Start by marking “Lemon” as Want to Read:
Lemon

Lemon

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Lemon is the story of the passionate love between a man and a citrus fruit, told with a fluid mixture of prose, drama, and about twenty pages of rhymed couplets. Krauser's inimitable style is at once richly convoluted and light as air. Krauser has also written the plays Wall Street Made Simple and Horrible Child.
Published May 1st 2002 by McSweeney's (first published January 15th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Lemon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lemon

rebecca
Jul 24, 2008 rebecca rated it really liked it
i bought this for my dad a long time ago. it is weird. the cover is hand-painted by the author. needless to say my dad never read it. once it enabled me to say something smart about lemon tree cultivation to a stranger in a garden at an awkward moment that may or may not have been made even more awkward by my showing off knowledge. smudge pots.
Valerie
Apr 18, 2013 Valerie rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2013
a dude effs a lemon
Maxwell Harwitt
Mar 07, 2013 Maxwell Harwitt rated it it was ok
Sometimes fun read, but also the epitome of Master's In English fiction (I have no idea if the author actually holds this degree). The author conjured an absurdist platform for exploring an imagined psychology. The development of the obsession the main character has with the citrus seems really lazy, as if the author had already spent an advance and just wanted to get it over with. There is also no journalistic impulse in the story. You get the sense that the author has very little in the way of ...more
Joel
Apr 09, 2010 Joel rated it it was ok
I almost feel bad giving this two stars. It's not that it's a bad book, but it didn't work for me. I thought the writing was intriguing and exhibited skill. There were stretches that I found really engaging. But ultimately this was more poem than story--and it just didn't work for me. Not as a whole, anyway. I don't regret reading it, but my time would have been better served elsewhere.

On the other hand, I could totally understand someone else giving it five stars. This book is definitely a ques
Molly
Jan 15, 2012 Molly rated it liked it
The memory of this book still occasionally sends a little shudder down my spine whenever love turns frantic or a ritual to turns to compulsion. The unfolding of the story is compassionate and gentle, its content mortifying and unflinching while sometimes managing to just be nice. Like a consuming love that doesn't last, I'd forgotten about this book completely until a moment ago, and then remembered that I feel something residual from it quite often. This will happen again, I'm sure.
Ron
Apr 22, 2007 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I obsessively bought seven copies of this book for the hand-drawn covers. I was thinking of starting a flickr pool to collect which ones are scattered all over the place. If you're interested, send me a message.
Alex
Oct 06, 2011 Alex rated it it was ok
There is a part of me that believes I might give this book the benefit of the doubt... a two and a half seems fair, or at least some scratch above the two-star mark. I've always felt a rating system that doesn't allow for halves, or at least go to ten, to give a wider gradation, is a bit unfair. Every book is potentially vastly different from the next, and how I feel about two books of similar quality is going to be equally different. Factoring in questions of avant-garde, difficult-yet-importan ...more
Lorraine
On the back cover of this book is the lone description of its contents: "One man's tale of possession." Intriguing, and then you find that the self-absorbed and insolent main character is possessed by a citrus fruit. And yet, this book is somehow still likeable - part epic poem to a lemon, part parody of the romantic novel, and part waste of time. The cover image is hand-drawn, which is pretty great. Otherwise, this book can only really be loved in snippets of really well written lines.
Beuysjoycean
Mar 13, 2008 Beuysjoycean rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to this book by its personalized cover, Lawrence Krauser illustrated the first 10,000 copies of the book himself. I've since purchased a second (and third copy) with the blank white, untouched face, just because I find it to be such an interesting concept in book jacket design. The writing was masterful as well, a very unconventional topic, expressed with great intelligence. Totally captured my twisted heart.
Misty Cripps
Jun 06, 2011 Misty Cripps rated it really liked it
What can you say about a book about a man's love affair with a lemon? The writing was wonderful, and I had some hope toward the middle-end of the book that this would reveal some sort of existential truth about love and life and fruit. Sometimes a lemon is just a lemon.
Matt Musselman
Mar 13, 2011 Matt Musselman rated it really liked it
I hesitate a little to give this book four stars: it's bizarre, disturbing, and gross. But it was compelling to read, and it's stuck in my mind ever since, so it certainly packs a punch. Just don't consider this a recommendation, exactly.
Kirsten
Oct 10, 2007 Kirsten rated it liked it
it's a strange one folks. you really need to ask yourself before you read this book, do i want to spend a few hours reading about a man in love with a lemon?
Jill
Oct 14, 2013 Jill rated it liked it
Clever and funny in some parts, too artsy for its own good in others. I'm glad it was not any longer than it was.
Windy
Jun 15, 2012 Windy rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-in-2012
Didn't know what I was getting into with this one. Just so you know, the man falls in love with the lemon.
Mike
Mar 02, 2007 Mike rated it liked it
Who would have ever thought that a story about a man falling in love with a lemon would be entertaining?
Ignacio Nova
Nov 15, 2009 Ignacio Nova rated it really liked it
A fantastic mindbender, I like the way this book makes me experience reality on its own terms.
Alison Coffey
Jun 24, 2008 Alison Coffey rated it it was ok
Hmmmm. strange. kinda perverse. didn't quite connect with it. It's about a lemon.
Amanda
Oct 25, 2010 Amanda rated it liked it
Just couldn't quite get past the weird quotation/punctuation (or lack thereof)
Liorah Hoek
Jul 31, 2013 Liorah Hoek rated it liked it
Past op het plankje met bizarre boeken. Man heeft relatie met citroen.
Clark
May 12, 2012 Clark rated it liked it
Shelves: made-ups
Dude fucks a lemon. Pretty okay if you ask me.
kira
Jun 01, 2007 kira rated it liked it
Original and strange and beautifully written.

Jamie Hill
Nov 05, 2008 Jamie Hill rated it it was amazing
Love comes in all shapes and sizes..
Tyler Beamon
Jul 25, 2012 Tyler Beamon rated it really liked it
Like Lolita but with a lemon.
Kelly Devine
Kelly Devine rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
Lou Last
Lou Last rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
Mary Hoch
Mary Hoch marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Adam
Adam rated it it was ok
May 02, 2016
James Jacobs
James Jacobs marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Simon Harper
Simon Harper marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • McSweeney's #17
  • The Neal Pollack Anthology of American Literature: The Collected Writings of Neal Pollack
  • I.
  • Shiny Adidas Tracksuits and the Death of Camp and Other Essays from Might Magazine
  • Misadventure
  • This Shape We're In

“There was a time when our desire for each other would have landed us in an asylum or prison, had it not been sanctioned by mutual assent. True or false.” 59 likes
“A low thrum in his gut. Love. What is the measure of such a thing? Love, or the word love, is like an elusive jungle bird that because it is so durable has thousands of mimics and camouflaged neighbors.” 7 likes