Start by marking “The Power of Silence: The Riches That Lie Within” as Want to Read:
The Power of Silence: The Riches That Lie Within

The Power of Silence: The Riches That Lie Within

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  9 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Graham Turner explores the power that can be found in silence through interviewing monastics, religious leaders, composters, actors, psychotherapists and peace workers about their experiences of practising silence. A profound book about a great gap in modern human awareness.
Published October 1st 2012 by Bloomsbury Continuum

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Silence

Anil Swarup
"One who keeps silence will be rewarded with salvation" quotes the author from the Holy Koran. He goes on to mention how silence has been advocated as a tool for self-empowerment in all the religious scriptures. However, what is most remarkable about the book is the narration of the experience of a variety of people from all walks of life in different parts of the world in this context.
Stanley
Tackling the nebulous topic of silence, Graham has surveyed a spectrum of instances from artistic to theistic with an ebullient demeanour and compelling insight. The effects of utilising silence have been extensively expounded and I have been inspired to assess the potential bounty that it can have in my life.

While the latter half of the book can seem disjointed at times, this is an educational exploration especially in the modern cacophonous times we live in.
The topic is important - I know I avoid silence more than I should. But the book is a lot of reported speech and not much reflection/analysis It felt a lot like, "I went here and this person said this." Next chapter - "I went to another place and this person said this."

A little boring and probably not as enlightening as it should have been.
Ravinder Singh
Ravinder Singh marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Silvia Machado
Silvia Machado marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Ruchi
Ruchi marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Manik
Manik added it
Mar 11, 2014
Brad Snead
Brad Snead marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Deep Gadhvi
Deep Gadhvi marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Wizdum Wizdum
Wizdum Wizdum marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
Berj
Berj is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2013
Ratan Gatta
Ratan Gatta marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Brittanylynn
Brittanylynn marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Levi Joseph
Levi Joseph marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Jamie Mcdowell
Jamie Mcdowell marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2013
Rhodalyne Doku
Rhodalyne Doku marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
May 05, 2013
Mary Lyon
Mary Lyon marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Sue Carter
Sue Carter marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2013
M.
M. added it
Feb 18, 2013
Henry V: The background, strategies, tactics and battlefield experiences of the greatest commanders of history The Power of Silence The Credit Crunch: Housing Bubbles,Globalisation and the Worldwide Economic Crisis Catching Up with Gandhi Elizabeth: The Woman and the Queen