Start by marking “Lemons Are Not Red” as Want to Read:
Lemons Are Not Red

Lemons Are Not Red

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  1,097 ratings  ·  128 reviews
Lemons are not Red. Apples are red. Lemons are yellow. . . .

Clever cutouts in the pages make a simple, original, and utterly beguiling introduction to color.

Laura Vaccaro Seeger, whose The Hidden Alphabet dazzled critics and readers alike, introduces young children to color in this unique concept book with die cuts. The opening spread features a big, bright red lemon and t
Published August 22nd 2006 by Square Fish (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Lemons Are Not Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lemons Are Not Red

Jun 26, 2012 Fjóla rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 2 - 5 year olds, learning colors, learning to read
A great, non trivial concept book about colors. A toddler or preschooler will find it funny and enjoy the die-cuts in the pages. The illustrations are very vivid and fleshy. I in particular liked the picture of the people through the window in the lit up house in the end, those turning into a vibrant tree as you turned the page, while the light in the house went dark. It's a great early reader book too, the illustrations will help the reader. If you liked this one, you'll probably also like Firs ...more
Kristina Charnecki
Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
Genre: Concept Picture Book

This picture book introduces young children to color in a simplistic way by first making certain objects, such as a lemon, a different color, and then showing the right color by the flipping of a page.

a.) A major strength of this book is the interaction between the book and the reader through the organization of the colored pages and the cut outs.
b.) The organization of the story and colored pages is fantastically done; the cut
Melanie Soble
1. This book would fall under the category of a picture book, concept.
2. Lemons definitely are not red – but what color are they? This book explores colors to decide what colors are and are not possible.
3. critique
a. The strongest part of this book is its game-like quality.
b. The book is set up as a game of it’s not this, so what is it? The book uses cutouts to pose the original question or statement like “Lemons are not red.” This simple statement allows the reader to try to guess what colo
1. Concept Picture Book

2. This picture for young children and describes how some objects are certain colors while others are related to that object but a completely different color.

3. a.) Contrasting color objects
b.) The author/illustrator did a great job of selecting the objects for this concept picture book.
c.) The objects selected for contrast are very closely related. For example: Fruits, vegetables, winter objects, the night, etc. These objects however are completely different colors. I fe
Lisa Mason
1. A concept book about colors.

2. In this book, Laura Vaccaro introduces the reader to twelve different colors. As each color is introduced a ‘not’ statement is made about the color of an object familiar to children like lemons, or grass, or snowmen. Once the reader understands what color the object is ‘not’, they turn the page to discover the object’s true color.

3. a. Design – b. The design of this concept book is especially unique. It encourages young readers to ask questions of themselves and
Jenna Satcher
1.This picture book belongs to the Concept Book category.

2. In this book, Seeger introduces the reader to twelve colors. The colors are explored by showing the readers items of varying colors using creative cutouts. The book explores the colors of fruit, vegetables, animals, the sky and more!

A)The design of this book includes cut-outs which engages the reader with the text and encourages the reader to make predictions using clues in the text.

B)The design of this book allows interaction
Rhiannon Hubble
1. Genre: Concept (Colors)

2. This book explores colors by showing and explaining which objects are not specific colors, and which object are those colors.

3. A. Area for comment: Format/Design

B. This book is unique in that the author/illustrator Laura Seeger portrays a variety of objects as the colors they are NOT as well as the colors they actually are. The reader is allowed to get a multidimensional definition and physical view of each object changing from the color it isn't into the color tha
What a great book! Readers will learn their colors by seeing the incorrect color first and then, eureka! The right color! Bright illustrations and die cuts add to the fun of turning each page until, finally, it's time to say goodnight! Great for toddlers and pre-schoolers alike.

CIP Summary:
None. From the book jacket: Laura Vaccaro Seeger introduces young children to the world of color in this simple, original, and utterly beguiling book.

From Kirkus:
A few words, a handful of brilliant colors and
Jade Nguyen

1. { Genre }: Concept

2. { Summary }: Lemons are not red, lemons are yellow. Learning colors through cut-outs.

3a. { Area for comment }: Design

3b. { Critique }: A minimalistic yet effective way to express/teach colors.

3c. { Critique Example }:Another great cut-out book! This book is designed in such a way that expresses a false statement of color and when you flip the page it reveals the true color of the object. If the lemon is not red, then an apple is, but the apple’s true color isn’t revealed
This is one of the better books about colors I have used for bilingual story time. It features fun cut-outs. A review from the School Library Journal does a way better job about explaining the cut-outs and how the book is laid out: "The first spread reads, "Lemons are not/ RED." The word "RED" appears on a bright yellow page beneath the die-cut shape of a lemon with a red background showing through. When the page is turned, the die-cut shape falls on the correct yellow background, with the words ...more
Summary (WorldCat):A simple story highlights such things as a yellow lemon, a pink flamingo, and a silver moon in a visual game in which die-cut shapes fall on the correct color backgrounds.

Review: A color concept book,is fun becaust it can be interactive. It would be fun for the readers or listeners to correct or laugh at the obvious mis-matched colors. Of course lemons are not hilarious. The color illustrations are vibrant and the cutouts add to the story structure and visual intere
Erin Look
Perfect for 2-3 year old read aloud. Keeps the kid guessing about the different colors while giving them clear hints!
Awesome! The kids got really involved with this one. They said it was their favourite of what I read today.
Ashley Campbell
Lemons are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a great read for children who are learning their colors. The interactiveness of this book helps children evaluate which colors belong on which objects (ex. lemons are not red...obviously). The illustrations are very simple but I believe that this is beneficial considering the age range that this book is targeting. Children learning their colors need simple objects to correlate with.
Overall, I would give this book 4 stars because I believe it is fun
A short little book that's useful for the toddler/preschool/early reader set. There are short sentences on each page: "Lemons are not RED." "Lemons are YELLOW." "Apples are RED."

