Start by marking “Sword of Light” as Want to Read:
Sword of Light

Sword of Light (Pendragon Legacy #1)

It is the darkest hour of the darkest age. King Arthur is dead and the path to the throne lies open to his evil nephew, Mordred. But there is one with a better claim... Introducing Rhianna Pendragon: Arthur's secret daughter and Camelot's last hope.
Published October 1st 2012 by Templar Books (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sword of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sword of Light

Emily May
Jan 18, 2012 Emily May marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, arc, 2012

I was quite excited to receive this ARC as part of a blog tour because I've always been a little fascinated with the legend of King Arthur, Merlin and the knights of the round table ever since I watched Sword in the Stone as a child. It's one of those legends that often incorporates kings, queens, dragons and magic in all of it's many retellings, and who can resist a bit of history mixed with fantasy?

And if I was twelve, this book would definitely be another exciting tale surrounding these part
Cliona
Feb 06, 2012 Cliona rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book, I did. But I just...didn't. I tried hard to get into it, but I found it boring! It wasn't a bad book as such, I just didn't feel compelled to read on. The characters were the only part that I liked. They didn't feel very real, but they had good personalities, especially Cai and Rhianna. And Mordred was a great villain too!

I did not actually finish reading this book, so maybe this 'review' isn't fair, but I just thought I owed it to the publisher that sent it t
Amy (Turn the Page)
I feel particularly bad about not finishing this, since Templar kindly sent it to me for review, and it seems like the kind of book I probably would have enjoyed as a kid. I'm not going to rate it, because if I did based on my own enjoyment it would pretty low and I don't feel that is exactly fair, given that I not only didn't finish reading this, but that I'm also roughly fifteen years older than the intended audience.

I have read and thoroughly enjoyed a lot of junior fiction, but this one, for
Atharva
King Arthur is dead and he has a secret daughter,namely Rhianna Pendragon. Merlin, the druid transports Arthur's body to the magical land of Avalon after being defeated and killed by Mordred his nephew.
Merlin reveals that Rhianna must fetch back Excalibur the sword of light which Arthur threw at Nimue a.k.a the Lady of the Lake. Rhinna with her elf friend Elphin friends travels yo world of men and meets odd knights and squires and joins forces with them to ein back Excalibur before Mordred lay
SJH (A Dream of Books)
This is the first book in a new series called The Pendragon Legacy. I'm a massive fan of stories which are set in Arthurian England and I absolutely adore all the legends and tales about King Arthur and his court. I'm always on the lookout for new books on this subject so I was thrilled when I discovered this title.

Katherine Roberts expertly weaves Arthur's story and that of the Knights of the Round Table, Merlin, Mordred and co with a new character, Rhianna Pendragon. Rhianna is the secret chi
Becky
Jan 14, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Sword of Light is an exciting fantasy novel which takes Arthurian legend and carves out for it a whole new journey. This is the Pendragon Legacy.

Rhianna Pendragon is the daughter of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere. But she did not grow up in the mortal world of men. She grew up not knowing her true identity in the land of Avalon, where the fairies live. She was the only human permitted to live there and she dreamt of what it would be like to visit the world of men. Rhianna’s best friend is the P
Rhianna Pendragon is the secret child of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere, so secret that even she doesn't know who her parents are. She has been raised in the fairy realm of Avalon but has always dreamt of visiting the world of men. When Merlin arrives in Avalon with Arthur's body it looks like Rhianna will get her wish. Arthur was killed by his nephew Mordred but there is a chance he can be saved - if Rhianna can find the Sword of Light and bring it back to Avalon.

Rhianna sets out for the human
Susan Price
I read this in proof, as I contributed a comment for the cover. I'm much older than those it's written for, but - I still enjoyed it. You have to enjoy a good story, told with skill!
Rebecca
Sword of Light is the first of a four book series based on Arthurian legends that imagines what might have happened had King Arthur and Queen Guinevere had a child. That child, a daughter named Rhianna, has been raised in secrecy on the magical island of Avalon, in order to keep her safe. Rhianna always knew she was different from the other children in Avalon, because was human and they were fairies, but she never knew who her real parents were. Then Merlin came to the island with the body of Ki ...more
Hannah
Feb 13, 2012 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As the secret daughter of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere, Rhianna Pendragon has been kept hidden in the faery world of Avalon since her birth. But now that Arthur has been defeated by Mordred and his army of Saxon invaders, young Rhianna must come out of hiding to rescue Excalibur, the Sword of Light, and bring her father back to life to regain the throne. In a world of men, Rhianna will need to be brave and bold to find Excalibur before the Saxons or Mordred discover who she is.

Review: Sword o
Beth Kemp
I really enjoyed this one. Katherine Roberts has created a world that it's a great pleasure to get lost in. Familiar elements of the Arthur stories are woven seamlessly with the new inventions and children will delight in Rhianna's adventures. It's a treat to see a female protagonist in this kind of novel and, as you can see from the cover, this is not a 'girly' book. I would happily give it to a boy or girl to enjoy.

