The Innkeeper's Daughter

The Innkeeper's Daughter

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Holderness, 1846.

For reliable, thirteen-year-old Bella, life isn't turning out quite as she'd hoped. She lives at the Woodman Inn - an ancient hostelry run by her family in the Yorkshire countryside - surrounded by two older brothers who never pull their weight and a flighty younger sister. When Bella learns not only that her father is seriously ill, but that her mother is...more
Published November 8th 2012 by Transworld Digital

V.E. Lynne
Nicely written story of a young girl, Bella, whose life and dreams are forced to change when her father dies suddenly and her mother makes the decision to move the family from Holderness to Hull. Bella has to find a way for her own talents to shine and there is also the tantalising figure of Jamie Lucan, a landowner's son who becomes a doctor, hovering in the background, offering the chance of an unexpected romance. Lovely tale, the author's level of research into 19th century Hull and Holdernes...more
Emily
Overall, Wood does an excellent job of balancing broad depictions of the Empire with intimate domestic scenes in an engaging way. Through the build-up of see-saw moments and endearing characterisation, I took an avid interest in what the outcome would be. No matter the satting, The Innkeeper’s Daughter relevant to 2013, in which the fortunes of ‘Britain’ as a joint Scottish-English-Welsh concept are equally up in the air as during the time of Empire.

Read more at http://emilykmorrison.wordpress.c...more
Sherry
Really enjoyed this much better than I thought I recommend it
Michael Cayley
Set in the mid-19th century, this novel centres on the daughter of a village innkeeper whose father dies prematurely and who moves from a largely impoverished rural community in Holderness, Yorkshire to Hull, where her talents have full scope, and a landowner's younger son who trains as a doctor. This is an engaging novel, well-researched, which does not shy away from the appalling conditions of poor people.
Andrew Milner
This was my first Val Wood book. Good story of the coming together of 2 people from different backgrounds. Based in 1847, the story follows an Innkeepers family and especially the daughter. Held my attention throughout. Fabulous writing style enabled me to picture it all as the story went along.
Caroline Montague
This was my first Val Wood book & I will be reading more. A very enjoyable read.
Gill
Very good. I cared what happened to the characters.
Sharon
Light reading, nice bit of escapism with a touch of history
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Carrie Duggan
Carrie Duggan marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Beverley Brown
Beverley Brown marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Sam Dempsey-clark
Sam Dempsey-clark is currently reading it
Aug 05, 2013
The Hungry Tide The Kitchen Maid The Doorstep Girls The Long Walk Home Rich Girl, Poor Girl