Start by marking “Das Herz von Dublin” as Want to Read:
Das Herz von Dublin

Das Herz von Dublin

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,882 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
A society hostess invites her husband’s mistress to dinner. A country girl savours the delights of city life. A student faces the dilemma of unmarried pregnancy. A drink-ridden photographer tries to relaunch a shattered career.

Dublin 4 has all of Maeve Binchy’s intimate grasp of human feelings, her marvellous ear for dialogue and her subtle sense of life’s confusion. The s
Published September 1st 2003 by Droemer Knaur (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Das Herz von Dublin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das Herz von Dublin

Ok. First of the 4 stories was actually pretty interesting--a woman plans a dinner party and invites friends as well as her husband's mistress. Does she, or doesn't she, know that the woman is her husband's mistress? Suspenseful. The middle two stories really weren't all that great, and the last story was a train wreck. You knew that the train wreck was going to happen, it was just a matter of time, but still, you hope you're wrong and that the story will end happily. But of course it doesn't.
C.J. Prince
Feb 26, 2014 C.J. Prince rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Four tales, too long for a short story but not quite long enough for a novella, but ever so engaging. Perfect quick read for commuters. (I just became aware that people are looking for short reads for traveling on public transportation to work.) This is it. These characters will linger with you. They will nudge your judgments. What would you do in the situation?

Lest I forget, please note that Maeve Binchy is a top of the line story teller, a good writer and weaves minute details, tucked in so e
Bronwyn Rykiert
I am not really a great fan of short stories and these were okay but the endings, for me, were rather abrubt and so I think there was more that should have been told.

In the first one Carmel, the wife of a bank manager, Dermot, is having a dinner party and asks Dermot's mistress to the dinner party which is being held on the opening night of her art exhibition. The thing is Carmel never has dinner parties and everyone else who has been asked know that Dermot is having an affair but does Carmel. I
Mar 28, 2013 Michele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I much prefer full novels to short stories but thought I would try this collection of four stories as I very much enjoyed the author's final book "A Week in Winter." None of these stories were upbeat although some had a sadder feel than others. The first story about a society woman who is trying to save her marriage was the best as it was written almost like a mystery with the reader not knowing where it was going for quite a while. I didn't care much for the themes of adultery, alcoholism, unwe ...more
Jan 16, 2014 Catherine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audiobook
This book consists of four novellas, all of which feature some interesting characters. However, the ending to each and every one is rather depressing and inconclusive. I usually love Maeve Binchy's books, but I wish I had skipped this one.
Allison Floyd
Every once in a while I read something that reminds me that reading is supposed to be pleasurable. These are good, perceptive, entertaining stories with plenty to say, and they say it deftly.
Oct 19, 2012 C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: up-to-2012
I now know the pleasure of Maeve Binchy’s fiction! I'm sorry to meet this beautiful person's insight the year of her passing (July 2012). But I have all of her work to look forward to. "Dublin 4" from 1982, comprises short stories that some feel concluded early. I would love to see Carmel's much sweated-over soirée from "Dinner In Donnybrook", or learn how Pat conducted her pregnancy in "Decision In Belfield" but I immediately grasped that an outcome wasn't the point.

I'm convinced what Maeve did
Maeve Binchy was a favourite author of mine years ago. I always enjoyed her stories set in beautiful Ireland, they were nice, simple reads. This is the first of her short story books I've read. Maybe I'm just not a fan of short stories, but none of the stories in this book really grabbed me. They were easy, short reads, but left no impression one way or the other. I will be rereading some of her old books to see if maybe my tastes in reading have just changed.
Nov 01, 2015 Els rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maeve Binchy is een geweldige schrijfster en hoewel haar oudere werken een beetje gedateerd zijn (wat logisch is), blijven het mooie boeken. Deze telt slechts 208 blz en is een verzameling kortverhalen. De titel geeft het al aan : 4 verhalen die zich afspelen in Dublin. De tekening op de cover maakt duidelijk dat, telkens, een vrouw de hoofdrol speelt, dat zij haar leven in handen moet nemen en ze doen het allemaal op hun eigen manier.
De eerste twee hebben een factor spanning. De twee andere heb
Feb 18, 2016 Katja rated it liked it
Recht kurze Erzählungen, die allesamt Einblick in die persönlichen kleinen wie großen Probleme eines Dubliner Bürgers geben: eine ungewollte Schwangerschaft, Alkoholismus, Erwachsenwerden durch den Umzug in die Großstadt, die junge und erfolgreiche Geliebte des Mannes. Diese Geschichten könnten fast überall spielen, der Bezug zu Dublin, dieser wunderbaren dirty old Town, fehlt mir jedoch. (Februar 2016)
Margie Swanson
Apr 18, 2016 Margie Swanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four short stories are presented but not actually finished. The author lets you decide what happens. A society hostess invites her husband's mistress to dinner. A young girl wants to try Dublin's city lights . A student is facing an unwanted pregnancy and a man with family has trouble dealing with his drinking problem. Maeve Binchy can really weave a story, rich in Irish phrases.
Jul 04, 2014 Carla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Nice book with 4 stories by Maeve Binchy that I quickly read during a boring afternoon. Great storyteller, although I didn't like some of the stories. The first story was great and made me want for more. The second however (country girl moves to the big city of Dublin) made me feel itchy. In general I really like the books of Maeve Binchy, but didn't think this was her best one.
Aug 07, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of four different stories that involve you in the lives of their chaacters.

