Start by marking “Love, Cajun Style” as Want to Read:
Love, Cajun Style

Love, Cajun Style

It's the summer before Lucy's senior year in high school, and life in her sleepy Louisiana town is about to be turned upside down. Her mama's flirting with the dark stranger who runs the art gallery, her best friends Mary Jordan and Evie have boys on the brain, the drama teacher is sparking some powerful (if very, very wrong) feelings in Lucy, and a new boy has moved to to ...more
ebook
Published October 1st 2012 by Bloomsbury U.S.A. Children's Books (first published August 25th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Love, Cajun Style, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love, Cajun Style

Alicia
I really wanted to like this book, and tried very hard to. But it just kind of dragged on at times. Plus, I had such a hard time relating with the characters. The three main characters were supposed to be seventeen. I could not put this image in my head. Everytime I'd get a visual image, a little twelve year old girl in pigtails would pop into my head, and it drove me crazy. The characters were too innocent, and it wasn't really realistic. I gave it three stars though, because several parts real ...more
Melissa
Sep 18, 2011 Melissa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My sister read this a couple of years ago and recommended it to me. It was a good story, but a bit slow moving at times. I think that it is her first novel, which is inspiring for me because I'm sure that I can write a better novel!
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

For teenager Lucy Beauregard, love seems incomprehensible. It's not that she doesn't want to be in love someday, or even that she doesn't imagine the guy she might fall in love with -- it's just that she doesn't really understand love. Sure, she gets the basic idea, but deep down, real true love? What is it, really? And how do you know you're in it? How do you find it?

Lucy dated a guy last year; he was her first real kiss. At the time she thought
Annia Lennox
This is less a story with a beginning, middle, and end and more of a “here’s a look at the summer months of this girls life.” That’s not a bad thing, but it’s not really my kind of story. And it’s definitely a very southern book.

Lucy is a fairly good main character. She doesn’t make stupid decisions and isn’t annoying. Sometimes I would get angry about something she was doing (or not doing), but I understood why she was acting that way from a character perspective.

I did like the romance in here
Kaitlin
Feb 06, 2009 Kaitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q3-2009
The author of this book, Diane Les Becquets, has also written The Stones of Mourning Creek, getting her recognition from Publisher's Weekly. The main character, Lucy Beauregard, is an almost senior girl just living her life and loving her friends, along with falling in love. The book takes place in modern Louisian in town of Sweetbay. So far I like this book because its about a girl close to my age and she is going through the same things I was going through over the summer. The audience for thi ...more
Treasure Isaacs
"....slide into it like a baseball player heading for home?" (Becquets, 1).
"It wasn't that long ago I was sure I'd fallen in love, but by the time I landed, I knew I had it all wrong." (Becquets, 1).

9/30-
Lucy is a girl in the summer before her senior high school year. She just got out of a relationship that went bad, leaving her confused. She's into anything romance, and has a crush on the new drama teacher. Lucy is from Louisiana, around the bayou region. She's very Catholic, and their faith is
Linda Katzman
Jan 25, 2008 Linda Katzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-stuff
Have you ever just wanted things to stay the same? Feel like you are growing up too fast? Lucy and her friends have been together almost as long as they can remember. In the small town where nothing ever seems to change, everything around Lucy seems to be changing during the summer before her senior year. The new families in town have brought art and drama to the small town. Lucy watches helplessly as her family and friends seem to drift further away from her. Her friends seem to have forsaken h ...more
Stephanie A.
I was fully expecting this to be a 2.5 to 3 star read, with its "a saucy novel" on the cover and its skinny dipping in the opening pages that almost made me stop there, as the girls were clearly morons. Then out of nowhere, it blew me away with -- well, still a lot of nudity, but very little sex to go with it, and more importantly these rich, amazing descriptions of life in a small Louisiana town (I want to read this book every summer), great friendships and a surprisingly mature main character, ...more
Victoria
Oh, this was a cute summery romance with playful pranks, sweet characters and just a general sense of fun. The older characters seemed like they stepped out of Steel Magnolias, though in this case the setting was in Louisiana, not Georgia. And though the main girls were supposed to be 17, they seemed much younger... Perhaps because of the completeness of their innocence. Still, it was a fun book, but not a very complex story. The younger end of the YA market would most likely find this to be mor ...more
Emma
Aug 31, 2008 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK! This book has so many important themes to it, including friendship, love, and knowing when to speak up. The main character, Lucy, is funny and innocent. Her two best friends, Evie and Mary Jordan, are quite a pair, and together, the three of them are a riot! Although the title suggests that this book is a romance novel, it isn't based around one thing. It covered a lot of ground, and at some parts, it was very serious, while at others, it was pure fun. I laughed out loud when ...more
Molly
Feb 13, 2008 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This is the story of 3 young women, finding themselves, finding their places in this world and learning how to hang on to what they love best.

