Das Herz von Dublin

Das Herz von Dublin

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  1,368 ratings  ·  36 reviews
A society hostess invites her husband’s mistress to dinner. A country girl savours the delights of city life. A student faces the dilemma of unmarried pregnancy. A drink-ridden photographer tries to relaunch a shattered career.

Dublin 4 has all of Maeve Binchy’s intimate grasp of human feelings, her marvellous ear for dialogue and her subtle sense of life’s confusion. The s...more
Published September 1st 2003 by Droemer Knaur (first published 1982)

Raina
Ok. First of the 4 stories was actually pretty interesting--a woman plans a dinner party and invites friends as well as her husband's mistress. Does she, or doesn't she, know that the woman is her husband's mistress? Suspenseful. The middle two stories really weren't all that great, and the last story was a train wreck. You knew that the train wreck was going to happen, it was just a matter of time, but still, you hope you're wrong and that the story will end happily. But of course it doesn't.
C.J. Prince
Four tales, too long for a short story but not quite long enough for a novella, but ever so engaging. Perfect quick read for commuters. (I just became aware that people are looking for short reads for traveling on public transportation to work.) This is it. These characters will linger with you. They will nudge your judgments. What would you do in the situation?

Lest I forget, please note that Maeve Binchy is a top of the line story teller, a good writer and weaves minute details, tucked in so e...more
Bronwyn Rykiert
I am not really a great fan of short stories and these were okay but the endings, for me, were rather abrubt and so I think there was more that should have been told.

In the first one Carmel, the wife of a bank manager, Dermot, is having a dinner party and asks Dermot's mistress to the dinner party which is being held on the opening night of her art exhibition. The thing is Carmel never has dinner parties and everyone else who has been asked know that Dermot is having an affair but does Carmel. I...more
Michele
I much prefer full novels to short stories but thought I would try this collection of four stories as I very much enjoyed the author's final book "A Week in Winter." None of these stories were upbeat although some had a sadder feel than others. The first story about a society woman who is trying to save her marriage was the best as it was written almost like a mystery with the reader not knowing where it was going for quite a while. I didn't care much for the themes of adultery, alcoholism, unwe...more
Allison
Every once in a while I read something that reminds me that reading is supposed to be pleasurable. These are good, perceptive, entertaining stories with plenty to say, and they say it deftly.
C.
I now know the pleasure of Maeve Binchy’s fiction! I'm sorry to meet this beautiful person's insight the year of her passing (July 2012). But I have all of her work to look forward to. "Dublin 4" from 1982, comprises short stories that some feel concluded early. I would love to see Carmel's much sweated-over soirée from "Dinner In Donnybrook", or learn how Pat conducted her pregnancy in "Decision In Belfield" but I immediately grasped that an outcome wasn't the point.

I'm convinced what Maeve did...more
Tinkerpuppet
Maeve Binchy was a favourite author of mine years ago. I always enjoyed her stories set in beautiful Ireland, they were nice, simple reads. This is the first of her short story books I've read. Maybe I'm just not a fan of short stories, but none of the stories in this book really grabbed me. They were easy, short reads, but left no impression one way or the other. I will be rereading some of her old books to see if maybe my tastes in reading have just changed.
Molly
As usual, Maeve has really impressed me. She has such an ability to really get at the heart of human emotions. This collection of short stories really captured my interest and it was also a nice quick read. I finished it in a day. I love how she always manages to have the perspective of so many different characters without ever losing you, she has a real talent for this. Overall the stories were very good, but they were a bit dark. They all were very well written and put together, but left me fe...more
Stasha
A nice collection of short stories. My favourite was "Dinner in Donneybrook"--just goes to show that things are not always as they seem. The second story was quite amusing, however I was eager to find out what happened to the roommates in that one. The third story I thought was kind of misleading;I thought it would have been about the protagonist, but it was only in the end that it became about her. As for the last one, it was interesting, but I thought that it ended too abruptly.I was expecting...more
Catherine
This book consists of four novellas, all of which feature some interesting characters. However, the ending to each and every one is rather depressing and inconclusive. I usually love Maeve Binchy's books, but I wish I had skipped this one.
Cortney
This was a classic Maeve Binchy book, in fact I think it was one of her first books. I liked the book, it's 4 short stories, not my favorite by her, but really I just love Maeve Binchy. Her characters and stories are so great, quintessentially Irish. There is one short story, Flat in Ringsend, that I especially relate to now that I'm over here in Ireland. That character and her story could be me and how I feel at times here.
Mrs Mac McKenzie
This is a book of 4 short stories (which took me a little while to work out) about four different people in Dublin and the experiences they have and relationships they have with different people.

