Start by marking “Moon Over Buffalo” as Want to Read:
Moon Over Buffalo

Moon Over Buffalo

Comedy / 4m, 4f / Unit set Charlotte and George Hay, an acting couple not exactly the Lunts are on tour in Buffalo in 1953 with a repertory consisting of Cyrano de Bergerac "revised, one nostril version" and Noel Coward's Private Lives. This backstage farce by the author of Lend Me a Tenor brought Carol Burnett back to Broadway co-starring with Philip Bosco as her megaloma ...more
Published May 7th 2010 by Samuel French, Inc. (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Moon Over Buffalo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon Over Buffalo

Angela Blount
May 03, 2015 Angela Blount rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays

Set in the 1950's America, this comedic play-within-a-play is rife with slapstick and situational humor, backstage shenanigans, and dysfunctional family dynamics.

This eight person production centers around a traveling theatrical couple, George and Charlotte--whose marriage is on the rocks, along with their fading careers. Charlotte has ambitious dreams of breaking into Hollywood, while her husband seems content in his alcohol-addled, philandering ways. The inciting incident? George receives a ca
David Brown
Feb 01, 2011 David Brown rated it really liked it
Moon Over Buffalo has a special place in my heart (Mainly because I had the pleasure of performing in a production of it). It is story of the Hay’s; a family of traveling actors and how one mistake by the leading man has the possibility to break the troupe apart. Ludwig’s characters are crazy; they do everything to the extreme. Most likely comes from their actor roots, because we all know actors are theatrical. Drunken performances, secret affairs, and tied up weathermen, this play is laugh out ...more
Jordan
Mar 18, 2016 Jordan rated it it was amazing
This play was an absolute gas. The dialogue was lighting-quick and the stage direction even more so. I picked it up because it took place in Buffalo, NY, a former stomping ground, and that was a payoff in itself. The digs at the wee city are hilarious and clever. The action between the characters was reminiscent of Philadelphia Story (a la Hepburn, Stewart and Grant). I just loved it and would be thrilled to see it on stage. I am sure small companies stay away from it because it would require pr ...more
Greg Kerestan
Feb 01, 2016 Greg Kerestan rated it liked it
As a theatregoer, I like a well-done farce. It's a guilty pleasure but one that most audiences seem to share. Ken Ludwig's backstage farce "Moon Over Buffalo" isn't as dark or as viscerally uncomfortable as the more famous "Noises Off," but it packs laughs, quick entrances and exits, misunderstandings, prop work and all the other essential elements of a satisfying farce, complete with a happy ending.
Sierra Wallace
Dec 08, 2013 Sierra Wallace rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books, plays
One of my favorite plays. It's witty, and the banter between George and Scarlet is genuinely funny. The surprise unintended pregnancy makes the plot into that of kind of a sitcom, but the play is still intelligent. Of course, the jokes appeal more to an older crowd, who can still remember the 1950's, and, therefore, it will soon be dated. However, I think it's laugh out loud funny and the writing and commentary on the theatre business is great.
Annie
Jul 17, 2011 Annie rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
I enjoyed this play from the moment I finished the first scene on a plane ride home from the edinburgh fringe festival. The humor is just so accessible, it doesn't even need a great actor to get the humor of the script across, which is a sign of really good comedic play writing, at least for me. I had the joy of playing Eileen last fall and although a part on the smaller side, it was so fun to be apart of a play that demands as much energy as this play.
Neil
Dec 10, 2012 Neil rated it it was amazing
OK, the farce placed backstage among crazies trying to make theater is hardly a new idea, but this has to be one of the best examples. A dysfunctional family troupe faces a variety of crises: keeping the troupe going, even if they have to play Buffalo; mom and dad's infidelities; daughter's defection to the non-theater world; and the remote hope that they might get parts in a Frank Capra film. Many doors are slammed, many identities are mistaken, and there is much drunkenness along the way.
Christina
Jul 02, 2008 Christina rated it liked it
So funny, but not for high school. You'd have to explain too much of it and it's too long for my taste. I can shove them through 50 pages but not 120! Plus I steer away from make out scenes. I'm not gonna make someone's momma mad at me...
Apr 29, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced physical humor, razor-sharp wit make this a bubbling concoction of hilarity that you cannot put down! Laughed out loud too many times to count! :)
Sella Malin
Sep 20, 2009 Sella Malin rated it it was amazing
Ahahaha. This play is hilarious. I was cracking up the whole time I read it. The characters are funny and three-dimensional, the plot is simple but fast and hilarious. Amazing. :)
Damon
Damon rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2012
Mninc
Mninc rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2014
Blair
Blair rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2014
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Chris Morse
Chris Morse rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2007
Paula
Paula rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2012
Sofia
Sofia rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2016
Luke
Luke rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Hiram Alexander
Hiram Alexander rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Catherine D
Catherine D rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2014
Lee Crouse
Lee Crouse rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2017
Jake
Jake rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Gordief
Gordief rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Molly Cox
Molly Cox rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Pat
Pat rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2009
Rachelle Urist
Feb 09, 2011 Rachelle Urist rated it it was amazing
I played Charlotte Hay. What a hoot! Especially given my wonderful leading man!
Doug
Doug rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2012
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
Gia Volpella
Gia Volpella rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2016
  • The Fantasticks
  • Other Desert Cities
  • The Boys Next Door
  • A Flea in Her Ear
KEN LUDWIG is an internationally-acclaimed playwright whose work has been performed in more than 30 countries in over 20 languages. He has had 6 shows on Broadway and 6 in the West End. He has won two Laurence Olivier Awards, two Helen Hayes Awards, the Edgar Award, the SETC Distinguished Career Award, the Edwin Forrest Award for Services to the Theatre and he is a McCarter/Sallie B. Goodman Fello ...more
More about Ken Ludwig...