Start by marking “Arthur and the Lost Kingdoms” as Want to Read:
Arthur and the Lost Kingdoms

Arthur and the Lost Kingdoms

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Alistair Moffat uncovers the mystery and myths surrounding one of british histories most enigmatic figures.
Published November 1st 2012 by Birlinn Publishers (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Arthur and the Lost Kingdoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arthur and the Lost Kingdoms

Nikki
Interesting to read, and I was quite willing to be convinced here -- I was already aware of the Strathclyde Welsh speakers, as they turn up in an Anglo-Saxon poem I translated. And it'd be much less annoying for Arthur to prove to be Scottish than English, and an argument I've seen elsewhere.

Moffat relies on place names and folk memories, though, which is dubious ground -- look at the proliferation of places that claim to have to do with Robin Hood, or indeed all the places in Wales and Cornwall
Anne Hamilton
Apr 15, 2015 Anne Hamilton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: medieval
Brilliant. Infuriating.

Early in the book, Moffat sets up a mystery: on a statue in the town of Hawick, in the Scottish Borders, there's an inscription which is said to be connected to the warcry of the men of the town during the Battle of Flodden. Teribus ye teri odin! Moffat suggests it is from Old Welsh and means the land of death, the land of Odin. Towards the end of the book, having made his point about Welsh as the original language of the Borders, he briefly returns to this phrase and poi
Chris
Nov 14, 2012 Chris rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Thank goodness these "lost" kingdoms are not "holy" kingdoms, as is claimed by conspiracy theorists from southeast Wales! At least we don't have to suffer a rant about secret histories suppressed by the ignorant English and the arrogant establishment familiar from similar "histories", "true" stories and "final" discoveries.

Instead, the major part of this book is given over to a study of the area between the Walls, both Antonine and Hadrianic, before, during and after the Roman occupation of Brit
Mar 28, 2015 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthur and the last kingdom by Alistair Moffatt
I like this book because of the raw research done , its down to earth reality about the pictish-celts
What really happened and how in the war like society , recorded moment left on trees rocks etc
The ogham-alphabet. In Scottish Gaelic or Irish Gallic , the list of chippers so how true is that when we consider history , philosophy, religion, literature.
Other have said that some if the books in have reviewed the books have been hard to understand
T
Alex Bledsoe
Jan 09, 2008 Alex Bledsoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating dissection of place-names and language used to identify the person and history of Arthur. He argues (persuasively to me) that Arthur was not based in the south of England but along the Scottish border. He identifies the real "Camelot," even. Written by an educated layman instead of a specialist, and accessible if at times a bit dry.
Steven Malone
Nov 20, 2012 Steven Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
I like everything Arthurian. This is a new theory that the real Authur may have belonged to northwestern Briton. His evidence is convincing. His theory seems pretty sound. Worth a look no matter your view.
Emma
Overview

This is an interesting book about the placement of Arthur within Britain. Although the legends and barely touched upon you do get a good sense of the world that Arthur has grown from. However, there were parts of this book while interesting didn't seem to have much to do with Arthur until later on in the book. Which is obviously the author's choice but at times it was slightly irritating.

It is nice to hear some of the history about Southern Scotland. I live and have grown up in the Hi
Lyle Appleyard
Feb 06, 2013 Lyle Appleyard rated it liked it
This was a book that I really enjoyed. It deals with history that mainstream historians might ignore. Did Arthur really exist?

The authour looks at the history of England in a period that is difficult to study, the dark ages. There was nothing written down by the Celts. All we can go on is what the Romans tell us and what archeology tells us. The author takes it a step further by studying the place names and connecting them with Celtic origins. I found this to be a interesting approach. The autho
Karen Floyd
Nov 01, 2015 Karen Floyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-history
"King" Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table was a highly romanticized creation attached centuries later to an ancient British war leader. Moffat speculates entertainingly and plausibly about who the real Arthur was and what he did that caused him to be so long remembered and revered. Reliable written sources are almost non-existent, so the author explores placenames, and their history and meaning, as a means to discovery. Fascinating.
Annie
Feb 04, 2016 Annie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Speculative, but interesting.
Samantha
This book was fairly easy to read and told about more than just the legend of King Arthur. I learned many things about the names of places in Scotland and how those place names have changed over time and languages. This book also gave me much information about holiday traditions and their origins. I thought it was a bit more about places than Arthur, but it was very informative and enjoyable. There is so much rich history that comes from Scotland that I didn't even know about. This book shed lig ...more
David
An interesting read but somewhat academically unsound, as he relies on some disputed readings of Y Gododdin and other works which have been debated for years, as well as some dubious translations of placenames. I don't think he proves his case entirely but it does give some food for thought.

The background to the period makes for useful reading and it certainly increased my desire to find out more about the period. From that point of view, it was worthwhile.
Cynthia
Oct 10, 2012 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book it wasn't so much about king Arthur as I had expected but interesting non the less . It was more about the history of the Welsh people and the Scots and How they were intermingled along the borders having been driven by invaders to the woodlands . The writer shows prove of this by language similarities and old rites involving horses and burials
Feb 25, 2013 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
A great place to start learning about the historical Arthur. Mr. Moffat gives a fascinating picture of Kelso, the Borders, and Arthurian Britain that kickstarted a personal obsession that has lasted me through high school and college. Highly recommended.
Book
Book added it
Aug 09, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Pip
Pip marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Bill Knowles
Bill Knowles rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2016
Tony Hale
Tony Hale rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Humble_Digs
Humble_Digs marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Duncan
Duncan added it
Dec 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Alistair Moffat was born in Kelso, Scotland in 1950. He is an award winning Writer, Historian and former Director of the Edinburgh Festival Fringe and Director of Programmes at Scottish Television. He is the founder of Borders Book Festival and Co-Chairman of The Great Tapestry of Scotland.
More about Alistair Moffat...