Start by marking “A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #16)” as Want to Read:
A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #16)

A Streetcar Named Expire (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #16)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  362 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
For Sale: Luxury Condos, Corpse Included

Just a stone's throw from Judith McMonigle Flynn's thriving Hillside Manor, workmen are busy renovating the elegantly decrepit Alhambra Arms into pricey condominiums. But concerned contractor George Guthrie fears that well-heeled potential buyers may blanch when they learn about the four-decades-dead body that was stashed behind the
Published January 9th 2001 by Avon (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about A Streetcar Named Expire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Streetcar Named Expire

Julie
Sep 19, 2015 Julie rated it really liked it
A Streetcar named Expire by Mary Daheim ( Bed and Breakfast 16) is a 2001 Avon Publication.

I am far more familiar with Mary Daheim's Emma Lord series, but I have checked in with the Judith Flynn from time to time.

I came across this one while browsing through my Overdrive account and was reminded of how long it had been since I had read anything from this series and how very far behind in it I am. This one was published way back in 2001 if that tells you anything.

Judith and her cousin Renie ar
Chazzi
Feb 04, 2016 Chazzi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
When Judith McMonigle Flynn agreed to go with her sister on the maiden run of the Toujours La Tour guided tour of her hometown, she didn't expect her B&B to be the first stop. After listening to the guide go on about murder and mayhem having occured there, discovering the corpse of an exorcist at the second stop really got things off to a roar.

A dead exorcist, a found treasure and another dead body found in the walls of the 100 year old Alhambra Arms, which is currently under renovation, loo
Allan Krummenacker
Jan 17, 2013 Allan Krummenacker rated it it was amazing
I love these Bed and Breakfast mysteries, the two leads are a hoot and half with how they interact. And the variety of people they encounter can be so bizarre yet realistic at the same time. We all meet interesting characters in our daily lives, but we just don't always find out more about that them.

In this one, our protagonists Judith and Renie wind up working on 2 mysterious deaths. One from 40 years ago and one that they stumbled upon while on a tour. It's intriguing to see how the author in
Jeanne Quigley
Feb 09, 2014 Jeanne Quigley rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this cozy very much. The plot was clever, weaving a past murder with a current one and involving interesting characters. The ending was very funny, echoing the end of the action movie Renie references at one point. And there's an ostrich!
Maggie Worth
Jun 28, 2015 Maggie Worth rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Cute and light with a bit of the absurdist humor I so favor. First of hers I've red, but I'll check out others.
Pam
Sep 23, 2007 Pam rated it really liked it
TITLE/AUTHOR: A STREETCAR NAMED EXPIRE by Mary Daheim
RATING: 4.5/B+
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Mystery, 2001, 296 pgs
TIME/PLACE: 1990's, Washington
CHARACTERS: Judith Flynn/B&B owner; Renie Jones/cousin -- graphic designer
COMMENTS: Another humorous entry in the B&B series. The Alhambra Arms is being renovated -- converting apts to condos. During the rehab a body is discovered between walls, treasure buried in the floor and the exorcist for the bad kharma is found shot on site. Judith's husba
Susan
Jun 01, 2009 Susan rated it liked it
Judith Flynn takes a mystery tour of her hometown, and is shocked when her bed-and-breakfast inn is one of the attractions. Determined to demand that the tour operator apologize, she gets off at the next stop--an apartment building, now being converted to condos, in which a murder took place--and finds another victim. Her husband Joe is hired to investigate the new murder, but Judith concentrates on the fifty-year-old case, interviewing people who lived in the apartments then, and people who rem ...more
Michele
Sep 06, 2014 Michele rated it really liked it
Another great installment in a great series.
VJ
Apr 01, 2013 VJ rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
First there were five rooms in the B&B. Then, there were six. Now there are eight? Really? What did they do? Chop two more rooms up? Editing is a lost art.

The storyline was okay. Not all the clues to figure it out yourself. This book sets up nicely for the next in the series, which actually is the first book I read by Mart Daheim. I then decided I better start from the beginning of the series to make heads or tails of the characters. It definitely helps to read these books in order!
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
This is the best entry in this series so far. I really enjoyed the mystery in this one. It was very nuanced and had depth. As well as the history of all the interconnected characters from the WWII era Alhambra apartments.

It still had all the ingredients I had come to love in this series. The humor and the quirky characters, but the addition of a cracker jack mystery really brought it over the top.
Diane Falvey
Mar 01, 2013 Diane Falvey rated it really liked it
On a murder mystery tour That Judith didn't even want to participate in,the girls come across a dead body in an underconstruction condo block. Joe , working as a PI, is investigating and Judith believes that some stolen jewels are related to the murder. Joe "lets" Judith investigate the jewel theft thinking it will keep her out of his investigation. Well, we know who actually solves the crime don't we?
Mary  (Biblophile)
Another enjoyable Judith McMonigle Flynn cozy mystery. It's a wonder that Judy manages to run her bed and breakfast what with always getting involved in murder. Her cousin Renie's graphic business must suffer, too, as she's usually dragged along. Good plot and character development, although I think this one went on a little longer than necessary.
Mel
May 24, 2010 Mel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mystery
One of the more entertaining Bed and Breakfast mysteries. All kinds of twists and turns in the plot. This series gets better with each book. And, ya gotta love how Judith and Serena work together.
Sarah Jowett
Nov 16, 2012 Sarah Jowett rated it it was ok
I couldn't get into it, too much back stuff to catch up on from previous books and the conversations are hard to follow.
Sallie
Feb 28, 2011 Sallie rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I'm on a roll in reading these mysteries. I'm hooked I guess, or addicted, your choice - but I am now into the next book.
Kim
Nov 11, 2011 Kim rated it it was amazing
I really like this series. This was another great book!
Anne Mulder
Apr 04, 2007 Anne Mulder rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Light NW mystery
Shelves: mineallmine
Not my favorite of hers but ok
Tracey
Mar 13, 2012 Tracey rated it it was ok
Ridiculous.
Marcie
Marcie added it
Feb 06, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Broughps
Broughps rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Greta
Greta added it
Jan 21, 2016
  • Death A L'Orange (A  Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery, #3)
  • Bound for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #3)
  • Death Loves a Messy Desk (A Charlotte Adams Mystery #3)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • The Da Vinci Cook (Angie Amalfi, #14)
  • Doc in the Box (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #4)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Fear of Frying (Jane Jeffry, #9)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • Cockatiels at Seven (Meg Langslow, #9)
Seattle native Mary Richardson Daheim has been fascinated by story-telling since early childhood. She first listened, then read, and finally began to write her own fiction when she was ten. A journalism major at the University of Washington, she was the first female editor of The Daily where she attracted national attention with her editorial stance against bigotry.

After getting her B.A., she wor
More about Mary Daheim...

Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • Fowl Prey (Bed-and-Breakfast Mystery, #2)
  • Holy Terrors (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #3)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #4)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • A Fit of Tempera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #6)
  • Major Vices (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder, My Suite (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #8)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Nutty as a Fruitcake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #10)