Start by marking “Introducing Ethics” as Want to Read:
Introducing Ethics

Introducing Ethics

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Ethics is the burning issue of current moral philosophical thought.
Published January 7th 1997 by Totem Books (first published February 10th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Ethics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Ethics

Mike Jensen
I like this book for what it does, but have problems with the issues it skips.

WHAT IT DOES: Covers the history of ethical philosophy from Plato to post-modernism concisely and informatively. States the different ethical schools clearly. Demonstrates the strengths and problems with each. Shows that all ethical systems break down when examined, except possibly post-modernism. (Give that time guys, p-m is too new to be demolished by the next generation of philosophers yet.) Gives a devastating post
Catherine
The book is largely a historical survey of the Western ethical tradition, but it ends on a discussion of particular ethical issues (the environment, the treatment of animals, and euthanasia). I like the whimsical graphics featured in this series, and the explanations are generally quite clear. However, I found that Robinson's opinion of particular thinkers bled through at times (e.g., he uses the word "dull" in reference to Aristotle's ideas more than once).

My more serious objection is to the b
Cocopuffs
It's just an overview, I started to enjoy it but it was a little too brief. I wanted more detail but great overview
Erika_kartmann
Das Buch bietet einen schnellen Einstieg in die Geschichte der Ethik von der Antike bis in die Postmoderne. Der Fokus liegt hier eindeutig auf der sogenannten westlichen Philiosophie.
Am Schluss werden aktuelle Themen wie Sterbehilfe und Tierethik behandelt.

So ein Sachcomic schwebt zwischen Baum und Borke,
einerseits soll er für Anfänger und Laien einen einfachen Einstieg bilden, andererseits soll er Menschen mit Vorwissen nicht langweilen und Experten auf dem Gebiet sollte er bestenfalls unterhal
Michael
Feb 20, 2015 Michael marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A short overview of the philosophy of ethics. Lots and lots of -ists and -isms: Objectivism, subjectivism, utiltarianism, post-modernism, and many others. I have been meaning to drop the phrase "categorical imperative" in a sentence for a long time. You Kant stop me! (That's a little philosophy humor). I like Plato, Aristotle, and Augustine much more than Nietzsche, Sartre, and Derrida. I was most intrigued by the idea of feminist ethics, which the author summarized as S.H.E: sane, humane, and e ...more
Jess
This book is an overview of ethics and is just too brief in detail to be a true introduction. However, a further reading section is provided should you want to delve further into the topic. As information was so brief about each philosopher I found it difficult to get into this book although I did enjoy the sections that looked at ethics in relation to the environment, treatment of animals and euthanasia. This book provides a nice overview but if you are interested in a more in depth look at eth ...more
Myles Curtis
yea, it was a good refresher. want to check out gramsci, nussbaum, and bauman now.
Jeanie Morkel
A good and fun way of introducing the ignoramus to past and contemporary issues in ethics and morality.
Michelle Lynne
I got a handful of the "A Graphic Guide" books, so this was the first one I actually delved into, and I'm pretty thankful I got them. This book was really helpful for me to understand things about philosophers and concepts that I learned about in high school! The Graphic Guide made things a lot simpler to understand without seeming condescending. I really enjoyed the learning experience and am looking forward to reading more of this series!
Tom
This gives a very good overview for students of philosophy/ethics at A-Level and upwards. By it's very nature it is only a brief sketch of the various schools of thought but there is enough here to build on further or, like me, help go over ideas that have become somewhat hazy since I last did philosophy as a course.
Abe Something
Too loose of an overview to really serve as a good introduction. To the book's credit, it did provide the titles of essays and books by key figures in the field which is helpful to those of us looking for a greater understanding of the subject matter.
A solid introduction to the subject of ethics. It gives an overview of ethical theories throughout time and also has a closer look at animal rights and environmental ethics.
Karen Jett
Excellent summary of the history of ethics from a philosophical viewpoint. I loved the use of 'comics' to illustrate each point. Note: this is an overview as the title indicates.
Ahmed Harfoush
Concise. Good. Informative. Had to look up words in the dictionary many times :)
Thieluar
Informative, clear, funny and easy to understand.
April
in case you want to feel less bad about yourself
Mohamed Farhi
Mohamed Farhi marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Ama
Ama marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Becky Black
Becky Black marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
FraMe
FraMe marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Dylan Reynolds
Dylan Reynolds marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Joanna
Joanna added it
Jul 12, 2015
Jordyn
Jordyn marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Mohamed Farah
Mohamed Farah is currently reading it
Jun 27, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Modernism
  • Introducing Logic
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Foucault
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Postmodernism
  • Introducing Chomsky
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Introducing Jung
  • Introducing Genetics, New Edition (Introducing (Icon))
More about Dave Robinson...
Introducing Philosophy Introducing Plato Introducing Kierkegaard Introducing Descartes Nietzsche and Postmodernism