Start by marking “Yin Yoga: Principles and Practice” as Want to Read:
Yin Yoga: Principles and Practice

Yin Yoga: Principles and Practice

The 10th Anniversary Edition of "Yin Yoga: Outline of a Quiet Practice" by Paul Grilley brings together in a fresh way the ancient wisdom of acupuncture and Taoism with Hindu yoga practices. With over 80,000 copies sold, Grilley's book has been enhanced with new materials describing the evolution of Yin Yoga within the Yoga world over the last decade plus new reference mat ...more
ebook, 10th Anniversary Edition, 144 pages
Published January 30th 2015 by White Cloud Press (first published May 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Yin Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yin Yoga

Lauren
Aug 16, 2016 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga, library
Concise book about yin theory and practice - good stuff for first 2/3 of book. Lost me at the end. Bernie Clark's yin books are more comprehensive and better written, so if you want to learn more about yin, I recommend starting there.
Sian Lile-Pastore
This is really good! Particularly enjoyed the introduction. The lady is wearing a VERY shiny unitard.
Desiree
Sep 30, 2011 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book was an awesome read. I have always liked Yin Yoga, and now I appreciate it even more. This was a quick read that I will come back to over and over. If you are having any joint pain, you should check this out.
Mary Harju
Mar 04, 2008 Mary Harju rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After practicing power vinyasa yoga for years this book came along at just the right time for me. It teaches how and why to sit for a long time in a posture. It's nice to feel the passive work going on as the body lets go of the tension in the connective tissue.
John Baldwin
I was first introduced to Paul Grilley, Yin Yoga's author, in his yoga anatomy videos available on his website or youTube. I enjoyed his method of teaching so I thought this might be a good way to learn about yin yoga - a style that has more or less eluded my 8-year practice thus far.

First off, I appreciate the yin and yang symbol, and though many may find it cliche, it sheds light for me on a number of wide ranging topics, and here Grilley uses it to describe a system of yoga. Yang type exerci
Kristi
Jun 19, 2016 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Grilley was the first Yin yoga "expert" I was introduced to when I started practicing that style of yoga in 2011. For years I had been looking forward to reading his book on the subject. Perhaps that caused me to build up a lot of expectations. Because once I did read this slim volume I was underwhelmed.

It has a nice history of the development of Yin yoga and overall gives a pretty good overview. There was something about the presentation (the ordering of information, I'm not exactly sure)
Eva Whiteley
Sep 30, 2016 Eva Whiteley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A succinct introduction to Yin Yoga postures and meditation practices. However, if you are a beginner like me the guidance within the book does need to be read as a minimum alongside the text and video guidance found at www.yinyoga.com or even better still whilst attending classes with a yoga instructor. I am still practicing at a basic level using the easier (and prop supported) variations of the postures that I hold in during yoga classes. At the time of writing this review, the variation of t ...more
Julia
Jan 21, 2016 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Compact write-up on yin yoga postures and breathing techniques which seemingly adheres to the basic Chinese Taichi & Taoist principles of spiritual and physical well-being.

Many of the postures come from classical Yoga. Due to their being non-muscular in nature, they are collectively known as "Yin" Yoga.

This is a very basic write-up and I have attended yoga classes with many more variations of poses than those mentioned here.
Seawood
My yoga teacher, who actually trained with Paul Grilley, recommended this one. It's quite interesting; I'm not very interested in the spiritual aspects and if I'm going to be convinced of this meridians stuff I need to see a LOT more data from more than one source. However, it's a reasonable run-down of the postures which I think will be helpful in my practice.
Iris
Dec 15, 2013 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're interested in the theory behind Yin yoga then this is a good read for you. It gets into the beliefs and theories which stem from the Chinese "chi" as well as the Indian chakras. It also goes into different key poses and what they are good for and how to do them properly (and for how long).
Heidi
Feb 19, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes yoga or wants to learn about it
I think I really liked this one, cause I love yoga. Yin yoga is a slower yoga where you get to spend more time in each pose. I generally prefer it to the faster yang type. Though they both have their place.
Charlane Brady
Aug 06, 2011 Charlane Brady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant!

I read this one again and I must say the practice of yin postures is changing my life. Physical and emotional wounds are healing. I enjoy my entire yoga practice more. This slow, gentle practice is just what I need to ensure a balance in life.
Chuck
A solid description of the Yin Yoga approach and why it differs from the yoga most of us practice. Goes a little overboard for my taste in the depth of spirituality. I can appreciate the metaphors of gods for energy sources, etc., but when they are presented as fact I start to struggle with them.
Cyndee
May 15, 2009 Cyndee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book several times and re-read it again today. This is a brilliant practice of stretching the connective tissue, a calm and quiet practice. Very good for folks with connective tissue and joint disorders. A good accompaniment to Viniyoga's yang will make a holistic practice.
Emily
Oct 04, 2011 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
an interesting idea. clearly written and presented. Yin yoga is quite different from other systems of hatha yoga that I've studied, and while I've tried it I cannot say I have mastered or understood it.
Barbara Ginsberg
Apr 02, 2015 Barbara Ginsberg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a yoga anatomy workshop with Paul and Suzee. Good little book to have but has left me yearning for more! Also a great resource book for a teacher.
Cheyenne
Jun 21, 2016 Cheyenne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm teaching yin yoga and this is THE book. Loved it. Precise. Complete. (Almost) everything you need to know about yin yoga.
Anne
Feb 16, 2015 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of what Yin Yoga is and the postures that are considered Yin.
Edith
Feb 02, 2013 Edith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good guide. Solid. Worth the read.
Kristen Finnie
Nov 08, 2007 Kristen Finnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yogis
this is a great book that presents an nice alternative to the conventional western hatha yoga mindset.
Sara
Sep 24, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recently certified, I'm still gobbling up all yoga knowledge I can find. This was clearly written and great introduction to Yin Yoga.
Alexandra Rosenblum
Quick and Good introduction
Leeann
Feb 04, 2015 Leeann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read for anyone interested in Yin Yoga. However, if you want a more complete book into the practice Bernie Clarks Yinsights is a must read
Aishwarya Tripathi
Good book!
Leticia
Yin yoga is great for stretching the connective tissue. I love a Yin Yoga class on Friday evenings where you can stretch the week right out of you and prepare for a lovely weekend.
Brent
Mar 20, 2013 Brent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very philosophical...changed my entire practice....
SarahYogaH20
May 25, 2015 SarahYogaH20 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent seminal work on Yin Yoga. This book explains the "whys" and hows of teaching yin expertly. I love Paul's videos too!
Robin
Nov 29, 2013 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3. 5 stars

I appreciated the discussion of chi and meridian theory along with the clear representation of many yin yoga poses; I wasn't especially interested in the discussion of chakra meditation.
John Hawkins
Apr 08, 2016 John Hawkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yin Yoga is a wonderful practice and I am happy to have gone through it.
Denise Neal
Denise Neal rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2015
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Anatomy of Movement
  • The Key Muscles of Hatha Yoga
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Back Care Basics: A Doctor's Gentle Yoga Program for Back and Neck Pain Relief
  • Asana Pranayama Mudra Bandha