Start by marking “The Middle of Nowhere” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Middle of Nowhere

David Gerrold

The Middle of Nowhere (Star Wolf #3)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  188 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
With an introduction by Spider Robinson
The Morthans were physically and mentally superior. Descended from humans, they were now, literally, "more-than" human ... and considered the human race to be little better than animals. They would stop at nothing to conquer the remaining human-controlled worlds.
Docked for repairs after a harrowing battle with a Morthan ship, Jonath
Published October 7th 2003 by Benbella Books (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Middle of Nowhere, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Middle of Nowhere

Mike Crate
Jun 21, 2015 Mike Crate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novel in the Star Wolf series, again we are back on the LS-1187 newly named as Star Wolf but alas the Admiralty has refused to acknowledge the ship and crews contribution to the recent mission they barely returned from. Morale continues to decline as Korie who remains the ship's executive officer breaks the news to the crew and tells them those in power see the Star Wolf as a source for parts rather than a fighting ship and they will be denied a chance to join the planned a ...more
Eric
May 17, 2014 Eric rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Gerrold's book managed to keep my attention even though the story is not particularly exciting. The search for the 'left-handed moebius wrench' however was cringeworthy. I get the feeling that Gerrold is deliberately trying to dumb things down to make sure we understand what he is trying to get across which, to me, makes the story less enjoyable.

I like the Morethans as enemies, but the backstory of Brik, the Morethan security officer, who plays a considerable role in this book, is almost non-exi
Alan
Aug 06, 2014 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
At times I look at the TBR Mountain and go ah yes I want to finish that series, and The Middle of Nowhere reminded me why I like David Gerrold’s first story of the ship The Star Wolf (The Voyage of the Star Wolf) so much. Humor, a well paced story and he pulls off in Nowhere something only Asimov has done really well.

Made a bunch of talking heads an interesting read. Even Asimov referred to Foundation that way, and perhaps other authors have done the same who are not coming to mind. Between expo
Per Gunnar
To me this book was not as good as the first one. There are bits and pieces of the book which are quite good which is why I gave it a 2 star (it’s ok) Goodreads rating. But the good bits are padded with so much nonsense that it it really drags the book down.

The thing that irked me the most is this totally idiotic idea that the captains of military starships seems to have to go around and barter for spare parts themselves. I do not understand how a writer can come up with such an idiotic idea. A
Traummachine
Dec 13, 2012 Traummachine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in this series. I'm only slightly a Star Trek fan, but I still wish I hadn't been told beforehand that these were originally slated to be Star Trek episodes, because I might not have made some connections. But even knowing that "warp", "illogical", and "torpedoes" were retained from the Trekiverse, this still felt like a fresh, original story. It's classic Gerrold, and I love the new setting he created for this series.

I didn't expect this to have so little combat, and it was a
Kernos
Feb 24, 2011 Kernos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a famously compelling space opera by the screen writer of Star Trek's The Trouble with Tribbles.

The basic plot, the adventures of a space ship and crew in an interstellar war, is standard fare with interesting variations and strategic discussions.

But, the characters really stand out and do what so many humans have trouble with, they actually grow throughout the 4 books. And, their growth is verifiably and realistically due to their life experiences.

It is what Star Trek could have, shou
Gregor Eder
Apr 13, 2014 Gregor Eder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great Military-SciFi series with a mixture of Action, Science, Emotion and Humor. This is not the clean Future of Star Trek nore a dystopic one, but a realistic.
Chris
May 01, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. The sexuality is decidedly somewhat odd, but less than the Dillengeriad -- in fact not out of normal bounds for the genre, much less vampire novels.
Pumpkin
Gerrold creates a complete and fascinating future space-traveling world. But his characters are what keeps me reading his books.
Bonnie
Oct 29, 2012 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very good, hard to put down
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Igor
Igor added it
Jan 28, 2016
Nathan Fluegel
Nathan Fluegel rated it liked it
Luke Bell
Luke Bell marked it as to-read
Willie J
Willie J rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Leif Adams
Leif Adams rated it really liked it
John Nuck
John Nuck marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Eyvind
Eyvind rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Eric
Eric added it
Dec 29, 2015
Reelika Raimet
Reelika Raimet marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Lance Roberts
Lance Roberts rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Clayton L Pelon
Clayton L Pelon rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2015
Stardreamer
Stardreamer marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it did not like it
Nov 21, 2015
Robert Freeman
Robert Freeman rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2015
  • Night Lamp
  • Starborne
  • The Great Time Machine Hoax
  • A World of Difference
  • Cycle of Fire
  • The Rebel Worlds (Flandry, #3)
  • Quiet Knives (Adventures in the Liaden Universe, #9)
  • The Returned, Part I (Star Trek: New Frontier)
  • General Practice: A Sector General Omnibus (Sector General, #7-8)
  • The Other End of Time
  • Foreign Legions (Earth Legions, #2)
  • Starplex
  • Master Sergeant: The Makaum War: Book One
  • The Kassa Gambit

Star Wolf (5 books)
  • Star Hunt (Star Wolf, #1)
  • The Voyage of the Star Wolf (Star Wolf, #2)
  • Blood and Fire (Star Wolf, #4)
  • Tales of the Star Wolf (Omnibus, #2-4)