The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace: Know What Boosts Your Value, Kills Your Chances, and Will Make You Happier

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The key to understanding how your manager calculates your real value . . .and how to boost itMore than anything else, you need to understand exactly how your employer evaluates you, and your annual performance review doesn't tell the whole story. "In Reality Check," Cy Wakeman shows how to calculate how your value to your organization. This number calculates your current a...more
Published April 16th 2013 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2013)

Read it. It will tick you off to no end. You'll want to argue with it and discredit it and ignore it. But in the end, you can't. The only question you'll be left asking in the end is, "What do I want bad enough to work this hard for?" And you might be surprised by your answer.
Russell Simpkins
Read this book if you want to take control of your own destiny. Cy's writing is clear and concise without being repetitive. I need these constant reminders that I am in control of my own destiny and this book does a very good job explaining the we are all, ultimately, responsible for our own growth and satisfaction. "The seven habits of highly effective people" has a very similar message if you haven't already read it. This book is more concise and actionable. I enjoy the ratings and the means t...more
Michelle Tran
This book was alright. The advice was sound, but I can't help but think that the purpose of some of the advice is to create more complacent corporate drones, (especially the advice about reframing negative external "problems" as something you should take ownership to improve).
Dawn Lennon
Putting a real finger on the pulse of workplace dynamics separates credible books on success from superficial ones. Cy Wakeman allows no excuses for avoiding accountability at work and for perpetuating drama. She invites self-assessment of your current performance, future potential, and emotional expensiveness (the cost of any "maintenance"). With that she offers clear-headed perspectives to replace the ones that are not working in your favor along with her 5 grounded rules to boost your value a...more
Judy Arrington
Great advice. Funny. Quick read and worth while advice.
Debbie
A Fast read about forward sailing into a stress-free working environment. Cy Wakeman sites several scenarios to help readers stay in their lane on the highway of any workplace. A refreshing book for upper management and workers in general to consider reading. Perfect for those teachers to charge up your batteries as we get ready to head back to school in the fall.
Tressa
I actually liked The Reality-Based Rules of the Workplace, which surprised me as I usually view such books with skepticism. The concepts were simple, common-sense, and easy to grasp. I thought it was easy to assess yourself and determine if where you were in the categories was true or not.
Andrea
I didn't exactly like this book, but I think it is good. It is full of the things I know but for some reason still need to have pounded into my head in a regular basis. I think I should read it again in a few months.
Jacob Cruzan
Cy Wakeman gives some sound advice on how to survive in any work place. I particularly liked rule number 1, on personal accountability. If anyone follows the 5 rules their life will become more fulfilling.
Michelle
Good ideas about keeping your emotions in check. I am recommending this book to new managers and many others.
Megan
Excellent book for new managers and keeping emotions in check at the workplace.
Justine
Great work read!
Angel 'ine
Angel 'ine is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
Stark
Stark marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Sky Bee
Sky Bee is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
T
T marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Julie
Julie is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2014
Deb
Deb added it
Jun 15, 2014
Jared
Jared marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Nawal Qarwan
Nawal Qarwan marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Alisha Linn
Alisha Linn is currently reading it
Jun 01, 2014
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Jon Gilge
Jon Gilge is currently reading it
May 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results Reality-Based Leadership Workshop Facilitator's Guide Set Reality-Based Leadership Workshop Deluxe Facilitator's Guide Set Reality-Based Leadership Self Assessment Reality-Based Leadership Workshop Participant Workbook