Start by marking “The First 50 Pages: Engage Agents, Editors and Readers, and Set Your Novel Up for Success” as Want to Read:

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  43 reviews
First impressions are vital and the opening scenes of a novel are crucial if the reader is going to stick around until the story s end. What writers do in these opening pages, and how they do it, is a matter that cannot be left to chance. Whether a writer wants to craft a strong beginning right from the start or they have a complete manuscript and are ready to start sendin ...more
Published October 28th 2011 by Writers Digest Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The First 50 Pages, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First 50 Pages

K.M. Weiland
Beginnings are arguably the most difficult part of any story. We have to accomplish so much in such a short amount of time. No wonder some of us are driven to drink! Fortunately, Gerke has done us all a good turn by applying his many years of editorial experience to boiling down the demands of the first fifty pages into a straightforward and manageable checklist. Although I disagree with some of his conclusions, all in all, this book couldn't be more spot-on. It offers help for everything from t ...more
Libertad Araceli
Sometimes it was a bit repetitive and often contradicted information as the chapters went on, but the amount of useful information in this book is invaluable! Every aspiring author should read this book even if you have to find it in your local library. After reading this it encouraged me to go through the first 50 pages of my wip's and looks like I have a bit of work to do!

A must have read!
Cathrine Bonham
The hardest part of reading this book was reading that I can't start a book with a dream sequence or with someone getting out of a car or with a long winded introduction in which I explain everything the reader could possibly need to know in order to understand my story. In short every Idea I had for the opening of my novel is now off the table.

Don't misunderstand me this not a book of do not's it has plenty of do's. In fact Jeff Gerke is very encouraging. He never actually says that the world w
Jillian McComiskey
While this book did include a lot of helpful information, it could have been much more concise.

If you have trouble writing beginnings like me, this is definitely a good book to pick up. Seems like it was all information I already knew, but having it there in front of me, all in one place, where I could take notes and begin to fit my own story in there, that was great.

I wasn't too fond of how the book was written. It seemed to repeat itself and use example after example where one would have don
Erin Cole
Although this book is titled "The First 50 Pages," it really is about perfecting the entirety of your book, using the tools to get you noticed by an agent in the first 50 pages. What I admired most about the book were the straightforward examples. Many 'how-to-writing' books have too much fluff in them, and the examples, if any, are not clearly stated, weighted down with off-tangent personal experiences, or say what we already know.

Jeff Gerke uses techniques, such as "Can the camera see it?" in
Good advice in the six things not to do, great for the beginning writer. Then it falls apart... like a novel with a good first 50 pages that collapses after a strong opening.
Thomas Edmund
Between the dorky jokes, Gerke, successfully sells his thesis of how important set-up is in a novel.

Gerke covers: character, setting, first lines and initial suspense building - something that stood out from other 'writers on writing' is that Gerke goes to the effort of explaining how to follow the advise he espouses. For example rather than just saying "your character needs to be sympathetic" we are provided with methods of achieving this.

In short, a must read for those struggling through the w
Immensely helpful. I read this at a point in my revision process when I knew my manuscript needed a new beginning and I didn't want to waste any time doing it wrong. Again. Even though it focuses on the first 50 pages, the advice given is certainly not so limited in its scope. Now, however, I feel like I'm ruined when it comes to reading sub par openings. I will never look at first sentences the same way again.
Raymond Esposito
I think any book on writing style or writing for "success" is a difficult, if not impossible goal to achieve. Gerke easy to read and engaging non-fiction book does a good job in many aspects. Overall, it is apparent that he adheres to the latest trend in writing--to write like the story is a movie. While there are many beneficial aspects to the approach, such as character development, showing instead of telling, and creating page-turners, this advice won't work for every writer.

The book, however
This book is a solid 3.5 stars for me. I really wish goodreads had that option. Anyway, Gerke's writing is extremely accessible and easy to read. His tone is light, and the information he provides is clear. I was also pleasantly surprised to know most of his examples. However, most of his examples are movies (which I know is the in-thing now). I feel that looking at what movies are doing is important, but not discussing how the visual medium is different from the written medium is selling books ...more
Arlene Walker
Worth every penny I paid for this book. I learned so many helpful tips, tricks, and tactics. Recommended for writers, novices or professionals.
An invaluable guide to beginning your book. This is one for my keeper shelf. I know at some point I'll be reading and referencing this book again.
Guinevere Thomas
had great advice,but contradicted itself sometimes
A great book for anyone who is revising their first 50 pages. Written by author, editor, and publisher Jeff Gerke, this book is full of practical guidance on what to include in the first 50 pages to hook readers (including agents and editors) and set a story in motion. Although the number of things a writer needs to think about and pack into the first 50 pages can seem overwhelming when collected in one place like this, Gerke walks writers through it all in a way that makes the impossible seem a ...more
The First 50 Pages by Jeff Gerke is an insightful look at what agents and editors are truly looking for in the first 50 pages of a novel. The information is provided by an author/editor in an easy-to-understand manner.

