Start by marking “For Times of Trouble: Spiritual Solace from the Psalms” as Want to Read:
For Times of Trouble: Spiritual Solace from the Psalms

For Times of Trouble: Spiritual Solace from the Psalms

Our Father in Heaven wants us to be happy. And yet, we all have times of trouble. As Elder Jeffrey R. Holland writes, "One of the unfailing facts of mortal life is the recurring presence of trouble.... When these difficult days (and nights!) come—and they will—it will help us to remember that 'it must needs be,' that in the grand councils of heaven before the world was, we ...more
Published November 1st 2012 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about For Times of Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For Times of Trouble

Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
Nov 26, 2012 Erika B. (SOS BOOKS) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, spir-tual
I have quite literally been amazed by my Elder Holland cram session! I work at a book store. It is kind of like when the chocolate addict Augustus Gloop finally finding himself in Willy Wonka's Chocolate factory and shoves his face into the chocolate river-I lose my mind sometimes with my love affair with literature and I'm just feeding my book addiction ALL OF THE TIME by choosing to work in the wonderful smell of fresh paper and baked goods!!!! I have a constant relationship with the written w ...more
Amy
Dec 04, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing

The subtitle of this book is - Sprititual Solace From the Psalms. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland is one of those special people that can ease your mind and spririt. Love and compassion just emanate from him. The dvd that comes with the book is just as soothing and touching even though I've only seen a few minutes of it. He sits in a beautiful room with a number of people and answers their questions, always putting them, and the viewer, in touch with how much our Heavenly Father loves and cares for us.
Becky
Mar 10, 2013 Becky rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written tender book, with Elder Holland's personal teaching and insight regarding the Psalms. I loved this book. Many times it brought me to tears as Elder Holland taught of the Savior's tender mercy and love for each of us.

There are 3 sections to this book. My favorite is the 3rd session, devoted entirely to the 23rd Psalm. "If we are anxious, the psalm gives us courage and we overcome our fears. If we are grieving, it offers comfort and we find our way through the valley of the s
Laurel
Feb 10, 2015 Laurel rated it it was amazing
This should have been printed on neon yellow paper to save me time. I wanted to highlight all of it.
Every other page begins with a verse or more from Psalms, followed by Elder Holland's thoughts on that verse. It's not heavy on doctrine, as he states in the preface - this was intended; it's heavy on heart. If you've heard him speak, you can imagine how soulful this book is. His insight is far-reaching and never ceases to amaze me. After I read each psalm, I would try to think what he (or I) mig
Luisa
May 11, 2013 Luisa rated it it was amazing
What is there NOT to love about everything that flows from Jeffrey R. Holland's mouth? The DVD is incredible and I have listened to it dozens of times already when I'm cooking or cleaning in the kitchen. In this book there aren't just words of comfort and understanding, but there is so much doctrine as well. It's incredible.
Curtis
Jan 02, 2016 Curtis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-and-unread
This book was a delight to read and reflect upon. I found myself reading a few pages a day and reflecting on what I read throughout the day. I feel I got more out of the book this way. This is one of the best books I've read in the last couple of years. I highly recommend it.
Kaye Dewar
May 05, 2013 Kaye Dewar rated it it was amazing
Using the Psalmes as a tool for troubled times. Wonderfulbook!
Shiloah
While Jeffrey R. Holland is LDS, I feel this book has truths members of all Christian religions can benefit from. This book filled my heart and gave me renewed hope.

There is much to quote and ponder on, but here are two I enjoyed from this book:

"The redemptive role of the light of Christ is an important doctrine in the restored gospel. We believe that every single individual born into this world carries and keeps that light in his or her soul, no matter what time or transgression might do in an
Colette
Oct 28, 2016 Colette rated it it was amazing
Truth and wisdom on every page. This is not a scholarly or doctrinal discussion of the psalms, rather it is a collections of reflects on phrases found in the Book of Psalms, especially those meant to give hope and solace to those experiencing difficult times. Five stars for the spirit I felt while reading. I will most definitely be revisiting this one when I can savor it more.
Leanna Criddle
Jan 02, 2017 Leanna Criddle rated it liked it
A comforting read. Good to have a notebook with you while you read it so you can write down your favorite quotes.
Heather
Mar 25, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is a neat book where Elder Holland shares his insights along with many of the Psalms from the Old Testament that teach us how to find peace during times of trouble and sorrow. Trials will come, but there is always hope in Christ. This book and the accompanying DVD are wonderful! I need to come back to this to study further, but am very glad I read this book.

