Start by marking “Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Field Guide for Leaders, Managers, and Facilitators” as Want to Read:

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,344 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
In the years following the publication of Patrick Lencioni's best-seller "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team, " fans have been clamoring for more information on how to implement the ideas outlined in the book. In "Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team," Lencioni offers more specific, practical guidance for overcoming the Five Dysfunctions--using tools, exercises, assessm ...more
Published March 10th 2005 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming the Five Dysfunctions of a Team

Patrick
Jan 14, 2009 Patrick rated it liked it
Shelves: management
One of the problems with reading "must read" books in a field after you've been working for 15 years is that you spend a lot of time saying, "Well, duh, I knew that already!"

Of course, if you can remember what it was like 15 years ago when you started working, you'd say to yourself... "Hmmm... this book would have saved me a lot of headaches if I read it 15 years ago."

If you've never really thought much about team dynamics (or only thought about team dynamics in the "YOU" <-> "TEAM" sense)
Melody
Sep 22, 2010 Melody rated it liked it
Actually, this is a very book which I do not think got the publicity or attention it should have. It demonstrates how to use applied psychology in the work place to build teams. A good manager know this information, but Patrick does a good job of labeling it and organizing it so that it can be communicated and taught to others. He also does a great job of covering the elements of team building and dysfunction such that even a seasoned manager can learn something from this book.
Cristina
Nov 05, 2014 Cristina rated it liked it
Loved the way P. Lencioni shares the "piramid" of the 5 dysfunctions. Well pointed that everything "sits" on the "lack o trust" ground. I guess it is very good to understand one cannot talk about results, proactivity, customer satisfaction when the basics of every functional team is not met: TRUST.

What resonated with me (and also felt in various times) " the key ingredient to built trust is not time. It is courage". Courage to do what?! To say things like:
- I made a mistake
- I trust you
- I was w
Jeff Yoak
This book ended up being more or less a repeat of the material in the Five Dysfunctions book, though told in a different style. I suspect either book would be good on its own without the other, though ultimately, I'd prefer the original.
Jessi
Another look at the five dysfunctions of a team but this time looking at how, once identified (first book), the five dysfunctions can be worked through.
"The ultimate penalty of boring meetings is bad decisions, not to mention water time." Preach it brother!
So - build trust (read the definition), learn to embrace (productive) conflict, make sure that everyone (understands and) is committed to the cause, letting others know what you're doing so they can help keep you accountable, and make sure th
Mark
Nov 27, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing
Very good, and a fairly quick read. Some Great team insights with good exercises outlined. The core concepts are solid. It's a great book for team members to read because it's not quite as involved as some books are, yet the core attributes of great team participation or "membership" is laid out very well. I'm recommending this to my entire team. This fits seamlessly with Agile and Scrum concepts too yet is not as big of a bite for people who aren't ready for the entire Scrum layout. Extremely u ...more
Badarudheen Kunnathodi
Mar 23, 2014 Badarudheen Kunnathodi rated it it was amazing
A great book for understanding team psychology and building a strong team foundation. You can build your team code of conduct using this.

Recommended for highly dependent teams such as a startup team.

Five star, because I couldn't find many books that are practical in nature and tackled this field of study. Also, his model is quite structured and easy to follow. Not a scattered book full of jargons.
Araminta Matthews
Feb 05, 2016 Araminta Matthews rated it liked it
I would have given this a higher rating except that it self-references and references its own fee-for-service materials to supplement the ideas it supports. While this isn't inherently bad, it doesn't lend itself the kind of credibility that I was hoping to find here. Still, some helpful tips for sorting out team dynamics.
Johnnie
Aug 04, 2014 Johnnie rated it it was amazing
This field guide to teaching the book is SO much better than the novel itself. So glad I did not let the novel discourage me from reading this book. I am going to have a GREAT year because this book gave me more focus for my academic calendar and purpose.
Anand Kumar
Oct 10, 2015 Anand Kumar rated it really liked it
Just finished reading “Overcoming the five dysfunctions of a Team” by Patrick Lencioni

I read the first book “Five Dysfunctions of a Team” on suggestion of my boss. It described the possible dysfunctions of a team to achieve results and this book provides a guide to overcome or can say as a field guide which helps you to repair a team or establish a team. This is an amazing book, and a must to read book along with the “Dysfunctions of a team” – it will make your team from good to great. Interesti
Lynn
Oct 13, 2014 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Great easy to use exercises. Reread in 2014. I utilize the exercises as part of the journey to lead a high performance work team. Partners well with Myers Briggs. Unfortunate title for a book/workbook. Title should focus on the positive.
Colleen
Aug 30, 2015 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is one of those "required reading" books that I have no idea why it took me so long to get to reading. I'm very glad I did and I'm glad I read it at this point in my life and career. It's excellent.
Jun 01, 2015 Next rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent field guide

