4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  824 ratings  ·  112 reviews
Lemons are not Red. Apples are red. Lemons are yellow. . . .

Clever cutouts in the pages make a simple, original, and utterly beguiling introduction to color.

Laura Vaccaro Seeger, whose The Hidden Alphabet dazzled critics and readers alike, introduces young children to color in this unique concept book with die cuts. The opening spread features a big, bright red lemon and t...more
Published August 22nd 2006 by Square Fish (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lemons Are Not Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lemons Are Not Red

Fjóla
Jun 26, 2012 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2 - 5 year olds, learning colors, learning to read
A great, non trivial concept book about colors. A toddler or preschooler will find it funny and enjoy the die-cuts in the pages. The illustrations are very vivid and fleshy. I in particular liked the picture of the people through the window in the lit up house in the end, those turning into a vibrant tree as you turned the page, while the light in the house went dark. It's a great early reader book too, the illustrations will help the reader. If you liked this one, you'll probably also like Firs...more
Kristina Charnecki
Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Genre: Concept Picture Book

This picture book introduces young children to color in a simplistic way by first making certain objects, such as a lemon, a different color, and then showing the right color by the flipping of a page.

a.) A major strength of this book is the interaction between the book and the reader through the organization of the colored pages and the cut outs.
b.) The organization of the story and colored pages is fantastically done; the cut...more
Melanie Soble
1. This book would fall under the category of a picture book, concept.
2. Lemons definitely are not red – but what color are they? This book explores colors to decide what colors are and are not possible.
3. critique
a. The strongest part of this book is its game-like quality.
b. The book is set up as a game of it’s not this, so what is it? The book uses cutouts to pose the original question or statement like “Lemons are not red.” This simple statement allows the reader to try to guess what colo...more
Kelly
1. Concept Picture Book

2. This picture for young children and describes how some objects are certain colors while others are related to that object but a completely different color.

3. a.) Contrasting color objects
b.) The author/illustrator did a great job of selecting the objects for this concept picture book.
c.) The objects selected for contrast are very closely related. For example: Fruits, vegetables, winter objects, the night, etc. These objects however are completely different colors. I fe...more
Lisa Mason
1. A concept book about colors.

2. In this book, Laura Vaccaro introduces the reader to twelve different colors. As each color is introduced a ‘not’ statement is made about the color of an object familiar to children like lemons, or grass, or snowmen. Once the reader understands what color the object is ‘not’, they turn the page to discover the object’s true color.

3. a. Design – b. The design of this concept book is especially unique. It encourages young readers to ask questions of themselves and...more
Jenna Satcher
1.This picture book belongs to the Concept Book category.

2. In this book, Seeger introduces the reader to twelve colors. The colors are explored by showing the readers items of varying colors using creative cutouts. The book explores the colors of fruit, vegetables, animals, the sky and more!

3.Critique
A)The design of this book includes cut-outs which engages the reader with the text and encourages the reader to make predictions using clues in the text.

B)The design of this book allows interaction...more
Rhiannon Hubble
1. Genre: Concept (Colors)

2. This book explores colors by showing and explaining which objects are not specific colors, and which object are those colors.

3. A. Area for comment: Format/Design

B. This book is unique in that the author/illustrator Laura Seeger portrays a variety of objects as the colors they are NOT as well as the colors they actually are. The reader is allowed to get a multidimensional definition and physical view of each object changing from the color it isn't into the color tha...more
Mary
What a great book! Readers will learn their colors by seeing the incorrect color first and then, eureka! The right color! Bright illustrations and die cuts add to the fun of turning each page until, finally, it's time to say goodnight! Great for toddlers and pre-schoolers alike.

CIP Summary:
None. From the book jacket: Laura Vaccaro Seeger introduces young children to the world of color in this simple, original, and utterly beguiling book.

From Kirkus:
A few words, a handful of brilliant colors and...more
Jade Nguyen

1. { Genre }: Concept

2. { Summary }: Lemons are not red, lemons are yellow. Learning colors through cut-outs.

3a. { Area for comment }: Design

3b. { Critique }: A minimalistic yet effective way to express/teach colors.

