Start by marking “Nuts to You!” as Want to Read:
Nuts to You!

Nuts to You!

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  409 ratings  ·  44 reviews
It's summer in the city, and a rascally squirrel is up to all sorts of tricks. But when he sneaks inside an apartment window, he'll need one nutty solution to get back out!

Labels identify plants, birds, and insects on each page, and a glossary at the back of the book offers factual details about squirrels. One of her youngest and most popular titles, Nuts to You! is Lois E
Published August 1st 2004 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Nuts to You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nuts to You!

Nojood Alsudairi
I think that squirrel wants to live with me.
Camille Rivera
Nuts to You! follows the life of a squirrel that lives near the narrator’s home. The narrator describes what the squirrel likes to do and personifies it by stating that the squirrel must want to come inside. As the story continues, the squirrel is accidentally let inside and the narrator interacts with it more closely by leading it outside with some peanuts. The last few pages give factual information about squirrels. I can see children connecting with this book since many kids love watching squ ...more
Sep 10, 2010 jacky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: preschool - primary
Someone had left this out on a table at the library. Natalie seemed a bit interested in it, and it had a whole in the front cover, which is right up her alley, so I grabbed it. Mike read it that night for bed time. The story is narrated by a child who watches a squirrel and gets to interact with it. Its rhyming lines are simple. The illustrations are great - large spread with no white space and great colors that work well with the large font. What I really liked about this book more than usual I ...more
Amanda Hartley
This easy rhyming read is a great read for kids interested in the outdoors. On each page, it identifies different plants and objects that are pictured. In the back of the book there is squirrel talk which is full of squirrel facts.
Very fun, simple book about a squirrel who lives outside of an apartment complex with the beautifully, colorful style Ehlert always brings to her work.

Great for a squirrel storytime for either preschoolers or toddlers.
Love this book! As with other Ehlert books, this one has the most wonderful pictures. Through the story of a child watching a squirrel out the window, the reader is given a look at the curiosity and climbing skills of a squirrel. Throughout the book, Ehlert also identifies common plants and insects that you might see as you watched the squirrels. This story takes place outside and apartment building, but could be used in a more rural Vermont setting just as easily. Children can learn how to safe ...more
Chelsea Kimmey
The rhyming pattern of the text aids reading. In class we covered parts of the words and created a brainstorming exercise of what we could use instead if the rhyming word
Lois Ehlert's books are always so visually interesting. My son loves this book about a mischievous squirrel who comes in the house through a tear in the screen.
Lynn Plourde
Great title, rhyming, perfect tall format, fun collage illustrations--it's all squirrel all the time (including extra squirrel facts in the back matter).
Ashley Wesner
Would be great for a squirrel storytime! I love how it names objects the squirrel goes by and the glossary in the back is awesome!
Candace Offutt
This was a very cute book that has a lot of rhyming. It would be great to teach children about making predictions.
Brooke Birchler
This is a really cute story about a squirrel and what he does. This whole story rhymes, which would be good to use with students when talking about words that rhyme.
Oct 20, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: autumn/squirrel requests
I love Ehlert and I always use this squirrel story for my autumn Toddler time. 10/19/11

I used it with my PreK class today, so I would have an excuse to play Grey Squirrel on Sing It, Stamp It, Say It & everybody got up and shoke their bushy tail. We also did a squirrel finger play. 9/24/12

Used in my Baby/Toddler Lap Time and it went over quite well. Still having trouble finding young autumn books I like. 9/25/13

Used in Story Time and it went over the best with the small, young group. Now I h
Helen Jeffries
A good book to teach younger children predicting. The text is easy to read with rhyming.
Nick Shaffer
I loved this book. The rhyming pattern makes it predictable and just brings it together.
Patricia Schroader
Cute. Squirrel tells story. To preachy about cutting down trees.
Read for Early Headstart 9.18.2014

Read for Headstart 9.25.2014
Amanda Hicks
This is an adorable picture book that is great for having kids predict what will happen next, or predicting what words rhyme.
PB:27 Nuts to You!. The story was quite interesting and this squirrel acted like any other one out in nature. The pictures were so cool and definately grabbed your attention. I have always wanted to have a pet squirrel and this story makes me want one even more now! I really liked how their was identifictions about squirrels at the end which can really help children learn more about them. I myself, learned a lot of new things I never knew about squirrels like them only having four toes in their ...more
Leila T.
I really felt like the appearance and layout of the illustrations wasn't considered fully. The style of pictures is very particular, and I felt enough attention wasn't paid to how things like contrast and colour would come out in printing. There were also a couple of pages where an item that was the focus of the text was tucked down into a corner of the page, or even cut off by the margin of the paper. Odd. Otherwise the rhyming element of the text is pretty cute, except I also didn't like some ...more
Mar 27, 2008 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: squirrels, children, and those who like them
What I love most about this book was how I came to know the children's room desk at the library, and a woman comes up to the desk and says without any other preface: "Nuts to You."
I figured she wanted a book with that title, but we librarians are a whimsical lot, so I replied "Nuts to you, too, sister."
And of course, after she recovered, aided by my disarming smile, I searched for the book. And of course, the book was OUT. Ah, the library.
Our professor used this book as an example for substitute practice. There were lots of options for words to cover up and have the students figure out what might fit in the blank. At first there was a pattern of rhyming with lots of options that would fit and then towards the end she narrowed the options. Throughout the book, the author labeled the plants and animals and at the end there is more information about squirrels.
My kids and I thought this book was fun and educational. Many things are labeled (like parts of the birds, plants, etc) which is a great jumping off place for little scientists. And it's silly. Better for pre-k to kindergarten ages.

My husband thought it was stupid. Nuts to him!

I'm starting to develop a real love for Lois Ehlert. The simple text makes it appropriate for the youngest of readers. The nature depicted is accessible to children even in an urban environment. She labels her plants and animals, teaching me new things as well.
Carey Voignier

Great to use with students before feeding the squirrels and exploring different variety of nuts.
As always, Lois Ehlert has great illustrations, but I also really like this story (based on a true squirrel invasion!) and the information about squirrels that she puts in.
Candice Call
Along with leanring about nature, the students are able to read this book independently because of the context clues they get fromt he rhyming words in the book.
Emily Pinnick
This is such a neat book! The best part is how it labels things throughout the book so that kids can learn a little bit of science while they read. Cute book!
Katie Morrison
This is a fun and enjoyable read for children. The rhyming patterns helps the predictability of this story, thus helping to guide the reader.
  • The Busy Little Squirrel