Start by marking “Head First Wordpress: A Brain-Friendly Guide to Creating Your Own Custom Wordpress Blog” as Want to Read:

Head First Wordpress: A Brain-Friendly Guide to Creating Your Own Custom Wordpress Blog (Head First Series)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Whether you're promoting your business or writing about your travel adventures, Head First WordPress will teach you not only how to make your blog look unique and attention-grabbing, but also how to dig into the more complex features of WordPress 3.0 to make your website work well, too.

You'll learn how to move beyond the standard WordPress look and feel by customizing your
Published July 16th 2010 by O'Reilly Media (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Head First Wordpress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Head First Wordpress

Chad Warner
This book is short and very high-level, dedicating only 1 or 2 pages to most topics. It's best for beginners or intermediate WordPress users. It covers styling a theme, managing users, managing categories and tags, embedding video, podcasting, security, and performance. I liked the security tips and the plugin recommendations. Much of the book can be applied to web design in general, and isn't specific to WordPress.

The book was published in 2010 and teaches WordPress 3.0. It shows how to edit so
Janet Barclay
When I became familiar with WordPress a few years ago, I was eager to apply the things I’d already learned about web design, but found the extensive documentation on the WordPress site a little daunting. I searched for a good reference book, but was unable to find anything that explained what I wanted to learn in a way I could understand. Although I’ve managed to learn a thing or two since then, and WordPress has become more user-friendly as well, I was excited to learn that O’Reilly Media, who ...more
Katya Kean
4 year old book. At this point it might be better to just Google the subjects and look for more up-to-date information.
Things I wish I'd known: When installing the themes, use the hosting file manager to upload the zip file and then extract the contents.
I'm probably going to look for a more recently-published book. Also, the forum for this book on Head First's website is no longer maintained, so there's no more bug fixing or updates.
Roberto Hernando
Bastante flojo. Quien no tenga conocimientos de html y css se va a limitar a copiar y pegar cosas sin saber lo que hace; quien tenga esos conocimientos no va a aprender nada.

Lo peor: unos cuantos capítulos destinados a los plugins más conocidos sin contar nada nuevo y destinados sólo a rellenar.

Lo mejor: el formato visual de la serie Head First

(rhernando.net)
Jason Kittredge
I'm doing some consulting work for a friend on a business web site, and we decided that we wanted to use a content management service to help him maintain the site. To this end, we selected Wordpress, and I needed to get up to speed on how this technology worked. As usual, the Head First press book was very informative, clear and concise.
Yousef M
Skimmed through book, went back to chapter on configuring themes. Despite efforts to make this simple for newbies to Wordpress, it cannot escape much of the coding knowledge required and dumbing it down actually makes it more difficult to grasp CSS/PHP syntax. The other sections on using the Dashboard features were more helpful though.
Ceanne
Not a bad read, I found some of it really intersting, but too much information for someone who just wants a basic blog.
Tina
Great book for learning the basics of WordPress and how to take it beyond a blog.
Robert
Basic information which is ok for those who are not into technical.
Michael Strong
Michael Strong marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
Sundar
Sundar is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
kuyseng chhoeun
kuyseng chhoeun marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Guam
Guam marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Xuewei
Xuewei marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Preston
Preston marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Dorai
Dorai marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2014
Sarah Gee
Sarah Gee marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Saran
Saran marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Orsi
Orsi added it
Jun 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

Head First Series (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Head First 2D Geometry
  • Head First Web Design
  • Head First C#
  • Head First Ajax
  • Head First PHP & MySQL
Head First Web Design Head First Wordpress: A Brain-Friendly Guide to Creating Your Own Custom Wordpress Blog Head First Web Design Head First Web Design