I had the opportunity to hear Mr. Gerke speak at the Writer’s Digest Conference in January and I immediately jumped in line to get a copy of his book signed. He was a terrific speaker who provided lots of examples and explanations. His workshop was one of the best at the conference
Lisa Annesley
4.5s Jeff Gerke begins the first 50 pages of The First 50 Pages with a review of the submissions process. Then he moves on to the meat of the book, which is "What Your First Fifty Pages Must Accomplish." I found this section engaging, easy to read, and inspiring. My highlighter flashed across the pages. My pencil filled notebook sheet after sheet with ideas sparked by Gerke's lessons. Do I agree with every tiny point in The First 50 Pages? No. Did I make a tremendous amount of progress on my WIP ...more
An in-depth look at how to set up the first main part of a novel, introducing the reader to the characters and plot in a way that will keep their interest.

With every line, paragraph, and page, the agent or editor is most likely going to kill your book in the morning. It is your task to “stay alive” as long as possible.

This book is a fabulous reference tool for making sure that a writer doesn’t metaphorically shoot him/herself in his/her foot within the first fifty pages. It focuses on the prob
Justin Tyme
An easy read with great material for novelists whom have either looking to revise a completed draft, or for those whom are starting. I wish I would have read this before I finished my first draft. It would have saved time rewriting. On the other hand, I wouldn't have had as much appreciation for the Jeff Gerke's insights.

A few of the things that set this book apart from other author self-help books is that it:
1. Focuses on crafting your novel for the market, both the reader and the editor/agent
Caleb Lang
This is a great book for anyone that wants to write. Gerke came from the publishing acquisition world and lays out the things that will get your manuscript rejected by editors. The First 50 Pages also is full of tips to improve your writing. Gerke uses scenes from movies and books to explain writing tactics to improve your work. I learned a lot from reading this book. I highly recommend it!
I've read so many books on writing that a lot of times I find only a nugget of wisdom here and there. Not in this case. I enjoyed his writing style, his examples, and I gleaned so much helpful information that I can't wait to get back to my beginning and write while the author's words are still fresh in my mind.

A great resource.
Interesting read. Helped me tweak and polish the first two chapters of my manuscript to send off as a portfolio for a creative writing program, and gave me valuable information that I'll keep with me while continuing my writing. There are a few things I didn't agree with, but writing is very subjective.
Aaron Borgerding
"The First 50 Pages" gives great advice and direction on how to make sure your work will make it onto an editors desk and survive. Jeff Gerke is writing from the perspective of many years experience writing and editing for traditional publishers. However, this book is not just for those interested in using the traditional publishing market. In the first part of his book Mr. Gerke walks his readers through a the proposal process with advice on how to avoid rejection. The second part introduces a ...more
Kristin Meachem
This book is brilliant, an excellent companion to Donald Maass teachings. In fact DM did the blurb on the cover. Would strongly recommend for my writing friends.
This has been the best 'how-to' on writing book I've read so far--very comprehensible. I think (and hope) this one will help me a lot. Definitely a practical book that delivers its suggestions with clarity.
This really hit the spot. Numerous times Mr. Gerke inspired me with information I could immediately put into practice. One of the best books on the craft of writing!
Aron Edwards
Seemingly very good advice, enjoyable to read, only time will tell if this can me make any writing I may choose to do palatable.
Very helpful. I'm sure I will read this book several times.
Jessica Vasko
I seem to consume these books faster than any others. This book has given me a lot to think about in terms of my WIP, and I can't wait to get another one of Jeff's books, Plot Versus Character, to see what insights it has for the development of my protagonist. Now, I think I might just go back and read this again, a little more slowly!
Philisha Stephens
I've just recently started to try a write a novel. In preparing to submit my story for a contest, I had a friend review it and quickly learned that there is a lot more to writing than just putting ink on paper. So, I bought this book thinking that anything could help me and so far this book is a home run! Jeff takes the reader through the whole process of what an editor is not wanting that I have already revised my manuscript and it is a much better story now.

Thanks for all the great insight!
D.D. Larsen
I really loved this book. Jeff Gerke has hit a home run with this one. He packed it with great advice and delivered it in an entertaining manner. I would say this is one of the best "how to" writing books I've come across. I'd definitely recommend it to any novelists interested in making their book's first fifty pages as compelling as possible.
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time
  • Breathing Life into Your Characters
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-By-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book
  • The Plot Thickens: 8 Ways to Bring Fiction to Life
  • What Would Your Character Do?: Personality Quizzes for Analyzing Your Characters
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • First Draft in 30 Days: A Novel Writer's System for Building a Complete and Cohesive Manuscript
  • The Plot Whisperer: Secrets of Story Structure Any Writer Can Master
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • Your First Novel: A Published Author and a Top Agent Share the Keys to Achieving Your Dream
  • Dynamic Characters: How to Create Personalities That Keep Readers Captivated
  • Dialogue: Techniques and exercises for crafting effective dialogue
  • Showing & Telling: Learn How to Show & When to Tell for Powerful & Balanced Writing
  • Rivet Your Readers with Deep Point of View

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »