Start by marking “The Living Reminder: Service and Prayer in Memory of Jesus Christ” as Want to Read:
The Living Reminder: Service and Prayer in Memory of Jesus Christ

The Living Reminder: Service and Prayer in Memory of Jesus Christ

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  13 reviews
How service is prayer and prayer is service

In this rich and deceptively simple book, beloved writer Henri Nouwen speaks—from the heart and from his own experience—of the joys and challenges of religious service. He shows how ministry cannot be separated from spirituality and reveals how anyone involved in religiously motivated service can act as a healing, sustaining, an

Published 1977 by Seabury Press

To ask other readers questions about The Living Reminder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Living Reminder

Andrew
Spending time with a Henri Nouwen book refreshes, inspires, and consoles me like no other author. Clocking in at just under 80 pages, The Living Reminder speaks to the soul of a minister, giving a bare bones job description for those who serve others in Jesus' name.

Nouwen divides his book into three responsibilities that the minister is called to fulfill: healing, sustaining, and guiding Jesus' flock. He roots much of his instruction in the power of memory, and touches on such tangible aspects o
Barbara
This is a short but significant reflection on the work of ministry and preparation for ministry as a healing presence of Christ. In three movements he reflects on the work of the Minister as a "healing reminder, sustaining reminder, and guiding reminder." His emphasis upon the art and action of listening to provide a space within which the other may speak of the wounds received in life to facilitate healing is foundational.

In the concluding pages of the book, Nouwen writes "There is an increasi
Kevin M
If you do any type of service for the body of Christ this should be a must read... easy and quick, yet thought provoking.
Francine
This is a great little book. It was written, according to the Library of Congress, for clergy. However, the meaning of the word minister in the Roman Catholic Church has been expanding since the 1970's. This book is a good refresher for anyone who serves in ministry in their parish communities. I think it's especially relevant to Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist and those who do hospital and home visits.

I've read this before and try to re-visit it every 2 or 3 years.

Michale
Required for CPE, tough for a Jew: "How does a ministry as a sustaining memory of Jesus Christ take shape?" Um, well...not. He speaks of being in touch with the source of guiding inspiration, but since we differ in our interpretation of that source, a seemingly helpful passage can suddenly feel alien to me. He quotes Elie Wiesel at the start of each chapter - another example, for him, of a suffering Jew from whom to learn ethics.
Eric Lynch
Pretty fast read but eventually intellectually stimulating. Henri has a focus on memories, prayer and guidance. Saw a reference to the Abbey at Genesee which my mum goes on her silent retreats (pretty cool shout-out). Definitely insightful perspective when it comes approaching ministry for faithful followers. Goodread ;-)
Chrismpadgett Padgett
I am just a major fan of Nouwen. I would recommend his works to most people I encountered interested in growing their spirituality. This was one of my early encounters with Nouwen and in some ways marked a movement towards Catholicism for me. I was very blessed by Nouwen's books as I journeyed home.
Albert Hong
Nothing really stuck for me in this book. The epilogue was good. :)
Nate
Very short but (as is often the case with Nouwen's books) it took a long time to read through and digest.
Some of this was not as good as "The Life of the Beloved" or "The Return of the Prodigal Son," but there were compelling nuggets throughout.
Megan
Oct 31, 2007 Megan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todd and anyone
Make time in your life to read this book! It is reminder to me of my role as healer, sustainer, and guider...because of the Healer, Sustainer, and Guider of all things.
Beca Lufi
"It is from the still point of prayer that we can reach out to others and let the sustaining power of God's presence be known."
Margaretflynn
Not one of my favorites of Henri Nouwen, but he doesn't disappoint.
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
John Blonza
John Blonza marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Alison Pounds
Alison Pounds marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Wade
Wade marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Life and Holiness
  • Under the Unpredictable Plant an Exploration in Vocational Holiness (The Pastoral series, #3)
  • Church: Why Bother?: My Personal Pilgrimage
  • The Solace of Fierce Landscapes: Exploring Desert and Mountain Spirituality
  • Things Unseen: Living in Light of Forever
  • The Unnecessary Pastor: Rediscovering the Call
  • Wellsprings
  • The Book of Common Prayer
  • Hearing God: Developing a Conversational Relationship with God
  • The Wisdom of Tenderness: What Happens When God's Fierce Mercy Transforms Our Lives
  • The Gift of Peace
  • Sacred Reading: The Ancient Art of Lectio Divina
  • Holy Listening: The Art of Spiritual Direction
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
  • Ancient-Future Faith: Rethinking Evangelicalism for a Postmodern World
  • Intimate Moments with the Savior: Learning to Love (Moments with the Savior) (Moments with the Savior Series)
Henri Jozef Machiel Nouwen (Nouen), (1932–1996) was a Dutch-born Catholic priest and writer who authored 40 books on the spiritual life.

Nouwen's books are widely read today by Protestants and Catholics alike. The Wounded Healer, In the Name of Jesus, Clowning in Rome, The Life of the Beloved, and The Way of the Heart are just a few of the more widely recognized titles. After nearly two decades of
More about Henri J.M. Nouwen...
The Return of the Prodigal Son: A Story of Homecoming The Wounded Healer: Ministry in Contemporary Society In the Name of Jesus: Reflections on Christian Leadership Life of the Beloved: Spiritual Living in a Secular World The Inner Voice of Love