Start by marking “Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers” as Want to Read:
Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers

Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  18 reviews
USE YOUR WORDS introduces the art of creative nonfiction to women who want to give written expression to their lives as mothers. Written by award-winning teacher and writer, Kate Hopper, this book will help women find the heart of their writing, learn to use motherhood as a lens through which to write the world, and turn their motherhood stories into art. Each chapter of U ...more
Published April 1st 2012 by Viva Editions

To ask other readers questions about Use Your Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Use Your Words

Literary Mama
Use Your Words is directly addressed to writers who hope to tell their motherhood stories in ways that are resonant and meaningful. Hopper herself is aware that writing about motherhood may be, as she says, “an uphill battle to get it taken seriously,” one she has struggled against. In her own writing life, Hopper faced down that struggle by continuing to write herself and by encouraging her own writing students – often mothers – to craft these stories themselves. What emerged from those session ...more
Alison Lee
For every mother who wants to write, a must-read. I know I will go back again and again to Kate Hopper's wonderful book, full of useful advice and writing exercises and prompts.

I got this book through the Amazon Vine program, though I've stopped getting as many books (or even really looking at the books available) because, well, I am buried in books. (I'm not complaining, mind you.) Plus there are tons of other cool things I can get through Amazon Vine, so why add to the books I can't get to yet?

This book, though, caught my eye and I broke down and ordered it. I'm a writer, after all, and a mother! This book looked like it was for me!

And...it was. I'll admit, I was a
Damla
So you’re ready to tell the world a story. Your plan is a gifted, cunning, picturesque chronicle of the comedy and drama called ‘life as a Mom’. Before you start, you might want to check out a book called “Use Your Words” by Kate Hopper. This bestselling author is much like a director, as she escorts and guides you through assignments to make you a better writer. Sadly, writing about motherhood and children is sometimes looked at as a lackluster genre. Kate Hopper shows how to give your memoir c ...more
Kate Vogl
I've been recommending this to all the mothers I know who write. Kate knows how to bring forth a writer's sense of humor and empathy and how to encourage a writer all along the way. A must have for any mother writer's book shelf.
Carin
Kate Hopper's "use your words" is a great guide for mothers getting (back) into creative non-fiction.

Kate shows the budding mama writer how to write a compelling story. Each tip/ chapter is backed up with examples and writing exercises, with additional prompts at the end of the book. Being a busy mother herself, she also dispels some of the common writing rules in favour of more mama-friendly ones.

I loved this book. Like many mothers I feel compelled to remember/ write down the stories of pregn
Sara
Well, I finished reading—now to get writing. Actually, the book already got me writing with Kate Hopper's online book tour. I've flagged a bunch of exercises for days when I don't know where to start or when I need something different.

The book reminded of the lesson I've already learned about what you are writing about and your real subject and made me think about voice differently.

Aside from the writing advice, I loved a lot of the pieces she used as examples.
Molly
This is a good guide for a beginning writer, particularly those who want to transform their own musings on motherhood into more polished prose. Based on Hopper's classes she has taught at the Loft Literary Center, this would be a good book to give to those who might not have access to her in person.
Stephanie Friant
Feb 19, 2014 Stephanie Friant rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Addie Zierman
Just love this writing workshop/mothers' group in the form of a transportable, go-at-your-own-pace book. For any mother interested in writing about being a mother - even grandmother's/guardians/aunts/Dad's? - this is a must read.

Sue
I was only pages into this book when I felt like I had come home. I dreamed of writing about my mothering experiences and Kate's book, followed by her online course have led me to do it.
The book is filled with inspiring examples from mother writers and stimulating exercises.
Marisha
I want to learn how to be a good writer and "use my words" well...and for the glory of God. Sadly, the swearing and taking the Lord's name in vain in many of the memoir excerpts repelled me. I only made it half way through when I decided that I'd had enough.
Samantha
I found this book to be very helpful. It gave me many new ideas and tips to try when working on my writing. While I'm not sure that I will ever be a true writer, I feel that if I did choose that path this book would definitely be a helpful tool.
Emily Cook
This book is impossible to finish- I cannot read a chapter without being inspired to write, write, and write some more!

This book now has a permanent home on my writing shelf, and I will refer to it often. I highly recommend it!
Karla Archer
I've enjoyed working through this book. I've never had great recall of details (more the overall feeling of the experience), so it's been really challenging to get through some of it, but I needed the challenge!
Karna Converse
A great resource for writers who are first, and foremost moms. Filled with tips and exercises for both getting started and for polishing drafts into something that's publishable.
Audrey Lawrence
Very inspiring for moms wanting to tell their story for personal or professional work. A must for bloggers, especially for the mom-tots blogs.
Ami
While I enjoy Kate Hopper's writing, I do not think I enjoyed this book as much as everyone else did.
Tammi
Tammi marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Kimm
Kimm marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2015
Kate
Mar 16, 2015 Kate added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Lora
Lora marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Rhonda
Rhonda marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Sarah Thomas
Sarah Thomas marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Laura Enfinger
Laura Enfinger marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Writing the Memoir: From Truth to Art, Second Edit
  • Your Life as Story
  • Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction
  • The Rose Metal Press Field Guide to Writing Flash Nonfiction: Advice and Essential Exercises from Respected Writers, Editors, and Teachers
  • The Memoir Project: A Thoroughly Non-Standardized Text for Writing & Life
  • Handling the Truth: On the Writing of Memoir
  • Inventing the Truth: The Art and Craft of Memoir
  • Lemons and Lavender: The Eco Guide to Better Homekeeping
  • Writing Motherhood: Tapping Into Your Creativity as a Mother and a Writer
  • Surviving a Borderline Parent: How to Heal Your Childhood Wounds and Build Trust, Boundaries, and Self-Esteem
  • Help! For Writers: 210 Solutions to the Problems Every Writer Faces
  • At the Heart of the Gospel: Reclaiming the Body for the New Evangelization
Kate Hopper is the author of Ready for Air: A Journey Through Premature Motherhood and Use Your Words: A Writing Guide for Mothers. Kate holds an MFA in creative writing from the University of Minnesota and has been the recipient of a Fulbright Scholarship, a Minnesota State Arts Board Grant, and a Sustainable Arts Grant. Her writing has appeared in a number of journals, including Brevity, Literar ...more
More about Kate Hopper...
Ready for Air: A Journey through Premature Motherhood Silent Running: Our Family’s Journey to the Finish Line with Autism Small Animal Critical Care Medicine Silent Running: Our Family's Journey to the Finish Line with Autism