3c. { Critique Example }:Another great cut-out book! This book is designed in such a way that expresses a false statement of color and when you flip the page it reveals the true color of the object. If the lemon is not red, then an apple is, but the apple’s true color isn’t revealed...more
Lindsay
This is one of the better books about colors I have used for bilingual story time. It features fun cut-outs. A review from the School Library Journal does a way better job about explaining the cut-outs and how the book is laid out: "The first spread reads, "Lemons are not/ RED." The word "RED" appears on a bright yellow page beneath the die-cut shape of a lemon with a red background showing through. When the page is turned, the die-cut shape falls on the correct yellow background, with the words...more
Emily
Summary (WorldCat):A simple story highlights such things as a yellow lemon, a pink flamingo, and a silver moon in a visual game in which die-cut shapes fall on the correct color backgrounds.

Review: A color concept book,is fun becaust it can be interactive. It would be fun for the readers or listeners to correct or laugh at the obvious mis-matched colors. Of course lemons are not read...how hilarious. The color illustrations are vibrant and the cutouts add to the story structure and visual intere...more
Ashley Campbell
Lemons are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a great read for children who are learning their colors. The interactiveness of this book helps children evaluate which colors belong on which objects (ex. lemons are not red...obviously). The illustrations are very simple but I believe that this is beneficial considering the age range that this book is targeting. Children learning their colors need simple objects to correlate with.
Overall, I would give this book 4 stars because I believe it is fun...more
Heather
A short little book that's useful for the toddler/preschool/early reader set. There are short sentences on each page: "Lemons are not RED." "Lemons are YELLOW." "Apples are RED."

With peek-a-book cutouts on the pages, children are able to see the colors being referred to, which is helpful in reinforcing the learning of colors for younger children. It's also great for pre- and early readers, who can associate the words with the simple pictures and the repetitive words "not" and "are".

We'd borrow t...more
Catey Steele
Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a really good example of a concept book showing the concept of colors to young readers. It showed a fun comparison of different objects with crazy colors, like red lemons or purple carrots. I would definitely show this book to younger readers like in preschool or kindergarten. I think they would find it kind of funny to see the crazy colors that it shows the objects. it was very thought out because when you flip the page in the other way then it show...more
Jess
Mar 12, 2012 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddler, preschool, & kindergarten storytimes
Lemons are not red. Lemons are yellow, apples are red. And away you go!

Fun with colors and cut outs. Two years in a row preschool kids have asked me to reread it the moment I finished reading. There's enough of a pattern that they can help "read" it. So there you go.

My one gripe: I don't get the progression: we move from lemons to deer to snowmen, to night time. Yes, we're hitting the colors. Yes, I like it. But yes, I'd like it better if the progression made sense to me.
J-Lynn
This is a fun read aloud for children trying to solidify their concepts of color. Each right page has an outline of an object (like a lemon) that allows the reader to peak at the following page. The text is repeptitive and simple..."Lemons are not red, lemons are yellow, apples are red" and "Flamingos are not gray, flamingos are pink, elephants are gray." And the end of the book tells the reader good night.

Each page has bright, simple pictures.
Jess Brown
"Lemons are not red. Lemons are yellow, apples are red." And so the book progresses, showing us one this in the color that it is not, explaining/showing the correct color and something that is truly in that color. I can immediately see the appeal of this book to toddlers and preschoolers. Clear, simple illustrations of colors, with unique cut-outs that add something to the visual interest help make this the perfect book for little ones.
Asho
Loving the "colors" books we got from the library this week, including this one. This is a cleverly-designed book with cut-out images that change color as you turn the page, from the "wrong" color to the proper color. The text is simple, but it's really fun to play with. My baby enjoyed it a lot, although he's so little that I had to really watch him to keep him from grabbing at and tearing the cut out pages.
Fatima

Children will like a color concept book Because it is fun. It teaches children the incorrect color of fruits such as lemons are not red and oranges are not gray. It provokes children laughter and arguments about the incorrect colors of fruits. Teachers can teach the color concept for preschool children and grade one and two students.