He covers many of the psalms, with a whole section at the end just on the 23rd psalm. So many of these psalms help show different ways
Shauna
Dec 02, 2012 Shauna rated it it was amazing
"When difficult days (and nights!) come-- and they will-- it will help us to remember that 'it must needs be,' that in the grand councils of heaven before the world was, we agreed to such a time of challenge and refinement. We were taught then that facing, resolving, and enduring troublesome times was the price we would pay for progression."
So starts this new book from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland where he helps us find spiritual solace from the Psalms.
Each chapter is only a page or two long so it i
Cameron
Feb 16, 2014 Cameron rated it it was amazing
an amazing book. I am glad I read it slowly and took my time. just a few pages here and there and then pondered on what I read for a while. I enjoy his style, candor and real life examples. he brings the scriptures to life like only people who read them a lot, pray about them a lot and ponder about them a lot can do.

if I were to go back and do it again I would take the passages he read and read them myself first, take notes and then read what he wrote. his insight is so good and this approach w
Jill
Feb 03, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
I purchased this book on a whim because I love Elder Holland's writings. It turned out to be much different than what I expected it to be. It is more of a compilation of "daily devotionals" taken from the Psalms. I coupled it with my daily scripture reading and found there were many special insights from Elder Holland; some that were new to me, and some that (surprisingly) I already understood! I haven't yet watched the DVD that came with the book, but I'm looking forward to viewing it. This is ...more
Sean Gilmore
May 03, 2015 Sean Gilmore rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I really enjoyed this book from Jeffrey R. Holland. It feels very much like a personal conversation you are sharing with him about the Psalms while you read it. He shares his personal reflections regarding specific Psalms, and they are not in order, so it flows thematically, rather than chronologically.

The only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars is because it was more of a book to read a little bit each week, usually on a Sunday. I tried reading large portions at a time when I started it, and real
Jared Anderson
Apr 11, 2013 Jared Anderson rated it really liked it
Elder Holland masterfully goes through the Psalms and pulls out fantastic truths. It's very candid and seems like a conversation between the author and reader. The book is divided into three sections. The first, and my personal favorite, is the largest and contains the personal reflections of Elder Holland. They are short in length, but they are potent and ardent. The second consists of Psalms all about the Savior and the doctrinal significance of the Psalms. The last section is entirely dedicat ...more
Adrienne
Dec 27, 2015 Adrienne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book starts out with shorts insights from various Psalms, transitions to looking at some Messianic Psalms, and then concludes with an in-depth look at the 23rd Psalm. There lots of insights to be gleaned, and readers can either go through in order, or any random order. My favorite part was probably the chapter on the 23rd Psalm, where Elder Holland shared some really profound insights. (There are profound insights throughout the book, but he does such a great job of taking a well-known Psal ...more
Cathi
Jan 23, 2014 Cathi rated it it was amazing
Because I love the Psalms and because I love the writings and speeches of Elder Holland, I wanted to read this book. I was not disappointed. It's the kind of book which made me want to put sticky notes on many pages; there were so many sections which really spoke to me. I love the fact that this book can be read just a bit at a time, so that I could slowly savor the messages and reflect about how they apply to me. I also loved the long section at the end of the book, which takes the 23rd Psalm, ...more
Colette
Oct 05, 2014 Colette rated it really liked it
I was just given this book. It comes with a DVD option for those who don't have time to sit down and read (but could turn it on to watch/listen). The subtitle of the book is, "Spiritual Solace From The Psalms". I just wanted to quote a passage that I love so far:

The primary purpose of these scriptual psalms is to help us "grow brave by reflection," help us exert the faith necessary to "smile in trouble" and "gather strength from distress."

Don't you feel stronger already? I think I am going to li
Jenny
Oct 10, 2014 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds
I just read a little bit each day over many months (but also put it aside for quite a few months as well ...not because I didn't want to read it but just got distracted by other books). Loved getting to know and study the Psalms in more depth and so appreciate Elder Holland's insights and words of hope and comfort. And I LOVE the DVD that came with the book...that alone would be worth the price of the book. Absolutely wonderful. Some of the quotes will stay with me for a long time. Wonderful!!
April Fear
Feb 28, 2014 April Fear rated it really liked it
I feel bad that I didn't enjoy this book as much as some of my friends did. I guess I'm just too left brained. I'm one of those who just doesn't get poetry, so consequently I don't understand the Psalms. Just say what you want to say, without beating around the bush. I did love the beautiful pictures scattered throughout the book and some of Elder Holland's explanations did help me to understand some parts of the Psalms better. I got a little more out of the DVD, which by the way has nothing to ...more
Suzana
Sep 21, 2013 Suzana rated it it was amazing
Well worth the time it took to read. It is amazing that scriptures that were written thousands of years ago could still impact good people now. A scripture for every trial you have gone through or will go through. Filled with hope, encouragement and peace. I would though keep your scriptures handy so you can make your own notes next the scriptures. I enjoy Elder Holland so much I imagined him speaking his words in my head.
Leslie
Jan 30, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it
I think the DVD content included with the book bumped this up to 4 stars for me. The third section dedicated entirely to Psalm 23 was especially beautiful. I've come away with a deeper understanding of and greater appreciation for the Lord as my personal Shepherd. It is wonderful.

