Start by marking “Rumors” as Want to Read:
Rumors

Rumors

Farce / 5m, 5f / Int. At a large, tastefully appointed Sneden's Landing townhouse, the Deputy Mayor of New York has just shot himself. Though only a flesh wound, four couples are about to experience a severe attack of Farce. Gathering for their tenth wedding anniversary, the host lies bleeding in the other room and his wife is nowhere in sight. His lawyer, Ken and wife Chr ...more
Published January 2nd 1991 by Random House (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Rumors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumors

Julie
Jan 08, 2013 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: play
Read this out loud this evening with my husband & son. We had a lot of fun! There were 10 characters in total so we each played several roles. We made up some interesting accents to differentiate between each character!
Yasamin Rezaei
Nov 06, 2013 Yasamin Rezaei rated it liked it
Recommended to Yasamin by: Alborz Taheri
پر کاراکتره و این خوندنشو سخت می کنه اما اجراش پدیده ی هیجان انگیزی از آب در میاد(اینی که الان رو صحنه است رو من ندیدم البته)

"-می تونیم یه لوله کش خبر کنیم.اونا می تونن هرچیزی رو دربیارن.حلقه های عروسی،سوییچ های ماشین.من یه عمه داشتم که دندون مصنوعیش رو تو توالت انداخته بود و اونا براش درآوردن.
-و اون ازشون استفاده کرد؟
-خب آره،مسلما تمیزشون می کنی
-پاپ می تونه اونارو متبرک کنه ، اما من نمی تونم اونا رو دوباره بذارم توی دهنم
"
Feb 10, 2014 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
Definitely not as funny a read as it will be when you come see me perform it live March 14-16 or 21-23. Just sayin'. :)
Anthony Sementilli
Feb 06, 2015 Anthony Sementilli rated it really liked it
PROS
-Absolutely hysterical:I think this play is both a mature and easy work to swallow. It is, first and foremost, a comedy, and it does just that. Even after watching the play some time back, reading it in the cold, hard, flesh still made me el oh el quite a few times. I think this play is an excellent study in comedy tropes, and is an invaluable reference to humor writers in all genres of creative writing.
-Tight plot: I read somewhere that this was Simon's hardest play to write--that he slaved
Keith Moser
Jan 20, 2016 Keith Moser rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
I really need to read more Neil Simon; I've enjoyed the few plays of his that I've read/seen, but I know there are so many more out there...

Rumors isn't perfect. There's not a large cast of characters, but there are enough to make it a little confusing to track who's saying each line. It doesn't help that the men are (purposefully) named Len, Ken, Glenn, (and Ernie) while the women are Chris, Cookie, Claire, and Cassie! The dialogue is often meant to be fast-paced and overlapping, and just readi
Brian
Jan 22, 2013 Brian rated it liked it
Neil
Jan 22, 2014 Neil rated it it was ok
I'm not getting the love for this, it's not among the better Simon plays to me. It's about a bunch of power couples arriving for a dinner party and instead discovering that their host is bleeding and his wife has disappeared. In the process of trying to find out what has happened, they themselves are taken into a farce of physical injuries, mistaken identities, and a cover-up of events that they don't understand in the first place.

It has moments of cleverness, but it's weakened, like much of Sim
Jay
Jul 24, 2012 Jay rated it liked it
Shelves: drama
I'll start off by saying I am a fan of Simon's work, and thus far I'd say this is his weakest piece. The fact that this could be someone's weakest work shows how strong Simon is overall. The problem I had with this was mostly with the first act, I personally thought there were too many people in the first act. However, the play does take place at a 'party' so that's bound to happen I guess. Once I was clear on who was who, etc. I really enjoyed the play. I'll eventually read it again, and with t ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Rumours: A Farce, c1997, the collected plays of Neil Simon Vol 3

عنوان یک: «شایعات [نمایشنامه]»، نوشته: «نیل سایمون (1927)»؛ برگردان: «آهو خردمند (1329هجری)»، نشر: «تهران، نیلا، 1389، در 112 ص.»، فروست: قلمرو هنر؛ 212، شابک: 978-600-122-076-0، موضوع: نمایشنامه آمریکایی-- قرن 20م.

