Start by marking “A Cat and a Dog” as Want to Read:
A Cat and a Dog

Claire Masurel

A Cat and a Dog

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A cat and a dog live in the same house, but they are not friends. They fight all the time, about everything. Then disaster strikes. Dog's beloved ball bounces up into a tree and is stuck. Cat's precious stuffed mouse falls into the pond. Dog can't climb. Cat can't swim. What are they to do? Claire Masurel's simple text and Bob Kolar's bright, bold illustrations combine in ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by NorthSouth

To ask other readers questions about A Cat and a Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cat and a Dog

Lindsay
Books that are in both English and Spanish on the same page are heaven-sent when I plan for bilingual story time because I have the option to either do the story in English or Spanish. I think the pictures are very cute and pleasing for small children. It also isn't text heavy, so I don't have to make any adjustments for my audience of three- to six-year-olds. In the story, the cat and dog are enemies who live in the same house, but they learn to become friends by helping one another retrieve th ...more
Larissa
Jun 23, 2015 Larissa rated it really liked it
Masurel, Claire, and Bob Kolar. A Cat and a Dog. New York: North-South, 2001. Print. Ages 6-8. A Cat and a Dog is a very simple and not very educational or fun book that talks about the stories of a cat and a dog and how they do not get along. They fight over many things, and do never get along. This book was not one of my favorites, because it seems that it was published just for the heck of it and the purpose is not really potrayed other than the sense that students need to make sure that they ...more
Jane
My copy of this book is the bilingual version, The Cat and the Dog/Un gato y un pero.

This short story is an English Second Language teacher's dream. I present conflict resolution in both English and Spanish (and I realize than not all ESL students have Spanish as their first language but a larger number of preschool children entering preschool are coming with no ability to speak English). The ESL preschool children in my class love this short book, by the end of the school year; they could recit
Oct 06, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-mica
LOVE this book. First, my little 4.5 month daughter loves it. The colors are bright and bold and have great contrast. She loves hitting the cat and dog! I love that the Spanish translation is well done and we can read it to her in either English or Spanish. Plus, it's a cute story of a cat and dog who start out as enemies and become friends. What's not to love?
Patricia
El gato y el perro se pelean todo el tiempo. This is a cute, simple story of how a cat and a dog go from taunting and torturing one another to helping each other out and becoming friends. The Spanish in the translation is good and simple. I'd use it again, in class, but only with the youngest Kindergarten and 1st graders.
Kelly
Published simultaneously in the U.S., UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, A Cat and a Dog is a lovely tale of development of friendship and the different interests and skills that individuals bring to friendship.
Nick
Nov 25, 2015 Nick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite text -- when there are sounds interspersed with the rest of the text I find it hard to get into a groove -- but bonus half-star for letting me say "mordisqueando" on the regs.
Kayla Quinn
This story is about a cat and a dog who despise one another. As they play outside, the dog's ball gets stuck in the tree, then the cat's mouse toy got into the pool. They finally figure out that they can help each other. The dog goes in the pool to get the mouse toy, and the cat climbs up the tree to get the ball. I would use this book in the class to teach the American children another language other than English. If I had some Spanish speaking students in the class as well, they could help the ...more
Rachel Dalton
This is a very basic book with a predictable story line. The translation is very simple from Spanish to English, so it could be great for beginning English language learners to use in conjunction with the pictures. It also is a great example of friendship.
Susan Treat
Read it for a project i am doing
Evan
Nov 08, 2009 Evan rated it it was amazing
The characters were cat and dog. They were at home and then they went outside. They played and both lost their toys. They argued about a lot of stuff with toys and food. Then they went outside to play with their toys all by their own.

Then they both said, "Oh No." They lost their toys. The cat's went in the pond and the dog's went in the tree," and "Here dog."

They both liked each other and shared the rug.
Dolly
Nov 20, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their younger children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2013
This is a short and entertaining book about... wait for it... a cat and a dog. The narrative is short and sure to entertain young children and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. Our girls love the blue cat. We enjoyed reading this book together, even though it was a bit 'babyish' for our them.
Laree Brown
This is a great , fun, and engaging book! The text is in both English and Spanish and is about a dog and a cat who lives in the same house; but don't get along.I would read this book to a Pre-k or Kindergarten class.
Dee
Sep 11, 2010 Dee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Someone trying to learn spanish
Recommended to Dee by: Audriana
Shelves: bilingual
I really liked the simplicity of this book. Good beginner book for either english or spanish. Nice story too. I liked the last line: y ahora son los mejores amigos.
J-Lynn
A simple bilingual reader about a dog and a cat who hate each other until they need the other to save their favorite toys. Good to learn some new Spanish words.
Martha
Jan 16, 2010 Martha rated it it was amazing
This book is one of few picture books I have found written in English and Spanish. It has a great message about getting along with each other.
Susan
Aug 30, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
board book. very cute, has a good message. a cat and a dog don't get along and don't share, until one day they have to help each other out.
Lidra West
Feb 23, 2010 Lidra West rated it liked it
This is a cute little book for beginning readers both english and spanish speaking children. Fun book to have within a pre-k-1st grade clssroom.
Joanna
Aug 10, 2010 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-with-salo
My 2 yr old loves it in English and Spanish. The Spanish is beginning level so I feel comfortable reading this book in either language.
Christine Turner
PLN Theme: How to Raise a Reader

A cat and a dog are enemies until a crisis brings them together as friends. www.hcpl.net
Shala Howell
Aug 14, 2007 Shala Howell rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Cozy, my cat, finds this story to be terrifying. My 5-month old baby, likes the pictures.
Melissa
Feb 22, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Ben really liked this book AND it inspired him to be extra nice to Kate.
Paula
Aug 11, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
A cat and a dog are enemies until a crisis brings them together as friends.
Lucy
Toddlers, Pre-K, narrative skills, print awareness, problem solving, sharing.
Lindsay
May 09, 2013 Lindsay rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Recommended as a picture book for two voices, this was so so.
Annie
So funny and a great lesson about differences
Ms. Yolie
Ms. Yolie rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Laura rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Pearl Joy
Pearl Joy marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016