David Natiuk
Charming picture book that my 5-year old instantly fell in love with. Die-cut pages first show the wrong color for something, and then you flip the page to show the correct color. Makes you smile with the hilarious combos of colors, as well as a little bit of "magic" to see how each page resolves itself.

Great little surprise from the library!
Megan
This is a book I'd like to own eventually. It's just really clever. I love the cut outs that are used to contrast different colors (for both the correct and incorrect colors for each object). The last page is especially neat, my husband had to point out the people in the window! (Which turn out to be just part of the tree on the next page)
Anna Francesca
This is a terrific book for learning/ reinforcing color-knowledge as it uses cut-outs in the pages to let kids play a guessing game as they read. While there is no linear plot, it is still a fun book to sit down with, and I can see kids wanting to read it multiple times.
Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
Kids love this mixed up book. I usually keep this read to preK and K. I have the kids try to guess what might be on the next page. Sometimes they need a little prompting, but usually someone in the group guesses right.
Ellen Brandt
Curriculum tie-in; 'Color Words'. The kindergarten students were proud to help me read the book. )By the end, they were reading it to me instead of vice-versa)
Laurie
Citation: Lemons Are Not Red, by Laura Vaccaro Seeger. (Roaring Book Press, 2004). 32p. Concept Book.

Summary: This book introduces color in a whole new way. The die cut illustrations offer a glimpse of the object that counteracts the text on the page, requiring you to think about what it is that you are reading.

Critique: (a.) The illustrations make this book successful. They present the concept in a way that tricks the eye and invites greater reader participation.

(b.) Each object in the book is...more
Becky
Genre: Picturebook – Concept

Summary: A concept book mainly to teach colors, this book creatively blends together textures, colors, and cut-outs of fruits and animals.

Literary Critique: (a.) Design
(b.) The design of Lemons Are Not Red is effective for teaching not only the concept of colors but higher thinking skills as well.
(c.) Lemons Are Not Red is full of surprises beginning with the actual cover of the book. In taking a peek, I found that the cover is much more delightful than the bright yel...more

1- Genre: Concept

2- This is a starting book for colors. Seeger does a creative job showing what a certain item’s true colors should be and what they are not.

3- (a) Media/Style used for the illustrations.
(b) Throughout the story Seeger has used two styles to depict her illustrations. One side, her side to show color, is a rich color page that is painted on canvas and on her opposing side a cut out of the item she is describing. When the cut out is flipped to the correct color,...more
Lacey Luce
By Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Seeger, L. (2006). Lemons are not red. New York,NY: Square Fish.

1.Concept Picture Book

2.This book shows pictures and cut outs of a variety of objects related to colors. It shows the reader what color objects are as well as what color objects aren’t. “A lemon is not red, A lemon is yellow.”

3.Creativity

b. This book is very creative with the cut out pictures of the objects that the book is talking about. Young children love books that have a little somethin...more
Katelan Mccullum
This book is absolutely perfect for children that are working with and learning about colors for the first time. I would say the ideal age group would be preschool-kindergarten. The illustrations are rich in color and pop out to the reader's eye. I love that the entire book goes from saying a certain object such as "a lemon" is not red and then the next page states what color the object really is. I also found it intersting that there is a cut out of each object that aligns with both the wrong a...more
Dolly
Dec 18, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens
We recently read the book Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger and we really loved the vivid colors, the strategically placed cutouts and the overall theme. So we checked out the catalog at our local library to see what other books we could read by her.

This book has much of the same style, but has a linked theme of different colored items. It's not so much of a story, but compares the typical color for an item with another, markedly contrasting color.

I preferred Green, but overall, it's a fun book to...more
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Blue Goose
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • Shape by Shape
  • Where is the Green Sheep?
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • What Color Is Your Underwear?
  • Color Zoo
  • Lunch
  • A Good Day
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Shark In The Park
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • The Thingamabob
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne...more
More about Laura Vaccaro Seeger...
Green First the Egg One Boy Bully Dog and Bear: Two Friends, Three Stories