Bad Austen: The Worst Stories Jane Never Wrote

Bad Austen: The Worst Stories Jane Never Wrote

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Imagine "Mansfield Park" set on the Jersey Shore. Or Mr. Darcy heading up the Starship Enterprise. Or Emma Woodhouse traveling through time to indulge her matchmaking.

If you think that sounds like bad Austen, you couldn t be more right. It is a truth universally acknowledged that an author as popular as Jane Austen should be imitated, expanded upon, and parodied. Now, in t...more
Published November 15th 2011 by Adams Media Corporation (first published October 7th 2011)

Riley Redgate
Admittedly, I'm sort of biased, since my story's in here. But I had quite the good cackle over every other story, too! Oh, Jane... what would you say if you saw us now?
Nerija
I picked this up at the Jane Austen center in Bath *not bragging or anything ^_^;;* because who doesn't love a good romp through crack-tastic fanfiction? Sadly, there was no story involving Mr. Darcy heading up the Starship Enterprise, but it was still a hilarious collection.

From my Livejournal review:

Highlights:
A duck version of Pride and Prejudice.
Elizabeth and the residents of Pemberley partake in some Scooby-Doo-style mystery solving.
An Austen-style conversation between Katie Couric and Sar...more
Kristin
To be fair, Bad Austen is exactly what it advertises to be: 500 word snippets written in the style of Jane Austen, but done so intentionally poorly. Part of my problem with the book is that I wanted a better concept with the same title. I would have preferred complete short stories instead of a chapter for one thing. Give me a chance to care about what I'm reading. I also would have preferred silly scenarios such as (as the back promised but did not deliver) Mr. Darcy as the captain of the Enter...more
Debbie
as others have said, truth in advertising. the 'house' adaptation was a highlight, as were a couple of others. mostly it was just silly and painful.
Sandra
Truly the worst written variations known to man... So bad, I could not finish. At least it is true to it's name...
Cindy Kleback
Some stories were better than others, but overall, I enjoyed this book of Jane Austen fan fiction.
Laurel
Laurel marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Jana
Jana marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
S. J.
S. J. added it
Jan 21, 2014
Adrienne Savoldi
Adrienne Savoldi marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Kerrie
Kerrie marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Ceri
Ceri marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Gloria  Jackson
Gloria Jackson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2012
Rath and Storm (Magic: The Gathering: Anthology, #3) 30 Years of Adventure: A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons (D&D Retrospective) The Great White Wyrm (Dragonlance: Champions, #3) The Quotable Intellectual: 1,417 Bon Mots, Ripostes, and Witticisms for Aspiring Academics, Armchair Philosophers ...and Anyone Else Who Wants to Sound Really Smart The Unofficial Hobbit Handbook: Everything I Need to Know I Learned from Tolkien (Shire Collective)