Clojurescript: Up and Running

Clojurescript: Up and Running

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This book will be an introduction and guide to using ClojureScript, targeted at developers who know JavaScript and are willing to learn Clojure.
Published October 25th 2012 by O'Reilly Media (first published August 22nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Clojurescript, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clojurescript

Alex Ott
Good introduction into ClojureScript. It tries to cover both basics of Clojure together with ClojureScript, but for people who know Clojure this isn't required, while for novice, they should read other Clojure book anyway, so about half of the book could be omitted.

Most of content from the book already available on ClojureScript's wiki, and in great series of articles at https://github.com/magomimmo/modern-cljs
Rob
An (apocryphal?) tale:[^1] when Brendan Eich unveiled the original JavaScript (nee LiveScript, nee Mocha) prototype at (then) Netscape, it was a Lisp.[^2] It was only at management's insistence that the language received a C-like syntax, and even then it was mostly to have some kind of syntactic parity with Java (with which it was supposed to provide some "glue"). Now: if you think about JavaScript using this lens, then it is easy to conjure up images of ClojureScript as "the JavaScript that cou...more
Stefan Kanev
It's an OK book, but I'm not satisfied with it.

I know Clojure and I expected a book that throws me in ClojureScript. Half of it explains the syntax and the language. I did not need that and more importantly, I don't think a reader can get the language from the book. The actual part I cared about - ClojureScript specifics - was brief and not very interesting. It covered a bit of compilation, differences between Clojure and ClojureScript in here and there in the next and a bit of leiningen. It cou...more
Joakin
Short book to get you up and running with clojurescript.
Thing that you can do on your own as easily going to the clojure/clojurescript wiki on github and reading there, and reading a couple of posts from google, also having the advantage of being up to date in the future.

Also lets hope they pull off the self hosted compiler and cljs becomes a fully independent language instead of a clj jvm toy companion, leaving this book completely obsolete.

Not worth it.
Ryan  O'Neill
A nice introduction to ClojureScript. It covers just enough to get you started building ClojureScript applications including some syntax, build tools (leiningen), and some examples. The book is a short one and leaves many topics uncovered, which is fine, but it fails to indicate where to go from here to learn more and start really using ClojureScript.
Xavier

This could just as easily be Clojure up an running which is no bad thing. I think there's still room for a more detailed book on using clojurescript in real world apps, but as an introductory book I thought this worked well. It's also structured and written very well, so kudos to the editorial and technical team as well as the authors.
Hussein
I can't see why ClojureScript needs a book. If you are not Clojure developer, this book isn't for you. You need to learn Clojure first. If you are Clojure developer, what you really care about is only about 15 ~ 20 pages.

It is too early for ClojureScript to have a book. This book should be released as online articles.
Pavel
Good book, and it definitely serves its purpose! But if you are already familiar with Clojure, you would probably want to see more practical and deep examples of how to build more or less complex applications with unit tests and all that.

Anyway, I'm happy I read it and thanks to the authors.
Aku
Concise book on ClojureScript that captures the essentials and encourages one to play with ClojureScript. Inadequate by itself to support development of a real web application. Severely lacking depth wrt. examples, library coverage and testing.
Todd Webb
After reading a couple Clojure books and working on some learning projects with the language this was a pretty easy read. There were some good nuggets of information. Worth a read if you want to give Clojurescript a try.
Dmitriy
Good and short introduction to ClojureScript which you can easily read in a day. Most of the book's content can be found as a series of articles here: https://github.com/magomimmo/modern-cljs
Anthonyl
Very basic introduction, it was good introduction to setting up a project and some of the interop concepts but definitely not a book you will keep near you for reference for guidance.
Nicholas Quirk
Short and sweet. It's a good introduction to the language, but it will leave you craving more. You should accompany this with some online tutorials or blogs.
Michael
Was a tech reviewer.
Alexander Petrov
Alexander Petrov marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Claudia Doppioslash
Claudia Doppioslash is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
Fatih Akın
Fatih Akın is currently reading it
Jun 17, 2014
Mike Romaniv
Mike Romaniv marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »