Start by marking “Head First Wordpress: A Brain-Friendly Guide to Creating Your Own Custom Wordpress Blog” as Want to Read:

Head First Wordpress: A Brain-Friendly Guide to Creating Your Own Custom Wordpress Blog (Head First Series)

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  38 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Whether you re promoting your business or writing about your travel adventures, Head First WordPress will teach you not only how to make your blog look unique and attention-grabbing, but also how to dig into the more complex features of WordPress 3.0 to make your website work well, too.

You ll learn how to move beyond the standard WordPress look and feel by customizing your
Published July 16th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Head First Wordpress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First Wordpress

Chad Warner
This book is short and very high-level, dedicating only 1 or 2 pages to most topics. It's best for beginners or intermediate WordPress users. It covers styling a theme, managing users, managing categories and tags, embedding video, podcasting, security, and performance. I liked the security tips and the plugin recommendations. Much of the book can be applied to web design in general, and isn't specific to WordPress.

The book was published in 2010 and teaches WordPress 3.0. It shows how to edit so
Janet Barclay
Apr 28, 2011 Janet Barclay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I became familiar with WordPress a few years ago, I was eager to apply the things I’d already learned about web design, but found the extensive documentation on the WordPress site a little daunting. I searched for a good reference book, but was unable to find anything that explained what I wanted to learn in a way I could understand. Although I’ve managed to learn a thing or two since then, and WordPress has become more user-friendly as well, I was excited to learn that O’Reilly Media, who ...more
Katya Kean
4 year old book. At this point it might be better to just Google the subjects and look for more up-to-date information.
Things I wish I'd known: When installing the themes, use the hosting file manager to upload the zip file and then extract the contents.
I'm probably going to look for a more recently-published book. Also, the forum for this book on Head First's website is no longer maintained, so there's no more bug fixing or updates.
Elijah Oyekunle
Jan 28, 2016 Elijah Oyekunle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice guide for people new to Wordpress and Web development in general. Get up and running with wordpress in no time.
Roberto Hernando
Bastante flojo. Quien no tenga conocimientos de html y css se va a limitar a copiar y pegar cosas sin saber lo que hace; quien tenga esos conocimientos no va a aprender nada.

Lo peor: unos cuantos capítulos destinados a los plugins más conocidos sin contar nada nuevo y destinados sólo a rellenar.

Lo mejor: el formato visual de la serie Head First

(rhernando.net)
Jason Kittredge
Aug 12, 2012 Jason Kittredge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm doing some consulting work for a friend on a business web site, and we decided that we wanted to use a content management service to help him maintain the site. To this end, we selected Wordpress, and I needed to get up to speed on how this technology worked. As usual, the Head First press book was very informative, clear and concise.
Yousef M
Skimmed through book, went back to chapter on configuring themes. Despite efforts to make this simple for newbies to Wordpress, it cannot escape much of the coding knowledge required and dumbing it down actually makes it more difficult to grasp CSS/PHP syntax. The other sections on using the Dashboard features were more helpful though.
James Garland
Dec 10, 2010 James Garland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
See my blog postfor a full review.
Ceanne
May 16, 2011 Ceanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad read, I found some of it really intersting, but too much information for someone who just wants a basic blog.
Tina
Jan 01, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Great book for learning the basics of WordPress and how to take it beyond a blog.
Robert
Dec 16, 2012 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-the-library
Basic information which is ok for those who are not into technical.
Smcho
Smcho added it
Feb 01, 2016
John C.
John C. marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Lacey
Lacey rated it it was ok
Dec 22, 2015
Siegfried Lee
Siegfried Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Kalle Dalheimer
Kalle Dalheimer marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Justin Ball
Justin Ball is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2015
Ken Kustian
Ken Kustian marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Marwa
Marwa marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Hobus
Hobus added it
May 07, 2015
Michael Strong
Michael Strong marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Sundar
Sundar is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Gowtham Varma
Gowtham Varma rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Julio Sueiras
Julio Sueiras rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2015
kuyseng chhoeun
kuyseng chhoeun marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry