Start by marking “The Living Reminder: Service and Prayer in Memory of Jesus Christ” as Want to Read:
The Living Reminder: Service and Prayer in Memory of Jesus Christ

The Living Reminder: Service and Prayer in Memory of Jesus Christ

How service is prayer and prayer is service

In this rich and deceptively simple book, beloved writer Henri Nouwen speaks—from the heart and from his own experience—of the joys and challenges of religious service. He shows how ministry cannot be separated from spirituality and reveals how anyone involved in religiously motivated service can act as a healing, sustaining, an

Published 1977 by Seabury Press

To ask other readers questions about The Living Reminder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living Reminder

Melanie
Apr 05, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very inspirational book on the subject of how to maintain spiritual vitality and energy while serving in ministry.
Andrew
Spending time with a Henri Nouwen book refreshes, inspires, and consoles me like no other author. Clocking in at just under 80 pages, The Living Reminder speaks to the soul of a minister, giving a bare bones job description for those who serve others in Jesus' name.

Nouwen divides his book into three responsibilities that the minister is called to fulfill: healing, sustaining, and guiding Jesus' flock. He roots much of his instruction in the power of memory, and touches on such tangible aspects o
Ann Yeong
Mar 16, 2016 Ann Yeong rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little over a year ago, I attended a workshop on Henri Nouwen and heard, for the first time, about "The Ministry of Absence." Nouwen had taught that constant presence is harmful, and that it is the interplay of absence with presence that deepens intimacy - both in our relationship with God and in our relationships with people. He called for "creative withdrawal" and "the ministry of absence" for ministers to be effective.

It is in "The Living Reminder" that Nouwen writes about this intriguing
Barbara
Feb 16, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Barbara by: Gabrielle McKeever
This is a short but significant reflection on the work of ministry and preparation for ministry as a healing presence of Christ. In three movements he reflects on the work of the Minister as a "healing reminder, sustaining reminder, and guiding reminder." His emphasis upon the art and action of listening to provide a space within which the other may speak of the wounds received in life to facilitate healing is foundational.

In the concluding pages of the book, Nouwen writes "There is an increasi
Bill
May 15, 2016 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful and, I believe, very important book for ministers/pastors/chaplains and anyone who participates in visitation ministry.

I have always appreciated Nouwen's writing, and Wounded Healer is a well-known classic. THIS book is a great companion to that and should be mandatory in preparatory education for faith leaders.

While this is, or can be, quite a fast read, it is something that requires more attentiveness and reflection. I will be revisiting this often, I think, and keeping some type of
Amos Smith
Sep 22, 2015 Amos Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-books-other
This is one of Nouwen's most brief, yet exquisite books. I often give this book to people considering Seminary. It gives such a simple yet profound approach to Christian Ministry as a living reminder of Jesus' life and ministry. When it comes to books on a practical and accessible theology of ministry this one makes the top of the stack!
-Amos Smith (author of Healing The Divide: Recovering Christianity's Mystic Roots)
Michale
Aug 30, 2011 Michale rated it liked it
Required for CPE, tough for a Jew: "How does a ministry as a sustaining memory of Jesus Christ take shape?" Um, well...not. He speaks of being in touch with the source of guiding inspiration, but since we differ in our interpretation of that source, a seemingly helpful passage can suddenly feel alien to me. He quotes Elie Wiesel at the start of each chapter - another example, for him, of a suffering Jew from whom to learn ethics.
Francine
Aug 25, 2012 Francine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great little book. It was written, according to the Library of Congress, for clergy. However, the meaning of the word minister in the Roman Catholic Church has been expanding since the 1970's. This book is a good refresher for anyone who serves in ministry in their parish communities. I think it's especially relevant to Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist and those who do hospital and home visits.

I've read this before and try to re-visit it every 2 or 3 years.

Chrismpadgett Padgett
I am just a major fan of Nouwen. I would recommend his works to most people I encountered interested in growing their spirituality. This was one of my early encounters with Nouwen and in some ways marked a movement towards Catholicism for me. I was very blessed by Nouwen's books as I journeyed home.
Adam Tyler
Dec 15, 2015 Adam Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nouwen's work is a good word for all ministers: be intentional about how you serve and who you represent. It is so easy to get caught up in the busyness of ministry and be deluded into thinking we are indispensable. Nouwen reminds us to be pointers to Christ through being a healers, sustaining reminders, and guides.
Eric Lynch
Jul 08, 2012 Eric Lynch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty fast read but eventually intellectually stimulating. Henri has a focus on memories, prayer and guidance. Saw a reference to the Abbey at Genesee which my mum goes on her silent retreats (pretty cool shout-out). Definitely insightful perspective when it comes approaching ministry for faithful followers. Goodread ;-)
N
Nov 18, 2012 N rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very short but (as is often the case with Nouwen's books) it took a long time to read through and digest.
Some of this was not as good as "The Life of the Beloved" or "The Return of the Prodigal Son," but there were compelling nuggets throughout.
Megan
Oct 31, 2007 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todd and anyone
Make time in your life to read this book! It is reminder to me of my role as healer, sustainer, and guider...because of the Healer, Sustainer, and Guider of all things.
Beca Lufi
"It is from the still point of prayer that we can reach out to others and let the sustaining power of God's presence be known."
Kevin M
Jan 25, 2014 Kevin M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you do any type of service for the body of Christ this should be a must read... easy and quick, yet thought provoking.
Eunice
Eunice rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2009
Walter
Walter rated it really liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2015
Glenn
Glenn rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2016
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2007
Stephen
Read AUG 2001
Dave Greene
Dave Greene rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Susie
Susie rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2009
Ruben
Ruben rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Felix
Felix rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2011
Benjamin
Benjamin rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2011
marylyn
marylyn rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Lance Towers
Lance Towers rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Life and Holiness
  • Under the Unpredictable Plant an Exploration in Vocational Holiness (The Pastoral series, #3)
  • Merton's Palace of Nowhere
  • Sacred Reading: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina
  • The Gift of Peace
  • The Two Covenants
  • Prayer and Temperament
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...