Start by marking “Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators” as Want to Read:

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,069 ratings  ·  50 reviews
In the years following the publication of Patrick Lencioni's best-seller "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, " fans have been clamoring for more information on how to implement the ideas outlined in the book. In "Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team," Lencioni offers more specific, practical guidance for overcoming the Five Dysfunctions--using tools, exercises, assessm ...more
Published March 10th 2005 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team

Patrick
One of the problems with reading "must read" books in a field after you've been working for 15 years is that you spend a lot of time saying, "Well, duh, I knew that already!"

Of course, if you can remember what it was like 15 years ago when you started working, you'd say to yourself... "Hmmm... this book would have saved me a lot of headaches if I read it 15 years ago."

If you've never really thought much about team dynamics (or only thought about team dynamics in the "YOU" <-> "TEAM" sense)
Melody
Actually, this is a very book which I do not think got the publicity or attention it should have. It demonstrates how to use applied psychology in the work place to build teams. A good manager know this information, but Patrick does a good job of labeling it and organizing it so that it can be communicated and taught to others. He also does a great job of covering the elements of team building and dysfunction such that even a seasoned manager can learn something from this book.
Cristina
Loved the way P. Lencioni shares the "piramid" of the 5 dysfunctions. Well pointed that everything "sits" on the "lack o trust" ground. I guess it is very good to understand one cannot talk about results, proactivity, customer satisfaction when the basics of every functional team is not met: TRUST.

What resonated with me (and also felt in various times) " the key ingredient to built trust is not time. It is courage". Courage to do what?! To say things like:
- I made a mistake
- I trust you
- I was w
Jeff Yoak
This book ended up being more or less a repeat of the material in the Five Dysfunctions book, though told in a different style. I suspect either book would be good on its own without the other, though ultimately, I'd prefer the original.
Mark
Very good, and a fairly quick read. Some Great team insights with good exercises outlined. The core concepts are solid. It's a great book for team members to read because it's not quite as involved as some books are, yet the core attributes of great team participation or "membership" is laid out very well. I'm recommending this to my entire team. This fits seamlessly with Agile and Scrum concepts too yet is not as big of a bite for people who aren't ready for the entire Scrum layout. Extremely u ...more
Badarudheen Kunnathodi
A great book for understanding team psychology and building a strong team foundation. You can build your team code of conduct using this.

Recommended for highly dependent teams such as a startup team.

Five star, because I couldn't find many books that are practical in nature and tackled this field of study. Also, his model is quite structured and easy to follow. Not a scattered book full of jargons.
Johnnie
This field guide to teaching the book is SO much better than the novel itself. So glad I did not let the novel discourage me from reading this book. I am going to have a GREAT year because this book gave me more focus for my academic calendar and purpose.
Lynn
Great easy to use exercises. Reread in 2014. I utilize the exercises as part of the journey to lead a high performance work team. Partners well with Myers Briggs. Unfortunate title for a book/workbook. Title should focus on the positive.
Eric Pollock
Good quick read. The point about constant and healthy conflict among a management team is something I can identify with the most.
Rat Barrel
For team building, this field guide should be your quiver. Nice hierarchical model to follow with a variety of lessons at each stage. I particularly like the trust dimension, which has a nice 15-20 minute group exercise to work through. Splitting hairs: the author advocates MBTI for behavior profiling but I am more of a Big 5 fan. Still, we are splitting hairs. This is a nice book for every OB practitioner and would come in handy for group facilitating.
Courtney
Very useful for work! Doing a presentation based on the strategies this week (and in October for the Colorado Association of Libraries Conference)! Also, this is from my library collection, which I hardly read from anymore since it's changed from children's books to substance abuse treatment... Heh.
koen de waele
praktisch bruikbaar
Greg Mefford
If you want to take steps to apply the content of "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team," this field guide is the obvious next step.
It contains a more detailed explanation of each dysfunction (not in story form like the other book), followed by detailed templates for each of the recommended team-building activities so that they can be applied to your team.

Very practical and straightforward.
Clivemichael
Good suggestions, review of the Five Dysfunctions with more detail.
Char
This field guide expands on the book "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team" by offering a detailed plan on how to repair a team. In addition, different leadership style profiles are explained along with conflict profiles that are available.
John
Aug 13, 2011 John added it
WARNING! If you are not willing to be disciplined and undertake ALL of the explicit instructions that Patrick Lencioni asserts, then you will definitely experience many, if not all of his predicted negative outcomes. This book has the possibility of drastically changing a team for the better and also has the potential for drastically changing a team for the worse.
Dayla
When Lencioni's book, "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team" came out, I just felt that I didn't want to spend money on something that was gong to tell me everything dysfunctional about my team. Too negative! But when his book "Overcoming the Five....." I was sold.

Thank you for this book, and its exercises. My team was already good, this made them great!
Karla
My 2nd non-fiction book of this year was yet again...a book study pick. This one was an easy read and ultimatly a decent book. It is good for what we are using it for which is team building...so individually it was not that enlightening. Even at the team level much of it is common sense, but good to be reminded to think of things sometimes.
Mallory
My CEO talks about this book a lot, so I thought I would try it. My library offers online audio books, so I have been listening to it on my phone. Just now discovering there is a second, supplementary manager field guide book...and THAT'S what I have been listening to the whole time. Wish that had been more clear earlier on...
Jamie
As a leader of the ECE team, I try my best to understand and cope with everyone’s viewpoints, conflicts, attitudes, performances and nonsense, etc. The fact is, leadership matters, and I needed help in getting some Happy inputs on creating my own thematic goal to apply it to work. It was very helpful for me and my team!

Robin
Good real world strategies for building strong effective teams. Each of the five dysfunctions are discussed and then there are activities and exercises to help overcome them by building trust, accountability and commitment. I am planning to implement some of these ideas with my current team.
Sherri Gerek
Useful for group facilitation.
Molly
For a textbook, this isn't quite as good as "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team", but still isn't bad.
Muhammad Arrabi
very good explanation of the five dysfunctions of a team.

however, i recommend you just skip it and read "the Advantage" by the same author. The Advantage was published last and it has all the author's complete theory and explanations.
Mark
Much better than the last book on teams I read (The Team Approach) with several practical ideas to implement in the back. Still, a lot of this is common sense, picked up over the years through small group leadership training.
Linda
Identifying the five dysfunctions of a team in itself is worth the pondering. This field guide is excellent and very worthwhile for anyone who works with others ... and who among us doesn't (work with others)?
Tina
Very practical and straight forward guide to overcoming team dysfunction. Includes templates and exercises, not just theory which is helpful. Have yet to put into practice and test application though.
Jac
Some of the team building advice was good, but most of it was common sense. In addition, the author made several statements about team building that I couldn't buy into. At least it was short...
James
Finally had a chance to complete the book. Very excellent field guide with many activities I see using in the coming months to build more trust and accountability within the teams I interact with.
Rick
It was OK. The stories, highlighting the dynamics of the team were useful, but just didn't have much impact on me. Great for young leaders, I suspect, but not much good for a seasoned manager.
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork: Embrace Them and Empower Your Team
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • The One Thing You Need to Know: ... About Great Managing, Great Leading, and Sustained Individual Success
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Good to Great and the Social Sectors: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great
  • Boundaries for Leaders: Results, Relationships, and Being Ridiculously in Charge
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: The Four Disciplines at the Heart of Making Any Organization World Class The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work

“Because when a team recovers from an incident of destructive conflict, it builds confidence that it can survive such an event, which in turn builds trust. This is not unlike a husband and wife recovering from a big argument and developing closer ties and greater confidence in their relationship as a result.” 0 likes