Start by marking “Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution” as Want to Read:
Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution

Steampunk III: Steampunk Revolution (Steampunk #3)

Playfully mashing up the romantic elegance of the Victorian era with whimsically modernized technology, this entertaining and edgy new anthology is the third installment in a bestselling steampunk series. Featuring a renegade collective of writers and artists--from beloved legends to rising talents--the steam-driven past is rebooted and powered by originality, wit, and adv ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Tachyon Publications (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Steampunk III, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Steampunk III

Joe Karpierz
Oct 14, 2012 Joe Karpierz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't know what to expect when I started reading this. I've not read any steampunk in the past, so I had no basis on which to make a statement about whether this was good or bad steampunk.

It turns out that didn't matter. These stories are examples of a brewing change in steampunk, and as such I could read them without thinking about that label. It is a very good collection of stories. As with any collection, there are a few stories that aren't to my tastes, but that didn't deter me fr
Shamela
Jul 06, 2013 Shamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid anthology, as per usual from Ann VanderMeer. My only complaint is only a teensy one, and perhaps not even really one. Most of the works here seem like "teasers," in that they'd build up steam (Ah HA HAHAHAhahahaha) and then...boom. Story over. Technically, that's doing what an anthology is supposed to do, I guess, in introducing me to authors. So even though that left me a bit frustrated, I guess it warrants a tip of the hat.

Also, if you want to know what's going on with steampunk, reading
Malissa Kent
I keep skipping over my own story in this collection; it almost feels like if I read it, it might disappear. And, well, I know my story. Discovering all the other pieces is great fun!
Nafiza
Jan 14, 2013 Nafiza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Steampuk III: Steampunk Revolution is an anthology brimming with glimpses of lives and worlds as diverse as reality. While all the stories have substance to them, I will review the ones that spoke to me in some way or other.

“Mother is a Machine” by Catherynne M. Valente

As is Valente’s style, this short story is vivid, provocative and disturbing. It takes a moment for the reader to situate herself in the narrative, find her ground, figure out who is what and what’s happening but once that is done
Matthew
When I saw this book featured in the "new arrivals" section at my local library, I had to snatch it up. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped the word steampunk into a conversation only to receive a blank stare (which then launched me into a giddy explanation of what steampunk is all about). In that sense, I'm really the target audience.

So it surprises me that I'm only giving this book three stars (and by the way, it's a little intimidating to post when the first couple of reviews are fro
Susan Laine
Feb 11, 2017 Susan Laine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good anthology. It's not terribly consistent, as in some stories have only a small steampunk element and are actually more some other genre, like horror. But overall every story has a touch of something interesting going on. There are good ones, some not-so good ones... and then there are the freaky-deaky ones, like Mother Is A Machine. In any case, I'll be checking out the rest of the books in this series.
An Odd1
Apr 08, 2014 An Odd1 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thought recognized one or two from elsewhere, can't find. Start with plots. Deteriorate fast.
1 Harry and Marlowe and the Talisman of the Cult of Egil by Carrie Vaughn - When she finds alien Aetherian artifact, Harry flees barbaric guardians "this horde - descendants of a lost tribe of Vikings trapped under the Icelandic volcano .. A hundred leather-clad footsteps pounded on the stone behind her" p 17. (view spoiler)
Wealhtheow
Carrie Vaughn's "Harry and Marlowe and the Talisman of the Cult of Egil": in the midst of a war, a lady and an airship pilot are the British Empire's best hope of getting an Aetherian artifact that might defeat Prussia. Introduces an interesting set of characters and hints at a cool alternate world, but this is too short to do much else.

Cherie Priest's "Addison Howell and the Clockroach"...

The problem with electronic lending is when the lending period is up, the library can just snatch the book
Joseph
I am intrigued by this genre, and I want to read more. I have never been a big sci-fi guy, but the twist here is that most of these stories are set in the past (commonly the Victorian era) imagining little bends in the path of history and technology. I always loved Jules Verne and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, which are both commonly cited as precursors to steampunk.