Excellent field guide to the best team focused leadership book I have read and used. But going from the original to "The Advantage" and skipping this is also possible.
Etel Sverdlov
Dec 27, 2015 Etel Sverdlov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book enjoyable and easy to read. Because of its straightforwardness and ease, I would recommend this for teams seeking to getting on aligned quickly in their goals and communication.
Huy Tran
Nov 22, 2015 Huy Tran rated it really liked it
A good field guide book though i expect more detailed explanation in some sessions. However, i do understand he can't reveal too much because he has a company to deliver such content.
Chris Armer
Dec 30, 2015 Chris Armer rated it really liked it
Great resource that provides an overview of Lencioni's bestselling book but also incorporates assessments and exercises to plan for effective teambuilding.
Eric Pollock
Jan 21, 2015 Eric Pollock rated it liked it
Good quick read. The point about constant and healthy conflict among a management team is something I can identify with the most.
Mike Eccles
Jun 26, 2015 Mike Eccles rated it really liked it
I read the associated book a few years ago and was greatly impressed by the fable approach. In fact I read all of Lencioni's books available at that time! I made use of these books and the model it's all about with a business team I was supporting. Their feedback shocked them. The trouble that arose was that the worst component of the model as measured by their own assessment was "Lack of Commitment" and that turned out to be the undoing of the initial survey. They were busy, clever people and w ...more
பா மகேஷ்
Feb 04, 2016 பா மகேஷ் rated it it was amazing
Simple and to the point, wonderful presentation in form of stories its had for me to keep this book down
Rat Barrel
Dec 28, 2013 Rat Barrel rated it really liked it
For team building, this field guide should be your quiver. Nice hierarchical model to follow with a variety of lessons at each stage. I particularly like the trust dimension, which has a nice 15-20 minute group exercise to work through. Splitting hairs: the author advocates MBTI for behavior profiling but I am more of a Big 5 fan. Still, we are splitting hairs. This is a nice book for every OB practitioner and would come in handy for group facilitating.
Courtney
Jul 05, 2014 Courtney rated it really liked it
Very useful for work! Doing a presentation based on the strategies this week (and in October for the Colorado Association of Libraries Conference)! Also, this is from my library collection, which I hardly read from anymore since it's changed from children's books to substance abuse treatment... Heh.
Sean
Feb 03, 2016 Sean rated it liked it
Definitely a field guide. Not a great audio book format.
koen de waele
Nov 12, 2014 koen de waele rated it liked it
praktisch bruikbaar
Greg Mefford
Dec 15, 2012 Greg Mefford rated it really liked it
If you want to take steps to apply the content of "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team," this field guide is the obvious next step.
It contains a more detailed explanation of each dysfunction (not in story form like the other book), followed by detailed templates for each of the recommended team-building activities so that they can be applied to your team.

Very practical and straightforward.
Clivemichael
Good suggestions, review of the Five Dysfunctions with more detail.
Char
Mar 15, 2009 Char rated it really liked it
Shelves:
This field guide expands on the book "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team" by offering a detailed plan on how to repair a team. In addition, different leadership style profiles are explained along with conflict profiles that are available.
John
Aug 13, 2011 John added it
WARNING! If you are not willing to be disciplined and undertake ALL of the explicit instructions that Patrick Lencioni asserts, then you will definitely experience many, if not all of his predicted negative outcomes. This book has the possibility of drastically changing a team for the better and also has the potential for drastically changing a team for the worse.
Dayla
Feb 25, 2013 Dayla rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
When Lencioni's book, "The Five Dysfunctions of a Team" came out, I just felt that I didn't want to spend money on something that was gong to tell me everything dysfunctional about my team. Too negative! But when his book "Overcoming the Five....." I was sold.

Thank you for this book, and its exercises. My team was already good, this made them great!
Karla
May 02, 2011 Karla rated it liked it
My 2nd non-fiction book of this year was yet again...a book study pick. This one was an easy read and ultimatly a decent book. It is good for what we are using it for which is team building...so individually it was not that enlightening. Even at the team level much of it is common sense, but good to be reminded to think of things sometimes.
Mallory
My CEO talks about this book a lot, so I thought I would try it. My library offers online audio books, so I have been listening to it on my phone. Just now discovering there is a second, supplementary manager field guide book...and THAT'S what I have been listening to the whole time. Wish that had been more clear earlier on...
  • Leadership and the One Minute Manager: Increasing Effectiveness Through Situational Leadership
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Helping: How to Offer, Give, and Receive Help
  • Encouraging the Heart: A Leader's Guide to Rewarding and Recognizing Others
  • A Sense of Urgency
  • The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
  • 25 Ways to Win with People: How to Make Others Feel Like a Million Bucks
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • The Mindful Leader: Ten Principles for Bringing Out the Best in Ourselves and Others
  • The Secret of Teams: What Great Teams Know and Do
  • The Practice of Adaptive Leadership: Tools and Tactics for Changing Your Organization and the World
  • StandOut: The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Management of the Absurd
  • Hiring for Attitude: A Revolutionary Approach to Recruiting and Selecting People with Both Tremendous Skills and Superb Attitude
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to
More about Patrick Lencioni...

“Ironically, for peer-to-peer accountability to become a part of a team’s culture, it has to be modeled by the leader. That’s right. Even though I said earlier that the best kind of accountability is peer-to-peer, the key to making it stick is the willingness of the team leader to do something I call “enter the danger” whenever someone needs to be called on their behavior or performance. That means being willing to step right into the middle of a difficult issue and remind individual team members of their responsibility, both in terms of behavior and results. But most leaders I know have a far easier time holding people accountable for their results than they do for behavioral issues. This is a problem because behavioral problems almost always precede results. That means team members have to be willing to call each other on behavioral issues, as uncomfortable as that might be, and if they see their leader balk at doing this, then they aren’t going to do it themselves.” 0 likes
“Because when a team recovers from an incident of destructive conflict, it builds confidence that it can survive such an event, which in turn builds trust. This is not unlike a husband and wife recovering from a big argument and developing closer ties and greater confidence in their relationship as a result.” 0 likes