Start by marking “The Middle of Nowhere” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Middle of Nowhere

David Gerrold

The Middle of Nowhere (Star Wolf #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  9 reviews
With an introduction by Spider Robinson
The Morthans were physically and mentally superior. Descended from humans, they were now, literally, "more-than" human ... and considered the human race to be little better than animals. They would stop at nothing to conquer the remaining human-controlled worlds.
Docked for repairs after a harrowing battle with a Morthan ship, Jonath
Published October 7th 2003 by Benbella Books (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Middle of Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middle of Nowhere

Eric
Gerrold's book managed to keep my attention even though the story is not particularly exciting. The search for the 'left-handed moebius wrench' however was cringeworthy. I get the feeling that Gerrold is deliberately trying to dumb things down to make sure we understand what he is trying to get across which, to me, makes the story less enjoyable.

I like the Morethans as enemies, but the backstory of Brik, the Morethan security officer, who plays a considerable role in this book, is almost non-exi
Alan
At times I look at the TBR Mountain and go ah yes I want to finish that series, and The Middle of Nowhere reminded me why I like David Gerrold’s first story of the ship The Star Wolf (The Voyage of the Star Wolf) so much. Humor, a well paced story and he pulls off in Nowhere something only Asimov has done really well.

Made a bunch of talking heads an interesting read. Even Asimov referred to Foundation that way, and perhaps other authors have done the same who are not coming to mind. Between expo
Per Gunnar
To me this book was not as good as the first one. There are bits and pieces of the book which are quite good which is why I gave it a 2 star (it’s ok) Goodreads rating. But the good bits are padded with so much nonsense that it it really drags the book down.

The thing that irked me the most is this totally idiotic idea that the captains of military starships seems to have to go around and barter for spare parts themselves. I do not understand how a writer can come up with such an idiotic idea. A
Traummachine
Another great book in this series. I'm only slightly a Star Trek fan, but I still wish I hadn't been told beforehand that these were originally slated to be Star Trek episodes, because I might not have made some connections. But even knowing that "warp", "illogical", and "torpedoes" were retained from the Trekiverse, this still felt like a fresh, original story. It's classic Gerrold, and I love the new setting he created for this series.

I didn't expect this to have so little combat, and it was a
Kernos
This is a famously compelling space opera by the screen writer of Star Trek's The Trouble with Tribbles.

The basic plot, the adventures of a space ship and crew in an interstellar war, is standard fare with interesting variations and strategic discussions.

But, the characters really stand out and do what so many humans have trouble with, they actually grow throughout the 4 books. And, their growth is verifiably and realistically due to their life experiences.

It is what Star Trek could have, shou
Gregor Eder
A great Military-SciFi series with a mixture of Action, Science, Emotion and Humor. This is not the clean Future of Star Trek nore a dystopic one, but a realistic.
Chris
Pretty good. The sexuality is decidedly somewhat odd, but less than the Dillengeriad -- in fact not out of normal bounds for the genre, much less vampire novels.
Pumpkin
Gerrold creates a complete and fascinating future space-traveling world. But his characters are what keeps me reading his books.
Bonnie
very good, hard to put down
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 20, 2014
Matt
Matt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Oneeyed
Oneeyed is currently reading it
Nov 04, 2014
Kris
Kris added it
Oct 05, 2014
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Sep 12, 2014
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
  • The Other End of Time
  • Starplex
  • The Great Time Machine Hoax
  • Cycle of Fire
  • Foreign Legions (Earth Legions, #2)
  • Year's Best SF
  • The Rebel Worlds (Flandry, #3)
  • The Dome in the Forest (The Pelbar Cycle, #3)
  • The 37th Mandala
  • Convergent Series
  • They Walked Like Men
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • Famous Science-Fiction Stories: Adventures in Time and Space
  • Cherudek
  • Davy
The Man Who Folded Himself A Matter For Men A Day for Damnation A Rage for Revenge A Season for Slaughter