Now, to get myself a nice pair of flight goggles and a waistcoat!
Wayland Smith
As with every anthology, this was uneven. Some were good, some not quite as good, and a few didn't really seem to fit with Steampunk as a whole. There were also a few essays near the end that were interesting. I think my favorites were Effluent Engine and To Follow The Waves. I'm not a huge steampunk guy, but I enjoyed a lot of these. Still not quite sure what A Handful of Rice had to do with Steampunk, but it was good.
Mat
Mar 15, 2016 Mat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Painfully dull and boring. It's got nothing to do with Steampunk. Like AT ALL.
Maybe Vandermeer should think more about establishing a genre rather than revolutionize something that isn't quite there yet to begin with.
Steer clear of this, steam freaks! Volume 1 was pretty good. 2 was pretty bad. 3 is ridiculous.
Rachel Brune
I did not enjoy this collection as much as the first two. That said, there are some fun stories in here. However, on the whole, I felt that there was this overriding sense of earnestness that sucked a lot of the joy from the work. I prefer a little less manifesto in my steampunk, and a little more steampunk.
Kathleen
Jul 14, 2016 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many cultures are represented in this book, proving "steampunk" doesn't have to mean "Victorian England!" There's a touch of Lovecraft and Indiana Jones, metafiction providing multiple perspectives on a folk story, typical YA coming-of-age folderol, and much more. And if you don't like a particular story, try the next one!
Angelica
Nov 29, 2013 Angelica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best of the three. I didn't love every story, but I enjoyed the vast majority of them; the perfect balance of dark and light stories, some classic neo-Victorian steampunk and some more unconventional pieces. Note: Why is this volume edited by Ann VanderMeer alone? Did Jeff VanderMeer not have time or inclination, or is it an attempt not to be biased since the book contains a story by him?
Kendra
Apr 10, 2014 Kendra rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't mind reading an anthology that collects pieces from other sources, but when the pieces are from other collections by the same editors, it's lazy. And on top of that there were only about 2 good stories in here...both of which, of course, I'd read elsewhere.
Aaron
Apr 02, 2014 Aaron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A mixed bag, like most anthologies. I find myself more drawn to "traditional steampunk" (oxymoron?) as opposed to the post-apocalyptic scenarios that seem to run through this collection.
T. Kent
Mar 07, 2015 T. Kent rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All three of the Steampunk anthologies were great. Just recently finished this last one.
Amy Peavy
This book had a lot of great stories in it. The second volume was pretty bad.
Katelynn
See my updates for more of my individual thoughts on the stories. Anything I rated 4 stars I'd recommend checking out!
David Nelson
Dec 07, 2012 David Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am 100% biased here because 1) I've really dug the other two VanderMeer steampunk anthos and 2) I have a story in this collection.
Bayta Darell
Oct 07, 2016 Bayta Darell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
i even liked the lev grossman story and usually i hate lev grossman stories
Anthony
Anthony rated it liked it
Feb 25, 2013
Casey
Casey rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2017
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Dan Ngai
Dan Ngai rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2015
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2017
Agc
Agc rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2013
Duane
Duane rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Mammoth Book of Steampunk
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2012
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • Ghosts by Gaslight
  • The Immersion Book of Steampunk
  • Dead of Veridon (The Burn Cycle #2)
  • Steampunk World
  • Steampunk Prime: A Vintage Steampunk Reader
  • Other Worlds Than These
  • Gideon Smith and the Brass Dragon (Gideon Smith, #2)
  • Wings of Fire
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • Tails of Wonder and Imagination
  • Clockwork Phoenix: Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #1)
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3)
  • Clockwork Fairy Tales: A Collection of Steampunk Fables

Steampunk (3 books)
  • Steampunk (Steampunk, #1)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)