Rhianna is a fabulous character. At the opening of the book, she doesn't know w
Honoria
Jan 04, 2013 Honoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for my young daughter (age 6), who is an ambitious reader with a growing interest in fantasy fiction. I've dabbled happily in the genre as an adult reader, but my main reading tastes lie elsewhere. I read this out of curiosity, and was pleasantly surprised - it's certainly a cut above the average 'princess fairy magic rubbish' published for young readers. Katherine Roberts makes a credible attempt to continue the Arthurian saga, written in an engaging - often witty - style. I notic ...more
James Hargest Library
Sword of Light is about Rhianna Pendragon, Arthur's secret daughter. Her father is dead and her mother has been kidnapped and her friends Cai, Elphin, Evenstar – Elphin’s horse and Alba – Rhiannas horse. The path to the throne lies open to his evil nephew, Morded. She meets new people along the way and finds out that she is a princess and her father is King Arthur.
I liked it very much as it is telling about King Arthur’s story. It is like the DVD ‘Sword in the Stone’ or the books about how Arth
Helen
t is the darkest hour of the darkest age. King Arthur is dead, killed by his wicked nephew, Mordred. Saxon invaders rampage across the land and forces of evil are gathering. The path to the throne lies open to Arthur's only remaining flesh and blood - Mordred. But there is one with a better claim than Mordred - Arthur's secret child.
I wanted a 'heftier' read to give my Chatterbooks group over the summer. A change from the normal monthly relatively 'quick' reads. I've been revisiting all my Arthu
Aj Toledo
Jun 23, 2013 Aj Toledo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done-reading
Like the earlier reviews made to this books, I would say also that I would most probably enjoy this book as a child. The words are precise and the plot is simplified; descriptions are straightforward; the fonts are huge - some characteristics for a children's book. Although the concept of Arthurian legend is prevalent, the 'Sword of Light' made a quite unique concept of introducing Arthur's daughter - Rhianna Pedragon.

I enjoyed reading it. The words are fluent, and the characters speak as if 'na
Manderline
Passionnée par la légende arthurienne j'ai été contente de découvrir ce livre. Rhianna Pendragon est un personnage attachant qui recule devant rien pour mener à bien sa quête : retrouver Excalibur. L'histoire est agréable à lire, fluide mais je n'aurais pas craint un peu plus de descriptions et d'actions.
Mel
Mar 06, 2015 Mel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It took me a long time to get into this and even then it was a chore to read.
This was definitely an attempt at getting more girls interested in the King Arthur legends but I found Rihanna Pendragon's character extremely irritating, whiny, self obsessed and generally annoying. Hopefully her character will develop throughout the series!
Hannah
Dec 11, 2013 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Niki
Apr 07, 2014 Niki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It did it's job well as I want to read the next book!!! It's so great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Debbie
Mar 30, 2014 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely read. Nice version of the Arthurian legend. Love it that a girl (King Arthur's daughter) is the hero. Looking forward to reading the other books in the series.
Bapoin
Nov 18, 2014 Bapoin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant story set after the death of Arthur.
Kyuutomo
Jul 27, 2015 Kyuutomo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
King Arthur? Really? I tried to find a book like this forever!! The main character is awesome!!! I love this story!!!!
Steph
May 26, 2015 Steph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une réécriture des légendes arthurienne jeunesse, sympathique, il m'a manqué un peu d'action
MARCUS CLIFFORD
MARCUS CLIFFORD rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Frankie Jones
Frankie Jones rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Laura Imray
Laura Imray rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
S-J
S-J rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2013
Johanna Feenstra
Johanna Feenstra rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2017
Ackerley Knight
Ackerley Knight rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please change cover - Sword of Light 3 29 Jun 27, 2013 10:56AM
  • India Dark
  • West of the Moon (Troll, #1-3)
  • The Feral Child
  • Mortal Chaos (Mortal Chaos, #1)
  • The Sleeping Army
  • The Double Shadow
  • The Gorgon in the Gully
  • Magus of Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #1)
  • Cross My Heart
  • The Quietness
  • Winter Damage
  • The Storm Bottle
  • King Arthur's Daughter
  • The Seeing
  • City of Thieves (Castle of Shadows, #2)
  • The Alchemist and the Angel
  • Cracks
  • Bloodtide (Blood, #1)
I grew up in the south west of England and studied Mathematics at the University of Bath, writing fantasy books in my spare time. After graduating with 1st class honours (in maths, not fantasy writing!), I worked with computers for about 5 years before redundancy convinced me that working with horses might be healthier.

I spent ten years working in various horse racing yards, and kept on writing. "
More about Katherine Roberts...

Pendragon Legacy (4 books)
  • Lance of Truth (Pendragon Legacy, #2)
  • Crown of Dreams (Pendragon Legacy, #3)
  • Grail of Stars (Pendragon Legacy #4)