Start by marking “The Red Lemon” as Want to Read:
The Red Lemon

The Red Lemon

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  259 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
In this thought-provoking tale reminiscent of Seuss, Farmer McPhee finds a red lemon in his orchard and cries, "It's red as a stop sign! It's red as a rose! I can't have red lemons where yellow fruit grows! Imagine a world where lemonade's red? Where once-yellow cupcakes are crimson instead?" As he tosses the red lemon across the water, he can't imagine that it will land o ...more
Published September 12th 2006 by Golden Books

To ask other readers questions about The Red Lemon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Lemon

Inspired Kathy
Mar 14, 2016 Inspired Kathy rated it it was amazing
Cute rhyming picture book. Fun bright illustrations. Short easy to read picture book.
Devan
Summary:
A pig owns a lemon farm, and he is extremely proud of it. One day he finds a red lemon. He throws it to an island because he does not want any red lemons. Two hundred years pass and that red lemon has grown into a red lemon forest. These lemons are much sweeter than normal lemons, and people from all over the world come to see the red lemon orchard.
Critique:
The title gives the impression that the story will be all about this red lemon, but instead the red lemon does not come in until two
Diane
Nov 04, 2015 Diane rated it it was amazing
"Wait just a minute! That one overhead! That lemon's not yellow. My goodness, it's red!"

Farmer McPhee casts the lone red lemon away, because he can't imagine a "world where lemonade is red." Two hundred years later, Farmer McPhee's lemon orchard is nothing but weeds. But the island where the red lemon was cast is now a thriving community whose biggest asset are their red lemon trees. Such a great message in simple form!

This would be a great read for staff development in both the education and co
Treasa
When Farmer McPhee finds a red lemon among his perfect yellow lemons, he throws it away, with unforeseen consequences.

I am a sucker for a good rhyming book, and this book definitely fit into that category. I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book, for as long as we were still focusing on Farmer McPhee. And then, all of a sudden, Farmer McPhee was no long part of the story. And that's when the book lost me. The two parts of the book felt completely disparate. If the second part of the book
Nov 06, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Genre- childrens book- contemporary realism
This book is about a farmer that spots a red lemon on his tree and throws it across the ocean. Years later his yellow lemon farm was weeds and the little island that he threw the red lemon on blossomed.
A. Area of comment- lesson portrayed
B. The lesson that Staake portrayed in this story was appropriate and intriguing. It teaches the reader to not be afraid of change or the uncommon. It also encourages someone to evolve and be openminded to new ideas. Th
Scottsdale Public Library
In The Red Lemon, the farmer praises his yellow lemon orchard, but when he finds a red lemon, he tosses it away. But there's nothing wrong with being different and soon the red lemon's seed spreads into a red lemon orchard, admired by all. This adorable book provides a great way to discuss inclusion and individuality with children. -Megan M
Vanessa
Jul 30, 2015 Vanessa rated it really liked it
My daughter really enjoyed The Red Lemon when we picked it up at the library today. She loved the rhymes, and while most pages had more then just a few words, it wasn't so wordy that she lost interest. Not to mention I enjoyed the whimsical story. This is a children's book I will probably actually buy.
Destiny Dawn Long
So, I really liked this book (and my daughter did, too). It's got nice rhyming text and a whimsical story. I loved the celebration of lemons--and the outrage that Farmer McPhee felt upon discovering a strange red lemon in his orchard.

The reason it doesn't get 5 stars is that the sudden jump into the future was a little weird. After so much time with McPhee, we suddenly jump 200 years into the future, with McPhee and his orchard long gone--but the red lemon thriving.

It was a little jarring. And
Miss Sarah
May 06, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: yellow, red, lemons
preschool age but might be able to stretch to toddlers. Fund and moved quickly. A farmer is so excited about his yellow lemon trees and the big harvest but one tree has a red lemon. He throws it far away but what will happen to thee red lemon and is a red lemon bad?
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Feb 02, 2013 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it it was amazing
Staake has created something special here. First, let me address the illustrations. They seem simple but Staake used graphic design techniques on a computer to design illustrations that are pleasing to toddlers but still appealing and engaging for older readers. That amount of effort into the design really attests to the quality of the author and the book.

The verse is playful but I am most intrigued by the story because I feel as if there could be many interpretations made. Perhaps, being accept
Alexandria Hiam
Farmer McPhee's yellow lemons are ready to be picked and made into lemonade, pies, and muffins, but when a red lemon is found in the crop and discarded, it eventually yields some surprises.
A
Mar 14, 2016 A rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Farmer McPhee is a lemon tree farmer. His beautiful yellow lemons make delicious foods and drinks for people to enjoy. One day, he discovers a red lemon on a tree and, horrified by the drastic change, throws it over the sea and onto a deserted island. Two hundred years later, the island is a vibrant city and the red lemons are proven to be sweet and delicious. A good message about trying new things and letting go of expectations.

Bob Staake's flawless, bouncing rhymes give a lot of energy to his
Karen
Aug 01, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Instead of trying to explain why I like this book, I decided to write down what my little boy said when we first read this book: "Wow", "Beautiful", "Delicious", "Awesome", "This is wonderful."

