Sword of Light

Sword of Light (Pendragon Legacy #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  17 reviews
It is the darkest hour of the darkest age. King Arthur is dead and the path to the throne lies open to his evil nephew, Mordred. But there is one with a better claim... Introducing Rhianna Pendragon: Arthur's secret daughter and Camelot's last hope.
Published October 1st 2012 by Templar Books (first published February 1st 2012)

Emily May
Jun 17, 2012 Emily May marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 2012, childrens

I was quite excited to receive this ARC as part of a blog tour because I've always been a little fascinated with the legend of King Arthur, Merlin and the knights of the round table ever since I watched Sword in the Stone as a child. It's one of those legends that often incorporates kings, queens, dragons and magic in all of it's many retellings, and who can resist a bit of history mixed with fantasy?

And if I was twelve, this book would definitely be another exciting tale surrounding these part...more
Amy (Turn the Page)
I feel particularly bad about not finishing this, since Templar kindly sent it to me for review, and it seems like the kind of book I probably would have enjoyed as a kid. I'm not going to rate it, because if I did based on my own enjoyment it would pretty low and I don't feel that is exactly fair, given that I not only didn't finish reading this, but that I'm also roughly fifteen years older than the intended audience.

I have read and thoroughly enjoyed a lot of junior fiction, but this one, for...more
Cliona
I really wanted to like this book, I did. But I just...didn't. I tried hard to get into it, but I found it boring! It wasn't a bad book as such, I just didn't feel compelled to read on. The characters were the only part that I liked. They didn't feel very real, but they had good personalities, especially Cai and Rhianna. And Mordred was a great villain too!

I did not actually finish reading this book, so maybe this 'review' isn't fair, but I just thought I owed it to the publisher that sent it t...more
Becky
Sword of Light is an exciting fantasy novel which takes Arthurian legend and carves out for it a whole new journey. This is the Pendragon Legacy.

Rhianna Pendragon is the daughter of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere. But she did not grow up in the mortal world of men. She grew up not knowing her true identity in the land of Avalon, where the fairies live. She was the only human permitted to live there and she dreamt of what it would be like to visit the world of men. Rhianna’s best friend is the P...more
Rhianna Pendragon is the secret child of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere, so secret that even she doesn't know who her parents are. She has been raised in the fairy realm of Avalon but has always dreamt of visiting the world of men. When Merlin arrives in Avalon with Arthur's body it looks like Rhianna will get her wish. Arthur was killed by his nephew Mordred but there is a chance he can be saved - if Rhianna can find the Sword of Light and bring it back to Avalon.

Rhianna sets out for the human...more
Rebecca
Sword of Light is the first of a four book series based on Arthurian legends that imagines what might have happened had King Arthur and Queen Guinevere had a child. That child, a daughter named Rhianna, has been raised in secrecy on the magical island of Avalon, in order to keep her safe. Rhianna always knew she was different from the other children in Avalon, because was human and they were fairies, but she never knew who her real parents were. Then Merlin came to the island with the body of Ki...more
SJH (A Dream of Books)
This is the first book in a new series called The Pendragon Legacy. I'm a massive fan of stories which are set in Arthurian England and I absolutely adore all the legends and tales about King Arthur and his court. I'm always on the lookout for new books on this subject so I was thrilled when I discovered this title.

Katherine Roberts expertly weaves Arthur's story and that of the Knights of the Round Table, Merlin, Mordred and co with a new character, Rhianna Pendragon. Rhianna is the secret chi...more
Susan Price
I read this in proof, as I contributed a comment for the cover. I'm much older than those it's written for, but - I still enjoyed it. You have to enjoy a good story, told with skill!
Beth Kemp
I really enjoyed this one. Katherine Roberts has created a world that it's a great pleasure to get lost in. Familiar elements of the Arthur stories are woven seamlessly with the new inventions and children will delight in Rhianna's adventures. It's a treat to see a female protagonist in this kind of novel and, as you can see from the cover, this is not a 'girly' book. I would happily give it to a boy or girl to enjoy.

Rhianna is a fabulous character. At the opening of the book, she doesn't know w...more
Hannah
As the secret daughter of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere, Rhianna Pendragon has been kept hidden in the faery world of Avalon since her birth. But now that Arthur has been defeated by Mordred and his army of Saxon invaders, young Rhianna must come out of hiding to rescue Excalibur, the Sword of Light, and bring her father back to life to regain the throne. In a world of men, Rhianna will need to be brave and bold to find Excalibur before the Saxons or Mordred discover who she is.

Review: Sword o...more
Honoria
I bought this for my young daughter (age 6), who is an ambitious reader with a growing interest in fantasy fiction. I've dabbled happily in the genre as an adult reader, but my main reading tastes lie elsewhere. I read this out of curiosity, and was pleasantly surprised - it's certainly a cut above the average 'princess fairy magic rubbish' published for young readers. Katherine Roberts makes a credible attempt to continue the Arthurian saga, written in an engaging - often witty - style. I notic...more
James Hargest Library
Sword of Light is about Rhianna Pendragon, Arthur's secret daughter. Her father is dead and her mother has been kidnapped and her friends Cai, Elphin, Evenstar – Elphin’s horse and Alba – Rhiannas horse. The path to the throne lies open to his evil nephew, Morded. She meets new people along the way and finds out that she is a princess and her father is King Arthur.
I liked it very much as it is telling about King Arthur’s story. It is like the DVD ‘Sword in the Stone’ or the books about how Arth...more
Aj Toledo
Like the earlier reviews made to this books, I would say also that I would most probably enjoy this book as a child. The words are precise and the plot is simplified; descriptions are straightforward; the fonts are huge - some characteristics for a children's book. Although the concept of Arthurian legend is prevalent, the 'Sword of Light' made a quite unique concept of introducing Arthur's daughter - Rhianna Pedragon.

I enjoyed reading it. The words are fluent, and the characters speak as if 'na...more
Nic
It did it's job well as I want to read the next book!!! It's so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Debbie
Lovely read. Nice version of the Arthurian legend. Love it that a girl (King Arthur's daughter) is the hero. Looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Emma Ziegler
So awesome! Want to read next book.
hannah
Veronica Hester
Veronica Hester marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Snezhina
Snezhina marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Jun 24, 2014
Jade Lennox
Jade Lennox marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Sara Rebecca
Sara Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Julie-anne Whiting
Julie-anne Whiting marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Lucinda
Lucinda marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please change cover - Sword of Light 3 28 Jun 27, 2013 10:56AM
I grew up in the south west of England and studied Mathematics at the University of Bath, writing fantasy books in my spare time. After graduating with 1st class honours (in maths, not fantasy writing!), I worked with computers for about 5 years before redundancy convinced me that working with horses might be healthier.

I spent ten years working in various horse racing yards, and kept on writing. "...more
More about Katherine Roberts...
Song Quest (The Echorium Sequence, #1) Spellfall The Crystal Mask (The Echorium Sequence, #2) Dark Quetzal (The Echorium Sequence, #3) I Am the Great Horse