The Galaxy Primes
read book* *Different edition

The Galaxy Primes

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  240 ratings  ·  14 reviews
They were four of the greatest minds in the Universe: Two men, two women, lost in an experimental spaceship billions of parsecs from home. And as they mentally charted the Cosmos to find their way back to earth, their own loves and hates were as startling as the worlds they encountered.
ebook
Published April 1st 2012 by Prologue Books (first published 1959)

Monica
Ah, old fashioned scifi space opera! Typical of E.E. "Doc" Smith, his heros and heroines are gorgeous hunks of men and women with stupendous mind powers and Boy Scout codes of ethics, out to bring order to the unruly universe. Untypical of Smith, this story is not all that good. The plot does not thicken so much as confuse. The characters are invested in bringing order to the universe in a very odd way and for reasons that are not all that clear. I think he tried to create a "universe as a livin...more
Steve
No likable characters. It's like every character is a Blackie duQuesne in personality. Ultimately in the service of Good, but still jerks.
Bard Bloom
Well, I am quite fond of E.E. Smith's Skylark and Lensman books. I reread some of them recently, and had a blast.

Then I reread The Galaxy Primes. Oh, gods, but it's bad. I think it's Smith's attempt to write a romance, which is Smith's weakest literary point. The main characters are total Mary Sues: perfect of body and mind, godlike of power (viz. able to destroy planets with their psi powers), and, without exaggeration, the mightiest people in the whole galaxy and perhaps the whole universe.

An...more
Julia
Oct 26, 2008 Julia rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Julia by: Michael Ellsworth
Wow. Sometimes I forget that this stuff actually _is_ as badly written as I always make fun of it for being... And I start wondering how it got published and was popular, but then I remember that it was still pretty innovative to be talking about running around to other planets, so it doesn't really matter what you say about what was there, or how confused the author is about human relations, it would have seemed really cool. Though the imaginative bits actually read rather like someone writing...more
Bill Phelps
Not a bad representative from the "Golden Age" of Sci-Fi. Interesting that the challenge/antagonist is really the self in confronting a new technology: the good guys are their own bad guys.
Looking at this, I wonder if Smith intended the story to be about man's reaction as new technologies are discovered; the uncertainties, the immaturity, the self doubts that come when we encounter and need to adapt to new technologies.
Some of the character relations are dated, but in some ways this adds to the...more
Miles
Bad. I mean really bad. Couldn't finish it and wanted back the time I put into it sort of bad, plus I would've thrown the book if I hadn't been reading it in electronic format. Unlikable, perfect, super-powered cardboard characters travel space at random for no very good reason. Reads like a cross between the Gor novels and a Flash Gordon serial, taking some of the worst from both. Needless to say, not recommended.
Roddy Williams
Certainly not Smith in his prime, that's for sure. It's a bit sad that an author with such a reputation should end it like this. Apart from the lack of plot and characterisation, Smith attempts to inject a dose of permissive society sexuality which unfortunately comes across as being a little creepy.

I've always been a huge 'Doc' Smith fan, but this is something I won't be reading again.
Simon Ford
A rip roaring blast from the past, pre PC and all that entails.

Pure GOLDEN AGE space opera, as camp as a row of tents, a boys own adventure where men are MEN and the women don't wear much, has not moved with the times but who the hell cares, it's still a rollicking good story.
Frode
Haven't read a "Doc" Smith in quite a while, but I liked it. Technical, dated, interesting characters and a fertile mind, and still a lot of fun.
Lindsay
This didn't really go anywhere and the characters were pretty two dimensional. Reading this was a way to spend the time more than anything.
Peter
Old school Space Opera series written by the doyen of space opera writes - style and content a bit dated now but still an ok read
Stephen Hampshire
Every single one of his books is the same (and they are all equally preposterous), but that must be part of the charm.
Stephen Hampshire
Bruce
As space operas go, this one is pretty bad. Cardboard characters and no sense of danger or intrigue.
Simona
Simona marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Hikes in Rain
Hikes in Rain marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Everett Cole
Everett Cole is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Fred
Fred added it
Jun 25, 2014
Howard
Howard added it
Jun 25, 2014
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Mathew Carruthers
Mathew Carruthers marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Darlene Reilley
Darlene Reilley marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
  • Pilgrimage to Earth
  • A Life for the Stars (Cities in Flight, #2)
  • The Whole Man
  • Sargasso Of Space (Solar Queen, #1)
  • Brain Twister
  • David Starr, Space Ranger (Lucky Starr, #1)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • Empire of the Atom
  • Thousandstar (Cluster, #4)
  • The Stars at War II (Starfire, #1,4)
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • The Dragon Masters
  • Reap the Whirlwind (Star Trek: Vanguard, #3)
  • The Monster Men
  • Deathworld 3
  • The Survivors (Ragnarok, #1)
E.E. "Doc" Smith
Edward Elmer Smith
Edward E. Smith, Ph.D.
More about E.E. "Doc" Smith...
Triplanetary (Lensman, #1) Galactic Patrol (Lensman, #3) Gray Lensman (Lensman, #4) Second Stage Lensmen (Lensmen, #5) First Lensman (Lensman, #2)