If you still want more information on why I bought this book, I could tell you how we've read this story almost every day, and usually more than once a day; how I had to hide it to write this review; how Bob Staake is my new favorite author/illustrator for the preschool set; how delectably brilliant the il
Erin
The rhymes in this one are a little shorter and snappier than in The Donut Chef. The bold geometric illustrations are the same, though, and the combination would probably work for a successful storytime.
Angela
Best for kids ages 4 and up
Early Literacy Skills: Print Motivation, Vocabulary, Phonological Awareness, Narrative Skills

From cover:
Over the hills and along the blue sea, "The lemons are ready!" shouts Farmer McPhee.
But Farmer McPhee isn't ready for what he's about to discover: among the bright yellow fruit is ... a red lemon! "Who'd squeeze this red thing in their afternoon tea? Who'd buy a red lemon from Farmer McPhee?" he cries, just before he throws it out of his field.
But the isn't the end o
george
Sep 28, 2008 george rated it liked it
Farmer McPhee is proud of his lemons that he grows for all to enjoy. But one day he finds the strangest thing: a red lemon growing amongst all the gorgeous yellow lemons. Furious at this invasion, Farmer McPhee tosses the red lemon far away in the middle of the sea thinking that no one would ever want a red lemon. Little does he know that the red lemon lands on a small island and grows into a red lemon grove. And years later, those red lemons will be celebrated more than any old yellow lemons.

Cu
Phyllis
Nov 13, 2014 Phyllis rated it really liked it
Excellent illustrations and the poetic text combine to create this must read picture book!
Sylvester
Aug 27, 2015 Sylvester rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, squirt, 2015
3* art
3* story/rhyme

Awesome colours and a perfect rhyme, fun to read out loud.
Owlsome Readers
AR Level: 2.2
Points Value: 0.5
AR Quiz No. 110252
Kathy Ellen Davis
Apr 20, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Is it just me, or do I love this book because that red lemon is different but still has something awesome to offer?

I also love the rhyme and the illustrations.
And the island of the red lemons.

I read this to a little girl,
And she said,
"And now, what if one of those red lemon trees had a yellow lemon and they threw it back over there?"

I thought that would be an interesting companion book!
Emerson and Theodore
May 07, 2012 Emerson and Theodore rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
This is a cute book with digital drawings. Very sharp. A nice rhyming story. Good moral about how the farmer was horrified when he discovered a RED lemon and banished it from the farm. Years later, the red lemon had repopulated the grove and they were the best lemons. There were a few farm trucks in this book so Emerson tolerated it.
Emma
Nov 18, 2009 Emma rated it really liked it
A farmer keeps a lemon orchard where all the lemons are yellow and everyone loves them. One day, the farmer finds a red lemon growing on his tree and tosses it away. But what happens when all the yellow lemon orchards are gone?

I am particularly fond of the illustrations in this one.
Littledreams
Feb 05, 2011 Littledreams rated it it was amazing
This is a very innovative story, where reality meets fantasy, imagination runs while but not so much of a fairytale. This is a great book for teaching children Math, with almost every illustration is circular and there's a great deal of emphasis on the colours red & yellow.
Pam
Oct 13, 2013 Pam rated it it was amazing
I love the rhyming in this book - great to read aloud. The illustrations are colorful and engaging with each page having a special design. I reread this many times just to enjoy the design over and over! Even the end papers pull you right into the story from the start.
Erin
May 04, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Farmer McPhee is happy as can be with his grove of yellow lemons. When he finds a red lemon on a tree, he throws it to an island off the coast. From that one red lemon, 20 trees grow, and people come from far and wide to taste the sweet, sweet taste of the ripe, red lemons.
Jay Bushara
Feb 13, 2013 Jay Bushara rated it it was amazing
Staake's palate and bubbly landscapes are probably equal to hypnotizing even the youngest of readers, but here is also a stirring little fable about the magic of thinking differently. This might be a classic. But then it would be too easy to find.
Emily
Mar 01, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Simple story, with simple clever drawings. It's a cute book that I would read over and over again with my daughter. I like that it has a message to try new things, don't discard something just because it is different from what you are used to.
Amy
Jun 16, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This was a surprisingly good, fun story! The kids *loved* the bold colors and bold shapes that made up the pictures in this book, and they both enjoyed the idea of a red lemon. The only problem is, now they want to try one. :-)
Stephanie Allen
Sep 29, 2011 Stephanie Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book uses rhyming to tell of a lemon farmer who finds a red lemon. He throws the lemon across the water to an island where the lemon grows an orchard of red lemon trees. A teacher could use this to discuss rhyming and colors.
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!
  • My Friend, the Starfinder
  • The Sunflower Sword
  • Max's Dragon
  • Magic Box
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Hoooo!
  • The Ant and the Grasshopper
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Can You Growl Like a Bear?
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • Earth to Clunk
  • Meet Me at the Moon
  • The Flower Man
  • Believe Me, Goldilocks Rocks!: The Story of the Three Bears as Told by Baby Bear
  • A Particular Cow
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • Ladder To The Moon
Bob Staake has authored and/or illustrated more than forty-two books, including The Red Lemon, a New York Times Book Review Best Illustrated Children’s Book of the Year. His work has graced the cover of The New Yorker a dozen times, and his November 17, 2008 Barack Obama victory cover was named Best Magazine Cover of the Year by Time magazine. He lives on Cape Cod, in Massachusetts.
More about Bob Staake...