The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player: Becoming the Kind of Person Every Team Wants

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  490 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Leadership expert John C. Maxwell follows his best-selling "The Indisputable Laws of Teamwork" with this powerfully succinct companion book, "The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player. "He presents a clear analysis of the personal characteristics necessary for becoming an effective team player. Maxwell's detailed descriptions and many examples are easy to understand and...more
Published October 13th 2006 by Nelson Business (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player

Chris Ross
A really good book for yourself and your team. I like the bringing it home stories and the opening stories. I also like John Maxwell's writing & speaking style.
Jackie
This New York Times bestselling author has created a concise companion book to The 17 Essential Qualities of a Team Player. Teamwork is not just a buzzword, but an important part of any organization that wants to function well and prosper.

Of the 17 most important qualities of a successful team player that Maxwell mentions, I believe that adaptability, communicativeness, enthusiasm and competence are the most practical in the current business environment.

As mentioned, Maxwell covers 17 essentia...more
Lauren
Nov 25, 2008 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people in business, people on teams
I finally finished this tiny little book after having it sit on my shelf for many moons. It is a typical John Maxwell gem, full of easily digestible principles sprinkled with interesting and inspiring antecedents and real-life stories. Maxwell definitely has a formula for his writing, but it surprisingly works and is surprisingly effective as well. I liked it because it breaks down some ideas on what it takes to be a good team player, which is pretty essential in today's business environment. Wh...more
Chelsea
This was given to me by my Office Manager to read. I have to admit that I usually do not like these kinds of book, I much more into the fiction/fantasy genre. However, this is a pretty good book on teamwork and how to be a team player. I liked that with each trait that a teamplayer should have, there was an example of a 'famous' person who had that trait. However, I did not recognize a few of these famous people, either because they were athletes or because they were of an older generation. This...more
Kathleen Anderson
Excellent book, and very inspiring. I am glad it was chosen as a book club read or I'd probably never have heard of it. I like the layout of each chapter...they begin with a story of a real life person who has had success in living the quality being discussed. Some great background information about people, for example the lady who started the Pleasant Company...the American history dolls & stories. The chapters end with challenges on how to put live the quality in your life. Thanks Cathy St...more
Nimit Patel
Love John Maxwell's philosophy on life and practical examples. BUT....this book is obviously not for someone who's already a good team player. I was expecting to gain some more in depth insight into how I can become a more effective team member but everything in this book is everything I already know and am doing. Wouldn't recommend this specific book.

One of the best books I've ever read though was Today Matters by John Maxwell. I recommend it to everyone.
Yubelkis Sandigo
It's a good book to read if you want to fine tune a number of skills in your profession. I suggest reading it a chapter at a time so you can truly digest and understand every quality that is being presented. These qualities are pretty obvious but reading each one you get a real sense of what each quality portrays and you have a chance to understand it and try to improve on it. We're all a continuous work of progress so I definitely recommend this one for the shelf.
Joel Mwakasege
Most of the time we might caught ourself with individualism in our daily activities.Though if you want to perform beyond what you can accomplish alone, you should consider asking someone else for a hand.

One is too smaller number to achieve greatness.
- John Maxwell.

You can possess those qualities of a team player today.

In this Maxwell book, you will come to realize nobody is the whole team we need each other.
Mike
Great discussion on teamwork.
Olivia
A solid book that I find myself referring to from time to time. It is decided into chapters, each focusing on one principle. The chapters are easy to read and offers great tips on fleshing out the points and "Bringing it Home", in other words, applying it in your daily life. The stories are inspirational, and really put things into perspective.
Kent Anderson
I liked the stories that were told at the beginning of the chapters. Not sure why the author picked 17 qualities of a team player. Can't anyone pick 17 qualities. Don't know if I will change much because of this book, but it did cause some reflection. I would get it just for the stories -- but get it from the library -- I wouldn't buy it.
Ernesto Osorno
Excelente libro con una serie de técnicas para el desarrollo de cualidades que nos permitan integrarnos a un equipo de trabajo y lograr excelentes resultados