With peek-a-book cutouts on the pages, children are able to see the colors being referred to, which is helpful in reinforcing the learning of colors for younger children. It's also great for pre- and early readers, who can associate the words with the simple pictures and the repetitive words "not" and "are".

We'd borrow t
This book's primary appeal is the cutout style of every other page. "Lemons are not RED," a yellow page claims, while the other yellow page of the layout displays a red lemon in the center. As you turn the page, however, you see that the cutout was simply showing the red on the page to come; when the page is turned, the lemon cutout is filled in with the yellow of the previous page, and the statement "Lemons are not RED" is clarified: "Lemons are YELLOW / Apples are RED." This pattern continues, ...more
Morgan Hawkins
Lemons are not Red by Laura Seeger was a very good book for teaching what color an object is and is not. The book has many different objects in it, ex: lemon, elephant, and moon. On each page it shows you an object (lemon) that is the wrong color (red) but then you flip the page and it shows you the correct color (yellow) but then it tells you what object the wrong color belongs to (apple). The book goes through many different objects and then ends on the moon and the lights being turned off in ...more
Mar 12, 2012 Jess rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddler, preschool, & kindergarten storytimes
Lemons are not red. Lemons are yellow, apples are red. And away you go!

Fun with colors and cut outs. Two years in a row preschool kids have asked me to reread it the moment I finished reading. There's enough of a pattern that they can help "read" it. So there you go.

My one gripe: I don't get the progression: we move from lemons to deer to snowmen, to night time. Yes, we're hitting the colors. Yes, I like it. But yes, I'd like it better if the progression made sense to me.
This is a fun read aloud for children trying to solidify their concepts of color. Each right page has an outline of an object (like a lemon) that allows the reader to peak at the following page. The text is repeptitive and simple..."Lemons are not red, lemons are yellow, apples are red" and "Flamingos are not gray, flamingos are pink, elephants are gray." And the end of the book tells the reader good night.

Each page has bright, simple pictures.
Jess Brown
"Lemons are not red. Lemons are yellow, apples are red." And so the book progresses, showing us one this in the color that it is not, explaining/showing the correct color and something that is truly in that color. I can immediately see the appeal of this book to toddlers and preschoolers. Clear, simple illustrations of colors, with unique cut-outs that add something to the visual interest help make this the perfect book for little ones.
Loving the "colors" books we got from the library this week, including this one. This is a cleverly-designed book with cut-out images that change color as you turn the page, from the "wrong" color to the proper color. The text is simple, but it's really fun to play with. My baby enjoyed it a lot, although he's so little that I had to really watch him to keep him from grabbing at and tearing the cut out pages.
Mercedes Enciso
Seeger, L. (2006). Lemons Are Not Red. New York: Square Fish.

Lemons Are Not Red by Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a fun children’s book that introduces them to different colors. The fun cutouts in the pages let you know what color is coming up next. It also lets you know if that color belongs to a certain object or not. For example, does the color red belong to a lemon or an apple? This book can be a fun visual game for children as they try to guess what color is coming up and what objects it could be.

Children will like a color concept book Because it is fun. It teaches children the incorrect color of fruits such as lemons are not red and oranges are not gray. It provokes children laughter and arguments about the incorrect colors of fruits. Teachers can teach the color concept for preschool children and grade one and two students.

David Natiuk
Charming picture book that my 5-year old instantly fell in love with. Die-cut pages first show the wrong color for something, and then you flip the page to show the correct color. Makes you smile with the hilarious combos of colors, as well as a little bit of "magic" to see how each page resolves itself.

Great little surprise from the library!
This is a book I'd like to own eventually. It's just really clever. I love the cut outs that are used to contrast different colors (for both the correct and incorrect colors for each object). The last page is especially neat, my husband had to point out the people in the window! (Which turn out to be just part of the tree on the next page)
Anna Francesca
This is a terrific book for learning/ reinforcing color-knowledge as it uses cut-outs in the pages to let kids play a guessing game as they read. While there is no linear plot, it is still a fun book to sit down with, and I can see kids wanting to read it multiple times.
Dearborn Public Library Youth Services
Kids love this mixed up book. I usually keep this read to preK and K. I have the kids try to guess what might be on the next page. Sometimes they need a little prompting, but usually someone in the group guesses right.
Emma Hoyer
Literature Requirement: **Picture Book #2 (concept book)**

This book is very simple, but that’s definitely ok! It’s a concept book, discussing color. I think that it’s a very fun, unique, and creative way to introduce color, especially as words. There are cutouts, and the way that the book is illustrated and where the cutouts are placed is genius! I really enjoyed being able to just quickly flip through this book and enjoy it as much as I did! Usually, I would find books like this boring and poin
Courtney Cole
This story is very interesting because there is a lot of information in it. The story is simply stating objects that are not the color and then when you flip the page, they are the correct color and then show the object color and what its right object should be. For example: reindeer are not white (flip page) reindeer are brown. Snowmen are white. This is a concept learning book because the child will learn the concepts of objects and their corresponding color to match. This book should be used ...more
Ellen Brandt
Curriculum tie-in; 'Color Words'. The kindergarten students were proud to help me read the book. )By the end, they were reading it to me instead of vice-versa)
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Blue Goose
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Baby Bear Sees Blue
  • Little Green Peas: A Big Book of Colors
  • Shape by Shape
  • This Little Chick
  • Lunch
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Cat's Colors
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • A Good Day
  • Hello Baby!
  • One Pup's Up
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne
More about Laura Vaccaro Seeger...
Green First the Egg One Boy Bully Dog and Bear: Two Friends, Three Stories