عنوان دو: «شایعات: یک فارس (مضحکه)»، نوشته: «نیل سایمون (1927)»؛ مترجمها: «بهروز محمودی بختیاری (1352) و مینا رضاپور»، نشر: «تهران، افراز، 1390، در 136 ص»؛ شابک: 978-964-243-600-2، یادداشت: کتاب حاضر ترجمه یکی از نمایشنا
Cierra
Dec 06, 2016 Cierra rated it it was amazing
cool
Billie Pritchett
Jun 29, 2016 Billie Pritchett rated it it was ok
Shelves: play
I've read Neil Simon's Rumors twice through and I've seen two performances of it. There are some hysterically funny moments in it that leap off the page. For example, there is a scene when a woman named Cookie is looking for something but then she realizes she had it in her hand all along; this reads well. Other parts in the play can be enhanced depending on the quality of acting. As it stands now, I don't think I enjoy it too much. But it has its moments. I'm sure it would be fun to watch if yo ...more
Lindsay Wilson
Jan 10, 2014 Lindsay Wilson rated it liked it
Shelves: plays
3.5 stars for this surprisingly funny play. Because it's so character-driven, a good production could be hard to do, but when done correctly, this is a funny show. Just finished reading it and then saw a great production, so I feel okay about that previous sentence, even though it makes me sound pretentious. I maybe wouldn't go so far as to call it a farce, but this is a solid comedy, particularly for fans of Neil Simon's dry humour.
Shawn Pudsey
Aug 19, 2013 Shawn Pudsey rated it liked it
Farce describes politics, not my top choice for reading material. When I started 'Rumors', I noted that Christine Baranski played the role of Chris on Broadway; I could hear her and see her in my mind while reading. Very fast read - like watching a tennis ball being batted back and forth, complicated by the fact that there are multiple players. A nice little plot kick at the end.
Lyric
Mar 12, 2009 Lyric rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing play about how little white lies can get us into big trouble. I love the wit and humor of Neil Simon, he is one of the best American play writes of all time. I love this play so much that I am currently directing a production of it at my old high school. I have a cast of very talented students and a great stage to perform this wonderful comedy.
Destinee Sutton
Dec 14, 2008 Destinee Sutton rated it it was ok
Shelves: funny, theater
I've never seen this play and only read the script because Darrell foisted it on me. It's hard to believe he's going to do it with his high school kids because there's a lot of swearing and it's a little dated. Reading it, I thought it was ridiculous, but I only laughed out loud once. I'm pretty sure if I saw it, though, I'd think it was funny.
Paige
Apr 06, 2009 Paige rated it it was amazing
The drama teacher for the high school I work at sweettalked me into being on the play consideration committee. Rumors was on a short list for possible fall productions. I had so much fun reading this play - laughing out loud as I reached the final scene - that I now find myself wanting to read more Neil Simon.
Jason Loeffler
Jan 26, 2011 Jason Loeffler rated it really liked it
Common enough in summer stock-theatre, seeing this play is almost as fun as reading it. It's easy to picture the slapstick antics between the lines, and the lines themselves build very well upon each other, some coming at you from the side, tickling your ribs while the last guerella one-liner is still slapping your knee.
Amanda
Dec 29, 2012 Amanda rated it it was ok
Moderately entertaining play to read. I would probably enjoy seeing a production of it, as I suspect most of what makes it good really needs to be seen in order to be appreciated. Good acting would be the thing that would take the script from okay to great.
Rich
Sep 01, 2016 Rich rated it really liked it
Very funny. I am always fascinated how Simon can build a joke with so many layers that it continues to grow in hilarity. This is Simon at his finest. Why only 4-stars? It takes a lot for me to give a book 5-stars. It has to really knock me out of my chair to get that rating.
Jon
May 08, 2012 Jon rated it liked it
Verbal slapstick.

Somewhere between the manic crackle of the Marx Brothers and the stiff upper wit of Oscar Wilde. A nice try by Simon, but this is no You Can't Take It With You.

Nevertheless, a good company has more than enough fodder here for a fun night at the theatre.
Albert
Jul 15, 2014 Albert rated it did not like it
It was weak, the only good thing was the jokes
preferably the ones involving candy or cookie or whatever her name was.

Not Simon's best.

The whole things just felt like an uninteresting awkward episode of Fraiser
Ainsley Dobson
Aug 29, 2015 Ainsley Dobson rated it really liked it
4 out of 5 stars

This was a really entertaining play and I'm really going to enjoy playing it. Still, I found that to me at least, the names became jumbled once all of the characters got together. Also, the dialogue was confusing.
Kristen Lo
Dec 17, 2014 Kristen Lo rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
We are doing scenes from this for my Theatre One class this semester-- I had never read it before! Great farce and seemed like a good choice for beginning actors. High stakes, physical comedy, fun characters.
Arghavan
Jun 29, 2014 Arghavan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: افسردگانِ کنکوریِ کنکورنداده
Recommended to Arghavan by: افسردگی قبل از کنکور
Shelves: داریم
خیــلی خندیدم. جدّا خیلی خوب بود :)) مرسی از آقای نیل سایمون که افسردگی قبلِ کنکورِ آدم رو رفع میکنه. ...more
J3llyfish
Feb 19, 2015 J3llyfish rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Reading this (rather than watching it) made distinguishing between the characters very confusing. However, I figured it out, and really liked it.
Samantha Glasser
Jan 29, 2016 Samantha Glasser rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I appeared in this play in 11th grade. It has its moments but it has to be played seamlessly to get laughs, and unfortunately high school actors aren't always up to par.
Kailee
Feb 15, 2016 Kailee rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites, plays
This play was performed at my college, & I liked it so much that I immediately went out & bought the hard copy. Fantastic, witty play.
Glynnis
May 04, 2012 Glynnis rated it liked it
Just got cast in a production of this show! Mr. Simon is the master of farce - lots of fun and slamming doors :).
Natali
Mar 20, 2012 Natali rated it it was amazing
Great play! This is going to be our school's spring thespian show, so I took it upon me to do my research. Hilarious! I have a really good feeling about this show.
Lori
Jan 15, 2015 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, plays
The hysterical moments were overshadowed by the utter silliness of it all. Not my favorite Neil Simon play...but it did deliver some laughs.
Rumors 1 1 Aug 28, 2013 08:25PM
  • Don't Drink The Water
  • Moon Over Buffalo
  • The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) [Revised]: Actor's Edition
  • The Curious Savage
  • The Foreigner
  • The Lieutenant of Inishmore
  • Incident at Vichy
  • Good People
  • Three by Tennessee: Sweet Bird of Youth; The Rose Tattoo; The Night of the Iguana
  • Metamorphoses
  • Wait Until Dark
Marvin Neil Simon is an American playwright and screenwriter. He is one of the most reliable hitmakers in Broadway history, as well as one of the most performed playwrights in the world. Though primarily a comic writer, some of his plays, particularly the Eugene Trilogy and The Sunshine Boys, reflect on the twentieth century Jewish-American experience.
More about Neil Simon...