Start by marking “100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures” as Want to Read:
100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures

100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  6 reviews
100 Ingenious techniques for designing and creating amazing fantasy figures Concept designer Francis Tsai presents an exciting range of imaginative figures, with clear guidance on how to draw and paint your own. Here you will discover how to research and render a successful character, create mood using costumes, props and backdrops, and use design strategy to communicate s ...more
Unknown Binding, 241 pages
Published January 1st 2012 by Impact (first published September 18th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Ways to Create Fantasy Figures

Sparrowlicious
You might wonder "why only 3 stars?". I'll tell you the answer: Francis Tsai should've used his own advice and learn more about the human body. All his male characters are hulk-like in proportion when it comes to their upper and lower body. All his female characters look exactly the same, have bad poses (did this guy ever try standing the way he places his female characters? Probably not! He even has the gall to call a typical back stretching exercise (which you usually do when lying down) a 're ...more
Isis Sousa
Nov 07, 2012 Isis Sousa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Artists and Fantasy Art Lovers
This is one of my fav books, exactly because it ISN'T a "how to" book. Rather you have tips, and wonderful artwork images painted and drawn by Francis himself.

You read each tip and you get inspired and imagine the possibiities you have if you apply them to your art.

Highly inspirational, not to mention it has a very cool layout/design!

A must for Fantasy Art Lovers and Artists!
Katy
A good book for someone starting out in fantasy character design I couldn't say that it's a great aid as it seems to be more advice in what could be done rather then what you should do. Which i liked, but it also feels like something is missing.

It covers everything such as anatomy, painting, colour and sketches only it breezes over everything not going into great depth. The sketches for me were the most interesting, some of the art was amazing but some were quite simply less then impressive. So
Parka

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

First of all, let me say that this book brings back memories of me playing Magic The Gathering cards. A lot of the illustrations in the book are from Wizards of the Coast. Francis Tsai is a concept artist and you can find his work on teamgt.com.

This book is not really on art techniques, there are no step-by-step tutorials to follow along. It's one that gives ideas to think about when trying to come up with a character.

That being said, the writeup for the book is
Tina
Not a learning book, more of an advice book from an great artist. Some if it have helped me, mostly to take my drawing more seriously. And some tips to make it more easy. I felt my heart more set on a path of being an consept artist after I read this book.
It's a great source of inspiration to your fantasy drawings.
F.P.
I never see this in real-life bookstores anymore so have been unable to buy it there. Is this book out of print? I guess I need to check different online sellers.
Vijay Varadan
Vijay Varadan marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Arnold
Arnold marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kyros411988yahoo.gr
Kyros411988yahoo.gr marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Kirasha Urqhart
Kirasha Urqhart marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Mickie
Mickie added it
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Extreme Worlds: The Complete Guide to Drawing and Painting Sci-Fi Art Draw and Painting Fantasy Art Lessons with Francis Tsai Books Bundle Anatomy - The Fantasy Artist's Bible Mercy Thompson:  Homecoming Mercy Thompson: Homecoming (Homecoming, #2)