Realmente considero que es un título que cualquier persona que tiene a su cargo a un equipo de personas, puede leer para el desarrollo personal de sus habilidades.
Mercelyn
I think that this book is not really for me because it doesn't speak to me the way John C. Maxwell's other book. I guess it perfect for the people who are in a group or a leader who wants to motivates his group. But the thought is still there and the essence of what the author wants the readers to realize is there.
Javad Khodadadi
کتاب حاوی 17 فصل درباره 17 اصل فعالیت در کارهای تیمی هست که بصورت مشروح درباره هرموضوع با ذکر دو داستان کوتاه درباره هر مورد و همچنین بیان نکات مختلف درباره این موارد ترجمه شده است.
برخلاف باور من که فکر میکردم این کتاب راهنمای رهبران و مدیران تیم ها هست، این اثر بیشتر مناسب افراد تشکیل دهنده گروه هاست.
Brandon Perry
This is actually a greater book than I originally thought. I have read it a couple times before but took a new approach this time. After every chapter I wrote in a journal how I was doing in the quality read. Helps to open your eyes more to improvement areas.
Judy
A few good nuggets written in a way that they are easily retrieved in about ten minutes of skimming. Might be good for someone just getting started in a work environment, right out of college.
John Semchenko
Outlines qualities a team player. Great for personal assessment and development. It is also great at sharing principles and then giving steps to develop these qualities in your life.
Daren Bootcheck
Not great in its entirety but the tidbits you pull out that pertain to you will be helpful. Great book for a new grad coming out of high school or college. Solid read.
John
Are you contributing everything you should to your teams? This is a book to review regularly to remind you of the areas where you need improvement.
Kathy
I found this book helpful especially as a reminder of how a good team functions. having been part of a dysfunctional team, this was useful.
Shannon Millington
Awesome. Again, some simple principles that are easy but no good unless applied. Loved the writer's style and examples used within.
Torki
When people understand each anther and respect their needs and hold their resposipilty toward each other at that moment they are a team .
Monica
Another great read on how to be a leader and team player. Many wonderful ideas and practical steps to being a better person.
Michelle Corley
This book was a professional gift and I liked it ok but overall it was slightly too ethereal for me.
Jen
Good info...but mostly common sense. This was one of our book club picks for work.
SHBC Leaders' Library
1 available - 9-part VHS set & 5-part cassette set only (no book, missing cassette #3)
Golden
Not that great. Pretty boring and fluffy. Could have made his point in about 20 pages.
Fed
This is one of these books that managers need to read periodically.
Gary
There are always great nuggets in a John C. Maxwell book.
Shelby
I didn't finish it. I'm guess self help isn't my genre....
  • You Don't Need a Title to Be a Leader: How Anyone, Anywhere, Can Make a Positive Difference
  • The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Axiom: Powerful Leadership Proverbs
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • Launching a Leadership Revolution: Mastering the Five Levels of Influence
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Resolved: 13 Resolutions for LIFE
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • The Principle of the Path: How to Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The Top Ten Mistakes Leaders Make
  • Robert E. Lee on Leadership: Executive Lessons in Character, Courage, and Vision
  • What It Takes to Be Number One: Vince Lombardi on Leadership
  • Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time
  • Twelve Pillars
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Uncommon: Finding Your Path to Significance
  • On Becoming a Leader
John C. Maxwell is an internationally recognized leadership expert, speaker, and author who has sold over 16 million books. His organizations have trained more than 2 million leaders worldwide. Dr. Maxwell is the founder of EQUIP and INJOY Stewardship Services. Every year he speaks to Fortune 500 companies, international government leaders, and audiences as diverse as the United States Military Ac...more
More about John C. Maxwell...
The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership Developing the Leader Within You Winning with People Failing Forward: How to Make the Most of Your Mistakes The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization

“People don’t really know whether they are committed to something until they face adversity.” 1 likes
“Results: Create Victories Through Multiplication When you work together with your teammates, you can do remarkable things. If you work alone, you leave a lot of victories on the table.” 0 likes