“How loving and strong, how devoted and determined that shepherd is in His care will be the all-important issue of our lives…”
Esther
Mar 02, 2015 Esther rated it it was amazing
Elder Holland quotes and shares his thoughts on comforting Psalm verses throughout the entire book. There's an enlightening section covering aspects of the atonement I'd never considered before. The book's final section is a thorough dissection of Psalm 23.

The entire book was a refuge I looked forward to each night during my routine. I highly recommend this to everyone, but especially to anyone feeling brokenhearted or downtrodden.
Ryan
Sep 05, 2013 Ryan rated it really liked it
There are three key questions we can/should ask ourselves as we read & study the Psalms: 1) what did this psalm mean to Israel in the Old Testament? 2) what did this psalm mean to Christians in the New Testament; and 3) what does this psalm mean to me today? (Thanks to my friend Mark Ellison for these questions!) Elder Holland does a great job with the last question in this book. His insights provide inspiring and comforting reassurance and hope for the struggling soul. Good read!
Chrisanne
Nov 14, 2015 Chrisanne rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up on a whim last week and the "times of trouble" spoken of came, as you may have observed.

This was a book full of lovely thoughts, easily read and short enough to fit in to the nooks and crannies of your time. But my favorite part was the last chapter.

I'm glad I had this book for these times. Troubled or not, it reminded me of a peace that I don't often take time to feel.
Verona
Apr 06, 2013 Verona rated it it was amazing
This was one of the most comforting books I've ever read. I felt comforting loving arms around me as I read each psalm and Elder Holland's feelings and explanations. I will turn to this book again and again when I need help. One of the sweetest experiees in reading this book was sharingbit with my sister. We live across the US from each other but we felt close as we knew each other was reading a page or two from.this book at night.
Benjamin Williams
Aug 03, 2013 Benjamin Williams rated it liked it
I bought this book because there is so little in Mormon discourse about the psalms. It was refreshing to see a modern interpretation of a scriptural "nice guys finish last" parody. Holland has his moments of strong, moving rhetoric as he is known to do but I found such instances sparse. His focus, I felt, was not so much a reaffirmation of healthy optimism but rather a routine outlay of Mormon clichés often expressed.
Brett
Nov 25, 2013 Brett rated it liked it
I bought this book for my mother, but she handed it back having read it already-love long distance relationships. The book is broken into three sections. The first looks at psalms that provide solace. The second section identifies messianic psalms with some commentary. The last section includes in-depth commentary for Psalm 23. I enjoyed the last section the most. Perhaps I started this book too soon.
Catherine
Jun 09, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book was amazing! So uplifting and inspiring. I wrote down some quotes in my journal and commented on them because they were of such a great help to me. Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints, explains in detail some of the different Psalms. Some things that I used to not understand in the book of Psalms were made clear to me. I highly recommend this to anyone.
  • 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live By the Spirit
  • Choose Higher Ground
  • Act in Doctrine: Spiritual Patterns for Turning From Self to the Savior (Spiritual Patterns, #2)
  • The Continuous Conversion: God Isn't Just Proving Us, He's Improving Us
  • Falling to Heaven: The Surprising Path to Happiness
  • Life's Lessons Learned: Personal Reflections
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • The Beginning of Better Days: Divine Instruction to Women from the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • Consider the Blessings
  • Whom the Lord Loveth: The Journey of Discipleship
  • One Drop at a Time
  • Accomplishing the Impossible: What God Does, What We Can Do
  • The Crucible of Doubt: Reflections On the Quest for Faith
  • Look Up, My Soul: The Divine Promise of Hope (Divine Guidance, #3)
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland was ordained a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 23 June 1994. At the time of this call, Elder Holland was serving as a member of the First Quorum of the Seventy, to which he had been called on 1 April 1989. A native of St. George, Utah, he has spent most of his professional life in Church education. He receiv ...more
More about Jeffrey R. Holland...