Start by marking “American Ground Zero: The Secret Nuclear War” as Want to Read:
American Ground Zero: The Secret Nuclear War

American Ground Zero: The Secret Nuclear War

A poignant collection of photographs which records the devastating effects of the United States government's mendacious and reckless nuclear testing program on the men, women, children, animals, and landscape of the American continent.
Published May 10th 1994 by Random House (first published March 10th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about American Ground Zero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Ground Zero

Matthew
May 12, 2012 Matthew rated it it was amazing
An oral history of Americans involved in and affected by America's nuclear testing program, as told in their own words. This includes pilots who flew through mushroom clouds, personnel on the ground facilitating experiments, and people living downwind from nuclear tests. "Downwinders" include people in St. George, Utah, just across the state line from the Nevada Proving Grounds to a faculty member at Rensselaer Polytech in Upstate NY who measured radioactive fallout on campus from a Nevada test. ...more
Jen
Jan 10, 2015 Jen rated it it was amazing
Listen, this book is amazing and important. Not such a big fan of the victim blaming in her prologue, and to some extent throughout the book. I thought Zimbardo and Milgram showed that the majority of people are obedient and deferent to what they perceive to be figures of authority? It's not just a "Mormon" thing.

The whole idea of the IRB is that the onus of responsible research is on the researchers, NOT on the test subjects (obviously, as in this case, when they are not informed and not conse
Wendy
Dec 31, 2008 Wendy rated it it was amazing
An amazing book about the after-effects of American nuclear test sites, specifically the Nevada test site. This book focuses on the stories of individuals that worked at the site and those downwinders affected by the fallout. With heartbreaking stories and beautiful black and white photography, Gallagher has preserved a part of history that the U.S. government has tried to silence and cover up. The nuclear fallout from the Nevada test site alone stretches across the nation. It affects us all.
Ken
Nov 08, 2008 Ken rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: McCain supporters, Reagan-lovers, Ike-likers
I'd never heard of this book before last week. I bought it on impulse at the San Francisco Public Library and, over the next few days, it turned my heart to fucking ice.

It's probably the finest "why the hell didn't anyone tell me about this?" document I've ever read. Just absolutely brain-destroying. I DARE you to love the US government after reading it.
Jason
You can't look at "your" government the same way after seeing how many of your fellow Americans' lives were written off for the sake of weapons testing.
Angela
I couldn't finish this book. It was amazing and well-written -- but it was utterly too emotionally draining and depressing. The accompanying photographs merely made it all to real to deal with. The devastating cancer cases, the frustrating government cover-up, the atomic fall-out cloud treated as evening entertainment...it was just too much to absorb. Everyone should know this about our government -- they sponsored atomic tests on their own citizens -- on our parents, on you and me -- for years, ...more
G Scott
Sep 29, 2015 G Scott rated it it was amazing
this book is a must. i knew the fallout from all those tests in the 50's/60's/70's/80's on southern utah was bad but i had no freakin' idea just how bad it was. ms. gallagher brings these poor peoples sufferings uncomfortably close. annd..you don't want to look away.
Joshlyn
Feb 12, 2009 Joshlyn rated it really liked it
I chose to read this book because my grandpa worked at the NV test site as a surveyor during the late 50's, early 60's, when above ground testing was going on. This book was horrifying. I can't believe the widespread effects on Southern Utah and Nevada.
Ellen
Jan 16, 2008 Ellen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My oncologist recommended this one.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2016
Ed Eldridge
Ed Eldridge marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Theresa Garton
Theresa Garton marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Ron
Ron marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2016
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2016
Bradley Geyer
Bradley Geyer marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
David Wilcher
David Wilcher rated it it was amazing
Feb 26, 2016
Bud24
Bud24 marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Charles Montague
Charles Montague rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2015
Courtney Carlson
Courtney Carlson marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Garpu
Garpu marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2015
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Elizabeth Alverson
Elizabeth Alverson marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Jessica Reuter
Jessica Reuter marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015