The stories encompass you but leave you without a concrete ending.... you know what is going to happen but you don't know how it ends.

Interesting way to leave the ends and makes you want her to continue the stories so it's not all left to imagination.
Oct 17, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a collection of 4 short stories that was a part of the Lilac Bus edition I read. I typically don't like short stories because they are too short. And I still feel that way after reading these-- YES they were great writing as Maeve Binchy always does, but I was left "wanting more" and wanting "the rest of the story" with each one.
Sharon Zink
Feb 28, 2015 Sharon Zink rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I love to read anything by Maeve Binchy. The only reason I didn't rate this with five stars is that it is a collection of four "long" short stories instead of a novel. As always, Ms. Binchy takes mundane incidents and by making the characters interesting, she makes the occurrences significant.
Apr 14, 2016 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
As usual, Maeve has really impressed me. She has such an ability to really get at the heart of human emotions. This collection of short stories really captured my interest and it was also a nice quick read. I finished it in a day. I love how she always manages to have the perspective of so many different characters without ever losing you, she has a real talent for this. Overall the stories were very good, but they were a bit dark. They all were very well written and put together, but left me fe ...more
Debbie Kinsella
I enjoyed the short stories but it wouldn't make me want to run out and buy another book with short stories. If you love Maeve you will probably love it
Caitlin Dreger
Oct 01, 2014 Caitlin Dreger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoughly enjoyable collection of short stories. I enjoyed every immersion into these Dubliner's lives. One of the stories (the 2nd one) I found a bit over wrought but in the other 3 were so engaging that they made up for it. A great introduction to Binchy's wonderful brand of writing.
Aug 19, 2014 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have really enjoyed all of Maeve Binchy's books so far, but this one just wasn't up there with the rest. Each story didn't seem to have a true ending.
Jul 07, 2014 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story writer who makes you want to know what happens next and keeps you reading.
Feb 26, 2011 Stasha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice collection of short stories. My favourite was "Dinner in Donneybrook"--just goes to show that things are not always as they seem. The second story was quite amusing, however I was eager to find out what happened to the roommates in that one. The third story I thought was kind of misleading;I thought it would have been about the protagonist, but it was only in the end that it became about her. As for the last one, it was interesting, but I thought that it ended too abruptly.I was expecting ...more
Apr 17, 2014 Lacretia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Typical Maeve, love her stories.
This was a classic Maeve Binchy book, in fact I think it was one of her first books. I liked the book, it's 4 short stories, not my favorite by her, but really I just love Maeve Binchy. Her characters and stories are so great, quintessentially Irish. There is one short story, Flat in Ringsend, that I especially relate to now that I'm over here in Ireland. That character and her story could be me and how I feel at times here.
May 24, 2015 Marg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good light read
Nov 20, 2014 Janine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read short stories in ages, these where really good.
Mrs Mac McKenzie
Aug 23, 2009 Mrs Mac McKenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uk, family, relationships
This is a book of 4 short stories (which took me a little while to work out) about four different people in Dublin and the experiences they have and relationships they have with different people.

This is a great read for people who like to read about relationships and people. I do like Maeve Binchy's writing.
Aug 27, 2012 Debb24601 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a way to mark Maeve Binchy's passing, I'm rereading all her wonderful books and adding them to my shelves. Most of them I haven't read in years and it's always interesting to revisit a story at a different stage of your life. New filter, new way to relate to a story. This one hit me hard. :(
Sep 19, 2008 Barbra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In my opinion, this is not one of her best but still quite readable.

Back Cover Blurb:
A novel, bringing together the life stories of ordinary people including a student facing the dilemma of unwanted pregnancy and a country girl savouring the delights of the city.
Teri Pre
Dec 31, 2013 Teri Pre rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
I usually love Maeve Binchy's books but this one was terrible!! There were 5 (maybe 6) short stories with little beginning, boring, whining middle and no ending! If this were the first book I'd read by this author, I'd never read anything by her again!!
Would have loved the stories to have each finished better, felt unfinished.
  • Year of the Virgins
  • Never Too Late
  • Outcast
  • Maeve Binchy: The Biography
  • Destinations
  • The Death of an Ardent Bibliophile (Peter McGarr, #11)
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
More about Maeve Binchy...