This is a great read for people who like to read about relationships and people. I do like Maeve Binchy's writing.
Debb24601
As a way to mark Maeve Binchy's passing, I'm rereading all her wonderful books and adding them to my shelves. Most of them I haven't read in years and it's always interesting to revisit a story at a different stage of your life. New filter, new way to relate to a story. This one hit me hard. :(
Barbra
In my opinion, this is not one of her best but still quite readable.

Back Cover Blurb:
A novel, bringing together the life stories of ordinary people including a student facing the dilemma of unwanted pregnancy and a country girl savouring the delights of the city.
Teri Pre
I usually love Maeve Binchy's books but this one was terrible!! There were 5 (maybe 6) short stories with little beginning, boring, whining middle and no ending! If this were the first book I'd read by this author, I'd never read anything by her again!!
Becky
This is a book of 4 short stories. I am just not a fan. There is not enough time to develop character. I feel like I was plunked down into the middle of a novel and then taken out just as it is getting good. I was left thinking "AND???"
Susannahboudreaux
A book of 4 short stories... The first of which is very intriguing but it leaves off just as you are about to find out what happens. The other 3 stories were a bit melancholy and not particularly to my liking. Just a so-so read.
Jayne Charles
Rather hit and miss, I thought. I liked Victoria Line Central Line, but with perhaps the exception of the first story, I found these a little hard to get into, and lacking Maeve Binchy's usual warmth and characterisation.
Louann
Read this as part of a 3 in 1 book. It did not seem to be finished. It was liked she stopped in the middle. Her later books are much better. So glad I did not start with this 2 in 1 set as I would not be a fan of hers now.
Merrill
Trademark Binchy, all good, but like most short stories they left me wanting more. I prefer her full-length novels, especially earlier works like Circle of Friends and The Glass Lake.
Sharon
A collection of four short stories, each set in Dublin. Binchy gives a great feel of Dublin society, although I'm glad I don't live with these repressed people.
Katie Q
Taking 4 different scenarios that could be part of any household and telling their story is wonderful. Full of lots of laughs a very compelling read.
Jeannie
I liked it. She has us do all the work of drawing our own conclusions at the end and I really prefer a solid as a rock ending.
Patty
I prefer her novels, but these 4 short stories still delivered Binchy's spot on character development.
Engy Moussa
Amazing as always expected from Binchy...
Highly recommended to happily spend some leisure peaceful time ;)
Kimberly
Not a fan of short stories, but I am a fan of Maeve Binchy. Expected more out of these books.
Tara Russell
Thoughtful stories, nice character insights but not as satisfying as later Binchy.
Kathy
Excellent short stories of Ireland's everyday people. HIGHLY recommend!
Ckolleen
I didn't really like this book. I wanted to know more about the stories.
Danielle
Maeve Binchy is as enjoyable as ever in this tale of Dublin.
  • Irish Girls Are Back in Town
  • What She Wants
  • The Tavern on Maple Street
  • The Loving Spirit
  • Paradise House
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Despite the fact she describes herself as an overweight child it was her parents attitude that gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she is today.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while....more
More about Maeve Binchy...
Tara Road Circle of Friends Evening Class Scarlet Feather Quentins