The Manhattan Beach Project

The Manhattan Beach Project

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Barely four years after winning an Oscar, Charlie has sunk into the ranks of Hollywood bottom-feeders -- reduced to living in his nephew's pool house, kiting checks and taking the bus to his weekly Debtors Anonymous meeting, where he meets a mysterious ex-CIA agent who proposes to resuscitate Charlie's foundering career -- in the beyond surreal world of reality TV.Charlie...more
Published February 1st 2005 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Manhattan Beach Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manhattan Beach Project

Denise
Charlie is a washed out Hollywood producer sinking into debt with no way out. Then a mysterious man shows up at his Debtor's Anonymous meeting with an offer he can't refuse. Soon Charlie is deeply mired in a reality show about an Uzbek warlord, madly dodging bullets and tweaking subtitles, trying to stay alive and to keep his crazy show alive. Eventually it will all fall apart, the only question is when.

Hilarious! The Manhattan Beach Project is the perfect parody of the reality show craze. Peter...more
Lea Wentworth
I got into this book as I was reading it. This is well written suspense and action with funny commentary on the entertainment industry. This book fails the Bechdel test. The female characters are shallow and belittled.

I was given this book at the library in the "blind date with a book" program. I probably won't read any more Lefcourt, but I will totally let the library set me up again sometime!
Katherine
This book is hilarious. A dried up Hollywood guy goes to Turkmenistan to shoot a reality TV show called "Warlord." You know, kind of like The Osbournes, only the head of the family is... a warlord. But to up the ratings, the producers start taking liberties while translating the subtitles... with possibly fatal consequences if their main character ever figures it out. Meanwhile, they have to fend off the Turkmenistan army, the CIA and the Taliban... it's crazy, but funny and clever, not just gra...more
Gerald
This story continues where the character and the plot of The Deal: A Novel of Hollywood left off.

I really wonder whether Sacha Baron Cohen read this book before he wrote his movie Borat. The plots aren't similar but the places and characters are similarly satirized.
Len
A fun little read and just what I needed after the heavy non-fiction I had just finished. No National Book awards here, but a crazy story and a few laugh out loud moments.
Sharon Glassman
ragingly, scathingly funny. an afternoon of bliss with a cup of tea and a TV guide to remember you while it's satirical, this portrait of LA and TV is far from fictional...
Jamie
this could have been easily 100 pages shorter if everything was not repeated 50 times. the writing could almost be ok, but it wasn't.
Val
Nov 04, 2008 Val rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: airplane riders, satire lovers
This is a very funny, rapidly paced, well written satire much like a Carl Hiasson novel but with more likable characters.
Jayne
Not nearly as good as the Dreyfus Affair by this author. DAffair is about baseball, pr and sex!
Mnsheryl
Loved this book. We lived in Tashkent Uzbekistan and could totally relate to some of the scenes.
Sherry
This was a fun read. It was a nice send-up of the television industry and reality TV.
Alia
Jan 08, 2010 Alia is currently reading it
cheap but fun- reminds me of the book from which the movie "wag the dog" was made
Julie
Funny then - and way funnier now that I live in this part of the world.
Lee
Laugh out loud funny.
Marci Monroe
Marci Monroe marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
David Judelsohn
David Judelsohn marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
David Judelsohn
David Judelsohn marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
Joris
Joris marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Chad T
Chad T marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Anthony Nesbitt
Anthony Nesbitt marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Ming Steve
Ming Steve marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Peter Lefcourt is a refugee from the trenches of Hollywood, where he has distinguished himself as a writer and producer of film and television. Among his credits are "Cagney and Lacey," for which he won an Emmy Award; "Monte Carlo," in which he managed to keep Joan Collins in the same wardrobe for 35 pages; the relentlessly sentimental "Danielle Steel's Fine Things," and the underrated and hurried...more
More about Peter Lefcourt...
The Dreyfus Affair: A Love Story The Deal: A Novel of Hollywood The Woody The First Time I Got Paid For It: Writers' Tales From The Hollywood Trenches Di and I