I found it cute, if a bit boring at times. It is also a trifle long, and could have been shortened to expedite things. The sex talk is also pretty moralizing at times (not at all 'saucy' as the cover implies). So, parents and some teen readers will appreciate that, but I think some teens will be turned off.

Krystal
Jun 02, 2014 Krystal rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's okay. A very easy read, simple, about a small town girl and her little life before senior year. It involves statutory rape but for like...two seconds. Over all, it feels like it's written by a 14yr old. Cliché much when it comes to her love interest. Not one of those "deep" books at all. You're not missing a thing by passing this one up; by all means, skip it, but it's okay if you do end up reading it. I won't read it again.
Susabelle Kelmer
Oh, I loved this little book! Read it in a day. I was leery of the title, thinking it would be a lot more New Orleans than I was willing to read, but it turned out to be set in a small town and I love the dynamic of a small town in a novel. I could smell, feel, see, and taste everything. A great "beach" or "vacation" book, that's for sure!
Nikki
Jun 26, 2007 Nikki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, own-it
Les Becquets mixes Southern culture with A Midsummer Night's Dream and lets her main character honestly explore issues about sex without ever being offensive. From the first chapter where the main character and her friends have to ride their bikes naked because someone stole their clothes while they were skinny dipping, I was hooked. It's fun and serious at the same time.
Courtney Johnson
This book was ok. Although it said it was about love, it was really about friendship between three girls. The three girls just happen to be falling in love at the same time. They have some problems, ultimately fix them/talk about them and become friends again. I don't think I would read this book again, but it was great for a one time read.
Kimiko-K
Apr 14, 2011 Kimiko-K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a rather relaxing story told at a slow pace tone, a different life from a typical city story.

It has taught me many must-knows for a teenage girl to survive in this hectic society and I really appreciated that the main character's honesty in expressing her true feelings. A book that def worths your time!
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2011 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!!! It's a great read about a girl who finds herself, even though she wasn't sure if she was lost. Through many twists and turns, the ending prevails with the long-lasting message that love and freindship conqer all.
Debrarian
One hot Louisiana summer Lucy, 17, follows the mysterious love lives of her mother (and, she hopes, her father), Tante Pearl, and two best friends, while falling for the nice new boy and having the moves put on her by the new drama teacher. Good.
Tara
Feb 19, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
was a cute southern story. If you live in the south will love and if you don't you will too. This is a great story about good friends and the experiences that shape us from family to love. A very cute a good story glad I read it.
Natanya L
Although it has been years since I read this book, and I remember almost none of the plot and details of the book, there were a few scenes that made a very lasting impression, and a few quotes I will never forget. On that alone, I would recommend this book.
Maria
Oct 16, 2009 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a wonderful book! In the beginning, i wasn't sure if i would like it, but reading a little bit farther, i found that this book teaches a lot about friendship, life, and love.
Niki
Apr 05, 2011 Niki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute book about first love, best friends, and growing up in a small Louisiana town. Quick, easy read.
Marsha
Oct 18, 2008 Marsha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute teenage angst/love book - not quite sure where the author got gumbo cooked in a crock pot or pickled alligator toes, but - most of it rang true!
Barb
Jan 25, 2008 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this coming of age book set in Louisiana. It was a little predictable, but the writing was good and the characters were interesting.
Jayse
Nov 17, 2012 Jayse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was one of those books that has no plot what so ever but it had such beautiful and figurative writing style I enjoyed it.
Bonnie
Mar 03, 2014 Bonnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very cute and funny. Love the small town setting and LOVE Dewey. All of the irony with religion and affairs and such was interesting. The characterization was great!
Sabrina
Mar 24, 2012 Sabrina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good story!!! I absolutely loved it =DD It was awesome plot, cute ending. Overall, a fabulouss story!!!
Eden
Jun 29, 2010 Eden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first book I read after I was reborn--into a book addct i mean. I don't remember too much about it but I know I liked it so...
Akilia
Jul 26, 2012 Akilia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the plot but leading into the story was very very slow. The ending was very satisfying.
Victoria Duffourc
Louisiana.

Clearly the writer isn't from Louisiana.
We don't have counties or an ocean.
But it was still a good read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Denim Diaries 1: 16 Going on 21
  • Deep in the Heart of High School
  • All About Vee (Fat Girls in LA, #1)
  • The Possibilities of Sainthood
  • Touch
  • The Kayla Chronicles
  • Red Moon at Sharpsburg
  • Klepto
  • So Not The Drama (Del Rio Bay Clique, #1)

“A broken heart isn't so much the loss of the person as it is the loss of your dreams with that person. ” 82 likes