent as to be hypocritical. Not my taste, but I may give another go at the series.
Martin Turner
If you're a fan of art but not of modern art, this is for you. An odd little piece about a kidnapping. Hard going at times, this went in fits and starts, hence the rating.
Caroline Ingvaldsen
Eighth in the Jack Troutbeck/Robert Amiss mystery series, a clever, cutting thriller that is a stinging satire of the modern art world.
Sive
Sive rated it did not like it
Jul 11, 2014
Maegan Little
Maegan Little rated it liked it
May 26, 2015
Linda Brue
Linda Brue rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was ok
Mar 20, 2013
Thebookmistress
Thebookmistress rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2013
Gay
Gay rated it it was ok
Dec 18, 2015
David Steven
David Steven rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Angie
Jun 30, 2013 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the book. Did not like the reader.
Fiona E Middlemist
Fiona E Middlemist rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
After being a Cambridge postgraduate, a teacher, a marketing executive and a civil servant, Ruth Dudley Edwards became a full-time writer. A journalist, broadcaster, historian and prize-winning biographer who lives in London, her recent non-fiction includes books about The Economist, the Foreign Office, the Orange Order and Fleet Street. The first of her ten satirical mysteries, Corridors of Death ...more
More about Ruth Dudley Edwards...

Robert Amiss (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Corridors of Death (Robert Amiss, #1)
  • The Saint Valentine's Day Murders (Robert Amiss, #2)
  • The English School of Murder (Robert Amiss, #3)
  • Clubbed to Death (Robert Amiss, #4)
  • Matricide at St. Martha's (Robert Amiss, #5)
  • Ten Lords A-Leaping (Robert Amiss, #6)
  • Murder in a Cathedral (Robert Amiss, #7)
  • Publish and Be Murdered (Robert Amiss, #8)
  • The Anglo Irish Murders (Robert Amiss, #9)
  • Carnage on the Committee (Robert Amiss, #10)